Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
Maybe they should just set the AI on rails?
I feel GT5's AI actually "drives" the vehicles rather than just some cardboard boxes looping around the track. In GT5 I feel the AI adjusts to the vehicle's behavior and maybe that's why it would require more powerful hardware to be improved..

Maybe they should just make the AI go as fast as the vehicle allows it and add some random "mistakes" and F^'s from the AI to make up.

ChicoMaloXD
I feel GT5's AI actually "drives" the vehicles rather than just some cardboard boxes looping around the track. In GT5 I feel the AI adjusts to the vehicle's behavior and maybe that's why it would require more powerful hardware to be improved..

Maybe they should just make the AI go as fast as the vehicle allows it and add some random "mistakes" and F^'s from the AI to make up.

No i don't want that. They should make an AI that actually race and don't behave like traffic. In GT5 they behave like traffic and are not competitive

This thread, although very serious in nature as the AI is terrible, makes me think about the Top Gear M3 review.

"In fact, the only way the Audi will ever pass the M3 is if the driver pulls over to wipe a bug off the bonnet"

Not in A-spec mode it might was well be moving roadblocks that's how it felt for me when I had the game(took it back best decision ever made lol).

In my experience, the AI is very stringent in following their racing lines. If they happen to ever go off, they'll try to go return to their line as soon as possible. This means that they will hit you, or even other AI, quite often. Furthermore, if you want to try and overtake them at a corner, especially on the inside, they will not let you pass. They'll just keep on going even if it means crashing in to you.

They drive with little regards to the human driver.

As a result of all this, I am seriously on the verge of quitting the GT series and moving on to a PC simulator. There is absolutely nothing for you to do. The online is too laggy and the physics don't match, so that's that out of the question. GT Life is plagued with the AI problems, as is Arcade Mode. So, honestly, what is there to do?

^Hot Lapping, Photomode, car collecting.......... that's what I like to do when I (rarely)
boot up the game.
Without major AI & Career mode improvements for Gt6, I'll be looking at Pc sims too.

I have often wished we had this complaint (AI that is fast but ignores you) instead of how it actually is (AI that is slow, dead slow when you get too close, can't beat you even with a 30 second head start and a 100pp advantage).

Whatever the solution, the one thing I don't want in GT6 is AI that are too slow and we're forever stuck running races from the back of the grid with a totally handicapped car to make it "even". If the AI has to run like "traffic" but has a scale of pace that goes up to 120%, at least then you actually get to race cars at their full capability. And once you pass, maybe you can also enjoy them chasing down your mirror instead of disappearing from it.

^Hot Lapping, Photomode, car collecting.......... that's what I like to do when I (rarely)
boot up the game.
Without major AI & Career mode improvements for Gt6, I'll be looking at Pc sims too.
Hot lapping: I don't know, I always thought GT was for racing against each other. While I do race around alone occasionally, it gets boring really quickly and really easily.

Photomode: I always thought GT was for racing.

Car Collection. I always thought GT was for racing.

I mean, it's not that I don't find enjoyment in doing these things, but they do get boring quite easily. Plus, they're not the reason I got GT5.

Hot lapping: I don't know, I always thought GT was for racing against each other. While I do race around alone occasionally, it gets boring really quickly and really easily.

Photomode: I always thought GT was for racing.

Car Collection. I always thought GT was for racing.

I mean, it's not that I don't find enjoyment in doing these things, but they do get boring quite easily. Plus, they're not the reason I got GT5.

Yeah I agree, that's why I said I rarely boot up GT5.
Hopefully Kaz can use some of his real world racing exp to help the(hopefully) newly hired AI experts, craft some dynamic and engaging AI for GT6. Though my internal cynic reckons they'll probably just focus on modelling & physics as usual.

The PS3's ram architecture makes it difficult to program realistic A.I, so hopefully GT6 will be on the PS4 .

So how do you explain multi platform titles that also appear on the PS3 with excellent AI, Formula 1 is on PS3 but it's AI is the same as on xbox/PC.

The Ps3's Cell CPU is a lot faster than the 360's, so it's better suited for AI and physics.
360 has a stronger gpu than the Ps3 though.

Stop whining about A.I. If you want a competitive race, use a slower car. There's almost no need to change A.I.
Except that you have to find that slower car, not too slow, not too fast. And by having a slower car, the dynamics of racing change. You're no longer racing even machines. In general the "slow car" adjustment leads to the player being very slow on straights but fast on corners. This can make racing boring as you basically just run a time trial; let the AI blow by on the fast sections and then drive circles around them in corners.

If the AI was competitive with equals cars, you would have a battle everywhere on the track.

If the latter is what people want, there is a huge need to change the AI.

Stop whining about A.I. If you want a competitive race, use a slower car. There's almost no need to change A.I.
Funny you should say that. Whenever I race, I either find the AI's vehicles to be either ridiculously faster than mine or ridiculously slower than mine. You don't race in GT5, you play catch.

therealfan1

I can't agree with this. The AI needs huge improvments.

Why people keep saying just drive with a slower car?

I think we all agree that the sound in GT is bad. I have a solution. Just use a Youtube video of the car while driving and mute the sound in GT and you have realistic sound :D

Please don't take it to seriosly ;)

Last edited:
2. Making the AI have better driving sense. (Monte Carlo anyone?)

At first I figured you were American since you used the name "Monte Carlo", because Americans who don't know motorsports outside of NASCAR use that name, but properly it's "Monaco". The circuit doesn't entirely reside within the district of Monte Carlo, but also spreads into La Condamine, but both are within Monaco. Further, the circuit and the grand prix both use "Monaco" rather than "Monte Carlo" in their names.

The circuit is "Circuit de Monaco" and the grand prix is the "Monaco Grand Prix'", or "Grand Prix de Monaco" in French.

I could care less....

"Couldn't care less". It isn't a matter of belief, opinion, or personal preference. It's a matter of right and wrong, or of yes and no. One says what you mean, and the other is a result of poorly understanding the language. If you could care less, that requires that you at least care somewhat in order for there to be the possibility of caring less, whereas had you not cared at all you couldn't care less because caring less would not be possible.

Before we get any more penalty systems or even a flag system(Nascar) the first thing PD must do is make the A.I dynamic and competitive.

Wow..., NASCAR is the only motorsport that has flags? When did that happen? When last I checked, flags were pretty common in motorsports.

I would like to see more A.I cars making mistakes like more swerving and being aggressive on other a.i cars on the track.

This.

So many racing games have AI drivers that make no mistakes, which isn't realistic. Humans screw up sometimes. Even professional drivers in the world's top motorsports divisions make mistakes here and there. They might not always be huge errors, but they at least lock up or misjudge here and there. In Forza, especially at lower AI skill levels, the AI drivers make more errors, as real humans would.

So how do you explain multi platform titles that also appear on the PS3 with excellent AI, Formula 1 is on PS3 but it's AI is the same as on xbox/PC.

People who don't understand hardware pull bullcrap excuses out of their butts.

The Ps3's Cell CPU is a lot faster than the 360's, so it's better suited for AI and physics.
360 has a stronger gpu than the Ps3 though.

Nah, PS3 fanboys make PS3 out to be massively superior to the 360 but in actuality their hardware performance is pretty similar; much more so than between the last-gen consoles or between N64 and PSX before that.

It isn't the player's responsibility to compensate for poor AI. If two NFL teams play each other and Team A is absolutely dominating Team B, Team A shouldn't have to tie their right arms behind their backs to get more of a challenge from Team B, but rather Team B needs to stop sucking so hard.

Forza has long got this right. Each event has performance class restrictions (PI, which PD later borrowed from for PP) and this keeps the competition close, especially in FM4 where the AI now upgrades their cars to be pretty well maxed out in class since it's expected that the player will also try to push their car's PI to the maximum allowed. When the AI is in cars of similar performance and when playing on a more professional difficulty setting, the AI can really challenge most players without them needing to deliberately come in with inferior cars.

Last edited:
F1 2011 has a great AI but it also has a lot less cars and track layouts. I'm no programmer but it stands to reason that the less cars/tracks you have to program the easier it gets to specify it for each track - thus making it better.

GT6 should have AI worth the title. Let's hope for the best.

"Catch the rabbit" is everywhere, i just had a 10 lap race at spa with a 630 pp RM vette and the field was equally matched with ford gt lm race cars, lm vipers, but the rabbit this time was beyond ridiculous, it was a 2j.

I already hate to see cars that are from different eras and categories racing together, the 2j being the rabbit makes it even worse. of course, the rest of the field were just moving roadblocks, as always

Ditto to this thread. The GT5 A.I. (like all the past GT A.I.) are just moving obstacles with no perceivable awareness of the player or each other at all, they all display the same zombie characteristics and present no challenge whatsoever. I completely agree with those here who have said that the A.I. on GT6 is a potential deal-breaker for the franchise.

And to therealfan1, the guy who said 'Just use a slower car if you want a challenge': That's a very weak suggestion with very little thought. This forum should be a platform for constructive criticism (which people have the right to phrase however they please) aimed at PD, which we're happy to give because we're fans. By your logic there's no point allowing the player to have a 787B or Audi R8 LM '01. I like those cars and I like how they handle when they're fully tuned, I just want to be able to race them against other similar cars without destroying them with my eyes closed. I should be able to race great cars and still have an enjoyable element of competition.

Just wanted to add my modest weight to this thread because I think it's important for the series' future that PD listens to us on this.

While I agree the AI could be better, I would say that it's not quite as broken as everyone would make it sound. GT just needs to be stricter on what tires and how powerful your car is because coming in to an event on Race Soft tires with a 100hp advantage would cause anyone to complain about the A.I. I do agree that they could be a little more exciting and entertaining, though, and that you shouldn't have to feel like you have to drive a stock car to get an exciting race.

The PS3's ram architecture makes it difficult to program realistic A.I, so hopefully GT6 will be on the PS4 .

I don't believe that for a second.
The AI in the GT series is by far the worst in any racing game that I can think of. I'm sure there are some bargain bin horror shows out there, but I don't play anything like that so have no basis for comparison (nor should cheaply made games be compared to something as vast as GT).

F1, NFS Shift, Race Driver: Grid, to name just a few who utterly piss all over GT's nonsense AI without even needing to try. And all available on PS3, strangely enough.
There's no doubting GT is peerless as a driving simulation, but it's as if PD got the simulation part right and then yet again just couldn't be arsed making it believable as a racing game.

The technology is there in the PS3, they just can't be bothered. Either that or they haven't a clue how to.

PS3 hardware doesn't have jack to do with AI.

Polyphony put so much effort into including 10-15 copies of each car to reach 1000 cars (which, IMO, is too much for one game and uses lots of memory) that they didn't put enough into the AI, which, year by year is getting worse and more stale.

I was playing a bit of NFS Shift, and was challenged a bit more but instead of being bricks of cement when you try to spin them (as in GT5), they react to the contact. If there is one area that GT got half-right, is the pack racing at Daytona. I say half-right because while the draft literally negates any hope of breakaways, the draft can still get you to unrealistic speeds.

Furthermore, an option for the NSCS cars like a restrictor plate should be added. It shouldn't be that hard to do, just a little tweak on the physics. Getting the same lap times as a car running the Plate requires 80 extra horsepower (around 530 hp in GT5 to 450 hp in 2011) to do 47's, and you'll pull more speed in the draft.

The AI needs pit strategy. Instead of pitting at the limit of tire grip, pit in relation to opponents. For example:
  • If there are 20 laps to go in the endurance race, then the AI will pit varying from 22-16 laps to go.
  • If there is light rain, AI may or may not pit for Inters, but a fresh dry compound with no fuel. The full stop will be on Inters, or full wets.
  • Conversely, if the rain stops, some AI may gamble and remain on wet compounds, whereas others will immediately switch to a dry compound.

I would also like to see a feud/ally system eventually. In this system, relations with certain AI opponents, will cause them to react based on how you race them. For instance if you act like an ass, they will treat you like one. If you race them cleanly, they'll return the same courtesy. Relationships, positive or negative, affect which race, tier of event, which cars, and how many times their name is generated. Some AI with positive relations can even join you in endurance races, as a teammate, similar to RD:Grid but different, or as an opponent, either with positive relations or negative relations.

But that's just a little bit of what I want to see as far as improvements to the AI is concerned.

I realized that the AI in GT was flawed after a few laps on F1 2011 on Expert. The AI in F1 tries their best to avoid crashing on to you. They even get out of the racing line when they are driving too slow!

I don't want the AI in GT6 to be too difficult though. Sure, make them a little bit faster and cautious, but not to the point where they become aliens. I play GT casually and don't want to spend a lot of time on the setups page just to match the AI.

because coming in to an event on Race Soft tires with a 100hp advantage would cause anyone to complain about the A.I.

But the complaints come from people using fair cars too. The last time I raced GT's AI I did the Japanese Sports Car event I think. I looked up opponent PP, and it was 480-490 or something for the fastest cars. I took out my S2000 at 470 PP, but I did not remember the tires to use (and it does not tell you). I think I picked Sports Hard. The race surprised me because the AI seemed pretty fast, although I was still passing one after the other. Then I watched the replay and found out why the AI seemed so fast. They were using Sports Softs. Two grades, at least, better than me. I should never have been able to win that race, let alone have no competition from cars that I passed.

Using slower cars only makes it harder to outrun them on straights but you can still destroy them on corners, the rabbit always seems uncatchable but once you finally catch up, its the same story, he'll just let you pass by

They were using Sports Softs. Two grades, at least, better than me. I should never have been able to win that race, let alone have no competition from cars that I passed.

THIS 👍 this is exactly the essence of the AI dilemma in GT5. All the time I think this, "I should never have been able to win that race".

What kills me are the people who say "just drive a slower car, then". Forgetting that is often against the reason I play GT5 in the first place, many of us have already tried that.

E.g. Ferrari F1 Seasonals, 870pp, RH tires. All of them can be beaten in a car with only 740pp - handicapped 200kg, 250hp, and some aero as well. That's like putting the fastest F1 car against the slowest GP2 car and the F1 loses. "Completely, totally, and in all other ways inconceivable."

Back