General Workout Routines and Questions

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 1,938 comments
Damn... that really sucks. See what happens when you go to the Doctor. :)

I hope it heals fast and you can manage to keep yourself mentally balanced and don't loose the momentum you've got now.

:D I'll catch him yet! Actually, my master plan is coming down to October of 2010. I've been watching my diet consistently over the past weeks and working toward loosing body fat. I get it tested this coming Saturday to see how it has been going. I'd like to be down to low 13%. My current goal is under 10% by end of September. Then its Powerlifting/muscle building for bench press strength until November for my bench contest.

Following that, I'll be gearing my workouts and diet to plan for the following October. Building up weak point muscle groups (Shoulders, arms & abs) and working on my bodys symmetry. From late June to October its really diet and by October be at 3%BF to step on Stage.

Then I'll Show Pako what muscle really looks like :D

Mentally balanced? That's going to be the hard part. Lifting is 2 hours of my daily routine. It's a release for me so I don't have to throw people out of windows and such.... It will be hard. My left shoulder is only about 80% recovered from my previous injury, so the upside is that this down time should promote a 100% healing on my shoulder.

On top of that, no bass playing for at least 6 weeks that I know of. I have some awesome gigs scheduled that I won't be able to play, so that bums me out, but there will be other great gigs in the sky down the road.

I'm not sure where to put this and all, but I'm completely and totally stoked

I benched 165 today!!!!!!!!!!

Most I've ever done :D I weigh 155

Past your own weight, good job man! 👍

I probably would have put that post in the "How much can you bench?" thread. ;)

Well, I've taken my week "Off" with nothing but cardio and in that week, I dropped 3 pounds. Exactly three pounds. 199.6 to 196.6.

This week, was putting together the new routine. Brutal one, as it really hits my weak points extensively. My shoulders were so sore the next day, I couldn't do anything above my head. Here's the New Routine.

I've dropped to a 4 day routine, to help build a bit of body mass. I'm still on the same diet. Which means I'll continue to slowly drop body fat and maintain muscle mass. With the drop to 4 days instead of 5, I'll hopefully build a bit of muscle mass.

The current plan, is to step on stage in October 2010 at 184 lbs, 3% body fat. Its tough, as right now, I carry 178lbs of lean mass. My schedule is to drop to 8% body fat and maintain that through next April/May. Then diet down to 184lbs. By doing this, I come in at the top end of the class (Novice is divided into above 185 and below 185). To get to this weight, I will have to lose some Muscle Mass. This is a calculated move as it will tighten the remaining mass and give me a harder, and bulkier look at a lighter weight.

At this point, you're either thinking I'm nutty or insane. To clear those thoughts, I'm not doing this on my own. I've got two trainers guiding me. One for routines (You can see his Youtube Video in the beginning of this thread) and the Other trainer is a Pro BB'er named Dave Finelli.

Here's a shot of him in 2005 when he last competed.
david_finelli_2005.jpg

Just wondering if you guys could give me some advice on a good place to start a work out routine. I am cannot afford to but any weights so I would prefer to have exercises that don't involve them.

-Thanks

Push-ups and chin-ups. Two great exercises that will help build muscle.

Push-ups can be varied myriad ways. Diamnd Push-ups (Your hands form a diamond), wide grip, inclined, declined, and even using a set of books. Put the books in a stack, and move yourself up and down, as you go side to side. Start with the books stacked just a bit to your left. LEft hand goes up on the books, then lift your right hand up on the books. Left hand goes to the left again, and then you bring your right hand down to match. Kinda like walking up and over the books while in the push-ups position. For another variation, put your feet up on a chair or bar stool. This changes the position that you are working the Pecs, and also works your shoulders.

Chin-ups can be done close grip, wide grip, grip facing in, grip facing out. Doing Pull-ups will make your back wider and thicker. A great exercise that doesn't take much.

Then go out and find a big heavy rock. Use your entire body to lift it multiple times.

And finally, running. Running will burn fat. Less fat shows more muscles, and you'll look bigger than you are.

Just wondering if you guys could give me some advice on a good place to start a work out routine. I am cannot afford to but any weights so I would prefer to have exercises that don't involve them.

-Thanks

Look up bodyweight exercises for gymnasts. There are so many things you can do.

Diet seems to be kicking into gear lately. For the last 5 weeks I've been losing a kilo a week, so I'm pretty happy with that. My taste buds absolutely hate me, but if I can keep this sort of progress going it is so worth it.

Congrats! Its always a great feeling to see your goals coming closer.

My diet is working, but my weight has been stable. I've dropped about a pound from two weeks ago. However, I noticed I know have veins showing up in my neck, and you can trace the larger veins from my shoulders to my knuckles. Which means my bodyfat is dropping.

Since my 405lb bench weight of 249lbs, I am down to 215 now. I am slowly shrinking.....

:)

WOW! that must be like 2-3 pant sizes? I'm in for it now, as I'm only 20lbs lighter than you and you still bench more than twice what I can. :)

How's the recovery going?

I'm actually in the waiting room now for my post surgery followup. Hopefully I'll get the go ahead to hit some legs, abs, and cardio. I'm getting grumpy. :)

I've found this awesome gym at my new Uni, the whole thing is brandnew. Now I don't know what kind of membership to take; I asked for a personal trainer since I don't want to look like a total "that guy" in the gym, but those guys are seriously expensive...

Any tips?

If you can, get a trainer to get you started, to put a program together for you. Ask if they have like a 1-2 week training course so you're not paying them forever.

Pako is right, You wouldn't need a Personal Trainer that works through every exercise with you, every time. I have a "trainer" in that every time I redo my workout schedule, I sit down with him review my progress and we change it up. He then takes me through each work out that week, to make sure I've got it right. Costs me $20.

My dietician was more expensive, but he reviews my bodyfat, my diet and my progress. As well as preparing me for the contest (posing, eating, water retention, blah, blah).

If you talk with the owner of the gym, or one of the higher up staff, they should be able to put you in touch with someone who can do exactly what you're looking for. Just someone to start you off on a program and make sure you know the exercises.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Just an update note here, I had my BF tested last Saturday (A week ago) and I'm down to 12.7%. A few more months and I'll be under 10%. Although this week has really been a disaster. Nasty Cold, lack of sleep, family in town, and an overall exhausted feeling.

In fact, I almost fell asleep in the gym today while taking a moment between shoulder sets.

Long time between posts in here.

This past two weeks has been interesting. The first of the two, I had a family in town and a massively rough head cold. Missed out on the gym for three days, and completely devestated my food regiment. Along the lines of Pizza, General Tsao's Chicken, Lodas of chicken soup, chips & dip and Chowder. Complete meltdown on my food intake. Missed meals, missed shakes and missed times. Also, my sleep patterns were all out of whack due to getting up in the middle of the night to feed Raja.

The second of two weeks, I was tired and cut out on my cardio two days, plus skipped out on the scond half of a workout. And was overall, tired.

Went in on Saturday to get the bad news on my Body Fat testing. For the past few months, I've been spot on and dropping 1/2% every two weeks. This week, I was expecting not good news but hoping, at best, for not bad news. Staying the same would have made me happy.

Got really good news. Apparently the change in food and missing the gym gave my body some exceptionally needed rest. My body fat was not the expected 1/2% drop, but nearly a full 1%.

I'm now down to 11.8% body fat. I've got veins showing in my neck, and across my calf muscles.

A few more months and I'll be down to my goal of under 10% for the new year. If I can convince the missus, I'll take some more recent progress photos. As all the other ones I'm at 16 and 14+% BF.

Awesome progress 👍

I've changed my shoulder workout around abit, while I used to be a fan of chop and change I've been quite regimented the last 8 weeks as I've had a gym buddy who's new to it all.

Old workout
Dumbell Shoulder press
Superset Lat + Rear delt cable pulls
Standing Rows
Sled shrugs

New workout
Standing barbell shoulder press
Reverse dumbell flye
Single dumbell clean and press
Standing rows
Incline reverse flyes

Nice work Alex. Funny how the body works sometimes, huh?

Progress is still going steady on my end. Hovering around 97kg at the moment, still losing about 1kg per week. Goal is 85kg by Christmas and if I can get into the mid 70s by March I'd be on top of the world.

Nice work Alex. Funny how the body works sometimes, huh?

Progress is still going steady on my end. Hovering around 97kg at the moment, still losing about 1kg per week. Goal is 85kg by Christmas and if I can get into the mid 70s by March I'd be on top of the world.
Indeed it is. I was stumped on why, and spent a few minutes talking with my coach about it, and we finally came to the conclusion that my metabolism is something most Furnaces would be jealous of.

Now onto the better news.

Two days ago, I was at the gym and there was an absolute tree trunk of a guy doing legs. On the leg press he usually has 800 to 1200 lbs for sets. He stands near 6'-5" tall. He's a small Redwood.

Anyways... He went to do his calves while I was doing deadlifts. Apparently, I was going heavy enough that my calves were flexed. because of my past, and genetics, they are huge. Combined with my low body fat, The Redwood (who I later found out was Bruce) told me he hoped to get calves like mine. And he'd love to be As cut as I am. Apparently, lots of people at the gym have been watching me get more and more cut, and I was compeltely unaware of it.

Ensuing conversation was "What Supplements are you taking?" "None. Just the proper food intake". "What weights are you lifting?" "light weights, combined with High intensity and lots of Cardio".

He was thoroughly amazed. Made that night, Tops.

Got home and a friend was over dropping of some fish for the Fishtanks to my wife. His first comment, "Damn, you looked great. What Supplements are you taking?" Same conversation ensued.

Yes, I'm taking a moment to pat myself on the back for all the hardwork I've done.

Just goes to show, if you get the diet right and you stick to the plan, anyone can do it.

👍 Sounds like it's paying off!!!
Indeed it has been paying off.

Got my body fat tested yesterday, and in the previous two weeks it hasn't moved. I came in at 11.8%. However, I did add 2.5lbs of weight. Which means my lean mass went up 2.25 lbs and I gained .25 lbs of fat.

Both my coaches were planning on this happening, as I had dropped to a 4 day routine, instead of a 5 day routine. The previous bigger drop was because my body was expecting the 6 day and burning the fat as it was accustomed to. Now that I've been on the 4 day routine for 6 weeks, my metabolism slowed down a bit and my body is regearing itself towards building mass. All of this means that both coaches know that I'm sticking to my diet.

So, if I'm misstep my diet, it throws the system out of whack and I'll gain fat instead of maintaining the amount I'm carrying. And they'll both know that I cheated.

Knowing that I'm still more than a year out from my first competition, Both coaches are putting my through a mass increasing regiment. I'll post up my new routine in a few days, as I'm currently halfway through the first week.

Oh, and my first competition will be the BLNPA Northeast Natural October 16, 2010. I'm going to this years compeition to see what condition I'll have to be in. The good part of this one, is that my nutrition Coach is one of the judges and he'll bring me for a quick tour backstage as an "Informational Enlightening."

Just a small update here.

I've changed my workout regiment again, as its been 6 weeks and I'm still trying to encourage muscle confustion and growth.

PDF Format

Now at 92kg. Still continuing with my low calorie diet and doing crossfit sessions with my PT twice a week. Other than that not heaps on the exercise front, getting outdoors a bit more now that summer is coming up, and just getting into karting, but other than that not much.

Did a 5km run yesterday in 29 minutes. Not stunning pace but easily the best I've ever managed. I was absolutely shattered at the end though, not sure if that's due to a lack of sleep or a lack of vitamins. One or the other has been causing me to be a little lethargic in the past few weeks but it's hard to say unless I actually get a week of proper sleep.

Overall progress is good though. Lost 15kg since my peak weight of 107kg 5 months ago.

Woah, that's fantastic progres Blake! 👍

Also, Der Alta, wonderful progress as well! :cheers:

I'm hoping to get a more of a swimmer's build now that I've begun to swim a lot. I know professional swimmers spend a lot of time in the gym as well, but as I mentioned in my own thread, that gym costs 75 dollars a month. So I'm doing pushups at home, slow and controlled push ups, and sit ups. Going to swim later today, purchased protein supplement yesterday. Also watching my food so I'm hoping I'll lose some fat around my hips, and to make the V-shape stand out a little bit more. It's funny how much muscles can swell up when you start training again. Everytime I'm finished swimming I stand before the mirror, tighten myself up and I go "Hey, that's not too bad!" But I know it's just my muscles which have absorbed a lot of water. Hoping I can make some nice changes with some good eating habits and the swimming 👍

Thanks! and it seems that others are making progress as well.

Here's the new regiment, which is back to a 5 day routine. It was re-geared to a Bodybuilders approach with weights to harden and add muscle, while encouraging metabolism increases.

Heavy 4, weekly.

You can see the weights didn't increase significantly, but the reps did. Also, the Cardio has been switch to 10min before and 30min after. January 1st, this will change to 30minutes first thing in the Morning (Before eating breakfast) and 10-20minutes after the weights in the evening.

Last edited:
Great work guys. 👍

I'm currently trying to get a bulk sorted out. I've started doing creatine, probably abit premature but I've got some monohydrate for quite cheap and want to get used to the routine. Trying to keep my protein and calorie intake as high as possible without switching to a regimented routine. Though I'm actually finding my abs getting more defined. This is probably partly because I'm now cycling to and from uni and the gym which involved about of hill climbing and also because I now do a comprehensive sprint session once a week.

To remedy this I'm going to get some oates to mix in with my morning shake as I think that's where my main calorie deficit is at the moment.

Hey Even, how are the bench presses coming along for you? It's been quite a while since I've visited this thread, so I've missed track of your progress on the bench presses.

Back