General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
no fun

no-fun_o_2277665.jpg

I don't care about sf, kof, etc any more. examu ftw. playing and trying to learn nitro+ blasterz atm, which is just 1 week old. here's a trailer of it

and a few matches of me playing my all time favorite ps3 fighter, arcana heart 3 love max, online casual matches

the only other fighters I'll probably get this year is ggxrd revelator, bbcf, and ah3lmsss if that gets a console announcement

I am really enjoying SFV and as a total scrub this seems like the best game to get into the series. Fighting game wise I don't venture outside BlazBlue or Smash usually but I am proper enjoying a new experience.

Right now I main Chun-Li but Rashid is tempting to switch over to.

I was going to pre-order Street Fighter V AND Mortal Kombat XL until I had to replace some things in my house :(

I'm still getting this game though, been a while since I played Street Fighter (sorta got carried away with Tekken and MK) and this seriously is the first one I've got my eyes on. I'll likely will be having a long way to go since this is back on the traditional 2d Style fighting of old but so is MKX.

Earlier today, I saw a video from last year of Mortal Kombat X. I've never been much a Mortal Kombat fan (I am more used to the classic ones), but I saw a match somebody set up between MK originals Scorpion and Sub Zero. Man... Scorpion is just crazy awesome with all kinds of ways to pick you apart. I don't have Mortal Kombat X. Heck, I've barely played Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition since that one time I played it.

Street Fighter V and King of Fighters XIV will surely be the rivalry among today's fighting games. I sure would want to play both if I had the opportunity.

So I did abit of a comparison between the PlayStation Store and Gamestop regarding the price of Mortal Kombat XL and both have the game on offer for $59.99. So I'm literally stuck at either making this the second PS4 game I get as a physical copy or as another downloaded game. Hmmm...

Maybe I'm old school and old-fashioned, but I prefer physical copies rather than digital downloads. That's why in an off-topic sense, I got GTR2 on Amazon with a physical copy as opposed to the Steam download. It's my own personal preference.

Bit the bullet and got the physical copy. I don't hate digital downloads but there's just way too much crap going with PSN to even chance it.

Also, first gameplay of Akuma in Tekken 7:

As well as Nina Williams:

SFV is good;Capcom has alot of buffering to do if they want it to be a diamond.
Anime fighters? What about Dengi Buko Climax Reignited? I main Chun and Ken for now.

Have you heard of Skullgirls or Melty Blood or Dengi Bunko Climax?
skull girls, i tried demo, but prefer jp asthetics. never cared much about it. melty blood, i played a little a long time ago, fun but never got too good at it, and can't beat anyone online, or and never learn it too well. dengeki bunko, i thought of getting but ignition was out in jp already, and nitro+ looked a lot better, so i skipped it.

you might throw undernight in birth into the mix, which i tried a little, but never got around to learning any game spefic tactics, or mechanics. i never understood how the grid worked.

I didnt throw in uniel because its didnt cross my mind. Anime fighters is fun though..well all of them. Including Waku Waku 7, Sailor moon R and probably Yu yu hakasho

Today, I had a chance to see reviews of "Street Fighter V" and even check out a little video on "Tekken 7: Fatal Retribution." It seemed like a lack of features for SFV killed it for most people. I do have interest in that whole V-System, though. It's probably a unique sort of system than the Isms in "Street Fighter Alpha 3" or any of the Grooves from... I am sorry I am not as educated on SNK fighting games. Whatever game/series I am thinking of fails me right now. I also have heard of how much "Street Fighter V" has sort of deviated from the past play style and atmosphere like with the Street Fighter 2 series.

As for "Tekken 7: Fatal Retribution," it is safe to say Tekken has come a very long way. The game known previously as Rave War would grow up to become the fabulous fighter known as Tekken. Still the only major Tekken I haven't played or played enough of is Tekken 4. I think Tekken 7 is going to be quite exciting and even offer up a bit of strategy. More so than Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Like... how are you going to play the Rage deal? This could probably bridge the gap for traditional Tekken fighters and the Street Fighter types. With "Tekken 7: Fatal Retribution," it will be interesting to see using Akuma/Gouki in the Tekken realm. When it comes to the Rage Arts, they seem best like desparation moves. I saw a video noting that the Rage Arts seem to deal more damage the less health you have. So this is going to add a good amount of strategy in fights. For the most part, a lot of the Rage Arts seem to extend the juggling aspect of fights. Some purists sort of argue that juggling isn't fighting.

Besides all of this and off-topic, I also sort of learned that the old fighting game "Star Gladiator" is also called "Plasma Sword." I curiously came up with this on a random search after I released a 3D model I called "Plasma Sword." "Star Gladitor" was a pretty cool fighting game when I played it on the PS1. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did with "Rival Schools," though among PS1 fighting games.

I agree on the comparison of Isms to V-skill but SFV reminds me a lot like Third Strike's play style.

T7's rage mode is basically the Revenge gauge in SFIV..or just extending damage.
Star Gladiator had the character Hayato Kanzaki, who also appeared in Marvel vs Capcom 2.
hayato-mv2.jpg

I am familiar with Hayato in the MVC series as I had Hayato as a downloaded character in the popular PC game engine MUGEN.

One thing I forgot to mention was that in addition to the games I saw videos for, I also looked up Soul Calibur V. My only experience in this series was Soul Edge in the arcades and Soul Calibur on the PS1. Seung Mina was my character mostly. Besides that, maybe the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2 (with Link). You still can't out dudes like Siegfried and Cervantes. Voldo is like the Yoshimitsu of Soul Calibur in terms of weirdos. But with Soul Calibur V, I wanted to see if was as good as most of the other Soul Calibur games.

[UPDATE] typo made and replaced (accidentally typed "Doul" Calibur instead of "Soul Calibur").

Last edited:
Last night, I tried to find some videos on Fighting Climax from SEGA. It is a beautifully styled game with some crazy looking super attacks. I first learned of Fighting Climax when I was at a Best Buy and had some interest in what this game was like. I am not as educated about anime or anime-style games, but the only game series that comes to mind for me in thinking of Fighting Climax is maybe the Guilty Gear series.

Yeah. That game. I thought it was pretty cool based on videos I've seen.

I also was kind of impressed seeing "J-Stars Victory vs." done by IGN. While not as educated on anime, it still looks like a very cool game.

Hadn't played DOA5:CF in ages but gave it another go today when I saw Momiji was added for free.

Never got around to playing the new Killer Instinct game online when I had a Xbox One. As I've updated Windows 10 recently, decided to give it a quick try. Managed to win my first online match, surprised I managed to do a 19 hit Beastly Combo button mashing especially against someone who pulled off a lot of combo breakers.
KI.png

I placed 2nd today an SFV tourney.
Congratulations. I'm going to take part in a Capcom Pro Tour Premier Event next month at EGX. I plan to get the game next month and try and learn as much as possible so I don't look completely terrible. Do you have any tips for a complete noob like me?

Congratulations. I'm going to take part in a Capcom Pro Tour Premier Event next month at EGX. I plan to get the game next month and try and learn as much as possible so I don't look completely terrible. Do you have any tips for a complete noob like me?
Play locally; online matches can go so far. Play casuals when you do go to the tournament and such. You may get a feel how others play aside from what your going to need to work on. Shoryuken.com has a lot of great stuff, users like Bafael, Maximillian D00D, etc are good sources to see how to play certain characters.
https://www.youtube.com/user/moonlitearthx14/featured

A old method that could work is if you play locally, record your matches and review them to see what you did wrong and what not.

Play locally; online matches can go so far. Play casuals when you do go to the tournament and such. You may get a feel how others play aside from what your going to need to work on. Shoryuken.com has a lot of great stuff, users like Bafael, Maximillian D00D, etc are good sources to see how to play certain characters.
https://www.youtube.com/user/moonlitearthx14/featured

A old method that could work is if you play locally, record your matches and review them to see what you did wrong and what not.
Thanks for the recommendations. 👍

I go to the following sites
Capcom needs:
Shoryuken.com

Arcsystem work needs:
Dustloop.com

Namco needs:
TekkenZaibatsu.com
8wayrun.com

Sadly this is a Granturismo site that I been going for almost 13 years :lol:

Back