General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
Out of curiosity, I looked up a video just now on the Top 10 Mortal Kombat fatalities. I was never really any kind of veteran at Mortal Kombat, so I can't really say I've mastered getting Fatalities with regularity. MK surely has come along since its 1992 debut. I spent a good amount of time playing the first and second games on the Super Nintendo, and I haven't really touched Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition on the PS3 since getting it. The Brutalities in the MK series make the Ultra Combos of the Killer Instinct series look tame. Speaking of...

If there was a fighting game I wouldn't mind playing again, it would be the first Killer Instinct. My favorite fighter in that game was Jago. I even liked Orchid in that game. To my recollection, I don't think I've EVER executed an Ultra Combo. Maybe some C-C-Combo Breakers, but never any combos north of 30 hits.

KI was really weird to me when I tried extending combos. I still remember just mashing buttons and praying to get 30+ hits
t-shirt-of-the-day-mash-until-it-works-20110428070934491-000.jpg

One of the most successful fighting game series in gaming history is the Samurai Shodown series. Well just today, I learned of a 3D Samurai Shodown called "Samurai Shodown Sen." My original reaction is that this is a 3D diversion from the classic 2D games, much like when there was the Street Fighter EX games apart from Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha. From what I've seen this "Samurai Shodown Sen" is more like SNK's answer to NAMCO-Bandai's "Soul Calibur."

One of the most successful fighting game series in gaming history is the Samurai Shodown series. Well just today, I learned of a 3D Samurai Shodown called "Samurai Shodown Sen." My original reaction is that this is a 3D diversion from the classic 2D games, much like when there was the Street Fighter EX games apart from Street Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha. From what I've seen this "Samurai Shodown Sen" is more like SNK's answer to NAMCO-Bandai's "Soul Calibur."

The only good thing to come from Samurai Shodown Sen was the character art. Everything else was awful.

As for the best SamSho game... It's a bit of a tie between II, V: Special & SamSho VI AKA "Samurai Shodown: Tenka". Specifically because SamSho 2 was the game that ignited the series popularity, SamSho V: Special fixed all of the issues with the original release of V (Awful balance across the cast, no blood, returning Boss Characters made playable and not broken competitively etc. etc.) and SamSho Tenka for being the "Every Samurai Shodown Character, Gameplay Style and Stage ever: The Game".

Last edited:
I curiously looked up Goro, Kintaro, and Motaro on YouTube. From my limited Mortal Kombat experience, I've fought against Goro and Kintaro. And let me tell you something- of those three, Kintaro is the toughest. I remember having fought Kintaro before in [the SNES version of] Mortal Kombat II. Even if you do a certain cheat code, you even get to see Kintaro stomp the crap out of the Acclaim logo. Goro was tough in his own right. However... I've NEVER played Mortal Kombat III. So I can't say I've battled Motaro. Many people have said he's basically an overpowered centaur. Tough dude nonetheless.

Of Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn, I tend to fancy Shang Tsung more. While Shao Kahn was tough, I mostly see Shao Kahn more as Mr. "You Will Die" than actually pound the crap out of me.

This was just a little old school Mortal Kombat chatter for you all. Keep on fighting! :)

So I picked up SFV for $20-something on PC and while a lot of the criticisms are warranted (the camera edits are particularly puzzling considering there's a shirtless variant for Ryu) but I find the additional characters being part of the DLC to be misleading from everything I've seen and read.

Yes, you can buy the character passes or you can grind FM and buy whoever you want. Right off the bat I ran through a few of the story missions and picked up Juri without batting an eyelid, and I'm about 50k away from getting Akuma – the only two additional characters I care about.

Also, Juri is bae. I don't even like using that word. :lol:

Picked up Aquapazza & wonder if anyone else here heard of it. This game is so rediculous it's awesome. It feels odd because it plays more like SF speed without airdashing, combos, etc. but there are double jumping and basic ABC combos, and follows your typical ABC D being assist function button layout that many modern anime games seem to do.

Glad this thread was brought back up. Get ready for quite a few Twitch mentions in this post.

I was watching a Twitch stream of "Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike." I didn't know that Urien and Gill are brothers. Both are very similar in looks and fighting style.

I've seen a few fairly good Tekken Tag Tournament 2 videos on Twitch recently also. Some of the combos I've seen from two different fighters were so insane that I thought it was like a tag team version of Killer Instinct. Insane tandem combos! Of course, I'm more like the one who'll try to rough up the other fighter as much as possible before he/she tags in his/her partner.

I wouldn't mind playing "Street Fighter V," but I seem slightly disappointed in SFV. It still seems like a fun game, but I'm not sure. I liked the new age Street Fighter since the many changes in "Street Fighter IV." Maybe I'm not connecting as much to it like the Street Fighter 2 games or Street Fighter 3 (especially 3rd Strike).

Keep playing them fightin' games! :)

I'm watching a Twitch stream of Tekken 7. The game looks great and plays very nicely. One of the characters I am watching is one of the new ones- Josie. This Pinay Princess is taking on Dragunov from my watching. Josie is a pretty good striker. She is kind of like Vanessa of Virtua Fighter with the speed of Sarah from Virtua Fighter. She isn't as serious as Vanessa, but Josie hits hard! I might enjoy using her as much as I enjoy using Jin or Eddy.

Picked up Aquapazza & wonder if anyone else here heard of it. This game is so rediculous it's awesome. It feels odd because it plays more like SF speed without airdashing, combos, etc. but there are double jumping and basic ABC combos, and follows your typical ABC D being assist function button layout that many modern anime games seem to do.

I have...it was the same year or so when Arcana Hearts/Melty Blood came out.

=====
Over the weekend I randomly entered in a SFV tournament. I didn't know what I was doing but my record was 1-2. I lost to people who knew what they were doing.

I have...it was the same year or so when Arcana Hearts/Melty Blood came out.

=====
Over the weekend I randomly entered in a SFV tournament. I didn't know what I was doing but my record was 1-2. I lost to people who knew what they were doing.

I'll play you in arcana or aquapazza if you are in the same region(western NA here). AH3LM is region locked, and there's often lots of lag in AP if you play online

i placed 3rd in online nitro+ blasterz tournament I randomly entered. made it to the finals and lost in losers finals, to some1 i beat in earlier rounds. the lag was terrible on that day, so results probably would of been different without it.
I used to play melty on pc as well, but never got decent at it. I tend to be more of an examu/aksys fan, though french bread and some doujin things have been fun to try. I even liked gleam of force for awhile, which is the french bread game no one knows of.
I never tried SFV because it doesnt interest me. the only way i'd probably own it is if someone irl really ask me to, or decides to gift me.

Hopefully that it isn't another new game. It is getting annoying when a company releases so many versions of the game because of changes.

it's an supposedly update that is $20 if you own revelator. I dont know how it'll be like if you don't own original Rev1.

other news, Arcana Heart 4 is announced with developer asking for feedback. I've been waiting forever for 6 stars console release, but I'll take AH4 over it.
http://shoryuken.com/2016/12/19/examu-is-working-on-a-new-arcana-heart-game/

Square is making Million Arthur Arcana Blood, which might be good. the name and style really reminds me of Examu and doujinsoft things mixed, eventhough it has nothing to do with Examu, and it's by square.

i buy every fighter thats releases on ps3, but i dont have the time to get proper in to them, i only try and play sf2 hd remix regularly, the game is beautiful and plays so good.

i agree too many fighter revisions get released, you have to unlearn stuff and a waste of time, when your gaming time is so limited. most games can be good with a small dlc patch, but devs milk it with a full release. its one of the reasons im sticking with ps3 and not upgrading, so many fighters and so little time.

i think the only ps3 fighter i do not own is capcom's jojo's HD, that got delisted. i dont buy the psn classics releases unless its nostalgia purchase like cvs2, kof 98 or garou.
the best purchase ive made for ps3 has to be street fighter 2 turbo hyper fighting ps one classic, plays and sounds like the arcade, and it gave me no reason to keep my snes which i sold for 300 GBP on ebay a couple months back.

i buy every fighter thats releases on ps3, but i dont have the time to get proper in to them, i only try and play sf2 hd remix regularly, the game is beautiful and plays so good.

i agree too many fighter revisions get released, you have to unlearn stuff and a waste of time, when your gaming time is so limited. most games can be good with a small dlc patch, but devs milk it with a full release. its one of the reasons im sticking with ps3 and not upgrading, so many fighters and so little time.

i think the only ps3 fighter i do not own is capcom's jojo's HD, that got delisted. i dont buy the psn classics releases unless its nostalgia purchase like cvs2, kof 98 or garou.
the best purchase ive made for ps3 has to be street fighter 2 turbo hyper fighting ps one classic, plays and sounds like the arcade, and it gave me no reason to keep my snes which i sold for 300 GBP on ebay a couple months back.

Blazblue had a free patch update in 1 version. you can't blame re releases, because company needs to make money. There's also the fact that people always want better balance, more characters, etc. new mechanics make the game interesting an fresh things out. It's nothing new since SF2 was doing it in the snes days. Learning new things is just part of fighting games in general. I do it all the time and sometimes by accident in the same version. but it might be that airdashers are more diverse than old school style games.

I was thinking it might be a good idea for more fighters to take the DOA5LR route. free to play, pay for content or buy full version if you like it. it would help keep community alive, and get new players into it.

since you got lots of fighters, I'll play you in arcana heart, aquapazza, nitroplus, blazblue or guilty gear if you want.

Blazblue had a free patch update in 1 version. you can't blame re releases, because company needs to make money. There's also the fact that people always want better balance, more characters, etc. new mechanics make the game interesting an fresh things out. It's nothing new since SF2 was doing it in the snes days. Learning new things is just part of fighting games in general. I do it all the time and sometimes by accident in the same version. but it might be that airdashers are more diverse than old school style games.

I was thinking it might be a good idea for more fighters to take the DOA5LR route. free to play, pay for content or buy full version if you like it. it would help keep community alive, and get new players into it.

since you got lots of fighters, I'll play you in arcana heart, aquapazza, nitroplus, blazblue or guilty gear if you want.

add me on psn, same id as here, im in uk,

i purchased the US version of the games because sometimes theres region locks on the online play

PS i only keep the latest version on my hdd, so i can play you in love max, central fiction, revelator and nitroplus, if you got an earlier version just let me know and ill reinstall it

Last edited:
On Twitch, I saw a stream of "Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-." This game has very smooth graphics along with the usual insanity of Guilty Gear games. I personally have never played a Guilty Gear game. Seeing this game on the PlayStation 4 is incredible along with the brief animé cutscenes. Maybe if you fancy more hand-drawn graphics, the somewhat 3D style backgrounds may disappoint; but the graphics are otherwise very beautiful.

I don't think it's nearly as dynamic in looks as SF5 or Pokken. Nor is it as crisp as Tekken. I think the characters have always been more interesting move set wise and ability wise than other fighting games.

It's a nice looking game, but I think why GGXRD is actually regarded as a good fighting game and has tournaments with decent payouts is because of its gameplay being probably better than the others.

For me, Guilty Gear is regarded as a very technical game,fun and fast paced.
( Some people think that Max should not be followed and not a legit source to learn things)

For the love of Dizzy:

Recent Best at Evo2016

Last edited:
I seriously don't understand the hate for Max. Ever since I found him prior to the release of Street Fighter, I've noticed he's got massive hate towards him.

A lot of the accusations is a bit overboard. Playing the CPU is a common tactic in getting B-Roll footage for your videos. If my channel is more focused on the FGC, then I would be doing the exact same thing, and **** the consequences. Getting B-Roll footage about a certain character in a game is intended to make the character look good. Sometimes you don't always succeed, but the result of that is you, the player improving.

Max has never once called himself an expert player. He is just someone who just loves fighting games and wishes to center his content around it. So what if he is more successful than 99.9% of the tournaments who stream on the same day that his content releases. I don't see any tournaments out there actually DOING SOMETHING that helps beginning/casual players improve their game. I mean, what is an hour or so during a slow point in the tournament (like pools for example) where the streaming station is actually TEACHING the game that they are playing in the tournament. It is not that difficult, and if most tournaments, especially majors, learn to adopt that, it would eliminate 90% of Max's influence on the FGC right there.

Sometimes his energy is too much for me. Sorry if my comment bout Max has lead to a conflict.

What conflict? :confused:

All I said was I just didn't understand the hatred he gets.

Again, what conflict?

All that I simply stated is that if tournaments are so pissed off that Max is getting views during their tournaments, especially majors, then they need to put their money where their mouth is and actually educate newbies/casuals on top level play, not just showcasing it.

Max is actually doing a great service to the community, and if they are pissed off that he isn't a top level player, then maybe they should look in the mirror and wonder why they are not educating the casual players and challenging them to improve. The simple answer is that the FGC, as a small whole, wants to be exclusive.

If that wasn't true, then we would be hearing less of Daigo today than we actually are, and Justin Wong would have moved on from top-level Marvel play a lot sooner than he actually did.

Played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on Xbox One last week for first time, surprised you can play online still on it and seem to get new fights quicker than SFV. Nearly won first fight, then won against a better fighter next time as found a button mashing combo just at the right time they couldn't deal with to win. So close to losing 0-3 but ended up winning 3-2. Game DVR had an error so didn't record.

Finally got around to trying out Killer Instinct Classic with the new S controller today, works so much better than the original controller from what I remember. Much easier to do the moves, similar to SNES level but a lot more comfortable. Still prefer the PS4 controller though, noticed it doesn't feel as good on FIFA 17 the analogue sticks.

Here is a short clip of KI, tried to get Cinder near the edge before executing Ultra.

Microsoft should at least offer an option of increasing clip recording to at least a minute from 30 seconds. So used to 15 minutes on PS4, 30 seconds is way too short and 5 minutes snapping the app is too much hassle and still too short for FIFA games. Missed out on recording Eyedol Ultra finish which was a better move than above, the 30 seconds was too short.

Back