Gran Turismo 5 Has a Hidden LAN Mode

• Thread starter elston87
  • 54 comments
United States
Las Vegas, NV
K_E_87th
With a simple modification to the game's executable, it is now possible to have a networked multi-player session on Gran Turismo 5 once again, and yes, this includes Shuffle Races! This functionality is actually tied to many of the game's "configurations" that the executable can load on boot. A certain configuration has the "LAN Battle" functionality 100% working. Normally, when you enable the Secret Settings on your save data and toggle the display of the "Online Race" option for the top menu, selecting LAN Battle does not work, but with this configuration, it's fully functional.

Below are screenshots of my first test. One of my consoles is a debugging station PS3, while my other console is a superslim PS3 running HEN/HFW:

List of lobbies:

93Mu3af.jpg

Sitting in a lobby:

TgjG9r6.jpg

In a race on a Course Maker course with two players on course:

79eaQf4.jpg

Both players paused, controlled by the AI on the course:

4Pvb3lc.jpg

Finishing a race:

i1Ap6pO.jpg

Last edited:
With a simple modification to the game's executable, it is now possible to have a networked multi-player session on Gran Turismo 5 once again, and yes, this includes Shuffle Races!

WOOHOO! Just the thought of being able to have another Shuffle race has made me a very happy chappy. How exactly does one modify the games executable?

:bowdown: :cheers: :cool: :dopey: :drool: :eek: :lol: :mischievous: :) 👍 :gtpflag:

I don't understand why they wouldn't allow access to a fully functional feature like this. Why would they put it in the game only to lock it away... :banghead: 🤬 :mad:

Maybe some more UKGTP races could be on the cards? @daan

:gtpflag:

VBR
WOOHOO! Just the thought of being able to have another Shuffle race has made me a very happy chappy. How exactly does one modify the games executable?

:bowdown: :cheers: :cool: :dopey: :drool: :eek: :lol: :mischievous: :) 👍 :gtpflag:

Well, in order to make it work , your console needs to be on a CFW / HFW, so you can run modified executable.
There are many configuration for GT5, the one that allows you to enable LAN is called "demo" , which was used in events such as TokyoGameShow 2011. In the secret settings, you can find some pre-sets demo codes:
upload_2019-11-6_12-49-53.png

"Demo" config also enable GPS Visualizer on GT5, but it doesn't seem to work.
upload_2019-11-6_12-44-20.png

If you click on it, it will pop out a black screen and an "Import" button under it, with a text saying :
Import GPS data files.
Insert a memory stick or other storage medium containing GPS data into your Playstation®3 system, and press the "Import" button.
Please do not remove the storage medium while the access indicator is flashing.
I tried to plug an usb stick with a GPS data I found on the net, but the game doesn't get any data from usb stick; probably a test function for GT6.

Regarding the game configs, one of those is called "rcvtst", probably "Receive Test".

upload_2019-11-6_12-36-59.png

It was used to test PSP receive function. When I tried to connect my psp as you can, set the correct game ID, nothing works apparently.

Another game config is called "academy" and.. guess what?
That's GT Academy 2012 game configuration, and you'll get only the message:
GT Academy 2012 is no longer available.
Please press the PS Button and quit the application

This LAN mode; would it be like in GT3/GT4 where you all had to be in the same place, or could it be done over PSN or the internet?

VBR

While the explanation behind this is against the GTPlanet AUP, it is actually quite simple. There's literally just a single string of text that you edit. Once done, the game will boot into a different configuration type. If you were to extract the game files, you can see the many different configurations that the game can boot in; booting into a particular one named "demo" allows for the LAN Battle functionality to work.

Given a few odd things about it, it works 100%. Text chat seems to soft-lock the console once you send a message; I have no idea why that happens, but you can disable text chat entirely with the Secret Settings to prevent this. Also, voice chat is disabled from the get-go, as the game is in a LAN mode, so voice chat typically wouldn't be needed for a local multiplayer session. As you can see from the screenshots, there are no driver names in-game, so you can't see who is who when racing; the only time you're able to identify the players is in the lobby itself before you enter the course; in this case, the game uses the name of the local PS3 user account as the name for the lobby (my debugging station PS3 is "Elston87" while my superslim PS3 is "Kristofr"). Otherwise, it functions just like an online room; everything is customizable and available, and you can even use any Course Maker courses you have saved.

VBR
This LAN mode; would it be like in GT3/GT4 where you all had to be in the same place, or could it be done over PSN or the internet?
It's only meant for a local area network, however you could experiment with LAN tunneling that would possibly allow you to play with other players over the Internet; while players might be able to connect to each other over the Internet with this, a stable connection is not guaranteed, since as it is operating in LAN mode, the game might be sending and receiving more packets than usual, which can cause for a timeout. Otherwise, yes; this would be similar to GT4 in that all consoles would connect to a LAN (typically by a router or network switch) and then connect to one another.

A few users, including @j0nny0093 himself want to experiment with LAN tunneling to see if it is indeed possible to play over the Internet. The fact that this is possible with HFW/HEN-enabled consoles means that any console that is compatible with the right tools and software can do this as well.

I have 6 PS2's with LAN GT4 and 6 steering wheels (a bit over the top i know)
I have 3 CFW PS3's and have been waiting forever for a LAN patch for GT5 and GT6
how do i do this executable modification, or is a modded executable somewhere as a download
Many thanks for all the work

I have 6 PS2's with LAN GT4 and 6 steering wheels (a bit over the top i know)
I have 3 CFW PS3's and have been waiting forever for a LAN patch for GT5 and GT6
how do i do this executable modification, or is a modded executable somewhere as a download
Many thanks for all the work
Unfortunately, it cannot be shared here.
the explanation behind this is against the GTPlanet AUP

PD really pisses me off. The thing is some of us here would stil casually play this game online and they wouldn't lose anything on GTS. We would be minority who plays 10 year old game.. Also the amount of hidden content it's just stupid and not understandable since game wasn't rushed out or anything. Great finds guys anyways. I played some GTS on my friends PS, im fast and stuff but Im so not interested in "esports" so I think I just wont be buying ps5 for gt7 either. Don't want to support PD anymore. If you look what they've had 10 years ago their events creating in gt mode is laughable also, not to mention gt6.

Unfortunately, it cannot be shared here.

How is it allowed to talk about hybrding but not this?
If you guys find out something about racing online, pm me please.. I wanted to say if I can help in any way but that's stupid because I'm useless when it comes to this stuff. Well maybe not for testing etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah screw PD!

They need to keep the ancient servers open for the rest of time so i can play ten year old games with three other people.

It doesn't matter how much it costs and if takes resources from gt7. They can downsize the studio to save some money so they can run a hundred year old server. That would be great for the players.

Yeah screw PD!

They need to keep the ancient servers open for the rest of time so i can play ten year old games with three other people.

It doesn't matter how much it costs and if takes resources from gt7. They can downsize the studio to save some money so they can run a hundred year old server. That would be great for the players.
The "servers" for GT5 and GT6 were just matchmaking servers, and only for public races; lobby racing didn't even need that. The games were peer-to-peer - each console was both server and client. That's why we could run LANs with 16 consoles connected together to the same switch, with the only external internet traffic being what the consoles needed to maintain a PSN connection (about 250kB an hour at our LANs). There's literally no external infrastructure needed.

This is very interesting!

Could there be a chance that a similar LAN mode exists for GT6?

Also, is there any sort of Discord/IRC where we can discuss these things a bit more in detail? :)

Last edited:
Based on mentions in Demo Mode, the FT-86 GP Mode was intended for a live event that has it's own Japan-only seasonal event - it played like GTS' FIA GTC World Tours (where the LAN menus were visible during the Tokyo tour): https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201112100006/

The other two (Tokyo Motor Show and Scion Launch event) refers to kiosk rigs at both events (there was a GT5 booth at TMS 2011).

Yeah screw PD!

Forza Motorsport 2 online servers still work, just sayin.

For obvious reasons, Microsoft has far better server infrastructures than Sony ever dream of. Not exactly comparable.
The "servers" for GT5 and GT6 were just matchmaking servers...The games were peer-to-peer - each console was both server and client...There's literally no external infrastructure needed.

👍

Back