Global Rallycross Championship

That would be great for fans, but do the series view each other as competition? Might not wanna run together during the same weekend. No idea.
As far as race tracks in Canada that arent very small ovals, there is Mosport, Mont Tremblant, Circuit ICAR (former airport, now full time road course/airport circuit). And the only 2 current street circuits that I know of are Trois Rivieres and Toronto Indy. Not many great options for tracks up there. Although GRC seems big on doing the temporary parking lot circuits (DC, NY, etc...) now so they could do the race anywhere really. Since it is a "Global" series, seems like Canada would be a sure thing for them.
Not sure about inter-series relations. On one hand, both series have the same rules as far as the cars go (number-on-roof rule in GRC notwithstanding), both are on the upswing, and are big on social media as well as promoting rallycross as a sport. On the other hand, GRC is the reason why World RX can't have much of an American presence and World RX is the reason why GRC can't do many "international" events outside the Carribbean and maybe Canada. As for the track location, I think it will be the airport one, Mosport, or maybe another parking lot event like NY and DC. I'd prefer the former two as it will mean more creative tracks and higher speeds

Not sure about inter-series relations. On one hand, both series have the same rules as far as the cars go (number-on-roof rule in GRC notwithstanding), both are on the upswing, and are big on social media as well as promoting rallycross as a sport. On the other hand, GRC is the reason why World RX can't have much of an American presence and World RX is the reason why GRC can't do many "international" events outside the Carribbean and maybe Canada. As for the track location, I think it will be the airport one, Mosport, or maybe another parking lot event like NY and DC. I'd prefer the former two as it will mean more creative tracks and higher speeds

The only 2 GRC races that I have been to were DC and NY and I thought they were great. Could see the whole track no problem, fun events. The crowds... I think almost everyone at those had free tickets tbh... Would like to see more of the parking lot circuits like that. I'm sure there are some great places they could do that in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal... The sight lines at places like Mosport and Trois Rivieres are pretty bad, so I personally would prefer the temporary courses that GRC has been coming up with.

The only 2 GRC races that I have been to were DC and NY and I thought they were great. Could see the whole track no problem, fun events. The crowds... I think almost everyone at those had free tickets tbh... Would like to see more of the parking lot circuits like that. I'm sure there are some great places they could do that in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal... The sight lines at places like Mosport and Trois Rivieres are pretty bad, so I personally would prefer the temporary courses that GRC has been coming up with.

Free tickets for everyone almost isn't a good sign, granted I had free tickets and VIP passes to Charlotte via Piquet. The problem with some parking lot courses is just that, they offer no real value to the series if you ask me. Redbull has put alot of money and drawing major sponsors but yet the best they have to offer is a semi ok parking lot for a venue, kind of turns me off in the long run.

If you look at GRC vs World RX, there is a huge difference in track types and I think that's another reason why we see RX so much bigger over seas than in the US. The best course I think in the last 2 years is probably Charlotte but that's a personal opinion. They are starting to get away from that first turn bunch up that causes big problems which is a good thing!

If you look at GRC vs World RX, there is a huge difference in track types and I think that's another reason why we see RX so much bigger over seas than in the US.

I think the reason it is bigger overseas is because it is a long time established form of motorsports there. It's very new here and nobody has heard of it...

Enjoy the Daytona round this weekend, GRC fans! I think the TV coverage will be on NBC tomorrow at about 2:30 PM EDT. Set me straight (or "fix") me if I'm wrong on anything.

NBC Sports Network shown highlights during the early morning hours of the Daytona round of the 2014 Global Rallycross Championship. The track itself seemed pretty imposing. It seemed to mostly utilize some of the first few corners of the Daytona road course. It doesn't use the physical oval portion at all. A lot of the racers and teams complained of the heat in Florida for this event. For fear of spoiling the event, I won't mention the winner of GRC Daytona.

Up next for the 2014 GRC is a doubleheader weekend in Los Angeles on September 20 and 21.

This weekend is the doubleheader round in Los Angeles. There is a chance to either better your championship position... or fade away at a crucial point of the championship. We will have to see who gets out of this weekend with championship hopes still intact.

1. Basically. Bet the Hansens are kicking themselves for switching to Peugeot.
2. With the way Solberg's been running, Why he hasn't teamed up with a manufacturer (Citroen maybe?) is beyond me.
3. VW lost the GRC manufacturers championship to Ford (no surprises) guess its time to ramp it up, Andretti. Also, GM better get serious with this since they have a good car, and TWO potent teams. The fact that Hyundai runs better than them is infuriating.

1. Basically. Bet the Hansens are kicking themselves for switching to Peugeot.
What I've been thinking all season. The 208 just doesn't seem to be a strong Supercar. I wonder if Albatec will consider a switch next season?

Albatec should nail down a good lineup first before changing up chassis. Then they should hit up Solberg (or Citroen in general if you know what I mean) and get themselves some of that

Now that the action from Los Angeles is done, here's a little overview of what happened in Los Angeles for rounds 7 and 8 of the 2014 championship (sorry if spoiled)...

* Scott Speed won the first race of the Los Angeles doubleheader.
* "Mad Skills" Rhys Millen won the second race of the Los Angeles doubleheader.
* Ford clinched the Manufacturer's Title for the fourth successive season.

The course raced on in Los Angeles was a course built around a small part of the Port of Los Angeles. A few lovely views of hills and houses were in the distance. The course looked pretty imposing. It had a rather long Joker section, though.

More results and info: http://www.motorsport.com/rallycros...ent-winners-at-the-port-of-los-angeles-456783

Round 9 of 10 is this weekend in Seattle.

Petter Solberg is the first man ever to win two different FIA world championships (WRC-2003 and WRX-2014) according to World Rallycross on twitter.

Timmy Hansen won the race in his Peugeot.

btw a World RX thread would be nice so the two series' don't get mixed up.

I actually held off my commentary until seeing all of the event. This course at the Dirtfish Rally School in Snoqualmie, Washington is incredible! It is a proper off-road course with that sort of tunnel offering a Monaco Grand Prix-style tunnel romp on tarmac. Very unique course. It looks like you could get a serious time advantage taking that Joker. You get more of a time and distance advantage with the Joker on this course than almost any other on the schedule. This is a cool course!

I saw maybe the second half of the Final Race. Results and such from GRC Seattle can be looked up on http://www.redbullglobalrallycross.com .

The finale of the 2014 championship is on November 5 in Las Vegas.

Yeah, renaming this one would work just as well.
I for one agree. We can also update it with info during the off season such as driver/team/manufacturer changes as well as track both series. Mods, please change the name to the GTPlanet Rallycross Thread :cheers::gtplanet::gtpflag:

I actually held off my commentary until seeing all of the event. This course at the Dirtfish Rally School in Snoqualmie, Washington is incredible! It is a proper off-road course with that sort of tunnel offering a Monaco Grand Prix-style tunnel romp on tarmac. Very unique course. It looks like you could get a serious time advantage taking that Joker. You get more of a time and distance advantage with the Joker on this course than almost any other on the schedule. This is a cool course!

I saw maybe the second half of the Final Race. Results and such from GRC Seattle can be looked up on http://www.redbullglobalrallycross.com .

The finale of the 2014 championship is on November 5 in Las Vegas.
I really like this track too. Reminds me a lot of the tracks run on the World RX circuit (ps both series should host a round there:D) Vegas is going to be interesting as its basically a 4-way fight between Wiman, Block, Speed and Piquet. Add to that the fact that there may be extra entries for the event and this race looks VERY interesting. Bring on Vegas!

Add to that the fact that there may be extra entries for the event and this race looks VERY interesting. Bring on Vegas!

I like that the race is just over a month away and they still have announced almost no details of it... Just that its Nov 5. I'm thinking about going to that, would be nice to have all of the details so i can plan hotel and airfare better... The Stadium Super Trucks also have a Vegas race scheduled for Nov7 (also with no details of the event announced yet...). All of the Rallycross races this year have been 2 day shows, so is vegas gonna be Nov 4/5 or just a 1 day.. And both of these series have cancelled events shortly before they are scheduled to happen.... :grumpy:

Last edited:
I like that the race is just over a month away and they still have announced almost no details of it... Just that its Nov 5. I'm thinking about going to that, would be nice to have all of the details so i can plan hotel and airfare better... The Stadium Super Trucks also have a Vegas race scheduled for Nov7 (also with no details of the event announced yet...). All of the Rallycross races this year have been 2 day shows, so is vegas gonna be Nov 4/5 or just a 1 day.. And both of these series have cancelled events shortly before they are scheduled to happen.... :grumpy:

To shed some light on the SST; they cancelled events because they were spending more than they were making, now they have a proper setup with being teamed with Indycar that the other events are just more or less fun for them.

As far as Vegas; I would assume Friday (day 1) will be practice, qualifying and few heat races and Saturday (day 2) will be semi finals, LCQ and finals along with same for GRC Lites.

As far as Vegas; I would assume Friday (day 1) will be practice, qualifying and few heat races and Saturday (day 2) will be semi finals, LCQ and finals along with same for GRC Lites.

Well, Nov 5 is a Wednesday, but I assume it will be like a normal weekend (Practice, Qualify, and some heats on Day 1, Heats, LCQ and Final on Day 2). The schedule was identical for both of the races I went to (DC and NY) and I figure it will be like that for Vegas. I was planning on going to Detroit before as well, which they cancelled shortly before it was scheduled to take place. I feel pretty confident its gonna happen, but it would be nice to have some confirmation of venues and schedules before putting money down on airfare and hotels, considering it is only about 1 month away.

With the way Solberg's been running, Why he hasn't teamed up with a manufacturer (Citroen maybe?) is beyond me.
Apparently, he IS looking for a manufacturer partner.http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/109223-solberg-seeking-rx-manufacturer-deal
A. Citroen needs to seal the deal with him. He can make that DS3 WORK. Also, title sponsor.
B. Since Subaru has no plans of taking Isachsen and/or Lasek abroad, and Petter has a good relationship with them, they need to reunite with Petter and Co. and go after the World RX manufacturer title. Heck, they might be virtually unstoppable with Petter at the wheel

2. With the way Solberg's been running, Why he hasn't teamed up with a manufacturer (Citroen maybe?) is beyond me.
Because he was only running in the WRX until such time as he could secure a return to the WRC. But by the end of his time in the WRC, he was fairly horrible, so his return was an open-ended question, and no manufacturer was going to commit to that.

Also, Citroën have a horrible customer support programme. They tend to dedicate resources to their works projects, like the DS3 WRC and C-Elysse WTCC, and neglect their customers. There's a reason why Ford and M-Sport enter 95% of private Fiesta RS WRCs - nobody else offers support.

To shed some light on the SST; they cancelled events because they were spending more than they were making, now they have a proper setup with being teamed with Indycar that the other events are just more or less fun for them.

Checked the SST website, they have not put out a press release, but they have updated their schedule page. Now says their race will be at the MGM Grand Entertainment Center, and the date has been changed from Friday Nov 7 to Wed Nov 5. The exact same day as the Global Rallycross race in Las Vegas. Brilliant move there... 2 Series that are both new, trying to grab an audience, going for the same demographic, and they move their race to the same mid week date as the other series in the same city. Well, i'm probably still planning on going, but they have made it an easy choice, GRC is much better. Too bad , was looking forward to checking out SST.

Back