Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

The only real question for me is this:

Is the PS4 actually SO easy to develop for that PD can actually take the completed GT6 for PS3, directly port everything over to PS4 dev kits and upgrade it visually enough to call it a PS4 game, without drastically increasing production cost of GT6 as a whole?

No it wouldnt be easy , the PS3 didnt use x86 architecture i.e the cell processor, it has a totally different set of processor commands and deals with calculations differently, to cut a long story short, the PS4 is using x86 architecture, it would get messy porting it from one to the other and would be better on all fronts (time and running efficency) to write it from scratch.

The reason that the developers are saying the PS4 is easy to develop for is because its effectively a PC, if you considered a x86 PC as a platform then its been around forever in computing terms and holds no surprises.

Last edited:
GT3

GT5

I don't need to say any more.

GT3 didn't get delayed for a couple years. Would GT3 have been the PS2 legend and system seller it was if it got delayed for that long and games like GoW and FFX came out before GT3? And I would also say look at GT3 compared to GT4.

And as for you point with saying GT5, GT5's development started in 2005. In no way is GT5 an example of software produced with the hardware it's on being mastered by the developer. Yes it had the install base, and it sold well because of that install base. But because of how long it was delayed for, it was NOT the highest quality possible product. Perhaps it was compared to other games which started development that early, and even many which started MUCH later. But much more was possible as it turned out.

GT3 didn't get delayed for a couple years. Would GT3 have been the PS2 legend and system seller it was if it got delayed for that long and games like GoW and FFX came out before GT3? And I would also say look at GT3 compared to GT4.

And as for you point with saying GT5, GT5's development started in 2005. In no way is GT5 an example of software produced with the hardware it's on being mastered by the developer. Yes it had the install base, and it sold well because of that install base. But because of how long it was delayed for, it was NOT the highest quality possible product. Perhaps it was compared to other games which started development that early, and even many which started MUCH later. But much more was possible as it turned out.

Yes but your theory that launching a GT game within two years of the console is a waste is clearly wrong and GT3 sales being the highest of any GT game prove that. I'm not sure what it being delayed has to do with anything, you said a game out within two years and that was.

Guys GT6 is coming to PS3 end of story. As KAZ said "PS4: its like a blank canvas" that means he has no idea about the PS4 or something like that. Didn't KAZ also say somewhere they were starting GT6 right after they made GT5 that means he didn't again know something bout the PS4 till the news not to long ago so makes sense that GT6 is coming to ps3 right.

This is a different time though. We see it coming first of all. We know GT is coming. It wasn't as established then even though it was still big. GT3 kinda came out of nowhere. It was also a time when there wasn't a certain level of quality established for the series. GT3 was the lowest quality in the history of the series when you boil it down. That just wouldn't be accepted for GT anymore. Just look at how GT5 was reacted to by critics and it only "missed" so to speak on a couple little things.

I think in this age, you need that 2 years because 1) hardware uptake is FAR slower than it was in the PS2 launch era, and a big install base is needed due to the cost. GT5 was $60 million if I recall. It can't be compared to GT3 anymore. You HAVE to make that money back, or you might as well just close up shop now. And 2) because of the quality issue, in that GT MUST be (because it is by critics) held up to a certain quality standard, you have to take some time to figure out the hardware, otherwise the game's going to have little issues here and there which "standard bearers" like GT get ripped apart for nowadays (unless your name's Call of Duty, then you can have as many problem as you want and critics still give you a reacharound).

GT3 had no standards to be held to aside from older GTs, and the graphics leap was so huge over those games no one cared about what the game lacked. That's why I said look at GT3 compared to GT4. It just wouldn't be accepted anymore. Standards are just too high now even for launch games, and there's too much money at stake now to have a GT launch or even year 1 game for PlayStation 4. Unless it cost them almost nothing more to have it as a PS4 launch game AS WELL as releasing on PS3. Because then it's win/win. The game's up to a certain standard and will sell PS4's faster AND you're selling to the large install base of PS3 as well.

And I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility by the way. Like I said, that would be a SLEDGEHAMMER for Sony. WHile I think GT6 as only a PS4 launch or even year 1 game without being on PS3 as well, could really only hurt Sony due to many factors.

Last edited:
Guys GT6 is coming to PS3 end of story. As KAZ said "PS4: its like a blank canvas" that means he has no idea about the PS4 or something like that. Didn't KAZ also say somewhere they were starting GT6 right after they made GT5 that means he didn't again know something bout the PS4 till the news not to long ago so makes sense that GT6 is coming to ps3 right.

Kaz/PD helped design the PS4. Not sure how they'd do that without having early access and a pretty good idea/knowledge about it.

Source: https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-involved-in-ps4-vita-hardware-development/

Yeah you're right Kaz was sat watching a live stream on the 20th like the rest of us, it was a complete surprise to him.

This is a different time though. We see it coming first of all. We know GT is coming. It wasn't as established then even though it was still big. GT3 kinda came out of nowhere. It was also a time when there wasn't a certain level of quality established for the series. GT3 was the lowest quality in the history of the series when you boil it down. That just wouldn't be accepted for GT anymore. Just look at how GT5 was reacted to by critics and it only "missed" so to speak on a couple little things.

That's some strange revisionist history you have there. GT3 was a known entity; GT2000 was shown during the PS2's pre-release hype, in much the same way Vision GT was for PS3. It was known a new-gen Gran Turismo was in production. GT3 also was much more polished than the rushed GT2; sure, it had a massively smaller car roster, but they were on a level of quality unseen in any other game at the time, and were all consistently that quality. If PD had pulled the GT5-style two-tier car approach during GT3, and saddled players with a bunch of GT2 carry-over models, then yeah, it would've been of low quality.

GT3 was focused and concise, in all the ways GT5 is sprawling and haphazard.

I think in this age, you need that 2 years because 1) hardware uptake is FAR slower than it was in the PS2 launch era, and a big install base is needed due to the cost. GT5 was $60 million if I recall. It can't be compared to GT3 anymore. You HAVE to make that money back, or you might as well just close up shop now. And 2) because of the quality issue, in that GT MUST be (because it is by critics) held up to a certain quality standard, you have to take some time to figure out the hardware, otherwise the game's going to have little issues here and there which "standard bearers" like GT get ripped apart for nowadays (unless your name's Call of Duty, then you can have as many problem as you want and critics still give you a reacharound).

Of course, the one massive benefit a game like GT6 would have, on PS3 or PS4, is online connectivity. Back then, a game shipped and that was the end of it. Now, we can have updates and add-ons to keep a game relatively fresh after extended time on the market.

Judging by the continued sales of GT5 in XL form (which I'm honestly a bit perplexed by, but oh well), the game still sells well on name, and it's unlikely that wouldn't continue being the case even if the next iteration came out only a few months after the new system.

GT3 had no standards to be held to aside from older GTs, and the graphics leap was so huge over those games no one cared about what the game lacked. That's why I said look at GT3 compared to GT4. It just wouldn't be accepted anymore. Standards are just too high now even for launch games, and there's too much money at stake now to have a GT launch or even year 1 game for PlayStation 4. Unless it cost them almost nothing more to have it as a PS4 launch game AS WELL as releasing on PS3. Because then it's win/win. The game's up to a certain standard and will sell PS4's faster AND you're selling to the large install base of PS3 as well.

Admittedly, yes, there's far more competition in the genre now. Which, if you wanted, could be used in the argument for getting a new GT out on the new system ASAP. You know Microsoft won't waste any time getting their racing games out for their new system...

And I don't think that is beyond the realm of possibility by the way. Like I said, that would be a SLEDGEHAMMER for Sony.

If it were another developer, I'd consider it possible. Or even if PD were willing to let another dev in on the action to get the PS3 version out while they work on PS4. But PD, in their current form, pulling double duty? I don't see that happening at all.

This is a different time though. We see it coming first of all. We know GT is coming. It wasn't as established then even though it was still big. GT3 kinda came out of nowhere. It was also a time when there wasn't a certain level of quality established for the series.

GT3 had the most media attention that any game in the series has had to this day. Sony gave out monthly updates of its development all the way back to when the development started as the GT2000 tech demo, there were new demo builds constantly being given to the press, it had cover story after cover story dedicated to it, Kaz was interviewed every other month about the progress, and there was even detailed information about the changes made to the game when it crossed the Pacific before the game even came out over here.

You literally had to not pick up a gaming magazine at any point from the announcement of the PS2 to the game's release to not know about GT3 being on the way. The mere knowledge that GT3 was on the way made it so several racing games released around that time were basically dead on arrival.

GT3 had no standards to be held to aside from older GTs, and the graphics leap was so huge over those games no one cared about what the game lacked.

Contrary to popular belief, there were in fact big deal GT competitors even back then. It's a testament to how good the GT games were at the time (and how much money Sony had to push them compared to the others) that the only ones people can think of nowadays is Forza.

Last edited:
g1361841832532039745.jpg

The good news is that:

1. Click here: GT6 development has already begun since Sept. 2010.. See the last bullet.

2. Kaz once said: “Yes. You won't have to wait as long as you did for GT5. GT5 was basically the creation of a whole new operating system, and developing GT6 will be like adding new applications that run on that new operating system.”

3. PS3 has a large install base.

4. The PS3 is supposed to be supported until AT LEAST 2015 (Click here)

Not really sure what you're getting at but like I say yesterday I'm done with it all now until something is actually announced, all of this is getting pretty boring. Everyone has got their opinion and they're clearlt not going to change it no matter how many time the same points, ideas and theories are argued back and forth.

Some think PS3, some think PS4, when PD finally announce it we'll know. That's about it really.

No real point, just lamenting. It was much more fun holding the minority opinion. Like you said, it has become boring.

Now I find myself on the same side of the argument as the recipient of three 2012 GTP Awards®.

I’m still not 100% sure yet, and I will wait for an official announcement before I say I told you so. This leak is a little deflating, and takes a lot of the fun out of it.

I wonder if GT6 will have a 2.2L Camry?

I'm a total broken record on this subject, but it's simply the most logical argument for why GT6 MUST be on PS3. GT5, put plainly is one of the very first PS3 games in development, if not THE 1st which I suspect.

Due to that plus the delays....GT5 looked bad. And I don't mean graphically....that is part of it as well, though realistically even considering the age of the software GT5 was still the best looking racer on the console market when it released and for about a year after. But we couldn't help but be slightly disappointed with the graphics considering well over a year earlier Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and various others had shown what was actually possible on PS3.....which is alot more than GT5 visually. Imagine if GT5 made it's original launch of 2008-EARLY 2009 the latest? Even if it were the EXACT same game it would have LOOKED alot better....again I'm not talking graphically....even though I am, if you follow.

The point is, there is SO much more for Gran Turismo to pull out of the PS3 hardware. Everyone likes to talk in percentages these days as in "with Crysis 2 we got 100% out of PS3".....yet they somehow got alot more with Crysis 3. I think realistically, when it comes to visual quality....what we see going on graphically, saying GT5 is getting 60% out of PS3's potential would be being generous. It's probably closer to 50.

GT6 needs to be on PS3, because even though it's the same hardware, it could literally look like a whole different generation game than GT5. It could just be ahead by lightyears. Think about just the particle, interaction and deformation technologies in Killzone 2/3. Something easily programmed into any engine once the engine has been opened for new development (meaning these things can't just be patched into an existing game like GT5). Grass and chunks of earth properly kicking up and interacting with cars and environment and ground deformation. Realistic damage. Even Killzone's A.I. could be applied....which is incredible A.I.
Then on top of that you could easily program in things like God of War's anti-aliasing tech and texture proccessing software. God, there's just SO much development software for PS3 that's come well after GT5's engine was "closed" so to speak. All things that can easily be applied to any existing engine such as GT5's once it's been opened up, and all things that we know can all be running on PS3's hardware simultaniously and in real time.
Do you understand that now, GT6 even with all those upgrades, and looking lightyears better than GT5, could even run with NO INSTALL....or a minimal one? None of this stuff was even possible on PS3 when GT5's engine was still open. Now it's almost easy considering Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3 run without an install, that's all real-time stuff!

PD and SOny as a whole would just lose too much face to leave THAT much on the table with their flagship franchise. GoW2 and Shadow of the Colossus both came out on PS2 around the time PS3 launched in America, so we know if Sony has something to prove with the hardware at the end of a generation, they'll pull the trigger. And on top of all that, Sony would be complete idiots business-wise to make GT6 as a PS4 launch widow or even Year 1 game, selling it to an install base of maybe 10-15 million if they are VERY lucky, instead of a late gen PS3 game selling it to an install base of 70+million and still growing. A 70 million and growing fanbase that I might add feels like they got the short end of the stick with GT5.....even if they love it like myself and millions others, we still know there's ALOT more potential there that went untapped.

All that said, while I do think (know) GT6 will be a PS3 game, probably releasing this Fall, I also believe it will be a PS4 game. They just won't release at the same time. In fact I suspect the PS4 launch of GT6 will be well over a year later. There are plenty of racing games that will be coming for PS4, so it doesn't need GT at launch. PS3 and Sony on the other hand could use a HUGE multi-million seller to top off PS3 just before people start moving on to PS4 and while people are still buying PS3s. So a smart plan would be to complete it and get it out the door for PS3 before even starting on the PS4 upgrade.

Considering this, imagine the potentials of GT's past 6 on the PS4... It's quite difficult to imagine.

As for the earth deformation and dirt clumps, I'm on the rocks. That seems like a lot of interactive particles for the PS3 to handle... I mean, GT5 can get laggy if there's a big crash involving most of the AI on the grid (Smoke particles, all sorts of deformation to run)... If PD really CAN make the engine and the functions in the game more efficient, I'd be willing to bet this could be a reality. Maybe not quite to level of detail you speak of, but close to it. All of these functions DEFINITELY can be improved by a bit, though.

Considering how well you explained how Uncharted and Killlzone improved, I'm actually changing my mind to say that GT6 is more likely to come to PS3... And for those that knew my previous stance, that's kind of a major change of heart, for me... You could be right on the level of improvement a new GT could be on the PS3. The problem for me is that I need to come by a new motherboard for my PS3 (mine has a CPU and/or GPU that consistently disconnects from the board, even after I've repaired it three times...) and my hard drive is completely full. And I don't even have all of the GT5 updates installed. I don't know if I'll be able to transfer all of my data on to a new, specifically DLC for other games when I DO some by a new drive, but it'll be a good $100-175 to get my PS3 up and running again. Part of the reason I was hoping for GT6 on PS4 was because of the PS3 data transfer mentioned at the conference, but after all that you've said, I'm actually thinking it's more worth my time and money (for now) to get my PS3 back up and running. I think GT6 will be enough of an influence to turn me away from the already convincing tide of new games coming to the PS4.

So now summarizing and back on topic - with the information you've posted, I'm thinking GT6 on PS3 (and maybe ONLY PS3) is quite a likelihood. But it may not do as much as you've said, but it could likely get damned close...

Yeah, but while updates and add-on are all well and good, in the industry today you need to have a perfect product at launch because THAT is what gets reviewed, and THAT is what gets remembered when people discuss the game going forward. Look at all the negative reviews and critiques GT5 had at launch, were those reviews revised when the game was revised? 99.9% of the time....no. And even when there is a rare reviewer who revises reviews with updates, the updated reviews aren't what was remembered. The first impression is what will always be left, and that why people still use the same old arguments to bash GT5, even when they are things that have been fixed. You can correct them, sure. But in the next thread there's more people saying the same thing.

Does anyone mention that the PS3 version of Skyrim is FAR less buggy than the 360 version now that it's been all patched up? No.

When people talk about Bayonetta do they mention how bad it is on PS3, or do they mention how the PS3 version got all patched up and runs nicely?

One of my favorite games this gen: Ghostbusters. I can't bring that game up without hearing how bad the PS3 version looks and only ran in 480p. They don't know anything about how that was just a glitch in the programming making it display in SD which was fixed and then looked even better than the 360 version once it was displaying properly in HD.

That's why in my opinion, even chancing releasing a Gran Turismo within the first year of PS4's launch is a no win situation because there's no way it would be perfect, or it would be forever delayed....or both like GT5 was, and would be ripped apart critically. And also to even get decent sales to make your money back with a PS4 launch GT6, you'd have to assume that basically every single person who buys a PS4 in the first year will also be buying GT6, and that's just not realistic. 1 in 7 would probably be more realistic though optimistic. So based on the cost of making a GT, and figuring publishers get half of the $60 retail price of games.........you tell me if it makes any sense to have a GT excusive to PS4 any time soon without being on PS3 as well.

A $60 million game like a GT6 HAS to sell 2 million copies at launch price to even make their money back. And even GT can't sell that many copies without close to 20 million install base. That's 1 in 10 gamers with that hardware. There's no way PS4....even as popular as I foresee it will be, will have a 20 million install base within a year, and CERTAINLY not in the launch window.

If other Sony employees mention that GT6 is going to release this year on PS3, then it starts to become believable. Otherwise, everything else we've heard, from Kaz or through cryptic messages, points to GT6 being a PS4 game.

So the only thing in favour of a PS3 release is also the only actual evidence we have?

I don't know that it is or isn't the only evidence personally. I haven't been keeping up on such things lately. There may be other supporting evidence, but mostly I have seen little more than logical speculation, mislabeled has "evidence".

I do know that Sony Europe exec's historically have a habit of making unreliable statements about GT games, and that the words "evidence", and "confirmed" are often highly abused whenever they speak. It's almost become tradition prior to a new GT game.

So yeah, given past history, a left field statement such has this is unreliable on it's own. It may lead to some truth, and it may not. No way to know for sure until all involved parties, namely Sony and PD, start getting their stories together, and start getting official about statements and press.

Until the main parties actually do that, as far has I know, all we have here is an unconfirmed mention, from a historically unreliable source.

I'm sorry, is somebody forcing you to drop your PS3 once you buy a PS4?

People buying the PS4 expect to have access to the latest and greatest games. Thats why PS3 games released around Holiday 2013 or later like Watchdogs, Destiny, and Diablo 3 will all be PS4 titles as well.

Theres no way Uncharted 4 will be a PS3 title. No way the next Killzone will be, Infamous, etc etc or any new Sony exclusives. Why should GT6 be a PS3 title?

Once I plug in my PS4, its unlikely the PS3 will ever be turned on for long periods of time again.

Except GT3 came out over a year after the system launched. A system that didn't have nearly the same levels of competition that Sony now deals with. Just because that was the best-selling GT, does not mean it'd be a miracle-worker in the system-selling perspective for PS4. Especially considering, back then, the game was riding a lot more purely positive critical response.

It was less then a year after PS2's launch for NA and EU. Around 8 months to be more exact. Competition wont be as stiff this gen. The Nintendo Wii U is struggling. The Next Box wont get a 12 month head start again. 599 US dollars is unlikely. Sony is set up to do much better this gen. A smart move would be to bundle GT6 with a PS4 summer 2014, after the launch rush has died down and after Drive Club has had its time in the sun. 8 months after launch just like GT3. Repeat the past, at least the good parts of it.

GT5 did not enjoy as much critical success as previous titles but it wasnt a complete flop. The core of the game, the driving physics, were pretty good and the title received substantial updates over the first 24 months of its existence. There were many self inflicted flaws but most gamers know the massive potential upside a new game could bring, and how the numerous silly mistakes could be righted quite easily.

Because of that myself and Im sure many others are willing to give PD another chance. I think its fair to say GT6 on PS3 has as much of a chance as flopping as GT6 on the PS4. With GT6 on the PS3 theres plenty to worry about, the graphics upgrade will be minor at best, leaving the reception of the game down to gameplay, whereas on the PS4 the large leap in graphics is likely to excite gamers enough to the point they are more forgiving of flaws in the gameplay. And Im sure they'll like the fact they wont have to wait 4 years for a GT game to appear on the console.

I think it really boils down to two juxtapositions, I'll ignore that I'd prefer GT6 on PS4.

If the PS4 is released "WELL" within 2-3 years, it doesn't make sense for GT6 to be released for such a short period of time.

If the PS4 is released in more than 3 years (and I personally see this as extremely unlikely, despite the '10 year life cycle', and especially due to the recent PS4 news), then GT6 on PS3 might actually make some sense.

There's plenty of users, its a tried system, it'd still sell like hot cakes.

Yes, it won't be there to help sell the PS4, but if there's no PS4 then there's no point.

So what there is then is this. PS4 soon? GT6 not soon, PS4 not soon? GT6 soon.

I'd rather wait.
---
Dear PD,

If you get this, please know that your games are great (not perfect, but great) and that is often attributed to the time and effort you place in them, if you rush a GT6 for a console that has been flogged a good 3-4 years past its expiration date, you'll need to start again for PS4 anyway, and it'll only delay what a great game you could make, on a more modern console (I struggle to say cutting edge).

Please do not release GT6 for PS3, it won't be helping the very long list of Sony's mistakes, or it's bottom line in the medium to long term.

Regards,

Conza
---

Last edited:
Not confirmed though, just expected. Plus this report has just come out.

The bad news just keeps coming for PS4 fans, with a recent report suggesting that at least one of the "Big Three" gaming regions (United States, Europe, Japan) might not see a PlayStation 4 release date before the end of 2013 after all...
It was suspected even before the Sony 2013 Event that Europe wouldn't get any PS4s until spring. March has been stated in a number of articles since. It's not really bad news either - just the way things are.

On another note, I'm really surprised at the number of posts maintaining a PS4 release for GT6 when all it takes is to read a few pages (well, seven) of the most recent posts since Classic put up the sound-clip on page 20.

All of the info is there - Sony have even confirmed details will be released about GT6 in the near future.

I also fail to see why GT6 should be assumed to be a poor substitute for GT7. Let the game come and then make your observations - or not. The choice is entirely yours people - I for one will enjoy playing it and hope to see GT7 with all the new-style content as and when it arrives.

Good luck to all with the incredible amount of hot air being generated by this topic :)

It was suspected even before the Sony 2013 Event that Europe wouldn't get any PS4s until spring. March has been stated in a number of articles since. It's not really bad news either - just the way things are.

On another note, I'm really surprised at the number of posts maintaining a PS4 release for GT6 when all it takes is to read a few pages (well, seven) of the most recent posts since Classic put up the sound-clip on page 20.

All of the info is there - Sony have even confirmed details will be released about GT6 in the near future.

I also fail to see why GT6 should be assumed to be a poor substitute for GT7. Let the game come and then make your observations - or not. The choice is entirely yours people - I for one will enjoy playing it and hope to see GT7 with all the new-style content as and when it arrives.

Good luck to all with the incredible amount of hot air being generated by this topic :)

I'm not the least surprised.

While I don't pretend to know what console GT6 will come out on, I do know that speculation based on old quotes and pieced together tidbits of information, no matter how logical the speculation, is still just speculation.

Situations change, and previous information may no longer apply with time. It may have been false from the start, on purpose, so has to hide the real plan.
Nobody here knows what the real story is, in it's entirety. They say they do, they insist it's clearly all there, and some will end up correct in the end, but nobody has been proven to have the answer yet, no matter how hard they may wish it so.

Some will assume that their own argument is so infallible that it is undeniable fact. A sure sign that it is not, is when people can logically argue against it, and many have. That doesn't make anyone right, or wrong, or full of hot air. It just means the theories have yet to be truly proven has fact, despite what each side may think of the infallibility of their own theory.

I also know one other thing.

Suggesting that those who do not see another's side has being full of hot air a great way not to convince people of their error in their thinking. If anything, it will only solidify their resolve.

Number of tracks doesn't matter, the tech doesn't change because of the size of the content. I also would like to see these better weather effects you are talking about (at 1080p60). There's a reason why almost no other racing game on PS3 has this feature and why it's not in Forza 4.

Yeah, GG are kings of post processing, the lens flare in Killzone 2 and 3 isn't better than in GT5 though. GT5 has dynamic real time lighting, which changes with the time of day and weather, shadows change in direction, size and density, light reflections and lens flares change, the car's paint and reflection maps change etc. All in real time at 1080p60.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but GT5 doesn't do all of the above with regard to weather, particle effects, etc and maintain 60fps.

GT5 has a dynamic framerate that can and does drop below 60fps.....

Source - http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/forza-4-vs-gran-turismo-5

...dropping in the past to 45-50 fps could occur without particle or weather effects until PD patched it to remove trackside detail to put less stress on the engine.

Weather can also see a massive drop in frame rate.....

Source - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=3

...with 3D dropping it even more.

Please don't imply that GT5 is either true 1080P (because its not) or that its locked to a solid 60 fps (because its not), the latter was the compromise that PD had to make with GT5 to be able to put these effects in place.

ya no way gt5 is 60fps all the time, just go race at special stage route 5. Once you hit the long straight with all the lights on either side of you, good bye frame rate. I avoid that stage now.

Looks like we are not the only ones talking about this....

TheSixthAxis
As we reported back at the weekend there, Sony’s Michael Denny said in an interview that Gran Turismo 6 would be heading to the PlayStation 3 rather than – as most expected – the PlayStation 4. The curious thing is that – with a few days of reflection to have a proper think – this really isn’t such a crazy idea as we might have first thought it was.

The concept of a “Gran Turismo 6″ is hardly out there, though.

Nearly a year ago we got our first confirmation that another Gran Turismo game was in production, with the team jetting about photographing new tracks like Bathurst. We’ve heard more since – GT Academy drivers mentioning the next game, for example. It’s coming, not least because it’s one of Sony’s biggest IPs, at least in Europe where it tends to sell like hotcakes.

But why PS3? It’s true that Gran Turismo 5 felt hamstrung by the hardware, cruelly delayed at the last moment and still seemingly rushed, but that was because it was trying to be a catch-all poster-child for everything the PS3 promised at launch. 1080p, 3D, 60FPS – none of which it seemed to manage when combined with any other – the frame rate staggered frequently and the game launched with considerable tearing, for example.

And then there was the issue of the severe difference between the Premium and the Standard cars. The former still look incredible and the latter lot look like PS2 leftovers given a slight buffing – in tandem, on a course, it was jarring, but in the garage you’d be mistaken for thinking you were looking at a PSP rather than a PS3. Ugly shadows, poor smoke effects and barren courses also felt like slightly uncomfortable last-gen hangovers.

But that was then. 2010, remember? In the two year period are we really to assume that Polyphony have been doing nothing but figuring out how best to approach a PS4 version of the series? It’s far more likely that they’ve been refining the tech, balancing out the visuals (seriously, 720p will do just fine) and expanding the number of vehicles that actually look like they belong on the PS3. After all, they’d port just fine to a PS4 game down the line, the fidelity of the modeling so high.

But the biggest issue is the current install base of the PS3. It’s massive. Everybody that might be interested in another Gran Turismo already owns the console that it’s apparently coming out on, and there’s no need to buy anything else. Whilst next-gen titles are all rather exciting, the take up for the PlayStation 4 won’t be nearly large enough to sustain two top tier racing games for some time – launching GT6 on current-gen makes economical sense.

That way, Evolution’s promising looking Driveclub isn’t competition, it’s a long-tail social title that doesn’t necessarily need big numbers at launch. It’s likely to come with some kind of subscription model that’ll mean players will be dipping in and out of it for a year or so – Gran Turismo 6 is a totally different style of experience and one that most PS3 gamers will be already familiar with.

It’s not like Polyphony need worry too much about the handling (it’s still sublime) or the breadth of content (the number of cars and tracks is probably enough if they manage to get a few more courses in there) – Gran Turismo 6 might end up being an incremental update that fixes the last game’s major issues and sends the PS3 out on a rather unexpected swansong. That’s reason enough to think that staying with current-gen is actually the smartest decision.

So whilst we’d all like a PlayStation 4 Gran Turismo down the line, perhaps now isn’t the best timeslot for it. Get another PS3 game out there, let Driveclub bring in the punters and then allow Polyphony to work their automotive magic buoyed by a huge pile content (that’s likely being built with future platforms in mind) that’s easily transferred over. Yeah?
Source - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/02...easing-gran-turismo-6-on-ps3-rather-than-ps4/

PD.. if GT6 arrive to PS3 i'll be very disappointed.

After see DriveClub (an arcade game) PD launches GT6 for PS3 is punch in my stomach.

That all makes perfect sense to me, but that doesn't mean Sony / PD see it that way (despite Mr. Denny's "slip"). I wonder if they could make use of some of the planned cross-platform malarkey with the Vita ( / general mobile devices) and PS4, meaning PS4 owners could also play a PS3 GT6 - it'd be a nice way to showcase the tech and general approach, and GAIKAI already works (ish, ignoring the latency).

Still a waiting game, for now.

Back