General Workout Routines and Questions

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 1,940 comments
Damn, does your body use all of those vitamins or is your pee nuclear yellow?

I just dropped my class so I don't have classes until 6/29. :indiff: That means I have two weeks to get my act together and a routine started before going to school again.

Damn, does your body use all of those vitamins or is your pee nuclear yellow?
Yep, All those vitamins get flushed into my body and used up. My urine is near Crystal Clear. Then again, I drink more before 9am than most people do all day.

As well, I drink R.O. water. Reverse Osmosis. Incredibly pure water with next to no pollutants. Much better than Spring Water or Tap water. The only step I could go further than this is to drink distilled water. The purer the water, the better it flushes the nutrients into your body.

Well, just a personal update. When I benched my max of 405lbs I was weighing in at 248lbs. I am now down to 233lbs as of yesterday. This is good, I think.....but my frustration is how weak I feel and not being able to put up the same amount of weight is frustrating. I am cutting down on my intake trying to slim up a bit which seems to be working but it's at a cost of not being as strong. I guess the saying, "you can't have your cake and eat it to", applies here......, although I still don't quite understand what that means. ;)

So in 6 weeks, you've dropped 15 lbs. Which does mean that you've probably drop a bit of lean muscle. Dropping fat is so tough to do. I've been slowly working on it for the past months and its working. Just such a slow pace.

I was due to get my bodyfat tested last weekend, but was off camping and away from the gym. I'll get it tested again this coming Saturday and see how I've done in a month. Last test was 16.5% and this time around I'm hoping to be at 14.5%. Which is roughly 4 lbs difference. I've been really strict on the diet, with the exception of the camping trip last weekend. I grilled Pork Sausage over an open fire. It was so good. Add in that I ate an entire bag of Corn CHips with Dip and I'm certain I screwed something up.

All is well though, as I'm still loosing the weight ever so slowly. Even with all the eating. Yesterday, I ate an entire chicken. Not at one sitting, but through out the day.

Oh man...legs sucked to day. After every set I thought I was going to pass out. At one point while I was light headed leaning on the dumb bells, my whole body was tingling. I was eating everything under the sun to keep my calories up, now that I'm cutting back, workouts are tough and not that enjoyable. It is summer though time though so I will forge on and continue my current route.

It might be that you cut your calories back too far? Any idea how far back you may have cut them, or rather the difference of before and after the reduction?

It might be that you cut your calories back too far? Any idea how far back you may have cut them, or rather the difference of before and after the reduction?

Really no idea. I was eating until I was uncomfortable before, forcing food in. Now I am eating until I am satisfied. I would say 35-50% reduction in total food intake. Calories? I have no idea....

Pretty scientific, eh?

Aha, now you know how mere mortals feel Pako! :D

New diet and exercise routine:
5:15am: Muesli and Yogurt
12:30pm: Multigrain sandwich with grilled chicken, baby spinach, tomato, and beetroot
3:00pm: Small fruit salad
5:20pm: Multigrain sandwich with grilled chicken, baby spinach, tomato, and beetroot
7:30pm: Gym
9:00pm: Supplement drink (protein, vitamins and minerals)

Thoughts?

Really no idea. I was eating until I was uncomfortable before, forcing food in. Now I am eating until I am satisfied. I would say 35-50% reduction in total food intake. Calories? I have no idea....

Pretty scientific, eh?
So... If you were taking in 4000 calories in one day previously, you dropped 1400 to 2000 calories out of your diet. I'm not suprised you've had a few dizzy spells. Your body is likely still trying to fuel itself like it has for the past 6 (?) years. With this much of a drop, your body is going to drop your metabolism and you'll likely get the reverse effect and gain weight.

You've been at this alot longer than I, so I hope I don't sound like I'm giving unwarranted advice.

Previously, did you think you were overeating, and getting fatter as opposed to eating to fuel your workout and recovery?

I'm currently stuffing 540 calories for breakfast (eggs, oatmeal and a protein shake), 530 calories for 3 meals (mid-morning, midday, and late afternoon), pre-workout is 70 calories (glutamine and 6oz. V8 juice), post workout shake is 340 calories, and then Cottage Cheese at the end of the night is 120 calories. For a total of 2660 calories in a day.

I'm slowly dropping 2 lbs of fat evey 3 weeks and my strength is slowly creeping up. If I was at 3000, I'd be keeping my body fat the same, while really fueling my workout and recovery to increase lean muscle. Right now, I'm trying to cut fat and maintain or possibly gain lean muscle.

Spend a few minutes on http://caloriecount.about.com/ with a rough estimate of what you were previously eating, and then compare it too what you're eating now. Just use rough numbers and see what you come up with.

And just to float a few very rough numbers in front of you... Pako = 250lbs @ 20% body fat. 20% of 250 = 50lbs of fat. To drop to 10% body fat, at the rate I'm going, you're looking at 37+ weeks of dieting. That's more than 9 months of strict eating. Think you're up for it? Or give this diet a shot: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_12_week_fat_loss_plan.htm

This diet won't work for me, as I've not gone through a "Bulk" diet yet. I'm working at dropping fat, maintaining muscle and building a foundation to pack muscle onto. Which begins on Saturday :D

Hope this gives you some stuff to think through.

Good luck and drink water :D
Protein at breakfast. Overwise you're going from 9pm untill 12.30pm with only a tad of protein from the yogurt/milk.
My thoughts as well. You're body recovers/rebuilds at night. Add an egg in there, and a mid morning small meal (replacement shake possibly)

With this much of a drop, your body is going to drop your metabolism and you'll likely get the reverse effect and gain weight.
It's called starvation mode. Your body gets used to X calories and then has significantly less so it tries to hold on to everything, making you weight go up despite eating less. The same can happen if you drop lower than around 1200 calories/day.

Best bet - drop the calorie intake slowly, not all at once.

My thoughts as well. You're body recovers/rebuilds at night. Add an egg in there, and a mid morning small meal (replacement shake possibly)

I can’t stand egg (like really), so I don't know what to do there for breakfast, but throwing in a drink at about 9am is easy enough. Thanks for the tips guys. 👍

ok.. so eggs are out.

Alternatives:
Cup of Almonds - 546 calories: 20 grams of Protein, 20 grams of Carbs. 46 grams of fat, but its all natural and not processed.

1 cup of Hood Fat Free Cottage Cheese - 160 calories: 28 grams of Protein, 12 grams of carbs, 0 grams fat.

Other good options that I don't have calorie counts for are a slice of roast beef wrapped around string cheese. Two of these should do for a mid morning snack.

YES!!! Got my body fat tested today, and I'm still on target. 14.6%

This means I have 6 weeks to drop another 4% which is very doable.

That puts me at 10% on August 1st.

She's a bit bummed as that camping trip we went on stalled her metabolism and the she's up 5 lbs from where she was before we left.

I had a celebratory "Cheat" meal after my check yesterday evening and I realized i ate waaaaay too much food. Now I'm working hard to get back down to what I was yesterday morning. :(

Great improvements, that is awesome!👍

I have some tips for straps when you get there. :D
My new routine has me deadlifting sets at 315lbs. Which means I could use the tips on Straps :)

315 on deads? That's awesome!!!

So my tip is, to use them. ;)

Just kidding, oddly enough I actually do have some tips. I've gone through several kinds of straps and find the Schiek's to be the best. They have a nice padding and fit snug without ripping into your wrists. To keep the strap from ripping out of the seam, my partner reinforces the stitching with cat gut thread. I used to blow out a set of straps in about three months, but after they have been reinforced, I am currently going on a year on the same pair of straps.

Last Friday on my partial deads (Romanian Dead Lift), I opted for super strict form, keeping my shoulders back and my back completely flat during the entire set. I was getting up to 545lb sets but dropped to 405lb sets and really isolated my back and got the best all around pump in my back that I have gotten in a really long time. And to keep the topic relevant the straps helped.

Nuts... I just placed an order with BB.com this morning. Would have ordered the straps as well. I'll look into picking those up soon. Thanks for the input!

Suprisingly my lower back isn't as sore as I thought it would be. I did Calves the same day and they've been sore enough for two days that I have to walk slow. I have two more days to go before I'll have the new routine all written out and I'll post it up for others to have a look at.

Nuts... I just placed an order with BB.com this morning. Would have ordered the straps as well. I'll look into picking those up soon. Thanks for the input!

Suprisingly my lower back isn't as sore as I thought it would be. I did Calves the same day and they've been sore enough for two days that I have to walk slow. I have two more days to go before I'll have the new routine all written out and I'll post it up for others to have a look at.

We have a Universal Athletics that carries the Schiek straps.

:cheers:

Well, last night turned out well. Other than over estimating how much I could squat.

Last night was the last routine of the new regiment. 5 days on, 2 days off. My trainer sold me a pair of harbinger wrist straps for $5 and at the end of the workout, he gave me a lifting belt. Yes, I was doing deadlifts over 300lbs without a belt. Last night was a leg workout, and he concluded that I needed a belt.

I've finished up the Excel Spreadsheet that I do up so I can follow my own progress through the next 6 weeks. This routine is squarely designed to add muscle, coinciding with my diet to lose fat.

Here it is for your perusal.

Thoughts or questions, feel free to ask or state.

And my order from bodybuilding.com came in today. Gaspari SuperPump 250, Gaspari Novedex XT, and a sample of Muscletech naNO Vapor (pre-wokout mix) and a two t-shirts.

Edit: Updated a few mistakes on my Spreadsheet

Last edited:
I just got off a 6-week of Gaspari Novedex XT and SuperPump 250 about a month ago. One thing I will say is that it's THICK! :)

Coming off of it is also attributed to some of my weight loss due to water retention while I was on it. Seems like a good product though and will get back on it in another month. *checking out your new routine* Oh and, I'll try to get a back shot for comparison, minus the sun burn. :D

Last edited:
I've hit the weights again today. It's been a long while since I don't really feel like pushing 150 lbs in deadlifts when it's warm and nice outside. But anyway, my shoulder's back in one piece. I had to give it a full month, but the pain is gone now, I can move on. I've replaced the power cleans with bent-over rows. I hate rows, but the cleans were the cause of my pain so they had to go.

On that, I've got a surgery tomorrow so no training in the next couple of days I guess :indiff:

Today was a good back day. Then again, any day that I do deadlift sets over 300 lbs is a good day.

My trainer tweaked my regiment slightly today and it had an instant effect. On the Elliptical, I usually set the level at 12-13 (goes up to 20) and keep my steps per minute between 98 and 106. This keeps my heart rate starting at 130 and goin gup to just below 150 beats per minute.

He tweaked it to a level of 9-10 and SPM at 108-114. I keep my heart rate at the same pace, but this pushes me to breathe (and sweat) alot more. Thus working my muscles less, and my lungs more.

In other words, more of an aerobic workout, instead of anaerobic.

Hadn't seen this much sweat pour off me in a long time.

I just got off a 6-week of Gaspari Novedex XT and SuperPump 250 about a month ago. One thing I will say is that it's THICK! :)

Coming off of it is also attributed to some of my weight loss due to water retention while I was on it. Seems like a good product though and will get back on it in another month. *checking out your new routine* Oh and, I'll try to get a back shot for comparison, minus the sun burn. :D
I'll post up my results on how it went after a few weeks. If it worked for you, that means I'm on a good path. Thanks!

I've been doing pushups 3 times a day, sets of 25. This is my off season, Before I start back heavy after winter I just do stuff like this to get my muslces moving before I start lifting heavy comin after the fourth of july. Im pretty pumped!

Keeping in shape during the winter months is great!

On a completely unrelated note here... I have cleavage. I've worked my chest and managed my diet to the point where I have a seperation between my pecs. Its not a canyon, but its noticeable!

Which means everything I'm trying to do, is working.

If you start lactating we have to talk...... :yuck:

For what it's worth, my workouts have be sucking so bad lately. Part of it's injurys that aren't going away, and the lack of energy and strength this summer. I'm trying not to get down knowing that summer time is somewhat slack time with winter time being grow time.

Back