General Model Kit Building Thread

Good to see a new update from you @barryf1fan. I've actually completed the GT-R. Sorry about not many update photos. The kit was just a fairly simple build.
My post is fairly long and kind of picture heavy, so I've decided to split it into two and hide it in spoiler tags.

I did snap a few pictures of the interior before finishing though. I'm quite happy with it. Not sure why the flocking looks blueish. Doesn't look that way in person.
20200502_233754.jpg

I'm especially happy with the masking work I did on the steering wheel.

20200430_225802.jpg

The silver trim in general came out very well.
20200430_211108.jpg

Snapped a picture of the underside as well. This is one area where the kit is a royal pain in the backside. There is a ton of masking to do for the aluminium pieces. The left side of the exhaust is a separate piece, then it connects to a piece that's moulded into the floorpan. It was an absolute nightmare to mask. And just to rub some salt in the wound , there's more masking needed, since part of the black area is painted in gloss. This was all pretty damn tedious.
20200502_235340.jpg

I didn't really take any pictures beyond this point. All that I could take pictures of was the engine bay and I didn't think that was too exciting. Just more obnoxious masking really.

DSCN8083.JPG

DSCN8086.JPG

DSCN8091.JPG

DSCN8097.JPG

Those with a good eye might have spotted that the T in GT-R is missing on the front emblem. I have absolutely no clue how I managed to knock if off at some point, but... lesson learned I suppose. Be ultra careful with metal transfers. I'm also not really happy with the finish. Part of my issue was using a spray can clear coat, which tends to have pretty bad orange peel. At least if I'm using it. That calls for a lot of very tedious sanding and polishing which is a surefire way to accidentally strip the clear+paint off the car. I did that a few times and it was all just a nightmare, so I sort of rushed through it in the end. You can see that some spots are a bit more matted than others, but just the thought of polishing an area and going through the paint somewhere again... not now, please. :lol:
To be entirely honest, I'm not the biggest JDM fan in the first place. So sorry to those who really like the GT-R, but this was more of a practice run for cars I like more. :lol: For sure my interior work has improved massively since the last car I built. And my masking ability. I think I did a great job masking all the tedious pieces. Just need to nail that finish next time. For my next car I'll certainly get a hold of a clear coat I can use with my airbrush. I think it'll be an enormous help.

But wait, there's more!
As I've been waiting for the paint and clear coat to finish, I had free time to start on a new model. And this one's interesting. It's a Revell HMS Bounty 1:110 sailing ship model. And it is very old. The mould is from 1958, though I have the rebox from 2002. But it didn't really add anything. It's still just an old kit.

I decided to start with the deck as I saw a lot of work that needs to be done to get this thing up to a higher standard. The next picture shows several of the issues with it. First off is the raised plank detail. Not too awful to be honest, but they make any sort of work on the deck much harder, since fixing anything would require me to try and replicate the raised pattern. No idea how I would do that. And there is a lot of fixing needed. As you can see, Revell of 1958 decided it'd be a splendid idea to mould a copyright symbol right on the deck for all to see. There are also several ejection pin marks all over the deck. Another issue are the grates. They're just holes with a dead end and don't really look that great. I've decided to replace them, which is why there's a hole on the right of the picture. It's not just the grates either. I've essentially removed all detail on this thing and plan on scratch building most of it. There are several features that are outright missing from the kit as well, so I'll make those too.
20200509_211948.jpg

Another angle showing the entire deck mid mutilation.
20200509_212629.jpg

For the grates I decided to try something interesting. I've had a 3D printer since January and often wondered if it'd be of any use for model building. Most of the time the answer is not really, because the surface detail on FDM printers just isn't that great. And since the materials you can use aren't as easy to work with as styrene, scratch building is usually easier. But the grates with a lot of geometrically perfect parallel tiny holes? Much easier to print.
So I went to town designing a few pieces based on the ones on the kit. Here are two of them dry fitted. You can also see the planking is all gone, which took a loooot of sanding.
20200511_225734.jpg

I needed to add some material to the holes I cut out, which I did with styrene and cyanoacrylate. The rear hole was plugged with a piece of styrene, because there actually shouldn't be a grate there at all, but a little shack that covers the rudder head. And a flag shack behind it. Both the rudder head housing and the flag shack will be scratch built, as the flag shack is missing and the rudder head housing doesn't look very good out of the box. I also had to cut two additional holes at the front of the deck, as those should have little grates (called scuttles apparently) as well. Another detail missing from the kit.
20200515_212516.jpg

With all this done I started scribing planks on the deck. I won't lie, this was extremely tedious. I wasn't worried about making them perfect. I don't know if planks back then would all be the same width anyway, but the illusion is good enough anyway as long as the lines are parallel. But getting them parallel is actually a bigger ask than it seems at first. And every mistake called for some cyanoacrylate to fill the line, then sanding to get it back down to the same level as the deck... yikes.
20200517_132038.jpg

To make this job less daunting, I decided to do something else to break up the monotony. The hull also has raised surface detail. Which I would be fine with, but it's wrong. The HMS Bounty is known to have had copper plating on the hull. The kit has wood detail. Oh no... I started sanding the hull...
20200516_190952.jpg

Eventually I finished all the deck scribing. I then painted it, just to see if... or rather where I made any mistakes. I also plugged all the locating pins as I won't be needing them. After all the length-wise scribing was done, I broke up the now freakishly long planks with... a bit more scribing.
20200520_231543.jpg

And finally, I also scratch built that rudder head housing.
20200520_225441.jpg

You could say that I've been busy. This old kit is making me wonder how @Volksauto is getting on with his model A though.

And, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, since this is just a hobby and not something I make money from, but if anyone is interested, I've started live streaming my model building on twitch. I'll probably also make a youtube video when I'm done.

Last edited:
Good to see a new update from you @barryf1fan. I've actually completed the GT-R. Sorry about not many update photos. The kit was just a fairly simple build.
My post is fairly long and kind of picture heavy, so I've decided to split it into two and hide it in spoiler tags.

I did snap a few pictures of the interior before finishing though. I'm quite happy with it. Not sure why the flocking looks blueish. Doesn't look that way in person.
View attachment 922491

I'm especially happy with the masking work I did on the steering wheel.

View attachment 922492

The silver trim in general came out very well.
View attachment 922493

Snapped a picture of the underside as well. This is one area where the kit is a royal pain in the backside. There is a ton of masking to do for the aluminium pieces. The left side of the exhaust is a separate piece, then it connects to a piece that's moulded into the floorpan. It was an absolute nightmare to mask. And just to rub some salt in the wound , there's more masking needed, since part of the black area is painted in gloss. This was all pretty damn tedious.
View attachment 922494

I didn't really take any pictures beyond this point. All that I could take pictures of was the engine bay and I didn't think that was too exciting. Just more obnoxious masking really.

View attachment 922495
View attachment 922496

View attachment 922497

View attachment 922498

Those with a good eye might have spotted that the T in GT-R is missing on the front emblem. I have absolutely no clue how I managed to knock if off at some point, but... lesson learned I suppose. Be ultra careful with metal transfers. I'm also not really happy with the finish. Part of my issue was using a spray can clear coat, which tends to have pretty bad orange peel. At least if I'm using it. That calls for a lot of very tedious sanding and polishing which is a surefire way to accidentally strip the clear+paint off the car. I did that a few times and it was all just a nightmare, so I sort of rushed through it in the end. You can see that some spots are a bit more matted than others, but just the thought of polishing an area and going through the paint somewhere again... not now, please. :lol:
To be entirely honest, I'm not the biggest JDM fan in the first place. So sorry to those who really like the GT-R, but this was more of a practice run for cars I like more. :lol: For sure my interior work has improved massively since the last car I built. And my masking ability. I think I did a great job masking all the tedious pieces. Just need to nail that finish next time. For my next car I'll certainly get a hold of a clear coat I can use with my airbrush. I think it'll be an enormous help.

But wait, there's more!
As I've been waiting for the paint and clear coat to finish, I had free time to start on a new model. And this one's interesting. It's a Revell HMS Bounty 1:110 sailing ship model. And it is very old. The mould is from 1958, though I have the rebox from 2002. But it didn't really add anything. It's still just an old kit.

I decided to start with the deck as I saw a lot of work that needs to be done to get this thing up to a higher standard. The next picture shows several of the issues with it. First off is the raised plank detail. Not too awful to be honest, but they make any sort of work on the deck much harder, since fixing anything would require me to try and replicate the raised pattern. No idea how I would do that. And there is a lot of fixing needed. As you can see, Revell of 1958 decided it'd be a splendid idea to mould a copyright symbol right on the deck for all to see. There are also several ejection pin marks all over the deck. Another issue are the grates. They're just holes with a dead end and don't really look that great. I've decided to replace them, which is why there's a hole on the right of the picture. It's not just the grates either. I've essentially removed all detail on this thing and plan on scratch building most of it. There are several features that are outright missing from the kit as well, so I'll make those too.
View attachment 922499

Another angle showing the entire deck mid mutilation.
View attachment 922501

For the grates I decided to try something interesting. I've had a 3D printer since January and often wondered if it'd be of any use for model building. Most of the time the answer is not really, because the surface detail on FDM printers just isn't that great. And since the materials you can use aren't as easy to work with as styrene, scratch building is usually easier. But the grates with a lot of geometrically perfect parallel tiny holes? Much easier to print.
So I went to town designing a few pieces based on the ones on the kit. Here are two of them dry fitted. You can also see the planking is all gone, which took a loooot of sanding.
View attachment 922502

I needed to add some material to the holes I cut out, which I did with styrene and cyanoacrylate. The rear hole was plugged with a piece of styrene, because there actually shouldn't be a grate there at all, but a little shack that covers the rudder head. And a flag shack behind it. Both the rudder head housing and the flag shack will be scratch built, as the flag shack is missing and the rudder head housing doesn't look very good out of the box. I also had to cut two additional holes at the front of the deck, as those should have little grates (called scuttles apparently) as well. Another detail missing from the kit.
View attachment 922503

With all this done I started scribing planks on the deck. I won't lie, this was extremely tedious. I wasn't worried about making them perfect. I don't know if planks back then would all be the same width anyway, but the illusion is good enough anyway as long as the lines are parallel. But getting them parallel is actually a bigger ask than it seems at first. And every mistake called for some cyanoacrylate to fill the line, then sanding to get it back down to the same level as the deck... yikes.
View attachment 922505

To make this job less daunting, I decided to do something else to break up the monotony. The hull also has raised surface detail. Which I would be fine with, but it's wrong. The HMS Bounty is known to have had copper plating on the hull. The kit has wood detail. Oh no... I started sanding the hull...
View attachment 922506

Eventually I finished all the deck scribing. I then painted it, just to see if... or rather where I made any mistakes. I also plugged all the locating pins as I won't be needing them. After all the length-wise scribing was done, I broke up the now freakishly long planks with... a bit more scribing.
View attachment 922507

And finally, I also scratch built that rudder head housing.
View attachment 922508

You could say that I've been busy. This old kit is making me wonder how @Volksauto is getting on with his model A though.

And, I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, since this is just a hobby and not something I make money from, but if anyone is interested, I've started live streaming my model building on twitch. I'll probably also make a youtube video when I'm done.

Build looks great @Apok !!! Cool you're doing something different now. I pretty much stick with things that have wheels and you drive. :lol:

One Ducati done, another one started. Doing this one as a buddy build on another site.
Going to do this kit a little different - and first time to do a kit other than how it looks on the box.
Not sure my idea will look too good, as the box art looks great, but we'll see - I wanna try it...

Made a start over the last few days.

Getting the parts separated out. Don't always do a kit this way, but these bikes
have so many parts that it's just easier to keep track.

enhance

enhance

Got some red shoes instead of the kit instructed black...

enhance

Engine and exhaust done up. Little too much colorization on the pipes, but had some new Alclad
metal paints I wanted to try and you don't see the pipes once the fairing are on.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for looking!! :cheers:

Decided I would finally build some kits I've had sitting around for many years, got some paint and all good to go but... I somehow misplaced the instruction manuals for all three. Why they weren't in the boxes is beyond me and I have no idea where they are. :banghead:

49953264397_f48d42fa3c_c.jpg

If you can't find them, they're all available here if you scroll down a little, I've linked the lancer page. You can search for the other two cars as they also have those.

If you can't find them, they're all available here if you scroll down a little, I've linked the lancer page. You can search for the other two cars as they also have those.
Very good, thank you for the link! I was able to find all three. Time to get building.

Decided I would finally build some kits I've had sitting around for many years, got some paint and all good to go but... I somehow misplaced the instruction manuals for all three. Why they weren't in the boxes is beyond me and I have no idea where they are. :banghead:

49953264397_f48d42fa3c_c.jpg

Nice collection of some of the major players in the '01 WRC Championship! Will be a great collection when you get them built! I built the Focus up in McRae's car and have one in the stash to do Carlos Sainz car, too. Need to get it done.

Have fun building those - love the WRC cars. 👍

Little more progress on the Tamiya Ducati 1199 Panigale Tricolore.
I got a pin vise and some bits in to drill the brake rotors out.

Haven't had a ton of free time to work on this one, but enjoying it when I do.

This is how the brake discs look out of the kit - not very realistic looking, to say the least. :lol:

enhance

enhance

But with a little bit of work, paint and time they start looking a bit "believable".

enhance

enhance

Painted the disc a stainless steel and the bracket/hub semi-gloss black as the instructions called out. Kinda wished I would have painted the hub portion a dark gun metal, as I think that would have added a bit more interest to the brake disc, but oh well, maybe next time.

enhance

Got the swing arm and the rear brake & chain installed.

enhance

enhance

Working on the front and rear suspension parts now and hope to have some more progress soon, Thanks for looking in!

Not a lot of progress, but was quite a bit of fiddly work...
Got the rear suspension on and a few of the supply lines.
Had to paint the spring yellow as it was black from the kit - even though it supposed to be yellow.:rolleyes:

enhance

enhance

Also have the front suspension about 90% done - needs one more color and assembled.
Thanks for looking! 👍

That bike is looking tidy @barryf1fan, nice work. I especially like how you improved the brake discs.

I've also been busy working on my ship. Since my last post I've sanded the hull and scribed in the copper plates.

20200602_125628.jpg

Which seems simple enough, but it took a very long time. Since my last post I've basically been sanding, scribing, filling, sanding again and rescribing the hull until today. Any small mistake called for filling it in with super clue, making it level and fixing the mistake. Creating the lines so they look right in the first place wasn't easy at all since it's a curved surface. The entire process took longer than I thought and I knew it'd take a long time.

But while doing that, I worked on some other pieces just to keep me sane.
I scratchbuilt the steering wheel as the original one didn't have enough spokes, plus they're far too thick. The new one was made with a piece of sprue, a 1cm diameter tube and some brass tubes. It was fairly challenging keeping all the spokes looking straight, but I think I did an alright job.
20200525_213346.jpg

I also greatly enhanced the windlass. For all of those non-nautical types (such as myself really), the windlass is the winch used to pull in the anchor of a ship.
20200601_231716.jpg

The off-white plastic is 3D-printed, the white plastic is styrene and the brown plastic is the kit piece. As you can see, almost none of the original windlass remains.

20200604_221454.jpg

And there it is all painted. The 3D printed parts were very messy, but they cleaned up well and saved me the trouble of figuring out how to make square holes at such a small scale.

I also finally got to paint the deck. I started with enamel paints. An overall off-white coat of paint with a few individual planks painted a slightly different colour.
20200605_144152.jpg

I then applied a coat of dark brown oil paint and removed most of it with some cloth. I then brushed it around with a stiff brush to get a woodgrain effect.
20200605_214120.jpg

Still a bit shiny as I'm waiting for the paint to dry as I'm writing this. I'll seal it with flat varnish tomorrow.

I need to fix up the two hull sides a bit more and then I can finally assemble the two halves and the hull. That way scratch building more of the details on the deck will be easier.
I've also started work on a Messerschmitt BF-109 in 1/48th scale, but I don't have much progress to show on that one yet.

Last edited:
Boat is looking great Apok... I would be a little nervous to try a boat (of any kind) as I've only ever done models with wheels. :lol:
And that steering wheel you scratch built looks fantastic - will look the business once all painted up. 👍

That bike is looking tidy @barryf1fan, nice work. I especially like how you improved the brake discs.

I've also been busy working on my ship. Since my last post I've sanded the hull and scribed in the copper plates.

View attachment 927580

Which seems simple enough, but it took a very long time. Since my last post I've basically been sanding, scribing, filling, sanding again and rescribing the hull until today. Any small mistake called for filling it in with super clue, making it level and fixing the mistake. Creating the lines so they look right in the first place wasn't easy at all since it's a curved surface. The entire process took longer than I thought and I knew it'd take a long time.

But while doing that, I worked on some other pieces just to keep me sane.
I scratchbuilt the steering wheel as the original one didn't have enough spokes, plus they're far too thick. The new one was made with a piece of sprue, a 1cm diameter tube and some brass tubes. It was fairly challenging keeping all the spokes looking straight, but I think I did an alright job.
View attachment 927583

I also greatly enhanced the windlass. For all of those non-nautical types (such as myself really), the windlass is the winch used to pull in the anchor of a ship.View attachment 927584

The off-white plastic is 3D-printed, the white plastic is styrene and the brown plastic is the kit piece. As you can see, almost none of the original windlass remains.

View attachment 927585
And there it is all painted. The 3D printed parts were very messy, but they cleaned up well and saved me the trouble of figuring out how to make square holes at such a small scale.

I also finally got to paint the deck. I started with enamel paints. An overall off-white coat of paint with a few individual planks painted a slightly different colour.
View attachment 927587

I then applied a coat of dark brown oil paint and removed most of it with some cloth. I then brushed it around with a stiff brush to get a woodgrain effect.
View attachment 927588

Still a bit shiny as I'm waiting for the paint to dry as I'm writing this. I'll seal it with flat varnish tomorrow.

I need to fix up the two hull sides a bit more and then I can finally assemble the two halves and the hull. That way scratch building more of the details on the deck will be easier.
I've also started work on a Messerschmitt BF-109 in 1/48th scale, but I don't have much progress to show on that one yet.
Very awesome work so far!
- -
I’ve been busy the past few months and haven’t been able to sit down and build like I wanted to. In the mean time, here is a pic of an older build I did of a BMW Isetta 250:
8B6F86D7-ED0E-4130-9C7A-1651FDDA1EA7.jpeg

I've got four models sat in my wardrobe calling me to start them again, so I need a mass order of paints. Do you think I can find Flat White anywhere, either Tamiya XF-2 or Revell 36305? Is there a worldwide shortage of the stuff?

EDIT: So I got a phone call from a model shop I ordered my paints from, and they're only around 10 minutes away from me, so they're going to hold the paints aside for me and I can pick them up on Saturday.

While I had him on the phone, I asked about XF-2 flat white paint. Turns out there is a worldwide shortage of it - most retailers are out and Tamiya can't ship it out quickly enough...

Last edited:
That Ducati is looking excellent @barryf1fan. Great work!

I've done more work on the ship. I've finally gotten the two hull halves together and the deck installed.

20200615_124049.jpg

Also got all the grates painted and in place. Broke off the left scratchbuilt fence in the process... I'll just reattach it when I'm done fiddling with it so much.

WIN_20200621_00_12_57_Pro.jpg

Here's that rudder head housing I showed before, on the left. And the flag locker on the right. The door looks oddly shaped, but that's actually what it was like on the real thing! All scratch built. Painted yellow because that's the undercoat for the oil paints.

20200617_231715.jpg

Finally one of the two lanterns that were missing from the kit. I again used 3D printing to make the individual pieces and then glued them together. It looks a bit messy, but keep the scale in mind. Those are millimetres on the right. Not painted yet of course.

WIN_20200621_00_10_50_Pro.jpg

And here is the same lamp with less cleanup and the individual pieces needed to make it. Those are for the other lantern. As you can see, they're pretty messy, so a lot of cleanup is needed.

20200619_223218.jpg

That's it. Doesn't seem like that much in hindsight, but I also did some more scribing on the hull, so that is 95% done now. Just the keel left.
The scratchbuilding takes quite a long time, even if I do have 3D printing to help out.

I’ve been working on this 1958 Plymouth from an AMT kit. Most people who build this kit build it as a red/white Christine but I’m taking a different route and decided to build a Plymouth Fury in Buckskin Beige. No Plymouth Fury was offered in red or any other color in 1958. The Fury also came with special gold trim with a brown and white interior.
27C47199-C78F-43DF-8BCD-545788F846B7.jpeg

I painted the car Tamiya Racing White. It’s just a tad brighter than Buckskin Beige but I’m just going to roll with it.
EF44360B-E26E-4A21-881B-D2CA9907097D.jpeg

C8A3525F-B09C-42B2-9D0C-6D62723C3681.jpeg

Fury’s had gold hubcap centers so those were painted.
EB120F87-10F2-43C2-94A9-35022DE01E70.jpeg

The motor on this kit is a let down. Fury’s had dual carbs and air cleaners. I could’ve fixed this with the AMT 1957 Chrysler 300 kit but I don’t have one as a doner. I might wire the engine but with it’s inaccuracies I’m not sure if it’s worth it.
This is the intake setup on a real Fury:
upload_2020-6-22_12-12-49.jpeg

Not all '58 Furies had dual 4bbl carbs, as the 318s were available with a single 4bbl and even a single 2bbl. The monster, though, was the 350 dual-4bbl you've pictured. Your kit motor is probably accurate for one of the "cheapies." When I Googled 1958 Fury Golden Commando, I got a car with your described colors.

Not all '58 Furies had dual 4bbl carbs, as the 318s were available with a single 4bbl and even a single 2bbl. The monster, though, was the 350 dual-4bbl you've pictured. Your kit motor is probably accurate for one of the "cheapies." When I Googled 1958 Fury Golden Commando, I got a car with your described colors.
My mistake. I thought all Fury’s that year had the Golden Commando engine. Thanks for the info!

There were only about 5300 1958 Golden Commando Furies. i can't find a number for how many Furies overall were built.
Yes 5,303 Furys to be exact. But they weren’t all called the Golden Commando. Only cars optioned with the 350cid. wedge head were named Golden Commando.

That site I referenced earlier said they built 5300 Golden Commandos and now I've found a total Fury production for 1958 of 5308. I don't know why people can't keep numbers straight for stuff that was only 60-odd years ago!!! :lol:

Started the next kit.
Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

enhance

enhance

Decanting Tamiya TS paint for my next few builds . . . Coral Blue and Metallic Black will be used on this build.

enhance

enhance

Had to do some filling on the exhaust and chassis - this is quite an old kit (cr. 1991) and there is a lot of flash and injector pin marks.

enhance

Glued a few bits up and primed some parts, then started the painting process - not done, just started. 👍

enhance

enhance

enhance

Still need to do some detail painting on the engine/exhaust & gearbox and then detail the suspension pieces.
Thanks for looking! :cheers:

The Plymouth has been thrown into the purple pond because I was unhappy with the amount of orange peel. It’ll stay there for a while.
F2F2A782-C74D-4363-AFC4-7E7EF9830B28.jpeg

Started the next kit.
Tamiya Leyton House CG901B F1

enhance

enhance

Decanting Tamiya TS paint for my next few builds . . . Coral Blue and Metallic Black will be used on this build.

enhance

enhance

Had to do some filling on the exhaust and chassis - this is quite an old kit (cr. 1991) and there is a lot of flash and injector pin marks.

enhance

Glued a few bits up and primed some parts, then started the painting process - not done, just started. 👍

enhance

enhance

enhance

Still need to do some detail painting on the engine/exhaust & gearbox and then detail the suspension pieces.
Thanks for looking! :cheers:
I’m just wondering, have you ever attended a NNL show? Because your cars are so good.

Thanks @Volksauto , They're not really that good... getting better each time I do one, I feel anyway.
Could point you to some really, really good cars and bikes - not mine. :cheers:

I don't know what an NNL show is. :confused:

Thanks @Volksauto , They're not really that good... getting better each time I do one, I feel anyway.
Could point you to some really, really good cars and bikes - not mine. :cheers:

I don't know what an NNL show is. :confused:
NNL shows are model car shows around the country. They’re really fun to attend. Everybody is there because they love the hobby. There’s typically raffles, swap meets, etc. The largest are NNL East, West, North and South but there are other more local ones to other regions. I brought some of my cars to NNL Milwaukee and had a photo taken of one of my cars and is featured in Scale Auto Magazine.
upload_2020-6-24_15-25-44.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_15-23-15.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_15-18-12.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_15-32-0.jpeg

upload_2020-6-24_15-19-49.jpeg

Back