Global Rallycross Championship

Round 4 of 10 of the 2014 Global Rallycross Championship will be in New York City on July 20. I read from the GRC website that the venue will be some of the roads around the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum- home of the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League. The exact city then would be Uniondale, NY. It's great for a series to have motorsports action in the greater New York City area. You AMA Supercross fans may remember the time the series raced at Metlife Stadium in Meadowlands, New Jersey.

After this race in New York City, this reels off a stretch of consecutive weekends with races. The GRC will move onto Charlotte, North Carolina the week after the NYC race; and then they'll rock Detroit with these wicked 600hp rallycross cars the week after Charlotte.

I'd say this can be a pretty crucial stretch considering the NYC round kicks off three straight weeks of GRC action. We'll just have to wait until the July 20 weekend for the action to resume.

I have seen glimpses of this so far, and what I've seen looks great, but would someone tell me why guys were using 5+ year old Imprezas at the X-Games, and where the Dart went, and why I'm pages behind?

Last one is easy, no TV.

Dodge pulled out. (shocking)

They start off with all these great ideas then start bailing when it isn't an instant hit. The Dart program was iffy as best but could have been well going into this year I think, they pulled out of Nascar and short course and then if I recall were iffy on their Viper sports car program.

Actually in the case of the short course program (RAM trucks/Mopar to be specific) Chrysler as a whole chickened out even though they were doing really well. Shame as it cost us an RC partnership with Traxxas:banghead::banghead: same I guess happened with rallycross. However given how terrible Hyundai is running, they could've had a shot against VW, Ford and Subaru this year.

They start off with all these great ideas then start bailing when it isn't an instant hit. The Dart program was iffy as best but could have been well going into this year I think, they pulled out of Nascar and short course and then if I recall were iffy on their Viper sports car program.

They recently appear to have taken the reigns on the Viper Program, with the cars now Badged as "Dodge" instead of SRT.

What I really can't figure out is how Subaru is always a tad off either they aren't as fast, or they always have some parts break. It's almost as if they can build the rally side very well but the RX side is always at a loss.

1. it seems Ford has a head start on everybody...except VW this year
2. Subaru does infinitely more stage rallying than rallycross unlike VW for example (Ford is kinda 50/50 more or less.)
3. The Subaru team is US only. Ford and VW both maintain teams in World RX and GRC. Both of the above manufacturers are doing really well this year both in Europe and USA, and the development shows, as Every winner so far has been from either manufacturer. Subaru, (and to some extent Hyundai but they have their own problems) lack the development because they don't have a worldwide RX presence. Zero factory or privateer Subarus are raced in World RX and this lack of world development is contributing to a consistent "Close enough" performance.

Problem with Hyundai is simple: Rhys Millen is literally the only one running the car. VW and Ford have massive amounts of teams running their cars (though in the US, Ford is abit more stacked).

Tomorrow, Global Rally Cross will be on NBC Sports Network at 2:00 PM EDT. I'm assuming what will be shown will be the latest round of the championship at Washington, D.C. I mentioned this begins a stretch of about three straight rounds of the championship across this three-week stretch. It basically seems like this is the real meat of the 2014 schedule.

I'm hopeful this will actually be shown. I just basically visited NBCSN's website and learned this round of the GRC will be televised on the schedule.

D.C. round was shown on NBC. Tomorrow's coverage is suppose to be live.

Don't want to double post, so I'll just edit.

Here's the seeding for GRC.

Bs7sVFCCIAEidQk.jpg:large

Last edited:
The New York City coverage shown on NBC earlier today was pretty cool. Nothing in the way of outright insanity or anything, but there was some pretty good racing along with some sheer domination. Not spoling the race by sharing the winner. All I can say is that I'm proud for the winner of GRC Rallycross NYC to get his first win of the season.

Next weekend should be coverage of the round at Charlotte.

Scott Speed's 2nd place was DQ'd on a technicality from the red flag in the final.

I don't even know what that's suppose to be....

Heads up! In case you missed it, NBC Sports Network is showing the Volkswagen Rallycross NY event right now. The Charlotte round is coming up this weekend.

Have about 55 minutes of time to spare? Look what I found:

I think it's great (and very different) to use a proper off-road track for rallycross. I actually wish the series would race on more proper off-road tracks than mostly utilize tarmac courses or tarmac courses with dirt sections. Enjoy this one with the Charlotte round! You're welcome.

I agree, Charlotte has been by far the best track they have raced on but being in person helps (atleast it wasn't a parking lot which makes me laugh). The worst part of Charlotte was clearly the dust but I was always right outside Piquet's pit all weekend.

Jeez 25% of the field up there tried their hand at Nascar...

Its only three drivers (Speed, Piquet and Arpin), I don't see what the big deal is.

Wow, after watching the Canada World RX, two things are apparent.
1. GRC NEEDS a Canadian round or two
2. Sverre needs to take that Subaru to world RX more, it actually looks good out there

1. GRC NEEDS a Canadian round or two

I agree, however why do you say that? Because of the large crowd at Trois-Rivieres?
They were not there specifically for rallycross... That event is a huge event that has massive crowds every year for a very long time. I went from 2009-2012, the main attraction there is the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. Really great event, wish i could have made it there this year. I'll have to download and check out the Trois Rivieres RX race later. I think GRC would probably do better with a Quebec race than most of the events they have now though. I have been to a lot of races in QC, they are hardcore race fans.

I agree, however why do you say that? Because of the large crowd at Trois-Rivieres?
They were not there specifically for rallycross... That event is a huge event that has massive crowds every year for a very long time. I went from 2009-2012, the main attraction there is the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. Really great event, wish i could have made it there this year. I'll have to download and check out the Trois Rivieres RX race later. I think GRC would probably do better with a Quebec race than most of the events they have now though. I have been to a lot of races in QC, they are hardcore race fans.
Funny you should mention NASCAR, perhaps RBGRC Canada could team up with the Camping World truck series race at Mosport. But if it has to be a Quebec event, then why not a Double event with WorldRX at Trois Rivieres, kinda like what TUSCC and WEC are doing at COTA. This could mean more crossover entries in both series and potentially higher car counts in the GRC race. Otherwise, where else could it be?

Funny you should mention NASCAR, perhaps RBGRC Canada could team up with the Camping World truck series race at Mosport. But if it has to be a Quebec event, then why not a Double event with WorldRX at Trois Rivieres, kinda like what TUSCC and WEC are doing at COTA. This could mean more crossover entries in both series and potentially higher car counts in the GRC race. Otherwise, where else could it be?

That would be great for fans, but do the series view each other as competition? Might not wanna run together during the same weekend. No idea.
As far as race tracks in Canada that arent very small ovals, there is Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Circuit ICAR (former airport, now full time road course/airport circuit). And the only 2 current street circuits that I know of are Trois Rivieres and Toronto Indy. Not many great options for tracks up there. Although GRC seems big on doing the temporary parking lot circuits (DC, NY, etc...) now so they could do the race anywhere really. Since it is a "Global" series, seems like Canada would be a sure thing for them.

Back