General Model Kit Building Thread

@Volksauto That's a pretty tough scale, and that looks great!! Funky little car! :lol:👍
I pretty much keep to 1/24 and 1/20. I even have some 1/12 stuff to build - mostly MotoGP bikes, but I have a 1/12 Williams F1 car too.

Had a chance to work on the Nissan for two days in a row. She's getting close, and have learned a ton using the airbrush - mostly trial and error, but also having some questions answered by some pro's.

Gotta paint the "glass" rubbers, clear coat, final few assembly pieces...

enhance

enhance
Beautiful work so far. Very neat masking and great decal placement!

Alright, so these aren't really model kits, but I'd like to share these on GTP and it was either this thread or the scale model thread and I think the hobby is much closer to this one than just collecting models.
I've been playing dungeons and dragons for a while now and I've recently gotten a 3D printer, so I printed and painted this miniature.

DSCN7983.JPG

DSCN7986.JPG

I think I've achieved a terrifically disgusting looking mouth, which is good as this is an Otyugh and it literally eats poop.

I've also made a wall for D&D. This was not 3D printed at all, and was instead completely scratch built.

20200131_164031.jpg

20200131_201030.jpg

20200201_020035.jpg

DSCN7990.JPG

3 pieces of styrene, two for the base and one for the wall, some paint, tiny bricks I hand made out of modelling clay and then over an extremely tedious process assembled together to cover the wall, a bit of wood and some fake grass and hey presto, a wall. I think it looks really good, but it took a lot of effort for something so small. And I need to make more.

Wife had a baby shower to got to today (YES!), so was able to sit down and get "my model on" !!
Was able to dry fit and attach a few things, but the biggest was getting the "glass" rubbers painted and doing the lighting... Not gonna lie, this is, by far, the best outcome I have EVER, EVER, ever had doing the "glass".

Still have a bit to go but just love, love, love, love, love, loving this kit whilst using the airbrush. :lol: :lol: Anyway, here's a few progress pics!!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

One of my screw ups in this shot, you gotta look close. ;)

enhance

enhance

enhance

The only thing I find odd about this kit (which I am loving the Hasegawa kit, btw) is that there is no engine, like, at all. Even though the rear cowling is completely removable.

enhance

Anyway, if you looked at all this BS, I thank you.

Wife had a baby shower to got to today (YES!), so was able to sit down and get "my model on" !!
Was able to dry fit and attach a few things, but the biggest was getting the "glass" rubbers painted and doing the lighting... Not gonna lie, this is, by far, the best outcome I have EVER, EVER, ever had doing the "glass".

Still have a bit to go but just love, love, love, love, love, loving this kit whilst using the airbrush. :lol: :lol: Anyway, here's a few progress pics!!

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

One of my screw ups in this shot, you gotta look close. ;)

enhance

enhance

enhance

The only thing I find odd about this kit (which I am loving the Hasegawa kit, btw) is that there is no engine, like, at all. Even though the rear cowling is completely removable.

enhance

Anyway, if you looked at all this BS, I thank you.
I couldn't seem to find what was wrong in that one shot. Maybe I'm blind but it looks really great to me.:cheers:

--

That is really odd that there would be no engine. The only possible reason why I think it has no engine but has a removable cover is that maybe there were potential plans for that mold to be used as an RC or a slot car and that's where the electric motor would go?? :confused:

Haha!! Thanks man!! I am having a super good time with the airbrush - but I will say that I will have to up my MASKING game to get the full benefit out of it.

If you look under the NT in KANTO SEIKI there is a small "blob" of blue from overspray through the intercooler exhaust ("airflow") when I masked I missed a small portion and got some blue overspray on the white. :lol:

Thanks for looking!! And being my first time using the airbrush it's turning out pretty good, so far anyway. 👍

@barryf1fan I remember reading somewhere (it’s either this thread or another forum) that a lot of kits don’t have engines included because the manufacturer had issues with licensing for the engine (probably a separate license required) and decided to omit it from the kit, forcing builders to buy engine kits made separately by aftermarket manufacturers if they want one, which could explain why Hasegawa made the rear cowling removable. Either that, or it’s cost restrictions for the manufacturer, from what I read.

Anyway, great work. 👍

———

So a bit of update with my MP4/4 since June 2018.

I’ve finished the painting and the assembly of the rolling chassis for the most part, and all that remains will be work on the body cowling. If I had to say what the most difficult part to get right on this model is (as well as most frustrating), it will have to be the installation of the turbo/exhaust unit, as it requires finesse and brute force to slot them into place, and you also have to be cautious not to exert your force at the wrong points, otherwise the parts held together by glue will change position. I’ve scraped off quite some paint with my nails in the process of fitting them, as you can see below:

33ECF47B-1EA2-401E-8090-7C4060A5F31B.jpeg

Another problem I’ve encountered is that the driveshaft won’t completely slot into the hole, so not all of the hinges of the suspension can click onto the rods of the black thing adjacent to the wheels. The solution? Break the driveshaft off in the middle with your fingers, trim away some of it and glue it back together so it sticks out less. :lol: Not the nicest-looking option, but it’s the only available one unfortunately. Just to show you how little space I have to break off the driveshaft with my fingers:

47A5E39E-9ECA-4484-BB88-208B110B51DC.jpeg

(The circled part is where the driveshaft was broken off.)

And here’s a pic of all 4 brake rotors finished:

29A53899-54C2-42EB-96F7-62B0CE9417C0.jpeg

I was so antsy about having the car done, I actually forgot to go through the process of varnish and waxxing the rear wing and just glued it to the chassis instead. Goes to show how impatient I've grown with the car, but I can only blame myself for that - I originally bought this model kit simply because I wanted to use up the spray paints that were left the last time I built this exact model car, and I thought I could last through the entire build without getting tired of the car. I began regretting when I was painting the wheels, which is probably the first thing I did on this model. And I didn't even like its shape and lines in the first place! :indiff: So I had learnt a lesson: always buy and build model kits that you are genuinely interested and liked, because you will be working on it for a long time if you have a pace similar to mine, which is comparable to a snail. Don't make the purchase decision simply because you saw the car was on sale or for whatever reason.

Anyway, enough of all that moaning, you guys probably clicked into this thread because you wanted to see pics of a finished product, not a lengthy rant, and my experience with this model car is probably too trivial to merit further ado, so here're pics of the completed chassis, ready for inspection, although a bit dusty:

P2070156.JPG

32EF3A43-2F21-45D5-ADA0-B487401237A6.jpeg

Some close-up shots:

40B5272A-8F5B-449C-A69D-54E174CC9D84.jpeg

217876C9-2EA1-4588-A2CD-B2DAC64E0413.jpeg

9AB74B4F-D51F-4C6E-AA8B-C49DDBDD4A06.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’ve posted it before, but here’s a pic of the bucket seat back when it’s still very dust-free:

B620E495-9917-4EC6-9C2D-2A9D9D7DFF83.jpeg

And a few questions, just to gauge how the GTP community does things: do you guys spray all of the parts (incl. interior, suspension and chassis) that will be painted with colour first with primer, or do you prime only the parts that will be spray-painted afterwards (most likely the car body)? Same question goes for the final clear coat, but this time add whether they have decals on it into the criteria.

Another question I’d like to ask is does airbrush systems cover less area than rattle cans, and are airbrush units better at covering convoluted surfaces with even amounts of paint? I’m actively considering buying a basic airbrush unit because of the wider variety of paints available for spray-painting if I go that way, and also because I wanted a smoother finish compared to hand-painting. (Damn the endless pursuit for perfection! :lol:)

(Edited to add the pics, because apparently saving a draft won’t save the pics you’ve uploaded for the post. Apologies also for making you guys bend your necks. :D)

Last edited:
@barryf1fan I remember reading somewhere (it’s either this thread or another forum) that a lot of kits don’t have engines included because the manufacturer had issues with licensing for the engine (probably a separate license required) and decided to omit it from the kit, forcing builders to buy engine kits made separately by aftermarket manufacturers if they want one, which could explain why Hasegawa made the rear cowling removable. Either that, or it’s cost restrictions for the manufacturer, from what I read.

Anyway, great work. 👍

Yeah, pretty sure that it's a cost saving thing for Hasegawa... I did a search for an aftermarket engine for this kit and came up empty. It's just weird that when a manufacturer makes a "curbside" model (ie., no engine) they generally make the engine cover not removable. Revell Germany made several 1/24 F1 kits that were curbside but they had an engine. :lol::lol: in other words, they have an engine but the rear cowling isn't removable.

———

So a bit of update with my MP4/4 since June 2018.

I’ve finished the painting and the assembly of the rolling chassis for the most part, and all that remains will be work on the body cowling. If I had to say what the most difficult part to get right on this model is (as well as most frustrating), it will have to be the installation of the turbo/exhaust unit, as it requires finesse and brute force to slot them into place, and you also have to be cautious not to exert your force at the wrong points, otherwise the parts held together by glue will change position. I’ve scraped off quite some paint with my nails in the process of fitting them, as you can see below:

Another problem I’ve encountered is that the driveshaft won’t completely slot into the hole, so not all of the hinges of the suspension can click onto the rods of the black thing adjacent to the wheels. The solution? Break the driveshaft off in the middle with your fingers, trim away some of it and glue it back together so it sticks out less. :lol: Not the nicest-looking option, but it’s the only available one unfortunately. Just to show you how little space I have to break off the driveshaft with my fingers:

(The circled part is where the driveshaft was broken off.)

And here’s a pic of all 4 brake rotors finished:

I was so antsy about having the car done, I actually forgot to go through the process of varnish and waxxing the rear wing and just glued it to the chassis instead. Goes to show how impatient I've grown with the car, but I can only blame myself for that - I originally bought this model kit simply because I wanted to use up the spray paints that were left the last time I built this exact model car, and I thought I could last through the entire build without getting tired of the car. I began regretting when I was painting the wheels, which is probably the first thing I did on this model. And I didn't even like its shape and lines in the first place! :indiff: So I had learnt a lesson: always buy and build model kits that you are genuinely interested and liked, because you will be working on it for a long time if you have a pace similar to mine, which is comparable to a snail. Don't make the purchase decision simply because you saw the car was on sale or for whatever reason.

Anyway, enough of all that moaning, you guys probably clicked into this thread because you wanted to see pics of a finished product, not a lengthy rant, and my experience with this model car is probably too trivial to merit further ado, so here're pics of the completed chassis, ready for inspection, although a bit dusty:

Some close-up shots:

I’m not sure if I’ve posted it before, but here’s a pic of the bucket seat back when it’s still very dust-free:

And a few questions, just to gauge how the GTP community does things: do you guys spray all of the parts (incl. interior, suspension and chassis) that will be painted with colour first with primer, or do you prime only the parts that will be spray-painted afterwards (most likely the car body)? Same question goes for the final clear coat, but this time add whether they have decals on it into the criteria.

Another question I’d like to ask is does airbrush systems cover less area than rattle cans, and are airbrush units better at covering convoluted surfaces with even amounts of paint? I’m actively considering buying a basic airbrush unit because of the wider variety of paints available for spray-painting if I go that way, and also because I wanted a smoother finish compared to hand-painting. (Damn the endless pursuit for perfection! :lol:)

(Edited to add the pics, because apparently saving a draft won’t save the pics you’ve uploaded for the post. Apologies also for making you guys bend your necks. :D)

Nice work on the MP4/4, I've got that kit in the closet to do someday. . . Yours is coming along nicely! 👍👍

And to answer your questions...
1.) Yes. I primer and paint every part. Even if it's "molded" in the correct color. Example, on that McLaren MP4/4 you're doing, the suspension arms are already black, they come that way. But I prime them, and paint them black. I only Clear coat the body to seal and protect the decals. So I will generally prep every part for primer. Paint the pieces, including the body. Will then set everything but the body aside and decal the body up, including any wings or bits that attach to the body (FR/RR Wings like F1, and or mirrors, etc..), and when the decals are down and dry (usually a day or two) I will clear the body and wings/mirrors if necessary. Set that aside, usually in a airtight container to cure for 72 hours minimum. Five days usually. Then I assemble the painted "parts" like the chassis / interior / engine components. At this point I will mask the "glass" and paint the black window "rubbers".

After the body has cured I do final assembly. That first pic in my post is the beginning of final assembly, I had attached the main body to the chassis and snapped a pic as I had everything laid out. 👍

Second question...

2.) Simple answer is, yes. An airbrush will cover less area than a rattle can. What you gain is control to put the paint where you want. It's also WAY easier to build layers up as you go (you kind of have to). The Nissan up there was my first model using an AB and there is a learning curve. You can see that I didn't quite get the same color red on the rear cowling as the main body.. just messed up the number coats or more likely just laid it down a little thicker on the main body - hence why it's a bit darker red than the rear. . . :rolleyes: they were painted at the same time.

The biggest thing to me is there is a LOT LESS waste with an AB vs. the spray can. You can get a good result with either, I just need more practice with the AB as I have used nothing but cans for over 20 years and the first model using an AB didn't come out half bad.

Here are two examples: top is nothing but rattle cans and paint brushing, bottom is about 90-95% airbrushed... I think I only brush painted the turn signals and rear taillights on the Nissan. But again, I paint every single part that is used. (bar the "glass", obviously. :P )

RATTLE CANS:
I even primed and painted the wheels, even though they were already black... I just think they look better painted.

enhance

AIRBRUSHED:
And again, every part was primed and painted.

enhance

Hope I answered your questions... and you can't go wrong with an AB setup, I love it so far. There is a learning curve but it's not brain surgery here, if I can do it almost anyone could.

One thing to add, make sure your area is well vented, with either cans or AB, as those are dangerous chemicals to be breathing in. Vented OUTSIDE is what you want. You can see here I cut a piece of 1"x12" to fit in a window and just take it out and close the window when I'm done.

enhance

Have fun with it!!

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty sure that it's a cost saving thing for Hasegawa... I did a search for an aftermarket engine for this kit and came up empty. It's just weird that when a manufacturer makes a "curbside" model (ie., no engine) they generally make the engine cover not removable. Revell Germany made several 1/24 F1 kits that were curbside but they had an engine. :lol::lol: in other words, they have an engine but the rear cowling isn't removable.

———

Nice work on the MP4/4, I've got that kit in the closet to do someday. . . Yours is coming along nicely! 👍👍

And to answer your questions...
1.) Yes. I primer and paint every part. Even if it's "molded" in the correct color. Example, on that McLaren MP4/4 you're doing, the suspension arms are already black, they come that way. But I prime them, and paint them black. I only Clear coat the body to seal and protect the decals. So I will generally prep every part for primer. Paint the pieces, including the body. Will then set everything but the body aside and decal the body up, including any wings or bits that attach to the body (FR/RR Wings like F1, and or mirrors, etc..), and when the decals are down and dry (usually a day or two) I will clear the body and wings/mirrors if necessary. Set that aside, usually in a airtight container to cure for 72 hours minimum. Five days usually. Then I assemble the painted "parts" like the chassis / interior / engine components. At this point I will mask the "glass" and paint the black window "rubbers".

After the body has cured I do final assembly. That first pic in my post is the beginning of final assembly, I had attached the main body to the chassis and snapped a pic as I had everything laid out. 👍

Second question...

2.) Simple answer is, yes. An airbrush will cover less area than a rattle can. What you gain is control to put the paint where you want. It's also WAY easier to build layers up as you go (you kind of have to). The Nissan up there was my first model using an AB and there is a learning curve. You can see that I didn't quite get the same color red on the rear cowling as the main body.. just messed up the number coats or more likely just laid it down a little thicker on the main body - hence why it's a bit darker red than the rear. . . :rolleyes: they were painted at the same time.

The biggest thing to me is there is a LOT LESS waste with an AB vs. the spray can. You can get a good result with either, I just need more practice with the AB as I have used nothing but cans for over 20 years and the first model using an AB didn't come out half bad.

Here are two examples: top is nothing but rattle cans and paint brushing, bottom is about 90-95% airbrushed... I think I only brush painted the turn signals and rear taillights on the Nissan. But again, I paint every single part that is used. (bar the "glass", obviously. :P )

RATTLE CANS:
I even primed and painted the wheels, even though they were already black... I just think they look better painted.

enhance

AIRBRUSHED:
And again, every part was primed and painted.

enhance

Hope I answered your questions... and you can't go wrong with an AB setup, I love it so far. There is a learning curve but it's not brain surgery here, if I can do it almost anyone could.

One thing to add, make sure your area is well vented, with either cans or AB, as those are dangerous chemicals to be breathing in. Vented OUTSIDE is what you want. You can see here I cut a piece of 1"x12" to fit in a window and just take it out and close the window when I'm done.

enhance

Have fun with it!!

Wow, that’s an incredibly detailed response. Thank you for giving me such a complete answer! :)

Threw some carbon fiber detail on the air-intakes. Came out okay.

enhance

enhance

enhance

But, I did have two tiny spots of black on the yellow that I couldn't repair - so, stripped the body back to the primer and am starting again. :lol:👍
I thought I could get them off without damaging the paint job. I was wrong. :sly:

enhance

Tried to wet sand it off, then rub it off and just made a scratch.

enhance

Stripped. (you can see the hood behind the body there, not stripped yet)

enhance

Primed it in white this time.. (no pic of that though.)

Anyhoo, thanks for looking at my blunders. :P

I have a Tamiya Mclaren MP4/6 in 1/12 that I had to strip after painting. It was my first attempt at spraying the flourescent red, and that *#$% didn't cover the white underneath at all! I wasn't willing to try to apply 537 "light" coats, so I stripped it and painted regualr red on the white, then the flourescent on top of the red, and it was done! That flourescent by itself on top of the white was just awful, though.

Kinda sux that the Tamiya decals have yellowed, while the aftermarket cigarette name decals have remained clear... OTOH, it was built around 1995.

48319135032_02ffe75a93_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Tamiya Mclaren MP4/6 in 1/12 that I had to strip after painting. It was my first attempt at spraying the flourescent red, and that *#$% didn't cover the white underneath at all! I wasn't willing to try to apply 537 "light" coats, so I stripped it and painted regualr red on the white, then the flourescent on top of the red, and it was done! That flourescent by itself on top of the white was just awful, though.

Kinda sux that the Tamiya decals have yellowed, while the aftermarket cigarette name decals have remained clear... OTOH, it was built around 1995.

48319135032_02ffe75a93_c.jpg

I just picked up one of these 1/12 scale McLarens... been wanting one since they came out - just couldn't afford one. Too expensive when they were new, and even more expensive now. Finally found one on flea-bay that didn't break the piggy bank.

That does suck about the yellowing decals... I'm guessing you didn't clear coat the body or wings (hence why the decals yellowed) ??
If you didn't clear the body and wings, you could remove the old decals and replace them with aftermarket ones, then clear the body and wings.
Most, if not all those would probably come off by just getting them wet, and the stubborn ones you could use decal softener solutions - be careful with it though, sometimes can soften the paint if left too long (esp. on older acrylic paints).

Or, could just leave it, I think it still looks great!! 👍

So like, I bought a couple 1/24 Tamiya kits to give building cars another shot (haven't built one in like 20 years).

So far I have been working on the body of the 2019 Supra, while the MX-5 RF kit I will try to duplicate my real car...

Man Venom!! Off to a great start - and can not go wrong with a Tamiya kit (or two). :) :cheers:
btw, digging the blue! :drool:

I'm guessing you didn't clear coat the body or wings (hence why the decals yellowed) ??

The only model I ever clearcoated, the clearcoat yellowed in less than 5 years. White McLaren M23 became a dull eggshell color...

Man Venom!! Off to a great start - and can not go wrong with a Tamiya kit (or two). :) :cheers:
btw, digging the blue! :drool:
Thanks!
For my first attempt at doing a good glossy coat I think I did an OK job. Hopefully the ND MX-5 turns out even better when I start building it.

Got the C7R repainted and started the decal process. Will be ready for clear in a day or two.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for looking.
That C7.R is looking pretty hot so far. I'm gonna stick to street cars myself, since easier to paint lol

Anyway more work on the Supra along with a couple other kits I ended up buying:

*EDIT*
Finished the Supra:

Last edited:
Nice C7.R and Supra barryf1fan and Venom800tt! 👍

One thing I couldn’t wrap my head around is how you guys (or most people) manage to get from the start to finish of a model kit in a tenth or even less of the time I took to build a single model kit, while not having any compromises on the quality of the build. It irks me to be only able to finish a model kit in no shorter than 3 years (or approx. 1 year, discounting all those days that are not actually spent model-making), when others are only taking as long as a month or two. :lol: I can only imagine how much more time I can free up for my other hobbies if I can work in half your pace.

Nice C7.R and Supra barryf1fan and Venom800tt! 👍

One thing I couldn’t wrap my head around is how you guys (or most people) manage to get from the start to finish of a model kit in a tenth or even less of the time I took to build a single model kit, while not having any compromises on the quality of the build. It irks me to be only able to finish a model kit in no shorter than 3 years (or approx. 1 year, discounting all those days that are not actually spent model-making), when others are only taking as long as a month or two. :lol: I can only imagine how much more time I can free up for my other hobbies if I can work in half your pace.

I think the main thing about doing a model "fast", and I'm not fast nor am I trying to rush through them, but having a system to go about doing the model is the main thing I notice about the guys (or gals) that are quick.

For instance, the clear coat drying once on takes 3 days min... I prefer 4-5 days min before I will even touch the body once cleared. This gives me 4-5 days to work on chassis/engine/detail parts (or even ready the "next" kit I will be doing if caught up on the current one) and ready the kit for assembly and final details. This is why, after paint, I will set everything aside and finish up the "body", including all the decals that can be done and then clear coat. Once that's done, I have basically a week to work on the rest of the kit.

I'm def not fast... faster than I used to be for sure, but I only do a model every couple to three months. Also, the more you do the faster you get, but I think that's only if you want to "go" faster.

Thanks for looking at my "Vette" !! :cheers:

I never realized ICM released this on January 25th which is the 134th anniversary of this car!! I’ve been waiting for an 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen kit for years!! Definitely want one NOW......
upload_2020-3-30_20-52-54.jpeg

The kit looks very nice. It includes photo etched wheels for a nice scale correct look.
I guess a jig is included to correctly assemble the wheels.

Last edited:
Started the next "kit"

Hasegawa Toyota Minolta 88C LeMans Gr.C (C1) race car.
This is another "curbside" kit, meaning no motor nor is the rear cowling removable.

enhance

enhance

Had to attach multiple pieces to complete the body, which created even more seam lines than were already on the kit. :lol:

enhance

Filling in and sanding, repeat...

enhance

Primer and Paint down.

enhance

enhance

Bunch-a bits painted as well.

enhance

Panel wash added to body lines

enhance

Got some other detail pieces painted and masked the center portion of the wheels so I can shoot the chrome outer ring... will then start the decals, which look to be a challenge as there are quite a few.

Thanks for looking!! :cheers:

Started on the decals on this one - man, there are a lot of decals on this kit.
Also, if anyone is thinking of grabbing this kit, be aware that the decals are very thin and delicate.
Which is fine for the small to medium size decals, but the larger ones can be a real challenge to
apply without damaging them. I've had to repair a couple and one or two that I've left "damaged".

Anyway, here is the start, and still have a lot to go. :rolleyes::lol:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Hoping to finish up the decals today or tomorrow. Thanks for looking!! 👍

:cheers:

Started on the decals on this one - man, there are a lot of decals on this kit.
Also, if anyone is thinking of grabbing this kit, be aware that the decals are very thin and delicate.
Which is fine for the small to medium size decals, but the larger ones can be a real challenge to
apply without damaging them. I've had to repair a couple and one or two that I've left "damaged".

Anyway, here is the start, and still have a lot to go. :rolleyes::lol:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Hoping to finish up the decals today or tomorrow. Thanks for looking!! 👍

:cheers:
Man you are good. I'd love to build race cars but my larger exterior decal skills aren't up to par yet. I have the Tamiya 1999 WRC Toyota Corolla and I'd love to build it. It was one of my favorite cars to drive in Gran Turismo 3.
114843-35173-19-720.jpg

Latest Posts

Back