Gran Turismo 5 Has a Hidden LAN Mode

• Thread starter elston87
  • 54 comments
That would be some amazing news. What is your opinion on Course Maker Tracks? They might be accessible too. I mean I can still watch replays of races on these, so …

(I mean IF a hidden LAN mode in GT6 could be accessed in the future)
If you mean Gran Turismo 6's Course Maker courses, you can still drive on them. A means and a method does exist as shown here.

As for LAN Mode in GT6, I still haven't found any obvious clues. And the clues I have found didn't lead anywhere. GT5 however was just a freak accident on discovery, I could say. The icon for "Online Race" has been there forever in the top menu, as you can put it on the top menu with the use of the game's Secret Settings. The "LAN Battle" option has also been there since Version 2.08 of the game, but it never worked...up until know, where the fix was just changing the configuration of the game.

GT6 is not quite the same as GT5 internally. While there are traces of a "LAN Party" icon in GT6, I haven't found a way to make it show itself...yet.

On the part about GT Sport having a hidden LAN mode for World Tour events, how does this make it fully independent of internet? As of right now, there is no way to save the game or access brand central without an internet connection. In fact, the consumer version released in stores is wholly dependent on an internet connection just to save. To save! I can't even save in Arcade or Campaign mode after winning credits or winning endurance league races. No buying cars from brand central either. Personally I think its a joke how most games require internet for solo play. I bought the game, let me access everything and leave the internet stuff optional.

Yeah screw PD!

They need to keep the ancient servers open for the rest of time so i can play ten year old games with three other people.

It doesn't matter how much it costs and if takes resources from gt7. They can downsize the studio to save some money so they can run a hundred year old server. That would be great for the players.

Thing is they could've keep it running for close to 0$.. So if ther are players whod still like to play they could even charge some money (not much obviously). For me 5 is better than sport in many ways so what do you even doing on forum of hundred year old game?

With a simple modification to the game's executable, it is now possible to have a networked multi-player session on Gran Turismo 5 once again, and yes, this includes Shuffle Races! This functionality is actually tied to many of the game's "configurations" that the executable can load on boot. A certain configuration has the "LAN Battle" functionality 100% working. Normally, when you enable the Secret Settings on your save data and toggle the display of the "Online Race" option for the top menu, selecting LAN Battle does not work, but with this configuration, it's fully functional.

Below are screenshots of my first test. One of my consoles is a debugging station PS3, while my other console is a superslim PS3 running HEN/HFW:

List of lobbies:

93Mu3af.jpg

Sitting in a lobby:

TgjG9r6.jpg

In a race on a Course Maker course with two players on course:

79eaQf4.jpg

Both players paused, controlled by the AI on the course:

4Pvb3lc.jpg

Finishing a race:

i1Ap6pO.jpg

I have my HFW PS3 how to get it to work? :)

Good, I'm getting a PS3 and discovered this LAN mode on GT5.

Yeah, I know, I'm a bit late for a PS3, but I'm a PC guy, I missed a lot of gems and considering PS5 will come out with PS4 compatibility I decided to pick a cheap PS3 and skip the PS4 to get a PS5 probably :lol: :P
I mainly use GT5 garage editor sometimes when I play it. PS4 should have been a backwards capability to play all Gran Turismo games, so when I buy a PS5 I could still play old GT games.

Is someone still playing?

If you mean online, then no, because they turned the servers off (like they do with all older games). If you wanna play with people online you need to do LAN tunnelling & my guess is there are not enough people doing it to make it worthwhile. GT5 is only good for offline play IMO. If you're getting a PS3 you might as well pick up GT6 also.

VBR
If you mean online, then no, because they turned the servers off (like they do with all older games). If you wanna play with people online you need to do LAN tunnelling & my guess is there are not enough people doing it to make it worthwhile. GT5 is only good for offline play IMO. If you're getting a PS3 you might as well pick up GT6 also.
yeah I meant with the LAN mode

yeah I meant with the LAN mode

The LAN mode is for a Local Area Network lobby only, i.e. several PS3's linked together at the same location. To race people online you'd need to set up LAN tunnelling & I don't know if anyone has actually achieved this as of yet with GT5.

EDIT: I had a look on YouTube, & while there are several people who got the LAN Mode working, there is only one guy @j0nny0093 who got a LAN tunnelling set up working.

Last edited:
VBR
The LAN mode is for a Local Area Network lobby only, i.e. several PS3's linked together at the same location. To race people online you'd need to set up LAN tunnelling & I don't know if anyone has actually achieved this as of yet with GT5.

EDIT: I had a look on YouTube, & while there are several people who got the LAN Mode working, there is only one guy @j0nny0093 who got a LAN tunnelling set up working.

Hey guys, if you want to play gt5 LAN online with us, Join our discord and weel be happy to help you out. Link: (https://discord.gg/WeaM65u)

Just to confirm, Can I install all the updates and then do things to the PS3 (that we cant talk about here) to enable me to play it online. i.e. I don't want to install something that patches a vulnerability that i might want to exploit!

If anyone is thinking about doing this and a little unsure, let me tell you I did it tonight and it is everything you think it is but better!
I am happy to chat anyone through it through PM (avoid some of the pitfalls).
Just do it - it is awesome.

Last edited:
I have converted a dead Sega NASCAR twin into a PS3 GT5 twin and have successfully set them up for head-to-head via LAN Battle. Does anyone know if there is a way to add AI to the race so there are more cars? Would be nice to have more cars on the track when racing, not that it's not fun otherwise :-)

Thanks!

Back