Gran Turismo 1 Demo

The demo I have, had, for actual use, only one course (Clubman Route 5), and three arcade-mode cars; NSX (default), Corvette, and an [R]mod Impreza (even though there were no [R]mod cars in arcade mode in the final game). You could definitely go through Arcade Mode manufacters and look at approximately the same lineup as appeared in the final game. But all except the above three cars were indicated as not available.

I don't think you could look much at other parts of the game. I will need to dig it out and check.

However, on the plus side, you could configure your controller however you wanted (though there was no way to save it), and you actually got to race a full 2-lap race against varied field.

And there was, I believe, much more data available and with a GameShark perhaps one could use more cars and even courses.

What demo disc was this on?:confused:

Mine had Einhander, Tomba, a video of NBA99, and Hot Shots Golf. Did the Interactive Volume 7 disc come with the PS1 in later purchases, by any chance?

I'm not really sure, the only playable games on it I remember was "Medievil", "Spyro", "Ninja", "Gran Turismo", "Test Drive 5", "Metal Gear Solid", and the NFL game I mentioned.

For some reason, when I view Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and change color
the color goes weird invert and all chemical color.

Is that with codes? Or as you saying this appears to happen naturally in the old demo?

I remember doing that to some cars in [size=+1]GT1[/size], with assistance of a game shark, and I think a Sting Ray was one of them.

Basically you manage to move the index out of the available table.

But there are lots of legitimate colour choices for the Sting Ray, so I can't quite remember under what circumstances the index finds invalid table entries.

But I could also believe it was a bug in the demo disk.

Is that with codes? Or as you saying this appears to happen naturally in the old demo?

I remember doing that to some cars in [size=+1]GT1[/size], with assistance of a game shark, and I think a Sting Ray was one of them.

Basically you manage to move the index out of the available table.

But there are lots of legitimate colour choices for the Sting Ray, so I can't quite remember under what circumstances the index finds invalid table entries.

But I could also believe it was a bug in the demo disk.

higlighted answer

Perhaps it's bad blocks on your copy. I didn't get that phenomenon when I tried it. Or it could be a bug in the version of the demo you got.

It happens if bad stuff is loaded instead of the correct colour map. Instead of having lots of subtle shades of the same colour, to allow 3D shading, the map contains arbitrary colours instead. So instead of a gentle progression from lighter to darker shades, the car gets coloured with weird arbitrary colours.

For some reason, when I view Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and change color
the color goes weird invert and all chemical color.

It's not a bug, I remember playing that demo with my friends on a psx and having that problem... we thought it was an easter egg or something like that... we called it the "Psychedelic Corvette"...
If I find my old GT demo disc I'll post a screenshot of that...

:lol: That looks like a 5 year old kid has accidentally repainted the car before PD released the game.

The demo I had was from one of the OPSM special editions, and it focused solely on racing games.

Had games like GT, Colin McRae Rally, Destruction Derby, Wipeout 2097, a Test Drive game and others, at least if I remember it correctly.

I can remember the NSX Type S Zero, and the racing mod version of the Camaro, and it also had a time limit.

That was such a good demo disc, and I miss having all my OPSM's, I'd give anything to get all the back copies.

Just one other thing, does anyone remember a video of GT on one of OPSM's demos. I think it was around the 32nd issue of the magazine, and my overriding memory of that is the Impreza Rally Edition flying through the air, all set to some great music. If anyone had that and could upload it to YouTube somehow, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Does that Corvette have normal-looking colours as well?
Is it like that from the start of the demo, or maybe only after you've raced a race?

Does that Corvette have normal-looking colours as well?
Is it like that from the start of the demo, or maybe only after you've raced a race?

In this demo you can choose only three cars, but you can see all the others too (There's the Not Avaible mark). After 1 race, you have to restaert the demo, so you have to see it before racing.
It has also a normal white colour, too, maybe with a red strip on that. The classic Sting Ray coupè color, which was present in Gt2 too.

Need to restart after one race, eh?

So, I guess they realized the other [size=+1]GT1[/size] demo, where you could just keep playing forever, was too much like a complete game in itself!

Anyway, I don't have that demo version, so that's why I can't see it.

I suspect the effect was unintentional on their part, and in that case I'd call it a bug.

(But now I need to go based just on memory :( ...; I could screenshot in a couple of ways from a real PSX if I had such a demo).

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back