Gran Turismo 2 on PSP?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 76 comments
help I just got gt2 on my psp.But I went to play it and I got a message saying thatthe copyright protection information is invalid. The picture shows GT2 mobile. I have 3.95 firmware .I dont what to do . I am so dissappointed.I am not computer smart at all. Please help me or show me ,I am dying to play this game I have been dreaming to play I have the slim psp with the extend life battery.If any body can help me I would truely indebted to them thank you.

Sounds like you have official $ony 3.95 FW! You need to downgrade to 1.50 Sony FW using pandoras battery, then upgrade to 3.95 GEN custom FW (just released a few days ago) or 3.90 M33-3 (what im currently running) and then try to run the game!

Thanks alot there H3rmaN !I am going to try it .One question ,Where can I find this 3.95GEN custom FW? And again thanks alot.. See you on the track!!!!!!

What version of PSP you got mate? As in what Sony FW?

You can check by going to "Settings -> System Settings -> System Information" then whatever it says in "System Software" is what im looking for.

Okay, heres the thing......

I have downloaded GT2 (simulation disc) from some torrent and tried to put it in my psp. The game did boot up nicely and there was no problem in the menu (thought it was cool! :dopey:) and as there was no gamesaves previously, I tried to take the B license test. Did the first test (which was the 0-1000m in a Vits) and whatever I do (fail or even pass) I reach this one screen and tried to retry, but my psp froze! (but good thing I could reset the game) :crazy: Same thing happened if I tried to exit as well. But it isn't just the test, if I tried to enter a race with a car, it will froze up as well! :mad:

I am using version 3.90 M33-3 and thought it was well updated (still not sure about 3.95 yet....) and was wondering if the system or the game itself that is giving the problem. I also am not sure if the GT2 game was in NTSC or PAL version...... :guilty:

Hope you guys can help me out.....

Edit: Hah, it was the the firmwares fault after all. Seems to be 3.90 M33-3 doesn't work so well with it (I just found out it was NTSC) and 3.71 seems to be better. I'll try to downgrade my PSP soon enough.....

Hi I just want to know whos making the descsions at gt hq? I am just upset that gt mobile was to be out when ? 4 or 5 years ago!!!! And now we still have to wait for gt5 to get done before we will maybe see gt mobile.What about gt1 gt2 games? Why cant we get these games on psp?Every body else is going to psp.I am surprise PD has all these well paid highly intelligant computer programers to do gt5 ,but you have to go to somebody less pay and most likely illegall to get these games .Iam sorry for this but I am upset about their priorities. I hope this is wherethis thread goes .I would like some feedback on thisarticle.Thank you for your time.

After a long chat with H3rmaN, it looks like upgrading to 4.01 is the way to go..... 👍 Hopefully nothing goes wrong when I update my PSP..... :nervous: I'll probably do it in a few days time when I finished backing up all my game and clearing up my pc. :)

Currently got GT1 working on my PSP, woo! :D

Just to clarify, thats 4.01 M33-2, not the official Sony 4.01 FW.

If you need any more help mate, feel free to drop me a PM! ;)

Well thanks for the help H3rmaN, the update was a success! :D
Well yeah, got GT2 to work again and I got to say it was fun playing GT2 again! o wonder I was still playing when I still had it.... the game did run smoothly on the PSP, apart from a few glitches and freezes (but only a temporary freeze, like 9-10 seconds like that) and haven't really explore a lot in the game. The good news is I got all gold in the B license test and got myself a Spoon S2000. 👍

Well thanks for the help H3rmaN, the update was a success! :D
Well yeah, got GT2 to work again and I got to say it was fun playing GT2 again! o wonder I was still playing when I still had it.... the game did run smoothly on the PSP, apart from a few glitches and freezes (but only a temporary freeze, like 9-10 seconds like that) and haven't really explore a lot in the game. The good news is I got all gold in the B license test and got myself a Spoon S2000. 👍

After reading this I gave GT2 on the psp a try as well. Got it working and also managed to get golds in the B license but I'm not a fan of the controls; but I guess you can't have everything.

Pyrelli

Well bad news for me......

I think I'm giving up playing GT2 on my PSP, as it was almost 🤬 IMPOSSIBLE to play it without having the game freezing (either a short or long periods of time) I was all happy when I FINALLY got all gold in the A license (but got a crappy car :grumpy:) and I also just managed to pass all the tests in I-C but when I went to race, after I press start and exit because I was last, the game froze and I had to restart with all the I-C tests ZERO!!! (but thankfully I saved the B test, if not there would be a broken PSP on my floor :mad:)

This is not because of the PSP or the CFW, but rather the GT2 EBOOT file. I don't know if its corrupted but its definitely pissing me of at the moment. Almost all the in game music is missing and even most of the songs in the race are missing. There is one song (which can't be heard) that will freeze my PSP for a few seconds during a test, but if this song is played during a race, then if I win or exit, the PSP will COMPLETELY FREEZE!!!!! :banghead:

Yeah, but I'll probably stick to other games for awhile (more so, GT1! I finally got the Del Sol LM! :D) and try to either get the GT2 disc from my cousin or download somewhere as a ISO/IMG file and convert it into EBOOT myself. Did that with GT1, and there was not even a single problem with it (and in both CFW 3.90 and 4.01 :D)

hmm.. i have an issue with it too, i couldn't even do the 1st test of the b-license. Anybody have a link to a functional iso/cso ?

hmm.. i have an issue with it too, i couldn't even do the 1st test of the b-license. Anybody have a link to a functional iso/cso ?

Go onto YouTube and look up how to convert ps one games for the psp. It'll be alot easier using your own copy of GT and it is fairly simple. An iso/cso probably won't be of much help anyway, it will normally be in the form of an eboot with a .bin file.

Pyrelli

It would be awsome if the PSP could play PS2 games but it cant handle it :crazy:

I was looking at the tech specs of both PSP and PS2. I've made a list of comparisons

• PS2 has 300MHz Emotion Engine CPU (PSP has 333MHz R4000 CPU)
  • PS2 has 32MB of RAM (PSP phat has 32MB of RAM and PSP Slim has 64MB of RAM)
  • PS2 has 150MHz Graphics Synthesiser GPU (I couldn't find anything on the PSP GPU, but I have heard that the PSP can handle just as much, or more polygons per second than the PS2)

Those are the 3 main things (CPU, RAM and GPU) and on the surface the PSP seems to hold up quite well against the PS2. But does anyone know if the PSP CPU and GPU can actually handle what the PS2 CPU & GPU can handle?

The PS2 also has a 3.2Gb per second memory badwidth and I cant find much about the PSP's memory bandwidth.

Are you using CFW 3.90 M33-3? Same thing happened to me when I played GT2 last time. Just update it to CFW 4.01 M33-2 (as H3rmaN mentioned in this thread) and you should be able to play GT2 without a problem. 👍

Go onto YouTube and look up how to convert ps one games for the psp. It'll be alot easier using your own copy of GT and it is fairly simple. An iso/cso probably won't be of much help anyway, it will normally be in the form of an eboot with a .bin file.

Pyrelli
Well my GT1 game didn't need the .BIN file to play. Somehow when I download this one converter which converts the GT1 game from a IMG file to a EBOOT without a BIN file and it was quite good. 👍 You could customize the start up as well! :dopey: I was using PsGUI300beta.

I was looking at the tech specs of both PSP and PS2. I've made a list of comparisons

• PS2 has 150MHz Graphics Synthesiser GPU (I couldn't find anything on the PSP GPU, but I have heard that the PSP can handle just as much, or more polygons per second than the PS2)

Those are the 3 main things (CPU, RAM and GPU) and on the surface the PSP seems to hold up quite well against the PS2. But does anyone know if the PSP CPU and GPU can actually handle what the PS2 CPU & GPU can handle?

The PS2 also has a 3.2Gb per second memory badwidth and I cant find much about the PSP's memory bandwidth.
How crap! :eek: Those specs are on the PSP!!!? It makes my PS2 look like 🤬 (but can't blame it, its really old now) I cannot see why it can't play on the PSP, but I can see why it will not work. For starters, most PS2 games have larger files and have to render more than the PSP, so even if the PSP has the better spec, but surely the internal is gonna fry up trying to play those games. Another problem is also that the PS2 has some sort of graphics card (forgot whats it called) inside to render the objects clearly in the game, which the PSP just cannot do well..... (heck, it was hard playing GT1 with the objects loading really late. Playing at SSR11 was a nightmare.... :ouch:)

I guess we just have to wait until another revolution is being struck. Who knows, maybe we could even play XBOX games on our PSP...... :D

As for my GT2 game, I might as well just delete it. Try to find some ISO/IMG file somewhere and convert it myself.....

For starters, most PS2 games have larger files and have to render more than the PSP, so even if the PSP has the better spec, but surely the internal is gonna fry up trying to play those games.

Yes, file sizes are larger for PS2 games, but you can get 8GB memory sticks....a DVD is only 4.37GB!

As for the internals "frying up" there is not chance that would ever happen! Even if the PSP could not handle a PS2 game it would be no worse than trying to run a high-spec PC game on a low-spec PC! CPUs & GPU's cant just "fry up" because you push them a bit hard, they just struggle to keep up and end up locking up.

Another problem is also that the PS2 has some sort of graphics card (forgot whats it called) inside to render the objects clearly in the game, which the PSP just cannot do well..... (heck, it was hard playing GT1 with the objects loading really late. Playing at SSR11 was a nightmare.... :ouch:)

Like I said above, the PSP graphics card can render more polygons per second than the Graphics Synthesiser (PS2 graphics card).

As for your problems with GT1 and GT2 I personally think that there's something wrong with your images, or possibly even your memory stick which is making it hard for the PSP to read and render the game.

I have a phat PSP with 4.01 M33-2 running GT1 and GT2 smoother than it does on a PS1.

However what I really want to know is how many FLOPS (Floating Point Operations Per Second) the PSP and PS2 CPU's/GPU's can handle.

Also how much memory bandwidth the PSP has and how many polygons per second it can really handle.

If all of them are => the PS2 then in THEORY the PSP should be able to play PS2 games....but like I said....its a THEORY!

i must ask...can someone upload these GT1 or GT2 cso/iso files for me as i've been looking for one on the net...Also will the files work with the M33 3.72?

works fine on my 3.80 m33-5. but the graphics is ugly... i've tried other games as midnight club3, test drive, and nfs pro street...all these games have nice graphics, where i can actually see where the road bends, but the car handle of these games ruins it, like glue on the road. Gt2 is much more fun to drive, besides you get to learn some about the cars and companies. shame that the graphics is out-dated. im looking for a great racing game ala like gt2...are there any sims out there?

PSP has 333 mhz, at least it is in the boot menu on CFW.

No, you need custom FW. Thats about all that can be said on the open board, so please dont ask how to get it or how to use it on here, as its against the AUP.

I haven't even touched my psp in about a year, theres just not anything on it that i would care to play. Until I can do something on it that really interests me its just going to sit in the box. Started to sell it but i can only get 100.00 for it and i have 5 games 2 batteries and a 2g stick so its not worth selling if i can only get 100 bucks for it, would rather just keep it.

sLg
So since I have 3.90 M-33, I don't need an emulator? Does it need to be in EBOOT or ISO?

No, you need at least CFW 4.01 M33-2 in order to play PS1 games smoothly and all PS1 games needs to be in EBOOT format. PM me or H3rmaN for further info...... ;)

Latest Posts

Back