Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
I just thought of something: Recall that the Data logger gives some interesting results in regards to car sounds, most notable with any of the cars using the new sound method. I wonder if the Data Logger was made only to interpret the old sound method and not the new one, which could explain why the Red Bull X2014 sounds more like the X2010 in GT5 or why the Lotus 97T sounds more like a champ car.

This ship has sailed. More content please, like hours of A spec would be nice. Newer models of cars, less dupes. You get my drift.

There are numerous such examples. There is a separate thread for it, in fact: "worst sounding cars", or somesuch. There's also its complement, somewhere: "best sounding cars".

My explanation is they've not been paying attention to their old way of generating sounds, that's why this mis-allocation is generally worse in recent games than, say, GT4. Obviously, the Sauber has always been wrong, it's just never been fixed.

We know, though, that when PD do pay attention to the sound, old method or new, they do get close. The HSV-010 is a prime example: they changed it twice in updates to GT5, and all three sounds (original and the 2 updated) used recognisably recycled samples. The LFA was tweaked in GT5, also, among a few others.

It's really all about their new method, as and when they finally get to putting it into in a game properly. The 97T is the best illustrator of what to expect at this point, in my opinion. If I'm right about that, then it means more cars will sound more accurate with less attention.

There is the danger that too many similarly configured engines will sound too samey by guessing / using default values, instead of taking the time to correctly research it. But subtle things like using the length of the car to colour the exhaust sound should create enough variation; something I'm just about to test. :D

Something apart from the engine sound in Gran Turismo that annoy me is the gear changing sound, because all cars pretty much shift gears with no delay. I remember this was not the case in Gran Turismo 3 when it actually was a delay when shifting gears (on "regular" cars), I think this is a huge steb backwards.

However in GT5 one of few exceptions was the Lexus IS F which actually sounded like it did in real life when shifting and I always enjoyed driving this car because of this. (plus the engine also sounded pretty close to the real thing)

Anyway... now in GT6 they downgraded the gearshifting sound of the IS F so that is sounds exactly the same as all other cars and deleted its unique-ness when it comes to this, another step backwards PD!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here's a few videos showcasing what I mean:

GT5 - CORRECT

GT6 - NOT CORRECT

Real Life

So, anyone else know more examples like this, that has been downgraded/upgraded, or has a different gearchanging sound in general?

Something apart from the engine sound in Gran Turismo that annoy me is the gear changing sound, because all cars pretty much shift gears with no delay. I remember this was not the case in Gran Turismo 3 when it actually was a delay when shifting gears (on "regular" cars), I think this is a huge steb backwards.

However in GT5 one of few exceptions was the Lexus IS F which actually sounded like it did in real life when shifting and I always enjoyed driving this car because of this. (plus the engine also sounded pretty close to the real thing)

Anyway... now in GT6 they downgraded the gearshifting sound of the IS F so that is sounds exactly the same as all other cars and deleted its unique-ness when it comes to this, another step backwards PD!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here's a few videos showcasing what I mean:

GT5 - CORRECT

GT6 - NOT CORRECT

Real Life

So, anyone else know more examples like this, that has been downgraded/upgraded, or has a different gearchanging sound in general?

I think they also changed the downshifting sounds of the Mercedes sl55 amg.
On GT5 we could hear some revving when downshifting, in GT6 it's muted.

GT5

GT6

yes, but the game could sound a lot better if the gear changes are made properly
It bears mentioning that the H-pattern mode really brings the sounds to life in a way I didn't originally expect. Obviously, now I know better, and it's really, really important to focus on the control as much as the sounds themselves.

I think the ultra-fast gear changes are a parity thing, because there was that quick-shift hack for H-pattern users kicking around - it was a hardware hack, so...

Anyway, nice demonstration of how physics-driven control is better than canned control:

It bears mentioning that the H-pattern mode really brings the sounds to life in a way I didn't originally expect. Obviously, now I know better, and it's really, really important to focus on the control as much as the sounds themselves.

I think the ultra-fast gear changes are a parity thing, because there was that quick-shift hack for H-pattern users kicking around - it was a hardware hack, so...

Anyway, nice demonstration of how physics-driven control is better than canned control:

What do you suppose the userbase percentage is that plays with a clutched setup? 10%? 1%? Seems like the non-clutched player base is of significant percentage that making some effort to properly simulate some actual shifting physics/audio would be worth it.

Wish that video was direct feed instead of environmentalized, since that will significantly affect perception

What do you suppose the userbase percentage is that plays with a clutched setup? 10%? 1%? Seems like the non-clutched player base is of significant percentage that making some effort to properly simulate some actual shifting physics/audio would be worth it.

Wish that video was direct feed instead of environmentalized, since that will significantly affect perception
All they have to do is add a clutch button for everyone.

The moment you start adding "shift simulation", you have to add variation to avoid listener fatigue, and if that variation is random, you're rolling the dice to give players the advantage in one gear change or another, and a disadvantage in others, beyond their influence (bad idea in a game like GT). To avoid that, you can separate the sound and the physics, but then you're completely missing the point. The randomness is fine for the AI, though.

No: clutch button. Better. :)

Then PD could perhaps relax the uber-mega-rapid gear changes a touch on the default (no- / auto-clutch) sequential setup, and chamfer the edges of the control for those events, too.
Ironically, if the temporal resolution of the control were lower, it'd probably sound "better"; well, at least more familiar. The aliasing / stepping tends to impart a bit of character to a throttle blip that a perfectly faithfully replicated square wave pulse can't match on its own. Of course, changing that pulse shape to something more organic is even better still.

Regarding the off-screen footage vs. direct feed, my advice: play the game! :P
Here's a captured video, though. And one or two others that show a difference in style.

Just leaving this feedback here in hopes that PD someday might read it and hopefully take note. And yes, I'm making a FM - GT comparison, so deal with it. I'm doing it for the sake of someday having that perfect Gran Turismo most of us so desperately want.

I always try not to be too picky and request for realistic features within the developer's capabilities, but after two weeks of playing Forza 4, I've noticed little details that really amazed me with the sounds. Details that they had no need to add, but they did.

Turbo sounds in Gran Turismo need to improve A LOT. There is no excuse for having the same, slightly modified, turbo sound effects they've been using since GT2. Forza 4 has like (at least that I've heard) three different turbo sound effects, and blow-off valve sounds too. Not only that, but they go to the extent of making sure Diesel engines don't have a blow-off sound like it should be, as well as with BMW N-Series turbo engines. That, right there is attention to detail. That shows love for the game.

I am so glad this game has all these little things that makes it so enjoyable, and really puts a smile on my face, but at the same time it pisses me off, because GT is supposed to be superior and have these things. Sometimes, I fantasize about showing all these things to Kaz and telling him I don't want to play Forza anymore; that I want to keep playing GT for the rest of my life, but that it needs all these things to be improved.

I must admit, Forza 4's sounds are a bit too loud in some cars, which annoys me a bit, but they are very accurate. As accurate as hopefully GT will someday have.

Turbo sounds in Gran Turismo need to improve A LOT. There is no excuse for having the same, slightly modified, turbo sound effects they've been using since GT2. Forza 4 has like (at least that I've heard) three different turbo sound effects, and blow-off valve sounds too.
Definitely this. I love listening to anti-lag, popping sounds, grumbling, but whenever I drive a rally car on GT6, it's just... depressing.

hsv
Definitely this. I love listening to anti-lag, popping sounds, grumbling, but whenever I drive a rally car on GT6, it's just... depressing.
I agree with you. The sound of rally cars is unrealistic. :grumpy:

Playing DriveClub and then going back to GT6 is like going on a motorbike and then using your bicycle, its a complete step down in many ways. Even though there are only 50 cars but all the cars behave differently, graphics are really good and especially the sounds, each car has its on distinct sound and I would not mind playing that for hours on hours. Whereas on GT6 I driving cars all because of the terrible sound, there is no joy in in driving at all hearing the same old engine sound and knowing full well that the sounds are no where accurate. GT6 and PS3 is left gathering dust.
Waiting to jump onto the PS4 very soon towards Christmas to get my hands on PS4, The Crew and PCArs and also Driveclub, don't see GT7 making an impact on my decision to buy one when it does release.

I shall leave everyone with the video above :)

I tried that Gran Turismo software that extracts the game, there's 4,894 car sound files in .esgx and .sgd formats, all of these files are under 300 KB in size

untitled-1hbopz.jpg

Oh, now that's just being naughty.

esgx are containers of samples, sgd are just "loose" samples. They can be extracted / played back with tools made for older consoles...

engine are the engine samples
normal are NA sounds
turbo, self explanatory; the numbers refer to the exhaust part (0 stock, 3 full race).
se are the blowoff, horn etc. effects
start are the startup sounds

aes is the interesting stuff. ;)

Oh, now that's just being naughty.

esgx are containers of samples, sgd are just "loose" samples. They can be extracted / played back with tools made for older consoles...

engine are the engine samples
normal are NA sounds
turbo, self explanatory; the numbers refer to the exhaust part (0 stock, 3 full race).
se are the blowoff, horn etc. effects
start are the startup sounds

aes is the interesting stuff. ;)
You drove us to the dance, you can't sit on the bench now:D. What is "aes"? @Whistle Snap ?

Back