Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
No idea what aes is, there's only two files with no file extension (3KB each) in the folder.

Playback of esgx files??? These are located in engine, normal and turbo folders.

se folder, sgd files, horns, I can't find anything to playback these.

start folder, sgd files, engine start up, I can listen to these with VLC.

No idea what aes is, there's only two files with no file extension (3KB each) in the folder.

Playback of esgx files??? These are located in engine, normal and turbo folders.

se folder, sgd files, horns, I can't find anything to playback these.

start folder, sgd files, engine start up, I can listen to these with VLC.
Is this it?

https://www.aescrypt.com/

AES Crypt is a file encryption software available on several operating systems that uses the industry standard Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to easily and securely encrypt files.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8672102_open-aes-file.html

A file with an ".aes" extension is encrypted with the open-source AES Crypt program, which offers advanced encryption of Windows, Mac and Linux files to prevent unauthorised access. AES Crypt works by encrypting the data in the file with a sophisticated algorithm, and adding the ".aes" extension to the original file extension. Open an AES file by downloading and installing AES Crypt software, then entering the correct security password to decrypt and open the file.

I take it then one can't open the files without the proper password? I'd try "GT-R" or "skyline" or "forzasucks" first:lol:

This sound which Bugatti Veyron does in GT6 is the Mansory Exhaust.

GT6:

Mansory Exhaust:

Real Sound

Which ones are the best? GT6, Mansory Exhaust or the Forza Horizon 2/Real Sound?

You're comparing the Base Model Veyron in GT6 with the Super Sport in Forza Horizon 2.

The exhaust is different on the Super Sport in comparison to the 16:4:

16:4

Super Sport

Just in revving, the sounds are not alike. Similar of course because there's a W16 in both, but not the same.

Also, it sorta does sound like a V8 in real life anyway (not like that exactly).

The exhaust is different on the Super Sport in comparison to the 16:4:

16:4

Super Sport

Just in revving, the sounds are not alike. Similar of course because there's a W16 in both, but not the same.

Also, it sorta does sound like a V8 in real life anyway (not like that exactly).

So, was Veyron supposed to sound like a V8 in GT6, right?

Just about, yes. The sample they have however isn't quite working with the method Griffith500 refers to.

Its much easier to tell in GT6 thanks to that Data logger, but you can hear just a faint bit of the actual sample and tell that its muddied deep in that synthetic mess. The BMW Z4 GT3 (a car I love) is one example of this as its sample is reduced to a single tone that only maintains the Octave but not the same pitch or bass as the original engine note.

Just about, yes. The sample they have however isn't quite working with the method Griffith500 refers to.
They won't be using a sample, and only the Red Bull and Senna cars use the new method at the moment. They clearly just grabbed at the nearest thing to hand for the Veyron, which was some random V10 sample set.

The new method stretches to 16 cylinders - I doubt there'll ever be anything with more than that in a GT game. It's the limit I picked for my synthesisers, too. Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be a way to support the specific sound the LFA makes in the method as it stands in GT6, because it doesn't support multiple exhaust routes for the same sounds. The F355's signature sound is made in a similar way as the LFA's, in real life, but that can be faked with 16 cylinders.

The Veyron sound is like two V8s offset by 45 degrees (in terms of firing intervals), so it's both unique and recognisable at the same time. There's also the VR engine "staggered cylinder" lumpiness from uneven port lengths. But it's not too dissimilar to this:

Bearing in mind that the Veyron's W16 is more like two interleaved (and staggered) V8s, rather than two end to end.
Griffith and Chippy, did any of you land the job at PD?
I'd be very surprised if I did, since I didn't apply! ;)

for road car, overall GT6 do a good job.

Example:
Nissan GTR
Nissan GTR Nismo
Mac Laren 12C
Ferrari F40
Ferrari 458
Audi R8 V8
Audi R8 V10 (one of the most realistic and joyable)
LFA
LFA Nurb
Pagani Zonda
Mercedes SLS AMG
Mazda RX7
Honda NSX-R
etc ...

But they can missed some important car...
Enzo
Huayra
Veyron

The main complain comes for the race car. Since I use mostly road cars I'm ok with the sound in GT

I will say I'm pleasantly surprised with the Zonda Road cars, they have a wail to them that I don't usually associate with PD doing. Its a huge departure from what they gave it before

Is this it?

Found some AES stuff:

AESParameter

revlimit_rpm
waveform_ex_off
waveform_ex
misc
timing
idle_rpm
displacement_cc
n_bank
n_cylinders
stroke_type
engine_id
version
valve
output_scale
phasenoise
ampnoise
flownoise_level
expipe_len
expipe_dia
exend_fc
exend_fb_lf
exend_fb_hf
exend_dia
ex_temp
ex_lpf_fc
ex_duct_r
ex_apf_g

AESWaveform

harmonics

AESMisc

aes_enable
blowoff_level
esgx_pitch_scale
esgx_volume
esgx_enable
aes_volume

AESTiming

c01_inext
c01_exext
c01_delay
c01_ca

-

c16_inext
c16_exext
c16_delay
c16_ca

AESValve

ex_valve_open_angle1

AESThrEvoAngleMap

thr_evo_angle_map
values
slot

Last edited:
Waveform is new. That's from the Subaru, isn't it? I thought the off throttle sound was more markedly different from before. They appear to be engineering workarounds for the lack of intake sound.

Interesting to know. One does wonder though if this system will be getting tweaked as we go on because currently its great but abit rough in some areas. I'd say if anything, it just needs mostly cleanup.

Interesting to know. One does wonder though if this system will be getting tweaked as we go on because currently its great but abit rough in some areas. I'd say if anything, it just needs mostly cleanup.
It's all done in code and using these compact (< 3kB) parameter-based presets with no pre-made assets, so they can be procedurally modified if required, or extra data added as needed as the model is expanded - it also means an update to add them for all cars would be quite small. The lack of intake is the precise cause of the roughness, and is something I've been struggling to explain for a while :D

I'd really like to hear the method without all that rasp. There's also the small issue of low precision DSP / physical modeling for performance reasons. :)

The sound update is off to a good start. Still needs changes though. But other than that, 1.14 is a good start.
Finally, somebody with rational thinking.
When sounds are brought up in GTPlanet it's a just a PD bashing fest. They're trying their best with the console memory they use

Finally, somebody with rational thinking.
When sounds are brought up in GTPlanet it's a just a PD bashing fest. They're trying their best with the console memory they use
I can see it being a PD bashing fest. Polyphony Digital can't just write a few scripts or point a mic at a car exhaust and say "Hey we got new car sounds guys check it out!". It takes some time. They have to use their console memory and equipment wisely. The way sound is modeled and created is key here.

Back