Gradient problems....

• Thread starter MrDashiki
  • 13 comments
United States
United States
Created and uploaded a few gradients awhile back with no issues. The other day I created several more and when I uploaded them they were solid!!!! How and what is going on? Is there an .svg function I'm missing? I can't figure it ou!

I have this same problem when trying to upload decsls/logos with linear gradients. So far I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing or not doing right. I watched numerous videos on You Tube but so far nothing. But if you figure it out please let me know what you did.

garystevens64

I have this same problem when trying to upload decsls/logos with linear gradients. So far I haven't been able to figure out what I'm doing or not doing right. I watched numerous videos on You Tube but so far nothing. But if you figure it out please let me know what you did.

garystevens64

I suggest it could be a problem with the .svg file.

Try to upload your decal here: https://xerocho.github.io/svgomg/ and then save it. When you upload it again, chances are good that it could work.

I already use this the SVGOMG to lower the file size. How about I do a simple design with a single gradient in it & then I will sent it to you . Then maybe you will be able to see what I'm doing or not doing that causing this. I would really appreciate the help.

garystevens64

I already use this the SVGOMG to lower the file size. How about I do a simple design with a single gradient in it & then I will sent it to you . Then maybe you will be able to see what I'm doing or not doing that causing this. I would really appreciate the help.

garystevens64

Sure, I'll try it. And try to avoid to fail :lol:

Ok here is a racing wrap design that I created. I put a linear gradient in the rectangle only (in white). So after I've uploaded it it shows up being black. Like I said I've been trying to figure this out for months without any luck. So if its all possible maybe you can figure out what the hell I'm not doing. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.

garystevens64

Attachments

• Racing Wrap 981.svg
    3 KB · Views: 37
Ok here is a racing wrap design that I created. I put a linear gradient in the rectangle only (in white). So after I've uploaded it it shows up being black. Like I said I've been trying to figure this out for months without any luck. So if its all possible maybe you can figure out what the hell I'm not doing. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out.

garystevens64

Seems to work, here is the link to your design:

https://www.gran-turismo.com/de/gts...gallery/all/decal/1903931/8286694783241421320

When I pull it up on my computer it shows the black rectangular in black instead of the grey white gradient. this is the only part of the decal that has any gradients in it.

garystevens64

He is a decal that I made & I wanted to know if you could put a gradient in the red (Dynamics) so it fades from top to bottom. And if you could please explain in detail how you where able to do this & send it to me. I'll try one more time to get this right & if I can't get it right from you I'll just forget about adding gradients to any of my decals. Thanks for all of your help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Attachments

• team Dynamics Motorsport Logo.svg
    8.2 KB · Views: 20
He is a decal that I made & I wanted to know if you could put a gradient in the red (Dynamics) so it fades from top to bottom. And if you could please explain in detail how you where able to do this & send it to me. I'll try one more time to get this right & if I can't get it right from you I'll just forget about adding gradients to any of my decals. Thanks for all of your help. I REALLY appreciate it.
Here it is.
Your base file was already clean so I've only changed the "fill" from solid to linear gradient, set the colours and save as "optimized svg".

The golden rule for gradients is to add them AT THE VERY END. Trace your decal, tweak your shapes, add stroke and solid colours, then adjust the area.
When all of that is done, you can start your gradients. If you modify the shapes or the drawing area after that, very often that will add some "gradient transform" functions that won't be read by the game, nor solved by SVGOMG.

Attachments

• team Dynamics Motorsport Logo grad.svg
    8.4 KB · Views: 17
If text (or even a single shape) is in a group and you apply a gradient with the group selected it actually makes a shared gradient and won't work. In Inkscape hold the [ctrl] key down when selecting, this ensures you are only selecting one path for the gradient. Otherwise the group and the path share the gradient and will not work. It can help to keep the objects mini window open, then you can be certain a single path is selected.

Back