General Model Kit Building Thread

Quick update on the Leyton House F1... Have managed to do some stuff over the last week or so.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for looking... still a long way to go on this one. :lol:

I have a few of the Tamiya 1/20th cars, but I never saw that in any of them. The two 1/20 I have that have scoops got them done in black, and even have sponsor decals on them, even though they live inside the bodywork. The 1/12 Ferrari 641 had the kevlar color, though.

48316236572_3fa0a1ceb1_z.jpg

48319033142_e60f854595_z.jpg

48319022826_5a2133f6eb_z.jpg

Was that airbox covering a decal in the kit, or something you got somewhere?

It's not in the kit... It's a Scale Motorsport decal.

I think DG may be thinking it's the Studio 27 Carbon Fiber decal set for this car... The air intake is different:

s-l640.jpg

It's a lot lighter, and the design is a bit different, but the sheet is expensive and I like the SCM decal just fine. :lol:

So, anybody wondering how stupid I could possibly be, here's your answer. I bought a partially completed Pocher Rolls Royce Phantom II Sedanca Coupe off eBay. Seller was not the original owner, he bought it and instantly decided "DO NOT WANT!" No way of knowing how many people it's gone through, but the price was 300 bucks. Shipped. Seller admitted he had no way of knowing if the kit was complete, but I've ALWAYS wanted to have one of these, ever since they were new, in the 70s. Most of the kits have 4-figure prices on them, especially if you can actually find one that hasn't been started.

After winning (was it really "winning?") the eBay auction, I immediately ordered the DVD by Paul Koo that I'd read about, and that arrived first. Browsing the DVD, I can't see how it could actually be possible to assemble the kit actually without it! It points out several parts errors in the kit, places you have to trim for correct fit, and sequence errors in the manual (if you do this when it tells you to, you'll have to take it back apart to finish the stuff a couple of steps later.)

Having browsed the DVD, I can immediately see errors in the assembly done so far in this kit. It will take some disassembly, careful cataloging of parts while doing so, some cleanup and rebuild.

The kit arrived today, I've unpacked it, and I seriously hope I can get it back into the box in some sort of resemblance of how it arrived. There was NO extra space in there!

As I was unpacking the shipping box, I found some hardware loose in the bubble wrap. Well, that sure slowed down the unpacking!! I had to carefully pull the bubble wrap, checking all the folds and rolls for loose parts, and then check it again once it was out of the box. Some 30 or 45 minutes later, I had collected these:
50138762451_18b957acc7_c.jpg

As it happens the kit box itself was not in good shape. The seller apparently didn't want to cause further damage to the box by taping the torn edges and corners, but I truly wish he had!

I didn't take a picture of the box when I opened it, but once I'd removed the partially assembled chassis and the bags of not-yet-used parts, this stuff was loose in the box:
50138763301_27c273d030_c.jpg

Some had obviously come off the model, like the carburetor and cylinder head, along with some spark plug wiring. Other bits just seem to have fallen out of the parts bags.

Here are parts I pulled from the box and set aside to find the loose stuff inside:
50139001272_0e466b2741.jpg
50139000312_3d647f3d9d.jpg

More parts bags, seemingly intact:
50139094547_afcfbcc6df_c.jpg

50138226118_242f7caf89_c.jpg

The assembly so far, frame, engine, suspension, some linkages.
50138761041_c547da9209_c.jpg

You remember I mentioned the builder's lack of, um... quality? The two segments of the engine do not line up. Not quite a straight-6.
50138217023_0d6dd02a37_c.jpg

Here are how the pedals sit at the moment. The brake pedal is supposed to actually work the linkages and expand the shoes inside the drums. The drums are not assembled yet, so the slop here may be normal at this point. But you see that plate on top of the transmission? There is a note on the DVD about trimming a mold mark underneath so it lines up correctly; it is not supposed to be angled. And that's glued on... Also, you can see how poorly trimmed it is for mold flash!
50138215543_feaf69989b_c.jpg

Rear of the frame. The leaf springs are not bracketed. I don't know yet if the brackets are missing, or if something was wrong with the fit, or what. I do know that the springs being a solid plastic molded piece makes this kit the "old" version, as the newer ones assemble the springs from actual metal leaves.
50138990507_e597364091_c.jpg

The springs are actually vinyl, not plastic, and the DVD says I should heat the vinyl and pre-bend it to resist the model's weight, otherwise the model will sag completely down on the suspension. I know there are kits available to build metal springs, and I may look into that. Another difference that I actually appreciate is the old version has molded plastic seats, where the newer kits have vinyl upholstery that has to be cut and fit into place and glued down. Seeing that on the DVD, I wasn't really looking forward to that...

It will be quite a while before I dive in, as I am still months away from being back in my house after Hurricane Michael, and I'm not sure how long I will be even then before I'm able to start in. When it happens, I'll give it its own thread, like the Aventador thread by user AMG.

Last edited:
So, anybody wondering how stupid I could possibly be, here's your answer. I bought a partially completed Pocher Rolls Royce Phantom II Sedanca Coupe off eBay. Seller was not the original owner, he bought it and instantly decided "DO NOT WANT!" No way of knowing how many people it's gone through, but the price was 300 bucks. Shipped. Seller admitted he had no way of knowing if the kit was complete, but I've ALWAYS wanted to have one of these, ever since they were new, in the 70s. Most of the kits have 4-figure prices on them, especially if you can actually find one that hasn't been started.

After winning (was it really "winning?") the eBay auction, I immediately ordered the DVD by Paul Koo that I'd read about, and that arrived first. Browsing the DVD, I can't see how it could actually be possible to assemble the kit actually without it! It points out several parts errors in the kit, places you have to trim for correct fit, and sequence errors in the manual (if you do this when it tells you to, you'll have to take it back apart to finish the stuff a couple of steps later.)

Having browsed the DVD, I can immediately see errors in the assembly done so far in this kit. it will take some disassembly, careful cataloging of parts while doing so, some cleanup and rebuild.

The kit arrived today, I've unpacked it, and I seriously hope I can get it back into the box in some sort of resemblance of how it arrived. There was NO extra space in there!

As I was unpacking the shipping box, I found some hardware loose in the bubble wrap. Well, that sure slowed down the unpacking!! I had to carefully pull the bubble wrap, checking all the folds and rolls for loose parts, and then check it again once it was out of the box. Some 30 or 45 minutes later, I had collected these:
50138762451_18b957acc7_c.jpg

As it happens the kit box itself was not in good shape. The seller apparently didn't want to cause further damage to the box by taping the torn edges and corners, but I truly wish he had!

I didn't take a picture of the box when I opened it, but once I'd removed the partially assembled chassis and the bags of not-yet-used parts, this stuff was loose in the box:
50138763301_27c273d030_c.jpg

Some had obviously come off the model, like the carburetor and cylinder head, along with some spark plug wiring. Other bits just seem to have fallen out of the parts bags.

Here are parts I pulled from the box and set aside to find the loose stuff inside:
50139001272_0e466b2741.jpg
50139000312_3d647f3d9d.jpg

More parts bags, seemingly intact:
50139094547_afcfbcc6df_c.jpg

50138226118_242f7caf89_c.jpg

The assembly so far, frame, engine, suspension, some linkages.
50138761041_c547da9209_c.jpg

You remember I mentioned the builder's lack of, um... quality? The two segments of the engine do not line up. Not quite a straight-6.
50138217023_0d6dd02a37_c.jpg

Here are how the pedals sit at the moment. The brake pedal is supposed to actually work the linkages and expand the shoes inside the drums. The drums are not assembled yet, so the slop here may be normal at this point. But you see that plate on top of the transmission? There is a note on the DVD about trimming a mold mark underneath so it lines up correctly; it is not supposed to be angled. And that's glued on... Also, you can see how poorly trimmed it is for mold flash!
50138215543_feaf69989b_c.jpg

Rear of the frame. The leaf springs are not bracketed. I don't know yet if the brackets are missing, or if something was wrong with the fit, or what. I do know that the springs being a solid plastic molded piece makes this kit the "old" version, as the newer ones assemble the springs from actual metal leaves.
50138990507_e597364091_c.jpg

The springs are actually vinyl, not plastic, and the DVD says I should heat the vinyl and pre-bend it to resist the model's weight, otherwise the model will sag completely down on the suspension. I know there are kits available to build metal springs, and I may look into that. Another difference that I actually appreciate is the old version has molded plastic seats, where the newer kits have vinyl upholstery that has to be cut and fit into place and glued down. Seeing that on the DVD, I wasn't really looking forward to that...

It will be quite a while before I dive in, as I am still months away from being back in my house after Hurricane Michael, and I'm not sure how long I will be even then before I'm able to start in. When it happens, I'll give it its own thread, like the Aventador thread by user AMG.

giphy.gif

Man!! What an undertaking that kit looks to be! Especially fixing all the previous builders mistakes. Oi!! That would be too much for my tiny brain.
I hope you do a work in progress thread, or link here to one, when you do finally start it. 👍

My big problem is all the loose crap! The DVD actually has a parts inventory, a complete listing of how many such-and-such screws, how many nuts, and so on. I'll try to catalog assembled parts, but like I said earlier, some of the fixes are going to require at least some disassembly of what's been done, so there'll be an opportunity to catalog those parts, too, as well as make sure the correct hardware was used.

One thing I'm definitely happy about is that this was not stored in an attic or anything. None of the parts show any heat damage, like the tires melting into something, glazed clear parts, and so on. What's here looks to be in decent condition. I just have some "fixing" to do...

I've noticed while looking at the chassis that the rails seem to "lean" to the right as you go forward; there's a definite bend somewhere in the frame, with the front axle offset to the right a bit.

Here's a short 1 minute video a guy did of our Ducati Bike Buddy Build - it shows the bikes that participated... and no one got a trophy
The first one (Hawkmoon) and the yellow one (Twokidsnosleep) are my favs...

Time for a ship update.

I scratch built the bow of the ship as the kit pieces looked a bit too simplified. This was quite an interesting challenge.
20200704_235820.jpg

20200704_235826.jpg

The mast lookout points were missing railings, so I made some out of aluminium and styrene.
20200729_224749.jpg

I also made new pumps out of styrene and brass.
20200731_135141.jpg

I scribed in some plank detail on the boat and altered the rear.
20200801_233449.jpg

20200801_233455.jpg

I used cloth to make new sails. Using the vacuum formed kit piece as a mould, I placed on the fabric and coated it with a solution of 50% PVA and 50% water.
20200801_233407.jpg

When dried the sail maintains its shape, yet is still flexible. I still need to cut them to shape. Another benefit of the PVA is that it stops the fabric from fraying at the edges.
20200801_233415.jpg

I also sculpted some ornamental pieces for the rear. I've never sculpted before and there's probably a better material for this than epoxy putty, but I made... erm, something.
20200704_235944.jpg

I think they ended up looking alright though.
20200801_233840.jpg

I also assembled the masts.
20200801_233527.jpg

And the hull has been painted.
20200801_233904.jpg

A lot of time has passed with maybe less of a result to show than usually, but the painting actually took a pretty long time. Believe it or not, I only masked and airbrushed the ship when painting the black part. The copper was airbrushed first, so no masking was needed. The rest was actually brushed on, which was quite tedious, but a valuable learning experience as I felt that my painting skills were lacking in that department. Got there in the end though.

Last edited:
I built a USS Constitution in my college days, which survived until a couple of years ago, when a new kitten, otherwise more lovable than anything on the planet, torpedoed it. I still don't know how he got to the shelf it was on...

50182718372_9b8150c15d_b.jpg

There's supposed to be a white line at the waterline. I just wasn't up to it at the time... :lol:
50181918263_1d58867d12_b.jpg

50181918193_7676427809_b.jpg

50182717942_4f6e566501_b.jpg

50182717827_e3b6314dbb_b.jpg

It survived FORTY-TWO YEARS of moves, a marriage, packing, unpacking, dusting, and whatnot, until the kitten did what cats do: shove stuff off the shelf.
50182721462_1b1547a73e_b.jpg

At least you can see into the captain's cabin now...
50182721287_ec2f9658c4_b.jpg

I built a USS Constitution in my college days, which survived until a couple of years ago, when a new kitten, otherwise more lovable than anything on the planet, torpedoed it. I still don't know how he got to the shelf it was on...

50182718372_9b8150c15d_b.jpg

There's supposed to be a white line at the waterline. I just wasn't up to it at the time... :lol:
50181918263_1d58867d12_b.jpg

50181918193_7676427809_b.jpg

50182717942_4f6e566501_b.jpg

50182717827_e3b6314dbb_b.jpg

It survived FORTY-TWO YEARS of moves, a marriage, packing, unpacking, dusting, and whatnot, until the kitten did what cats do: shove stuff off the shelf.
50182721462_1b1547a73e_b.jpg

At least you can see into the captain's cabin now...
50182721287_ec2f9658c4_b.jpg

Dang man!! That's one of those "sorry for your loss" kinda things. I had a 1/24 Tamiya Mazda 787b LeMans winning car I did ages ago... wife dropped it on the hearth (brick) 3 times whilst cleaning - I finally gave up "fixing" it and binned it. I have another in the stash, this time with aftermarket decals (same as kit) and a full PE set.

200.gif

Just about got this one wrapped up... Got home from work tonight to glue pieces in place (the monocoque was just sitting on there) and finish her up - but in my infinite haste, and ineptness, realized that I completely forgot to do up the mirrors. They were still on the sprue. :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyway, here are a few shots from the gluing up tonight.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I don't know why the rear wing looks off-kilter in the pics... it's not as I checked it after looking at these.
Anyway, hope to get the mirrors primed and painted this weekend to finish this one so I can start my Beetle Bug. :lol:

Have you got a Tyrrell P34 in your collection to build? If love to see your work on that before I attempt it myself.

I have two of them, but they were built and given to me by a friend who passed away... I'll get some pics of them though. 👍
He had one and I had one and he wanted to build them at the same time. :)

Here are a few shots of the Tyrrell P34's I have.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Again, I didn't build these two, they were given to me.
I'm not a huge fan of these cars, although they are cool, they were before my interest in Formula 1 - I was only 5 or 6 y.o. when these raced. :lol:

Last edited:
I have two of them, but they were built and given to me by a friend who passed away... I'll get some pics of them though. 👍
He had one and I had one and he wanted to build them at the same time. :)

Here are a few shots of the Tyrrell P34's I have.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Again, I didn't build these two, they were given to me.
I'm not a huge fan of these cars, although they are cool, they were before my interest in Formula 1 - I was only 5 or 6 y.o. when these raced. :lol:

I've got the Depailler model, it looks horrific to build. I've got a can of Mercedes Cavansite Blue for the bodywork, i looks as close as I can get.

I’m just thinking, since this is a general model thread, I should probably post some pics of my wargaming minis. I’ve done dozens over the years but only recently started to photograph them (because camera phone).

Got a bit more done to the Green Beetle, thought this was gonna be a quickie but it's proving to be a lot more involved than I anticipated. :lol:

Got the chrome plating stripped and painted them with Alclad chrome.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Finished up the engine and interior as well.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Will say, this is a cool little model, though.
Thanks for looking in.

Hey all, is there any particular difference between the brands like Tamiya/Fujimi/Revell etc? Also, what's the approximate price of physically picking up a 1/24 car kit?

Hey all, is there any particular difference between the brands like Tamiya/Fujimi/Revell etc? Also, what's the approximate price of physically picking up a 1/24 car kit?
I can't say anything about Fujimi specifically. I grew up messing around with Revell and Monogram and always had a frustrating time with the hobby. That is until I got my hands on my first Tamiya kit and my eyes were opened. Every part fit! No need for shaving or filling anywhere! The whole kit just came together beautifully and I knew I'd never go back.

I don't know if it's all Tamiya itself or if the Japanese companies just do it better. I've stuck with Tamiya as I like to collect specific race cars that they have available. So that's my limited experience. Hope it helps.

As far as price, the latest purchases I grabbed were between 60 and 100 usd, but that is for rare old discontinued kits I found from Japanese stores on ebay and Amazon. I haven't kept up with newer kit prices. Last I checked on the American brands the cars were around 15-20, but that was about two decades ago so irrelevant.:lol:

Hasegawa and Fujimi are generally better than Revell, but not quite up to Tamiya's fit. Foreign Revell is good. The junk they used to sell at department store toy counters is just that: junk. That's AMC/Ertl, Aurora, American Revell, and Lindberg. I once got excited about a 1/8th E-type from Monogram, but it was simply the 1/24th kit scaled up. It had no more detail or function than any 1/24th model, and not as much as some.

I'm building a German Revell 1/12 Ferrari 126 C2, and while it's better than American Revell's 1/24th cars, and has the features of Tamiya's 1/12 F1 kits like working suspension, steers from the steering wheel, has ignition wires and fluid lines, it doesn't have the fit, finish, and weight in the parts of a Tamiya kit.

I just got an Italeri 1/12 Alfa Romeo 179 which looks pretty good in the box, parts are clean and smooth, but I haven't started it yet so I can't speak to fit.

All that said about Revell, that USS Constituion I posted earlier in the thread, that my cat destroyed, was a Revell kit, and I was quite happy with it.

I completely forgot about this thread...
Here's a few shots of the 1/24 Tamiya 1966 Beetle finished up (didn't turn out quite like I wanted - forgot to narrow beam and lower it, oh well)

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And started the next one... The GoodSmile Racing BMW Z4 GT3 car that raced in the Japanese SuperGT series.
It's a 1/24 Fujimi kit.
Got the wheels, interior, and body painted up - have started the decal fest. There are a crap-ton of decals on this kit. :lol:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Test fitting before starting body decals...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thanks for looking - and still a LOT of decals to go on this one (the back of the car there is 17 decals :lol: )

Back