Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
I totally agree the human ear will always be able to pick up man made, and we will all never be totally fooled that we're not playing a game.

I think you're overestimating humans and underestimating technology. Maybe it will take a very long time until we get there, but I think it's ridiculous to think that we'll never get there. Unless civilization as we know it falls apart and we're sent a few hundred years back, technologically :P.

It just call it that because the cars that use this new system have a file structure associated with them that has a "AES"in the name that stands for Advanced Engine Sound. This AES structure is exclusive to these cars.

I've read this whole thread, I'm all up in it son. You even quoted me saying as such. Sounds are paramount to me.

I think you're overestimating humans and underestimating technology. Maybe it will take a very long time until we get there, but I think it's ridiculous to think that we'll never get there. Unless civilization as we know it falls apart and we're sent a few hundred years back, technologically :P.

Oh yeah, it will get there in the end, don't think Kaz will though (carcinogens). I put it in the same camp as CGI, however good 'currently' you can always tell, that's why Robert Zemeckis went back on his word. Yes it may very well take a long time, and the thing you said could happen, or a quantum computer falls to earth lol.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's hard to implement clutch-like gear change for DS3 users. Would make a big difference.

And a quote I found from 4 years 7 months ago

"I can confirm that only the premium models will have cockpit views, the 800 standard cars won't.

🤬 Sony, they're nuts. I was interested in buying a PS3 for this but I'd rather buy a decent wheel for my 360.

The worst thing about GT series is the sound, and they haven't improved in in this version. The collision sound is the worst, it sounds like hitting a plastic bin with a stick.

The engine sounds are poor also."

From here

http://www.giantbomb.com/gran-turis...-car-models-are-reworked-ps2-versions-425561/

I say damn ! :lol:

The worst thing about GT series is the sound, and they haven't improved in in this version. The collision sound is the worst, it sounds like hitting a plastic bin with a stick.
2 empty refrigerators colliding in mid air was the best comparison i heard so far :D, but now that i think of it the plastic bin one makes sense.

A simple option, that may be useful is:

!!!!Have 2 points of view: one for the camera and one for the sound!!!!.

I think that the sound from the "outside" camera is much more fun than "inside" (but I like to drive from inside camera).

A simple option, that may be useful is:

!!!!Have 2 points of view: one for the camera and one for the sound!!!!.

I think that the sound from the "outside" camera is much more fun than "inside" (but I like to drive from inside camera).
I think that's an option already.

My problem with the sound isn't even the sound itself (surely it is far from perfect)
but my problem is the PD logic behind their use for a car.

Best examples:
The Corvette C5R Race Car. Even if you don't have the possibility to record the car sound, you should at least know that a V8(!!!) powered Corvette C5R GT1 doesn't sound like a V6. Watch 1 Youtube-video and you know that you should use your standart V8 sound, PD!
The Camaro LM Racecar is promoted to be a V8 (in the description) why does it sound like a.. uhm don't even know what this sound replicates.

Also the Viper GTSR Race car always had some kind of a realistic sound. Now it has a badass V8 sound which should have been used for the Corvette Race car. Pd, you already have V10 Viper samples. Why don't you use them?

And don't let me start about the Panoz, BMW Z4 GT3 and the SLS GT3 car....

It's so frustrating, as I've heared every of these cars in reallife and know how amazing they sound. It's like PD is making a joke out of this cars and ridiculing us.

I'm a part of a modding team in rFactor and GTR2. It's funny that those private persons can recreate these cars sounds so realisticly just by youtube videos and stuff, while PD (a big company with big financial opportunities) don't even know how a Corvette C5R or a Panoz should sound like. They can't be serious that they really think that they have done a good job on the car sounds..

My problem with the sound isn't even the sound itself (surely it is far from perfect)
but my problem is the PD logic behind their use for a car.

Best examples:
The Corvette C5R Race Car. Even if you don't have the possibility to record the car sound, you should at least know that a V8(!!!) powered Corvette C5R GT1 doesn't sound like a V6. Watch 1 Youtube-video and you know that you should use your standart V8 sound, PD!
The Camaro LM Racecar is promoted to be a V8 (in the description) why does it sound like a.. uhm don't even know what this sound replicates.

Also the Viper GTSR Race car always had some kind of a realistic sound. Now it has a badass V8 sound which should have been used for the Corvette Race car. Pd, you already have V10 Viper samples. Why don't you use them?

And don't let me start about the Panoz, BMW Z4 GT3 and the SLS GT3 car....

It's so frustrating, as I've heared every of these cars in reallife and know how amazing they sound. It's like PD is making a joke out of this cars and ridiculing us.

I'm a part of a modding team in rFactor and GTR2. It's funny that those private persons can recreate these cars sounds so realisticly just by youtube videos and stuff, while PD (a big company with big financial opportunities) don't even know how a Corvette C5R or a Panoz should sound like. They can't be serious that they really think that they have done a good job on the car sounds..
I think they do know what they sound like but have prioritised elsewhere and sort of left the sound department to rot. That looks like it's changing though.

Back when GT4 came out I was a bit miffed at the sound quality because I had this big bad sound system but none of the cars really captured that emphasis of a big displacement engine. I speculated that it was missing a lot of the sound on the extreme low and high end (starting to go into the ranges we can't hear), like everything was run through an EQ with the mids turned way up, or everything almost sounding like it was recorded at 22050 hz.

It sounds severely over-processed in literally every single car.

In fact, in GT4 I seem to recall driving a GT40 on the Nurburgring, and when starting a race or something there is a camera view that shows the car starting the engine and driving out of the pit lane, and that sound was captured really well. But then the normal driving sound started and it sounded completely lame. No extreme low or high end to it, just tons of mid-EQ wankery.

I love the GT series but until a lot of these longstanding issues get fixed I don't see myself buying another one. The sound is absolutely crucial to visceral enjoyment of these games. Other racing games are just getting too good for PD or Sony to have any excuses at this stage.

I think a big reason for the bad sounds is that they focus on changing the sounds if the exhaust changes. A lot of cars sound find stock, but because PD tries to make the sounds different for each exhaust by auto-tuning the sounds (if even that), it makes them sound computerized. Like Kaz said (if I recall correctly), the sounds are too clean. Have one killer sample for each car and don't worry about changing the sound for each exhaust.

The problem with the V8s is obvious. There are two main types: cross plane and flat plane. The C5R is a cross plane, but most race V8s are flat plane.

"We need a race V8 sample set for this car, here's some..."

The new sound generation system requires firing order and exhaust configuration data to even function, so this problem will almost disappear.
I think a big reason for the bad sounds is that they focus on changing the sounds if the exhaust changes. A lot of cars sound find stock, but because PD tries to make the sounds different for each exhaust by auto-tuning the sounds (if even that), it makes them sound computerized. Like Kaz said (if I recall correctly), the sounds are too clean. Have one killer sample for each car and don't worry about changing the sound for each exhaust.
The delay in improved sounds this generation is entirely due to catering for that flexibility. That's what PD's new method of generating sounds is all about, but it's not being used that way yet.

As it stands, any variation on the same car is due to different recorded samples, no automated processing going on. Just the way it's always been.

I think it's about time car games tackled the issue head on and offered something new.

@Griffith500 if the cars still sound like crap in GT7 i will have a giggle:

99927-george-takei-laughing-gif-Imgu-gZmc.gif

Your reputation is on the line dear sir
teacher.gif

Why settle for one killer exhaust sound? This is why I kinda like GT6 because they actually change the exhaust note. Some times it's great sometime it sounds awful!! I rather them get the right samples then have one killer exhaust sound. I like that fact in GT6 I can hear the difference of a stock car and a tunned car. All PD needs to do is try to get better accurate samples. When PD gets the right sound with a specific car in GT6 it's pure magic! I have 7.1 though there is no comparing the sounds with my regular TV speakers. Anyone using their TV speakers I feel for you lol!

Except for the glaring omission of Int_parameters that does look rather promising. 👍
Except in the all-important "Timing" section, and the qualification of so many values as "ex" when it wouldn't be necessary in the absence of "in".

So it's there in the larger picture, just not ready / planned for PS3. :)

Interestingly, the Volkswagen Golf GTi Roadster Vision GT has been updated to use the same AES sound the new Supersport Vision GT uses. Seems to tell me that PD are actually capable of updating cars already in game to use the AES system.

Interestingly, the Volkswagen Golf GTi Roadster Vision GT has been updated to use the same AES sound the new Supersport Vision GT uses. Seems to tell me that PD are actually capable of updating cars already in game to use the AES system.
Good spot.

It's literally a matter of changing one number and then supplying the AES file itself (< 3 kb). So a full update for GT6 is perfectly feasible

However, it is very unlikely because the lack of certain sound sources in the current implementation will not do realistic AES settings any justice at all. Creating specially-adapted presets for each car (as all current AES presets are, because of the missing sources) is likely too much extra work, unless they can automate some kind of approximation.

Back