Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
Since the universal adoption of merging-type X-pipes, V8s don't really bellow like they used to - it's all artificially enhanced in the muffler design now. The typical sound now is closer to a mix of boxer-4 and parallel twin, to my ears, rather than cross-plane four, but it still has that distinctive 8-cylinder scream nestled in there that jogs our recollection, and potentially fools us...

Here's a great direct comparison of what I'm talking about. The Corvette is thunderous (totally separate twin exhausts, not quite equal length primaries), the GT350 embodies the typical unequal-primary-plus-X-pipe sound, the Monte Carlo is a screamer (equal, merged exhaust, i.e. 8-2-1, like the HSV-010) and the Camaro is somewhere in-between the GT350 and Monte Carlo. :)

It depends on the gearbox, a lot of them (that I've heard) have constant gear tooth pitch (e.g. teeth per inch, or whatever weird measure they actually use) across all gears. That means that, regardless of what gear you're in, at a given road speed all gears whine at the same (tone) pitch. So the only thing controlling the gear sound is the road speed and the physical design of the gears, which dictates the rate at which teeth mesh and un-mesh.

Some gearboxes mix up the tooth pitches across the clusters, and you can get some interesting effects there. It'd be cool to model that, but that requires a lot of extraneous detail to be collected when most keep it constant. Obviously, it's relatively pointless to do it if the gears can't actually be heard, e.g. helical cut gears on a loud racer aren't really going to make their presence known.

It can't be that hard to do.. other racers have done it.

Never said it was hard to do. I've done it myself, so that disproves that right away! :P

"but that requires a lot of extraneous detail to be collected when most keep it constant"

We just want realistic gear sounds which isn't hard to do.. so why don't they just do it.

"but that requires a lot of extraneous detail to be collected when most keep it constant"

We just want realistic gear sounds which isn't hard to do.. so why don't they just do it.
I mean for the purposes of making sure the relative gear-whine pitch in each gear is correct for those gearboxes that do use different gear tooth pitches in different gear clusters. I've only heard a few of those though (where the gear whine pitch changes to something different when the gear is changed)

Most games just use a generic (set of) sample(s), GT included, but the way its pitch is scaled in the game is correct for gearboxes that have the same gear-tooth pitch in every gear, which is the vast majority of racing gearboxes I've ever heard. Those have the characteristic, constantly climbing pitch the faster you go, but the pitch carries on from where it left off when you do change gear - because it's only linked to road speed.

The linear speed (and so the rate that gear teeth mesh at, given a constant gear tooth pitch in all gears) at the effective meshing radius of the gears is the same as the road speed in all gears!

If you want "wobble" and chatter, you need a better driveline simulation; ignore those canned effects most games use. :P

Yawn - you are
I mean for the purposes of making sure the relative gear-whine pitch in each gear is correct for those gearboxes that do use different gear tooth pitches in different gear clusters. I've only heard a few of those though (where the gear whine pitch changes to something different when the gear is changed)

Most games just use a generic (set of) sample(s), GT included, but the way its pitch is scaled in the game is correct for gearboxes that have the same gear-tooth pitch in every gear, which is the vast majority of racing gearboxes I've ever heard. Those have the characteristic, constantly climbing pitch the faster you go, but the pitch carries on from where it left off when you do change gear - because it's only linked to road speed.

The linear speed (and so the rate that gear teeth mesh at, given a constant gear tooth pitch in all gears) at the effective meshing radius of the gears is the same as the road speed in all gears!

If you want "wobble" and chatter, you need a better driveline simulation; ignore those canned effects most games use. :P

Yawn - you are over complicating the issue. The gear noise rises in tone and pitch as the speed rises.

Yawn - you are

Yawn - you are over complicating the issue. The gear noise rises in tone and pitch as the speed rises.
But that's exactly how it's represented in GT5, so what's the issue? Or is this some sub-conscious / sly revisionism?

Forgive my attempting to rationalise that GT had it right, despite your claims that it was wrong - although now you say it's right, so... It just seems you've only confused yourself without my "help"! :dunce:

But that's exactly how it's represented in GT5, so what's the issue? Or is this some sub-conscious / sly revisionism?

Forgive my attempting to rationalise that GT had it right, despite your claims that it was wrong - although now you say it's right, so... It just seems you've only confused yourself without my "help"! :dunce:

I think Magic Ayrton was just trying to get to the bottom of your point. :)
I must admit, I'm eager now to hear what some of the new premiums sound like. I'm just praying that the McLaren F1 GTR and Sauber C9 sound at least vaguely like they should...

I think Magic Ayrton was just trying to get to the bottom of your point. :)
I must admit, I'm eager now to hear what some of the new premiums sound like. I'm just praying that the McLaren F1 GTR and Sauber C9 sound at least vaguely like they should...
He was trying to get to the bottom of "my point" by being arrogantly dismissive? Interesting tactic. Let's try it:
I have a major gripe with the race transmission sound too.. it stays the same in each gear.. if you listen to a real racing car the whine gets faster and higher pitched the higher the gear.. it does not stay the same in every gear like in GT5 and also GT6 Academy demo! This is very aggrevating.. just another slip by PD.
Yawn - your brain has no clue what your ears are telling it. GT5's gear whine pitching is correct. Just another argument from ignorance.

Now I know the best way to get people to co-operate on elucidating their "point" further, thanks. 👍

P.S. I'd be happy if they sex up the F1 GTR a bit. Four droning 3-cylinder tones don't do it for me, although that intake is glorious (but GT games don't have intake.)

Oh, crap, I'm over-complicating things again, aren't I? Silly me! I mean, yeah, I really hope they make it like I like it. :dopey:

He was trying to get to the bottom of "my point" by being arrogantly dismissive? Interesting tactic. Let's try it:

Yawn - your brain has no clue what your ears are telling it. GT5's gear whine pitching is correct. Just another argument from ignorance.

Now I know the best way to get people to co-operate on elucidating their "point" further, thanks. 👍

P.S. I'd be happy if they sex up the F1 GTR a bit. Four droning 3-cylinder tones don't do it for me, although that intake is glorious (but GT games don't have intake.)

Oh, crap, I'm over-complicating things again, aren't I? Silly me! I mean, yeah, I really hope they make it like I like it. :dopey:

Nobody likes a smart alec! After all, I'm "just" an automotive engineer :P

At this point I have to ask; have you ever heard a McLaren F1 GTR?
The sound is dominated by the exhaust.
The intake on a GTR is merely a background noise.

skip to 4:00

The road car on the other hand...

Both are pathetically far off in GT5, and will probably remain so for GT6.
The road car sounding like a low compression V6, and the GTR like a 30's Bugatti straight 8.

Thanks for sharing Vegard - both lovely sounds (apart from the squealer in the second clip). The racing F1 GTR's were fitted with intake restrictors.

Earlier in this thread some people suggested being able to choose from a range of sounds - I would be happy with that as it would enable us to pair the best V8 or V12 etc sounds with appropriate cars. The sounds are a big disappointment in GT5 particularly to a tactile transducer enthusiast like myself because they are so variable in low frequency content. I would like to be able to pick the Audi R8 V8 sound when I drive a V8 as I know that makes my bass shakers rumble the most. Some of the V8 sounds produce no rumble at all.

Thanks for sharing Vegard - both lovely sounds (apart from the squealer in the second clip). The racing F1 GTR's were fitted with intake restrictors.

Earlier in this thread some people suggested being able to choose from a range of sounds - I would be happy with that as it would enable us to pair the best V8 or V12 etc sounds with appropriate cars. The sounds are a big disappointment in GT5 particularly to a tactile transducer enthusiast like myself because they are so variable in low frequency content. I would like to be able to pick the Audi R8 V8 sound when I drive a V8 as I know that makes my bass shakers rumble the most. Some of the V8 sounds produce no rumble at all.

I recall the stock R8 V8 soundsample was horrible, way to high pitched. The Merc AMGs got the most "bass", i think.

The thing is GT4 sounded amazing with proper speakers, the PS2 has a digital out port.. cars like the Skyline GTR are so realistic, I've been playing GT4 today.. what happened? GT5 has rubbish turbo sounds, rubbish gear change sounds, rubbish tyre noise and rubbish intake sounds, it even has rubbish exhaust sounds.

Nobody likes a smart alec! After all, I'm "just" an automotive engineer :P
Well you said something that was objectively wrong, and rather than simply state "you're wrong", I tried to add a little explanation and give you the benefit of the doubt. Even if you already know what I described (despite being wrong about it), there's a small possibility it might interest someone else.

If that's being a smart alec, frankly that's your problem, engineer or otherwise.

At this point I have to ask; have you ever heard a McLaren F1 GTR?
The sound is dominated by the exhaust.
The intake on a GTR is merely a background noise.

skip to 4:00
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC74l1g8qo8

The road car on the other hand...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsvCoeSGxcA

Both are pathetically far off in GT5, and will probably remain so for GT6.
The road car sounding like a low compression V6, and the GTR like a 30's Bugatti straight 8.

I heard one at Goodwood once. The exhaust is indeed considerably louder than anything else; and the drone I'm talking about (like a chorused M3) comes from the exhausts.

The intake will be audible on the interior even on the race car, but you can't necessarily trust recordings, because you don't know where they put the microphones. That said, I can hear plenty of intake grunt in that video on my headphones; that intake "grunt" modulates the exhaust sound into something less "clean" than the exterior shots showed, and that latter effect will be audible with practically all speakers.

The intake should sound exactly like it does in the road car (the intake on the road car is practically a racing type, which is why it sounds so good!), texturally speaking, except perhaps more crisp and "metallic" because of the restrictors. It certainly is much quieter than the exhaust (probably just because of the 12-4 grouping in the exhaust vs. 12-2-1 on the intake, where the latter is inherently quieter). It'll also be audible outside, but it'll "meld" into the overall sound somewhat (it's audible at 3:40), just as with the interior. :)

That flat-plane V8 powered Can-Am thing that's leading the pack near the start has plenty of intake noise, but that's got 8-2 on the exhaust and 8-8 on the intake...

Of course they'll sound wrong in GT6, we already know that. We need more info on these supposed improvements that will come at some point. 👍

I'm hearing alot of sound improvements.

I like the sound of the engine overall sounds like a 4 cylinder with some punch.

PD microphone in engine engine seems to have dissapeared aswell.

I like how in first gear when the car sets off, the RPM drops just a bit then get up to speed still in first gear, instead of GT5, they would hang on the red line..which sounded really weird then shift to 2nd and it sounded awful.

And i like the shifting sounds, much better then GT5.

Overall i like it, much better then GT5.

Last edited:
It sounds mostly like they've worked on the mixing.

The overall sound scheme is still the same, and the "shifts" (by which I presume you mean the throttle blips) already sounded like that, it's just the mix didn't show them off as much in GT5.

The tyre sounds are different, with some nice subtle variation in the low-slip range as we suspected from other videos, although I'm not sure if I prefer the full-bore skid sounds just yet.

It sounds mostly like they've worked on the mixing.

The overall sound scheme is still the same, and the "shifts" (by which I presume you mean the throttle blips) already sounded like that, it's just the mix didn't show them off as much in GT5.

The tyre sounds are different, with some nice subtle variation in the low-slip range as we suspected from other videos, although I'm not sure if I prefer the full-bore skid sounds just yet.
So basically, instead of staying the same, or getting worse, they are actually showing improvement. Because i just took a megane out in GT5, and after hearing the GT6 Clio go around Brands, the GT5 megane sounds even more awful then it already did.

Any improvement is good in my book. And that was alot of improvement it also looked fun.

Last edited:
As @Griffith500 said...the mix changed but the sounds are basically the same. Tyre noise I think is a bit better/less monotone than before...so that is a little plus.

I´ll be getting the game for sure and at this point I will let the sounds pass...not for GT7 in the PS4 though.

The little improvement is somehow appreciated from sounds whores like me...at least they know where the problem is.

Real tyre noises from a Scion FR-S to compare, and engine sounds... :)
Jump to 2:25 onwards

And the downshift throttle blips - that's how GT6 needs to do it! At least for manual gearbox cars. The revs should drop after each blip and gear change - it's too abrupt in GT6

Last edited:
So basically, instead of staying the same, or getting worse, they are actually showing improvement. Because i just took a megane out in GT5, and after hearing the GT6 Clio go around Brands, the GT5 megane sounds even more awful then it already did.

Any improvement is good in my book. And that was alot of improvement it also looked fun.

That's a fair point, I've not actually compared it directly to GT5 - I'm going by my memory only, which probably shouldn't be advisable in my case. :P

I'll agree, any improvement is welcome. I'm just conscious that what's in the game at launch is not what PD has been toiling away on. I really hope we catch a whisper of that soon.

I found the Clio sound not bad considering it's GT and the car is probably unmodified. I found this pretty disappointing...sounds like a Gallardo pitched a little differently...

The Pagani should want to rip your face off. Instead it sounds like it wants to take your Mom to Church and buy her flowers on the way:tdown:

I think both the Huayra and the Clio (no intake!) are just more of the same thing we're already used to. That's no surprise at this point since we knew that we weren't getting improvements yet. But it is frustrating that they can't make better use of the samples they do have available.

I recall the stock R8 V8 soundsample was horrible, way to high pitched. The Merc AMGs got the most "bass", i think.

To clarify, the Merc V8 and Audi V8 sounds both give good results with my tactile transducers. The Aura Pro bass shakers have a resonant frequency of 38 Hz so presumably the GT5 samples have a strong signal at or around that frequency.

If we had the option to choose from a range of sounds it would enable tactile enthusiasts like myself to get some rumble - unfortunately there is very little with a lot of the cars in GT5 even with cars where you would expect plenty.

It would also be good if PD could give us an enhanced 5.1 menu so we could ramp up the level individually - for instance the engine sound is primarily carried by the front centre channel - I would like to be able to raise the volume of this channel relative to the other channels.

Back