GR1 Daily... wow... Thoughts?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 102 comments
Well , with a controller (which is what 70% of the player base uses) brake control is a bit...impossible. At least for me , that i use x/square for throttle and brake. So , keeping abs imo prevents an even bigger chaos that is 15 drivers who don' t know how to brake without abs in 600+ hp machines.

I would take out TCS at least.

They'd need to ban it for wheel users, but that's not gonna happen because the value of trying to control a car on the limit unassisted I don't think has been recognised by PD (yet), which is a surprise because Ayrton Senna and Lewis Hamilton are revered where Senna hated assists and no doubt Hamilton wouldn't be a fan either.

I'd like to know what the top 30 would vouche for though.

I drive with ABS plus CSA on some occasions and I can not understande the idea that PD should ban drivng aids from sport mode. What for? It's faster to drive without them. If it helps other people (most people) being more competitive around me and helps them not to crash, good for them.

I wouldn't mind a daily race where all aids were prohibited though.

I drive with ABS plus CSA on some occasions and I can not understande the idea that PD should ban drivng aids from sport mode. What for? It's faster to drive without the. Ifit helps other people (most people) being more competitive around me and helps them not to crash, ggod for them.

Also, most Sports car series use driver aids anyway

I'm dreaming about a GR. B Race on Tarmac! Its pretty fun to drift around the corners with the 4wd Rallycars. And it would also be intressting to see the adjustable Torque setting diffrence.

(Sorry for my bad English)
I once had a Gr.B race on Suzuka, that was on the second beta, though.

I drive with ABS plus CSA on some occasions and I can not understande the idea that PD should ban drivng aids from sport mode. What for? It's faster to drive without them. If it helps other people (most people) being more competitive around me and helps them not to crash, good for them.

But I thought most of you guys at the top aspired to be racing drivers who relish challenges, like driving in the wet for instance. Lapping faster doesn't mean better, because we become more complacent in our driving when something else takes car of it for us....and driving without ABS is much more demanding and much much more fun when you get consistent at it.

And because the majority of sports cars use it, doesn't necessarily mean it's right, IMO, it is the manufacturers and rule makers who maybe don't value the art of driving itself, and why would they, when most involved have probably never even driven a 5hp go kart.

But I thought most of you guys at the top aspired to be racing drivers who relish challenges, like driving in the wet for instance. Lapping faster doesn't mean better, because we become more complacent in our driving when something else takes car of it for us....and driving without ABS is much more demanding and much much more fun when you get consistent at it.

And because the majority of sports cars use it, doesn't necessarily mean it's right, IMO, it is the manufacturers and rule makers who maybe don't value the art of driving itself, and why would they, when most involved have probably never even driven a 5hp go kart.

I used to aspire to be a racing driver when I was a teen. Now I just aspire to have as much fun as possible while trying to be fast. I treat GTS as a game and I'll sometimes use aids if that makes it fun on that moment. Sometimes I'm just too tired to drive without aids. That wouldn't be fun for me.

I also drive CSA sometimes because the FFB and tire model are laughable. If all I have regarding the car grip are visual hints, I'll turn on CSA. With a decent FFB and tire model I wouldn't need CSA at all when I'm not in the mood to predict the unpredictable.

I wonder if PD put this new aid in the game to cover up the poor FFB and tire model to some degree. CSA was never in any previous GT but it makes sense in GTS.

Edit: just to clarify, when I say laughable and poor I'm not saying it's bad on its own, but pales in comparison with AC or PC2 IMO. Let alone reality.

Last edited:
I used the McLaren in the race, and it seemed pretty fast if you could keep it smooth and off the kerbs... until I got spun by a yobbo at the end of the esses on lap 1. I spent the rest of the race recovering the 20 second gap which develops VERY quickly when you spin in Gr.1!

I’ve not got time to do any races, but it was nice being able to push and try some of the GR1 cars... tho makes you realise just how dumb the VGT’s are... that Mazda has zero oversteer, even when you floor it from nothing (without TC) and hardly any over steer...

Managed a 1:20.5XX in the Audi R18 2016, so pretty happy with that. I love the gear display far into the dash, all Sports cars should have this haha

I did the race, and oh boy, the 919 accelerates ridiculously quick. I started on pole and behind me is a 2011 R18, and I pulled off a 2 second gap after the first chicane. Finished the race first, 5 seconds ahead of the R18. Looking forward to a Gr.1 daily race C with fuel and tyre consumption.

I did a few races last night. Started with the Audi, which is incredibly easy to drive. I switched to the Hyundai, got better times, and it's almost as easy to drive.

One strange thing at the very start, the car in back of me (we were both in the Audi) rocketed past me before the first turn. I was full throttle and this was before we got to braking zone. I had Traction Control at 2, so maybe that was an issue. It felt like they started the race about a half second before me.

By sports cars, I assume the poster above meant racing cars as many do now use driver aids in the major series and further down the ladder. Manufacturers are driven by legislation and the market - at present that means cleaner and safer cars. Motorsport rules are set by the governing body in consultation for the most part with participants and experts - they know what they are talking about, even if some of the regs end up being bang average.

Driving without ABS requires feedback and sensory inputs of a physical nature. Not sure how they're going to manage that via a Dual Shock controller with the average user using that, sitting on their sofa.

I used to aspire to be a racing driver when I was a teen. Now I just aspire to have as much fun as possible while trying to be fast. I treat GTS as a game and I'll sometimes use aids if that makes it fun on that moment. Sometimes I'm just too tired to drive without aids. That wouldn't be fun for me.

I also drive CSA sometimes because the FFB and tire model are laughable. If all I have regarding the car grip are visual hints, I'll turn on CSA. With a decent FFB and tire model I wouldn't need CSA at all when I'm not in the mood to predict the unpredictable.

I wonder if PD put this new aid in the game to cover up the poor FFB and tire model to some degree. CSA was never in any previous GT but it makes sense in GTS.

Edit: just to clarify, when I say laughable and poor I'm not saying it's bad on its own, but pales in comparison with AC or PC2 IMO. Let alone reality.

I think you could be right about the CSA, although I would need to test all the brake choices to try and define more accurately where the problem lies. ATM, I have a feeling the default ABS is too effective although the absence of a proper tyre model, is the biggest culprit. For PD to content themselves with a made up tyre model and the ensuing nightmare of its flaws followed by Goodness knows how many assists doesn't make sense. A good tyre model, and the rest will follow suit.....tyres are overlooked so so much.

But it seems, many rely on tyre feel to find where the limit is and this is indeed lacking, although to the best of my knowledge all drivers use both a percentage mix of feel and anticipation, and those who rely more on anticipation are able to get around the problem of little tyre feel. I think those that rely much less on anticipation and more on feel, are comfortable driving 99%- 100%, whereas those who anticipate more, drive between 100% and 101%. Button vs Hamilton for instance. And GTS shows that too.

When I first tried the GTS demo months ago, I began much more competively when I was using the weak ABS at Interlagos and it was easy to rotate the car which felt more like no ABS and I thought PD had done a great job of the physics because no one was able to exploit the physics like in previous GTs by drifting excessively. But then everyone began finding their feet, and default ABS was the way forward but to the detriment of making driving less of a challenge.

I would get rid of CSA but keep the more realistic aids like tcs and abs. This lobby sounds alright, wish there was more laps though.

I did one. I don't know if this is just a chase cam thing but the sense of speed using these cars feels unrealistically extravagant. It was fun anyway but I think the Gr.3 cars feel better to drive.

@mirial With regards to ABS I think it's way too unrealistic when switched off and locks the wheels up too easily, so forcing it off wouldn't improve the game it would just make it incredibly frustrating for everyone. As for the other driving aids I don't particularly care if they switch them off or not, most of them if not all of them reduce the ultimate pace of the car when switched on and aren't essential for going quickly.

As for the topic, it seems now that they are somewhat happy with the BoP of Gr.3 and 4 they are expanding to other categories, although it would of been nice for them to fix the Gr.1 BoP a bit before putting it in the daily races. I can understand it not being that good without having run it for quite a few different track combinations but there are some glaring differences between some of the cars that can be easily improved upon. Good to see that they are mixing it up a bit though. 👍

I did a few races last night. Started with the Audi, which is incredibly easy to drive. I switched to the Hyundai, got better times, and it's almost as easy to drive.

One strange thing at the very start, the car in back of me (we were both in the Audi) rocketed past me before the first turn. I was full throttle and this was before we got to braking zone. I had Traction Control at 2, so maybe that was an issue. It felt like they started the race about a half second before me.
deleted

EDIT: I didn't understand your post fully whoops (didn't notice that you're also driving the Audi)

While the Mazda LM55 is setting the top times, it’s not the only car that can be competitive.

I’m (B/B) doing alright with the Porsche 919, setting 1:20s and fighting for podiums. TCS2 seems to be the sweet spot.

Driving without ABS requires feedback and sensory inputs of a physical nature. Not sure how they're going to manage that via a Dual Shock controller with the average user using that, sitting on their sofa.

I don’t think it’s possible on a DualShock4, unlike on Xbox where you have rumble motors in the triggers. The Xbox One Controller is so good that I can comfortably drive in most games with no ABS/TCS, you just don’t get that feeling on PlayStation.

But I thought most of you guys at the top aspired to be racing drivers who relish challenges.
That may be true for some but don’t forget that this is a competitive environment, where the ultimate goal is to win.

If you are playing to win, you use every legal tool, tactic and option that can give you an advantage.

If you don’t you’re essentially handicapping yourself by playing to a personally-defined set of rules as opposed to what the game/competition has set out for you.

Last edited:

My SR today :ill:
KtiwUAs.jpg

Disappointed the fun and skill level has greatly been reduced by making those Vision things faster than the LMP1s.

GR.3 offers the greatest challenge so far for the experienced driver, but even that has been diluted a lot by allowing ABS.....PD just can't break out of this culture of making everything easy.
I go without ABS and without TCS in simracing games, but I leave ABS on weak in GTS, braking without ABS is very inconsistent I went almost 2 months without ABS and it was too much to handle after a while.

**wheel user.

The Porsche 919 is definitely competitive and the rolling start is RIDICULOUS! Depending on starting spot you can grab a few spots before T1. In my last race I started P3 and jumped P2 before T1 then followed the leader until I got punted at the end of the long straight by the car I passed. Guess he didn't like my take off.

The fact we can't change settings for Gr. 1 is just laughable.. As I said before and I'm gonna keep saying it, the BoP is only good when you can tune a car for a track. With custom setups the BoP is fairly decent.

I wanted to use the TS050 in Interlagos and got beat out by 2 LM55s simply because they were able to push full throttle out of turns... Hybrid system is only good for corner exits as I always get walked down by the Mazda on straights so I don't want to hear the excuse for that..

The leaderboards should NEVER be fully filled with one car... That is simply pitiful and is an indicator that maybe JUST MAYBE some cars have better advantages over others in a stock tune.. Like what's the point of pushing Sport mode if we can't tweak settings to fit each track?

The Porsche 919 is definitely competitive and the rolling start is RIDICULOUS! Depending on starting spot you can grab a few spots before T1. In my last race I started P3 and jumped P2 before T1 then followed the leader until I got punted at the end of the long straight by the car I passed. Guess he didn't like my take off.
You're in the video I posted :dopey:

Back