General Workout Routines and Questions

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 1,940 comments
Hey Even, how are the bench presses coming along for you? It's been quite a while since I've visited this thread, so I've missed track of your progress on the bench presses.
Not so brilliantly if I'm honest. It crept up slowly over the summer to about 95kg for 3 but it's been really slow progress.

Now I'm back in uni I struggle to get a regular spotter (or a bench for that matter) so I'm using dumbells mostly. However, come easter when my gym buddy is back I'll hopefully be making good gains on the bench now my diet is better and the creatine.

Another update. I have changed up my regiment at the 5 week mark, instead of the usual 6 week mark. My body is adapting quicker to the routine change, so we sped that up a bit.

My conditioning is coming along nicely and my muscle appearance and vascularity are improving. Therefore, we switch to a mass building process. Here's the new regiment.

In two weeks, I make a really big change and begin my cardio at 5am. I'll do 1/2 hour of Elliptical before breakfast. Then weights in the evening, followed by 20 minutes of Elliptical. As I approach contest day, I'll be upping that bit by bit. Also, I'll be changing my diet considerably to prepare for the contest.

5 weeks from today, I have to change up my routine again. The plan at that point is to enable some serious muscle confusion and do a different routine each week for 6 weeks. I'll basically take all the routines I've done and revisit each one for a week. Then its heavy training up to contest day, with loads of cardio 5-6 days a week.

On Jan 1st, I'll post up the beginning pictures, and every few weeks, I'll post progress pics. I'll also start my own training thread.

That's quite a nice pyramid you have going there. Is the relatively high rep range (15) working best for your mass or is it to give you a good chance to warm up and get the blood flowing?

I do the 20 minutes of Elliptical to get myself warmed up. The 15 to 6 reps sets are to stress as much of the muscle as I can. The quick and heavy pyramid is to break down different muscle fibers.

There are Fast twitch and Slow Twitch muscle fibers. Of which can be broken down further into Fast Twitch Type A and Type B muscle Fibers. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

By transitioning from 15 reps to 6 reps, I take exploit this little bit of info. I'm trying to maximize and harden the muscle. This design is supposed to aim for that.

Seems like I'm taking over this thread.

I had a slip up over the holidays and my BF went up. I was 12.1%.

Got my Body Fat tested a yesterday , and I'm back on target. 11.3% and carrying 179.5 lbs of lean mass.

I've officially started my Pre-contest diet, and have upped the Cadio regiment. I'm currently doing 30 minutes of Elliiptical at 5am. Then weights in the evening. High intensity, high reps, squeezing every rep. I'm working on adding 1 lb of lean mass and dropping 12-15 lbs of fat by contest time. The main intent is to improve my conditioning for the stage.

My third posing class is tonight. Legs and Abs.

It wasn't a bad week on the diet. I stuck it very closely, and my body fat dropped from 11.3% to 10.6%. I dropped 4 lbs, of which 2 were pure fat. The other two pounds, are Cell volume. To counteract this loss, my trainer told me to get a Cheat meal. Steak, Mashed Potatos, and a Big Salad. I have to phone him tomorrow, with my weight to see if it truly was Cell Volume loss, as opposed to lean mass. My Lean Mass is 177.6 lbs.

With the drop in Body Fat, I can now trace a vein from the top of my shoulder, over my bicep, along my forearm, through my wrist, and ending on my knuckles. Road Map, baby. Road Map.

April 10th, here I come.

Road Map, baby. Road Map.

That's badass!

I'm still plunging into the water, haven't noticed any gain of muscle yet. Got my dumbbells with me now so I'm doing some bicep curls as well as push ups, have bearly gotten better at those, especially with Christmas and newyear's eve dinners :ouch:

I've got another 2 months of eating like a horse and trying to gain (which isn't going spectacular, but okay) and then I'm gonna start picking up my cardio majorly, while still eating like a horse.

My motivation is 3 pronged. Aussie Rules season starts back in April, a fun 7s rugby tournament start of May and the summer is looming.

The only downer is I'm still waiting on Gyno surgery. But the plus being that I'm having a key-hole procedure on it so my time-out will be minimal.

With the drop in Body Fat, I can now trace a vein from the top of my shoulder, over my bicep, along my forearm, through my wrist, and ending on my knuckles. Road Map, baby. Road Map.

April 10th, here I come.
Hitting 10%BF! Get some pics up!

I'm way overdue for progress pics. Hopefully, this week I'll post some up.

I haven't started tanning yet, so I'm still pale and pasty white. Remember to turn down the glare settings on your monitor when I do post them :)

I'm way overdue for progress pics. Hopefully, this week I'll post some up.

I haven't started tanning yet, so I'm still pale and pasty white. Remember to turn down the glare settings on your monitor when I do post them :)
I'm used to being blinded! My ginger housemate is finally decided to drop basketball and take his bodybuilding serious, and hasn't stopped doing lat spreads since!

Sweet, today I found out that for the same amount of money I pay the local gym per month, I can go to the university gym a whole year. That's uber-cheap! Was at it with a friend today, and dear god have I lost loads of power... I've been over at bodybuilding.com to look for people to suggest me a program that will focus on lean muscle mass, no bulking, to work away the fat around my waist, and to benefit my swimming.

👍

Does anyone here go to the gym twice a day? I go in the evening for an hour usually starting around 6pm. At the moment I'm doing half an hour cardio workout which is alternated between rowing, cross trainer and running. I usually then spend half an hour doing some average weight training, nothing to heavy.

I now want to start doing an hour in the morning but I am worried about burning muscle rather than fat. I find it hard to eat in the morning and I will most likely have a banana and glass of milk before I go. Ideally I want to do mornings three to four times per week.

Does anyone here go to the gym twice a day? I go in the evening for an hour usually starting around 6pm. At the moment I'm doing half an hour cardio workout which is alternated between rowing, cross trainer and running. I usually then spend half an hour doing some average weight training, nothing to heavy.

I now want to start doing an hour in the morning but I am worried about burning muscle rather than fat. I find it hard to eat in the morning and I will most likely have a banana and glass of milk before I go. Ideally I want to do mornings three to four times per week.

As long as you take in enough fuel early on, don't worry about running early. However, running early without a decent breakfast is mostly more suited for overweight people because since your body is low on sugar, protein and calories in general, it'll burn fat like crazy. So unless you have a fat layer to remove, don't dive in too hard early in the morning. Also, if you do the one hour session, I'd recommend doing cardio after weights because you will need all of your energy to do your reps with good form. If your low on energy, chances are high you will lift lower weights than you're used to and you'll leave the gym with a feeling you haven't done as much as you otherwise would've.

Overall I'd say that there's nothing wrong with cardio in the morning, just don't make it a too long exercise and eat something that gives you plenty of energy for that half hour session. Fruits do wonders I've heard; they give plenty of energy since they're both healthy, low on fat, and they give you good amounts of sugar. I've found out that eating fruit right before I go swimming boosts me like nothing else.

I'm planning to keep the morning cardio session to half an hour and will most likely be cross trainer or rowing. I have a bit of fat on the lower part of my stomach which has been bugging me for a while so I thought the increase may help to shift the last bit then I can start to get more definition. I'm going to keep a better eye on my diet now and will probably keep a log of what I'm eating.

Bram is right on. Cardio first thing in the morning is great for burning body fat. Combined with Weights in the evening you'll make some fast changes in your body.

I do it this way 5 days a week. 5 AM cardio (1/2 hour on the elliptical machine), before I've eaten anything. As soon as I get home, I have a protein shake, a Multi-vitamin, and Oatmeal. Keep in mind, I take in loads of protein through out the entire day, and as such, I still have some in my system when I hit this in the morning. If you have your protein shake after your evening weight session, along with some chicken during the day, it'll be a very effective fat burning method.

I made this switch over at the beginning of January, as I'm on a competition training regiment now. In that short time, I've gone from 12.5% body fat to 10.6% (I have another test today, so I'll update later), which is a loss of 4 lbs of fat in 3 weeks, with no loss of lean mass.

This method will burn fat all over your body. You'll look leaner and harder, with more definition in your muscle.

Good luck!

I'm going to keep a better eye on my diet now and will probably keep a log of what I'm eating.

Don't stress on writing down everything you eat as well as counting your calories. The main things you want to eat when on a diet and working on a new body are mainly carbohydrates before workout, and proteins after. A solid meal would consist of for example brown rice, brocolli and chicken. Also, don't be afraid of eating much fish. But don't go the "Fishsticks" way though, salmon is incredibly healthy and it contains tons of oils, hence the name fishoil for supplements. Throughout the day keep your metabolism up on fruits, nuts, and above all, drink loads of water. I tend to drink a glass every 15-30 minutes. Not only does a lot of water in your body transfer nutrition faster and more effecient, it keeps the feeling of being stuffed up there so that you don't feel the need to grab a snack every so often.

Oh, and to make sure you don't go crazy or paranoid after a while of only having to shop healthy food, treat yourself to something tasty whenever you have reached a new goal. Only eating the same food over and over and stessing on how healthy you need to eat while make you stessed and too focussed on food after a while. Having a cookie won't send you to hell, if you have set a new personal record at benchpress after many weeks of trying and failing? Great, now treat yourself to a nice chocolate cookie!

Okay, so I went from 'arms like Arnold' to 'a belly like Tom Arnold' over the past two years. ;) But I've finally managed to find myself some spare time to start working out again. Unfortunately, I can only spare three sessions in a week of about 1.5 hours each. My main focus will be to lose fat, but I want to keep my strength up to par as well (what's left of it anyway :P). Also, there's not much fat to burn if there's no muscle. ;) So for this reason, I have decided to focus on cardio-fitness and the major muscle groups (legs, back, chest) only, and leave the rest for what it is (for now).

Of course, I have adapted my food intake accordingly as well. :)

So here's my new schedule, feel free to comment/discuss. I'm especially curious if I should put some biceps/triceps in. I do some crunches whenever I feel need to, but my abs are fine, they're just wrapped in. ;)

Day 1 (chest/back):

- Bike 20 minutes at HR of 130/140 (warmup)

- Benchpress (4 sets)
- Lying Pec fly Dumbbells (4 sets)
- Dumbbell pullover (4 sets)

- Bent over row (4 sets)
- Cable pull down (4 sets)
- Seated row (4 sets)

- Crosstrainer 30 minutes at HR of 140/150

Day 2 (legs/shoulders):

- Squats (4 sets)
- Straight Leg Straight Back Deadlift (4 sets)
- Leg extension (4 sets)
- Hamstring curl (4 sets)

- Dumbbell shoulder press (4 sets)
- Dumbbell lateral raise (4 sets)
- Dumbbell shrugs (4 sets)

Day 3 (cardio fitness):

- Bench press low-weight (50 reps, 4 sets)
- Bent over row low-weight (50 reps, 4 sets)
- Crosstrainer 20 minutes at HR of 140/150

Last edited:
Day 3 (cardio fitness):

- Incline walking 20 minutes at HR of 140/150
- Rowing 20 minutes at HR of 140/150
What kind of conditioning are in for cardio? I can handle the 30 minute program on my elliptical machine fine, but I doubt that I could do three back-to-back (at least not with decent returns)! Granted, I know that you'll be working different muscle groups for 20/30 minutes at a time, but ouch!

Maybe day 3 you could sneak in your bi/tri workout and have 60 minutes of cardio?

Damn holidays, gained 2kg in 2 weeks. :indiff:

Will have to seriously step it up in the next few weeks.

TB
What kind of conditioning are in for cardio? I can handle the 30 minute program on my elliptical machine fine, but I doubt that I could do three back-to-back (at least not with decent returns)! Granted, I know that you'll be working different muscle groups for 20/30 minutes at a time, but ouch!

Maybe day 3 you could sneak in your bi/tri workout and have 60 minutes of cardio?

The cardio day is one that is the most up for discussion. ;) At the moment, I'm at 3x20 minutes, but I want to take it to 90 minutes. I guess I could stick with my current and squeeze in a few biceps/triceps excercises, but I have some really, really nasty amounts of fat to get rid of. ;) And I usually find I can keep going as long as I bring my iPod and I can get to the machines that look out at the TV's with Discovery Channel (Chop Shop etc.) on. :)

Going that much, for that long, you're likely to burn muscle as well as fat.

I would suggest adding some weight routines in there. For instance, when you're benching just the Bar, for to sets of 50 reps, you're burming as much fat as you would as if you were walking. Except you get teh added benefit of increasing your muscle size. More muscle, worked harder = faster fat burning.

As fo rme, I did good on my week checking. Body fat has finally reached a milestone. I am now under 10%. 9.7% to be exact. As an added benfit, I haven't lost any lean mass. Still at 179lbs of lean mass. My trainer noted that I was ahead of the game as I train towards the show in April.

9.7% is excellent. 👍

On the 90 minutes cardio routine I think you are right, it is too much. I've squeezed in two routines and dropped the rowing and walking. Looks a lot more balanced now. :)

Bram is right on. Cardio first thing in the morning is great for burning body fat. Combined with Weights in the evening you'll make some fast changes in your body.

I made this switch over at the beginning of January, as I'm on a competition training regiment now. In that short time, I've gone from 12.5% body fat to 10.6% (I have another test today, so I'll update later), which is a loss of 4 lbs of fat in 3 weeks, with no loss of lean mass.

This method will burn fat all over your body. You'll look leaner and harder, with more definition in your muscle.

Good luck!

That sounds really encouraging, getting rid of the fat is my target. Can't wait to get stuck in Monday morning now.

Don't stress on writing down everything you eat as well as counting your calories. The main things you want to eat when on a diet and working on a new body are mainly carbohydrates before workout, and proteins after. A solid meal would consist of for example brown rice, brocolli and chicken. Also, don't be afraid of eating much fish. But don't go the "Fishsticks" way though, salmon is incredibly healthy and it contains tons of oils, hence the name fishoil for supplements.

Oh, and to make sure you don't go crazy or paranoid after a while of only having to shop healthy food, treat yourself to something tasty whenever you have reached a new goal.

My diet is pretty strict at the moment. Lunch is normally wholemeal granary bread with chicken and salad or I have something like Ryvita's and pilchards/sardines. I'm snacking on low fat yoghurt's and fruit during the day then head straight to the gym after work. Meals after the gym consist of at least three vegetables with salmon fillets, chicken breast etc. On the weekends we normally have dinner out at a good quality restaurant as a treat.

I find that I still get a bit of a sugar craving in the evening but it's normally cured with a small bowl of oats.

My diet is pretty strict at the moment. Lunch is normally wholemeal granary bread with chicken and salad or I have something like Ryvita's and pilchards/sardines. I'm snacking on low fat yoghurt's and fruit during the day then head straight to the gym after work. Meals after the gym consist of at least three vegetables with salmon fillets, chicken breast etc. On the weekends we normally have dinner out at a good quality restaurant as a treat.

I find that I still get a bit of a sugar craving in the evening but it's normally cured with a small bowl of oats.

Sounds pretty much spot on already 👍

The reason I said to treat yourself every once in a while is just because of this craving you talk about. What many may not be aware of is that sometimes this craving is not just a feeling you have to ignore, but sometimes actually pinpoints you that you have too little sugar in your blood. This often occurs with people dieting insane and nearly not taking in any sugar whatsoever. Good luck, let us know how you'll get along 👍

On that, I'm still undecided whether I want to go for a leaner build with pure lean muscle mass, or re-starting the Starting Strength program to get back at those numbers I was at in the summer. A swimmer's build would be fantastic, but I've always been dreamy about being able to move high numbers.

I just beat all my work colleagues on the punching-power machine in a bar. Needless to say, none of them women from work were impressed, but it's proved I'm doing something right in the gym :D

So I went to the gym for 'Day 3' today. :) The 4x50 reps with just a bar is a phenomenal tip! 👍 I started out with the bent over row, 4x50 was actually quite doable, so I'll add some weight (maybe 5kg) the next time. The 4x50 bench press was something else. First set was easy, second I barely made 50 and the last two were 40 and 35 respectively. And the feeling you get is amazing! The whole exercise (both back and chest) lasted only 15-18 minutes or so, but it felt better than any cardio excercise I have done so far, the pump you get is excellent and my heart rate was up all the time!

The reason I said to treat yourself every once in a while is just because of this craving you talk about. What many may not be aware of is that sometimes this craving is not just a feeling you have to ignore, but sometimes actually pinpoints you that you have too little sugar in your blood. This often occurs with people dieting insane and nearly not taking in any sugar whatsoever.
You should have regular 'bulk' days in your cutting diet to fool your body into thinking it's not on shortage. :) If you don't eventually your burn rate will go down to match your intake. BTW, with me it's not a craving feeling I experience when low on sugar, but more a light-headed feeling. That's when I know I need something sweet (preferrably from fruit or similar).

Today was day one of morning gym and it was slightly easier than I expected. Alarm was set for 6.45am, I'm normally up at 8am so losing that bit of sleep was hard but not too bad once you're actually up.

The gym was quiet which was nice and managed to do 45 minutes, half an hour cardio and fifteen minutes of stretching and very light weights. I didn't eat before I went to the gym but had a bowl of muesli when I got in which should hold the hunger back until around 12pm.

Round 2 starts tonight at about 7pm, will have to see what my energy levels are like.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back