Gordon Murray to make a true successor to the F1

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by RocZX, Mar 5, 2019.

1. RocZX

RocZX Premium

Road &Track

2. VXR

VXR

I'll believe it when I see it, as with most Murray ideas.

But, I want to believe!

3. kikie

kikie Premium

Believe it, the truth is out there!

Yeah right!

Affordable for whom?

lancia delta hf and Latvija27 like this.
  4. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

JoueurGT and PSN:And-War like this.
  5. Famine

Famine Administrator

Here, have an sketch:

Iconic designs by Gordon Murray.jpg

Nexus, JoueurGT, Rotorist and 7 others like this.
  6. MaxAttack

MaxAttack

Thread move binned my post :(

Reading things like NA V12 and 12k revs makes me salivate.

Anyone got 2 million spare for a chap who wants to die on an alpine road?

7. kikie

kikie Premium

Sounds interesting. Time to win the lottery/Euromillions.

8. Fredzy

Fredzy

This makes me have a lot of thoughts. Does Britain do April fools in June? This is like the car version of fan-fiction. Manual trans? Then I remember the kind of guy Gordon Murray is, and it's like, OK yeah. God bless him, I wish him all the luck in the world in actually getting these built.

Wolfe, VXR and Snikle like this.
  9. lbpomg95

lbpomg95

So much yes.

Less than a tonne in weight
    Rear wheel drive
    V12
    Naturally aspirated
    12,000rpm
    Manual freaking gearbox?!

So I'm kind of in disbelief.

Nexus, Wolfe, VXR and 1 other person like this.
  10. Latvija27

Latvija27

I will believe it when I see it, Is it legal to have a fan on the back of road car?

11. Famine

Famine Administrator

In the UK it's legal to drive a sofa as long as it has the right lights and isn't made from rust and razor blades.

12. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Why would it not be? Cars have had fans on the front forever.

13. MaxAttack

MaxAttack

don't see why it would be, if it's fully enclosed in the bodywork as it appears to be... I mean, spinner rims are technically legal, right?

14. G.T.Ace

G.T.Ace

Meh, sick of super-/hypercars for the road. Race it in competition!

15. ferhound

ferhound

Looks like a McLaren F1 FXX.

16. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

Oh Gordon. Can lighting strike twice?

Rotorist likes this.
  17. Michelin Man

Michelin Man

A Gordon Murray designed super car, would be one I certainly take notice of, especially with a man of Murray's CV. Will be intriguing to see how this goes.

VXR and Latvija27 like this.
  18. Danoff

Danoff Premium

I get the idea behind the central seating position, but the three-seater is just such an odd cumbersome design. I don't feel like the central seating could possibly be worth it. Maybe if the central seat were on some kind of side-ways moving track that would enable you to sit in it more easily and then slide over into position (without leaving a track in front of the seat behind of course). Or maybe if it just rotated one direction (where there was not a 3rd seat) instead of the other direction (where there was a seat slightly behind) you could step out of it sideways.

I dunno, it's an admirable goal I guess, but I can't see a clean way to do it. Maybe coming in through the roof or something.

[​IMG]

19. LOonIE

LOonIE

I would buy it if I had the funds. It could be the last super car with an H pattern shifter. Love the F1, love the concept.

20. AudiMan2011

AudiMan2011 Contributing Writer

The figures all sound very ambitious, especially the proposed sub-1000kg weight. The engine almost sounds like a work of fiction. The main interesting thing about it is the fan technology.

Sounds exciting, but my skepticism says there's a whiff of fantasy vaporware about it.

Latvija27 likes this.
  21. Fredzy

Fredzy

I think the 911 R showed that for the right supercars, manual still makes sense to a lot of people (who can also actually afford it.)

I think dialing in this gnarly engine to easily to drive it smoothly with MT would be a big challenge. At least torque would be on the lower side, which could help reduce the frequency of those heart attack moments that the original F1 is sort of famous for.

22. 05XR8

05XR8

I've read it twice. Will this be available globally, as is, or will buyers outside the UK have to add 2.5mph bumpers?

Why is this concept, that is well along, questionable? A GT-R does surprising things at nearly twice the weight. This car has similar hp and far less weight, supposedly way better aero, most likely better tyre technology, 20+yo advanced everything else. The main question to asked is: Will it hold together in a prang, if another driver makes a right turn, from the left hand lane?:sly:

Latvija27 likes this.
  23. Vinylshark

Vinylshark

I really want that concept sketch as a poster for my wall.

Latvija27 likes this.
  24. Famine

Famine Administrator

The big version is 2000x1414 at 150ppi, if that's of any use?

JoueurGT and Vinylshark like this.
  25. VXR

VXR

If the F1 could weigh 1100 something kilos in 1993, I've no doubt it could be sub-tonne now with over 25 extra years of composite development.

Griffith500 likes this.
  26. Robin

Robin Premium

Best bit for me was that it will be NA, becoming quite a rare in super car land these days.

Latvija27, 05XR8 and VXR like this.
  27. Rotorist

Rotorist

I very much like and admire Murray's creations either for racecars or for roadcars. A true genious of his era imho. McLaren F1 especially is the most advanced car made compared to its year of construction for me.

28. TomBrady

TomBrady

This car will be the best if he meets all those targets. I thought the McLaren Senna was a great successor to the F1, though it's missing the center driving position, and manual gearbox it still has the ultra light weight that was the best part of the F1 but the T.50 obviously takes the word successor quite literally.

This reminds me once again of how disappointing the Speedtail is. Frankly it's almost nothing like the F1 other than the driving position.

29. LeGeNd-1

LeGeNd-1 Premium

I like the fact that it's not going the route of more and more power like all other super/hypercars. Lightweighting is the way to go :tup: Really excited about the fan system, ever since the Red Bull X1 I've been wanting to see something similar in a road car. About the only thing I'd change is the manual gearbox. I'm all for a pure driving experience but I think that will stick out like a sore thumb in comparison to all the other tech and performance in the car.

The Formula 1 channel has also released a podcast with the man himself on the day of the announcement. Worth a listen :tup: He also mentions that racing is not out of the possibility too ;)

TomBrady and SiriusR like this.
  30. Griffith500

Griffith500

The engine concept doesn't sound very far removed from the 11 000 rpm Cosworth lump destined for the Aston Martin Valkyrie. It's quite a bit smaller (lighter) and revs 9% faster, so it will be very racy, but that makes it special.

What immediately strikes me is: why isn't Ferrari, out of all of the "prestigious" manufacturers, doing this? Their racy, small-displacement V12s cemented an icon in the '50s and '60s.

VXR likes this.