Gran Turismo 2 on PSP?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 76 comments
3.40OE-A is first class firmware and I'm currently running it on my PSP. However this will be the final ever OE firmware as DarkAlex has quit the scene.

Latest and best custom firmware is now the M33 firmware. Currently up to 3.52 M33-4.

I'll be upgrading when Worms Open Warfare 2 is released. As for bricking - you'll be fine as long as you follow instructions properly. Like anything however, there are risks involved. I have upgraded/downgraded my PSP so many times now I forget and I have never had a problem.

As for GT2 on PSP - I ripped my copy of GT2 (the Arcade disc as better for quick PSP sessions) and it runs absolutely perfectly on PSP. It will certainly tide me over until (if ever) we get a proper PSP version. COME ON SONY!

I will honestly pay someone $50 to upgrade and put GT2 on my PSP...

$150 if you throw in a 4 gig memory stick...

I've got GT2 in ISO format, and firmware v3.71 on my PSP.

I've managed to get GT2 to boot on the PSP but then I am confronted with copyright issues.
But as I already own the original copy this would not be classed as piracy, just personal back-up.

Can anyone help?

PM me if your not sure what you're allowed to post.

Im sure eventually PD would release GT2 officially as a PSN download but knowing how they work it will probably take ages!

Robin

at the moment im not quite sure but i've asked my hacking friend to try to get gt2 on psp so if it works, i'll notify you guys

Awesome, but will GT2 work with this, and can I install without downgrading?

If so do you have any more info? 👍

Need to get 1.50 to install custom firmware. So yes, downgrading is always needed.

In case y'all were not aware, M33 has revealed himself to be none other than Dark Alex...

Anyway, I am confident that Sony will not release GT2 until after GT mobile has been out for awhile, as they would be afraid it would cut into sales. Think about it, if GT2 came out now and was only 6 bux, ppl wouldn't wait 6 months to a year to pay 40 bux for GT: Mobile, now would they? I know I didn't, so you'll have to read on to learn how to do it yourself.

I'm running 3.52M33-4, as its a little more stable than 3.71m33-3 at this point, and has the 1.5 kernel included (vs. having to add it on yourself, though it is rather simple). Not to mention that 3.71 doesn't really have any more features that I need, and only the newest games really require it. (I tend to buy PSP games only once they're under $20, and I could always rip the ISO and hexedit it if it did require a higher FW). Anyway, Sony's own FW versions 3.00 and up include a PSX emulator, but it only plays signed eboots you bought and downloaded from Sony. But DA/M33 designed custom FW 3.03OE-A and up will allow you to run unsigned PSX eboots.

There's a few programs you need, but its pretty straightforward. You can try to find the ISO/ROM, but this is illegal and pretty hard to do. I just bought the game at a classic game store for about 8 bucks. Once you've got the game, just follow this simple tutorial:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63658

It worked great for me, and I'm running GT2 Simulation off the memstick with absolutely no problems. I never really play Arcade mode and it takes up a bunch of space, besides, you can just put the PSP in sleep mode whenever, so Simulation works great for me.

The controls may not feel the greatest, but they're not that bad, just take some getting used to. You can press the home button and set the analog nub to emulate the d-pad, and the in-game options menu allows you to change the controls, so set the R1 and L1 buttons to shift up and down (L and R on the d-pad are now your view controls, works fine for me). It seems kinda ****ty that the analog nub only emulates the 8 basic directions instead of an actual analog stick, but remember that GT2 (like all PSX games) was programmed so it would work w/ or w/o analog sticks, and only reads those 8 directions anyway. Just play it for awhile, and you'll get the hang of it. Best racing game on the PSP by far! :D

I am currently playing GT1, and GT2(sim and arcade), on 3.71 M33-4.
Actualy it played fine when I was running 3.71 M33.
IMHO, GT2 (when converted into an eboot), is the best racing game for the psp period.

So far I've been able to run GT2 on M33-3.52 firmware. I don't want to update yet to 3.71.

You shouldnt, PSX games has a bit of problem on that firmware. M33-3.60 works fine though.

Do you know how to change from M33-3.71 to M33 3.60 btw?

The controls may not feel the greatest, but they're not that bad, just take some getting used to. ... It seems kinda ****ty that the analog nub only emulates the 8 basic directions instead of an actual analog stick, but remember that GT2 (like all PSX games) was programmed so it would work w/ or w/o analog sticks, and only reads those 8 directions anyway. Just play it for awhile, and you'll get the hang of it. Best racing game on the PSP by far! :D
Hmmm, this was one of the reasons I'd buy a PSP in the first place, and since I've pretty much only used the D-pad...

I haven't had any problems with the games that i have. I heard the opposite that M33-3.71 has better compatibility. I think its tied with Race Driver as best PSP racing.

I haven't had any problems with the games that i have. I heard the opposite that M33-3.71 has better compatibility. I think its tied with Race Driver as best PSP racing.

All PSX games i've tried works on 3.60 M33. But some (Breath of Fire 4 was the latest) doesn't work for 3.71 M33

help I just got gt2 on my psp.But I went to play it and I got a message saying thatthe copyright protection information is invalid. The picture shows GT2 mobile. I have 3.95 firmware .I dont what to do . I am so dissappointed.I am not computer smart at all. Please help me or show me ,I am dying to play this game I have been dreaming to play I have the slim psp with the extend life battery.If any body can help me I would truely indebted to them thank you.

Latest Posts

Back