GR1 Daily... wow... Thoughts?

• Thread starter rdks
  • 102 comments
Tuning has no place in official GT Sport races, its all about leveling the playing field and letting the best DRIVER win, not the best SETUP.

I had this issue all the time in F1 games for Online leagues, the best racing always comes when everyone uses the default setups because the cars are equal, may the best driver win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to use custom setups for endurance races but, all the FIA races they should be stock setups for equality. As far as Pad vs Wheel on a stock setup a wheel will always be faster. But with tuning the pad can be as competitive. i'm definitely not the fastest driver on a pad but i'm amazed hot shocked people get when then they learn... (shameless plug)

Last edited:
In IMSA certain cars have an advantage over other cars on certain tracks. BOP adjustments are made during the season to even things out.

But in IMSA or any other series that employs BoP standards a driver drives the same car throughout the season so a driver may gain an advantage on one circuit a different car will have that advantage on the next circuit in the schedule so the BoP offsets the advantages throughout a race season.
If a car is found to be dominate the BoPis adjusted.

But those same cars in IMSA the teams are allowed to adjust the suspension to the drivers preferences or to better suite the circuit they are racing that week. There is no current series where all adjustments are locked. BoP may lock aero, ride heights and sometimes overall gear ratios in the interest of BoP but spring rates, shock values, anti roll bar stiffness, differential adjustments are left open for the teams to adjust.

I think that most here would welcome those same limitations to the tuning but unlock and allow the rates that are allowed in the real world.

This game where it also differs from a series is that a driver is not required to remain in the same car from race to race and every race is a one off race so the advantages do not equal out over the course of a season.

The only place in the game that mimics real life in any way is the manufacturers championship which does require racing the same car for a season. But even there you cannot adjust the suspension which makes the game much more like an arcade game rather than a simulator.

Learning what a car is doing and what causes it is just as much a part of racing as turning the steering wheel.

But in IMSA or any other series that employs BoP standards a driver drives the same car throughout the season so a driver may gain an advantage on one circuit a different car will have that advantage on the next circuit in the schedule so the BoP offsets the advantages throughout a race season.
If a car is found to be dominate the BoPis adjusted.

But those same cars in IMSA the teams are allowed to adjust the suspension to the drivers preferences or to better suite the circuit they are racing that week. There is no current series where all adjustments are locked. BoP may lock aero, ride heights and sometimes overall gear ratios in the interest of BoP but spring rates, shock values, anti roll bar stiffness, differential adjustments are left open for the teams to adjust.

I think that most here would welcome those same limitations to the tuning but unlock and allow the rates that are allowed in the real world.

This game where it also differs from a series is that a driver is not required to remain in the same car from race to race and every race is a one off race so the advantages do not equal out over the course of a season.

The only place in the game that mimics real life in any way is the manufacturers championship which does require racing the same car for a season. But even there you cannot adjust the suspension which makes the game much more like an arcade game rather than a simulator.

Learning what a car is doing and what causes it is just as much a part of racing as turning the steering wheel.
formula E uses stock setups right?

I don't agree with this at all. For various reasons.
1. Just because someone is fast on a setup, doesn't mean it's going to make someone else faster. The car is going to behave differently that may not be to the tastes of the said setup borrower.

True, but I don't see the relevance to point that setups increase the ultimate pace of the car, whether individual drivers can use specific advantages a car might have is a different matter and can't be accounted for when setting a level playing field.

2. There are people who don't have good Driver ability that win a lot simply because they use the most favorable car suited for the current track.

And? That option is available to everyone, it is a choice to pick a slower car, there isn't a choice however to pick the best setup.

There are races in the dailies where you can beat out the field or stay in the top 8 as long as you stay on the track.

Again, why does that matter? Driving ability isn't just about being fast you know, being consistent and staying on track is just as much down to your skill as going quickly is.

3. I really don't understand the whole concept behind "tunes make the car faster or create an unfair advantage" It sounds no different than the "Wheel users are faster by default" or "wheel users have way more advantages than a DS4 user" A wheel itself doesn't make a driver faster, just like tunes won't AUTOMATICALLY make everyone a different/faster driver.

Setups do make the car faster, it's a simple fact, that is the sole purpose of changing the setup to make the car go faster, or more specifically to make an individual driver go faster in the car. Now not every "fast tune" will make every driver faster, but I think that's trying to find a single example to counter
the general point that setups makes cars and drivers go faster and gives them not and unfair advantage, but one that has nothing to do with their driving ability.

To continue..

There are people who get on the top leaderboards who are all for tuning. So because I want tuning, I'm using a cop out plea to not practice?? I practice a lot actually. Sometimes I'll strictly go to qualifying and lap for two races.. Just like everyone isn't good with custom setups or won't have the time to make setups, everyone isn't good with stock setups and it doesn't fit their driving style. But I guess I should suck it up and get good at driving stock tunes because that's what I feel like you just implied.

Or course there are! Top drivers and well any driver really are always looking for any advantage they can to beat other drivers, my argument is to keep it as much down to driving ability as possible, yours seems to be that you don't care.

And yes, just because a default setup doesn't suit your driving style it is a cop out to change the setup, instead you should learn to adapt to the setup and use any setup to it's maximum potential as it will help you in the long run.

How can you even attempt to insinuate they are irrelevant?

Because it has nothing to do with whether tuning should be allowed or not. As I've said before personally I'd be perfectly fine with driving aids being restricted, it wouldn't really bother me, but allowing them has a lot less of an impact than allowing tuning, especially as most driving aids will slow you down. The only argument where driving aids would be of any relevance to allowing tuning is "if driving aids are allowed then so should tuning or anything else that reduces the emphasis on the drivers ability" and that is a stupid argument.

Some people in order to be competitive do not want to have to be forced to choose 3 or 4 different cars on a circuit out of a total of 12 -15 cars that are actually made available to race within the class by the game because PD sets a base tune on some cars that are much better than others.

Well that's a sacrifice you're going to have to make until they either remove multi-make races or improve the BoP to the point that all cars are competitive. The latter is far more likely to happen and every update they get closer and closer so as time goes by you will have more and more choice. Ideally they would BoP for every circuit but that's a lot more time consuming so I doubt they ever will.

No, allowing tuning is a cop out out for someone with your attitude that apparently does not want to invest the time to understand how tuning a car is a critical and realistically normal part of racing just because you do not like it.

That makes no sense whatsoever. How can tuning be a cop out for someone who doesn't want to spend the time to tune? Did you mean not allowing tuning is a cop out for those people because that would make a lot more sense. I mean it's still wrong, but it would make sense anyway. The reason it's wrong is because if you know the right people it requires no effort at all to setup the car which brings me onto this.

I am not afraid of the challenge but apparently you must be.

Allowing tuning wouldn't have an effect on me at all, in fact it would help me out if anything because I talk with a lot of the fastest people on the game and getting a good setup wouldn't be too difficult for me to do. So I'm not afraid of the challenge of setting up a car, I'm arguing against it on the principle that sport mode aims to rate you on your driving ability and that as few outside factors as possible should effect that rating. Tuning has nothing to do with driving ability and significantly reduces the emphasis on it so shouldn't be allowed. I can understand some exceptions to keep it fun such as driving aids and different cars, but their effects on the outcomes of races should be limited as much as possible if they are put in at all and ideally should mostly be a benefit based on driver preference and not to ultimate pace. Tuning at the very least dramatically increases the ultimate pace of the car/driver so again shouldn't be allowed. Tuning does also benefit based on driver preferences though so I wouldn't even be massively against having a handful of different default setups to choose from, although as I said before don't want to over complicate things and ideally you would want all potential advantages to be visible just as car choice and driver aid choice is.

Are people seriously still trying to spread the notion that fixed tuning creates an equal field? Because that argument ONLY works for one make races. That does not work for garage based events.

Are people seriously still trying to spread the notion that fixed tuning creates an equal field? Because that argument ONLY works for one make races. That does not work for garage based events.

But even in multi-car races with a BoP in place, the field is still more equal if tuning isn't allowed as at the very least it makes it easier to get an accurate BoP. Also it's not even the main argument, that is that factors that decrease the emphasis on driving ability shouldn't be added into sport mode, and tuning has nothing to do with driving skill or any skill at all in theory as as I said above if you know the right people all you need to do is ask for a setup, so it shouldn't be a factor in your driver rating.

EDIT: It is worth noting that this is all getting quite off topic and I've made my point so probably shouldn't continue to argue.

I'm arguing against it on the principle that sport mode aims to rate you on your driving ability and that as few outside factors as possible should effect that rating.

The only way your argument has any validity at all is if you make all sport races to be one make races and all drivers aids be of a default setting whether on or off.

Once you introduce different cars with different traits, differences in traction control and/or brake bias which are both performance tuning settings whether you like it or not any argument that from that point on about driver ability being the deciding factor has long since flown the coop and not to see that would take a pretty mentally dense individual.

Well that's a sacrifice you're going to have to make until they either remove multi-make races or improve the BoP to the point that all cars are competitive.

No we probably have a chance that at some point the tuning options with BoP limitations may at some point in the future be unlocked as should be in a non arcade styled game.

The only argument where driving aids would be of any relevance to allowing tuning is "if driving aids are allowed then so should tuning or anything else that reduces the emphasis on the drivers ability" and that is a stupid argument.

No the stupidity is not being able to understand that anything that helps a driver maintain control of a car eliminates just the drivers ability being the deciding factor across the board between drivers.

In a multi make race if one car is "easier" to drive within a class than another then you have eliminated driver skill as being the deciding factor. The 911 is popular because it is fast and many drive it because it is EASY TO DRIVE OVERALL,

The Lambo is fast but requires much more precision in all facets of driving to get the same or better performance as the 911 but fewer people choose the Lambo because of its unstable characteristics and easier to crash as a result.

So would not the Lambo driver actually be the better driver overall to run the same pace over multiple laps mistake free?

Your argument holds absolutely no validity in multi make race of the driver being the only difference. Even a 12 year old would pick the fastest car on the track, does not make that 12 year old a better driver than someone who does not pick the flavor of the week car,

Guess you just prefer being a typical bandwagon driver.

Tuning in the real world is different than a video game for sure. You can have two of the exact same car and both will have a slightly different adjustments to achieve the exact same feeling. No two cars are exactly the same.

Although the same two cars in GTS will be exactly the same with no variation the outcome is the same because tuning setups are more Taylor Made for the driver and not make the car go fast. So just because you are using a shared tune that makes someone else better does not mean you will automatically be better.

The problem with tuning is not because of the advantage some people think it might create It's quite the opposite. Tuning is not easy and the chances of you getting it wrong are greater than getting it right. This will have a negative impact on the car. Very small changes can negatively impact your car and it takes alot of trial and era to find the right combination.

I like tuning and its a real challenge and it should be given more attention in GTS but I'm not sure Sport Mode is the place for it or not at least the daily race's where most of your casual players are. Adding a new Sport Mode challenge for it or adding it to the existing FIA Championship races seems more fitting.

So.. it seems at least to me, this is the first day they have made a daily GR1. What are everyone's thoughts.

I am still trying to figure out which car.. and is it worth running on the course considering people always seem to find first lap, corner 1 to be a bumper stop for the back...

I raced quite a few times. My username is the same as my PSN. Maybe I raced against some people here. Anyway, it was a fun experience. A bit chaotic. Lots of ramming and other nonsense. I raced a Peugeot hybrid.

For the record, I don't mind having fixed setups in Sport Mode, but it's silly to not include it in the actual Championships, where the real competition actually is. Like I said before, fixed one make races are as fair as you can get, and I don't have a single problem with that. Fixed setups in Gr3/4 races are different because of the fact certain cars' default setups are just clearly better than others. I hardly see corvettes racing in A/S lobbies except for the <0.1% of drivers who are actually fast with the vette. Why? Because the stock tune isn't good at all unless you literally do nothing but race with it. Meanwhile, the B/A/S races were always dominated with a majority for Porsches (I admit at one point I was a part of this) because it has one of the best, if not the best, stock tunes on it, and it's incredibly stable. I also see that in gr4 races without tire wear, people tend to choose cars with high acceleration stats, like the FF cars. Outside of that, I would see the BMW/Aston Martin near the top of each room because it was better overall for tire wear/fuel. If you want to keep these races fixed, that's fine, but don't act like it actually "levels the playing field" when a lot of people have a particular driving style that most of the time hinders them because there isn't a compatible car for their particular skills.
Having fixed setups in the actual championships (even if they're still test ones) is where the line is crossed. I don't know of a single motorsport that does not allow any sort of tuning whatsoever for the suspension, transmission, etc. Part of being a racer is knowing how your car functions at its peak and knowing what to fix in case there's any problems that need to be brought up. By forcing fixed setups, that particular element is completely ignored and doesn't make you any more skilled at being the fastest.

Getting back on topic, it's about time we had a Gr.1 daily. It seemed really odd that there hasn't been one for a very long time.

I managed 2 wins from 2 start in the Gr.1 daily races! Love the evolution of the game and am looking forward to what the future updates bring!

Back