Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

Andalucía looks amazing.

gt4ztuog.gif

gt2bkurc.gif

Interesting, or possibly a mistake.

Playstation.com
plus you'll also be able to create your very own personalised in-game car to race with.

Kaz was carefully vague about this, not mentioning anything in particular - merely stating you can personalise your car which can simply mean "You can paint it with a paint chip and change the rims"

However this wording makes it apparent that it's certainly a separate feature.

Exactly what I thought.

Me too :

-Silverstone Circuit- Confirmed

Grand Prix Circuit
National Circuit
Southern Circuit
Stowe Circuit

-Brands Hatch-

GP Circuit
Indy Circuit

-Seattle-

Seattle Circuit
Seattle Circuit / Reverse
Seattle Circuit Short
Seattle Circuit Short / Reverse

-Apricot Hill-

Apricot Hill
Apricot Hill / Reverse

-Mt Panorama- Confirmed

Mt Panorama Circuit

-Special Stage Route 11-

Special Stage Route 11
Special Stage Route 11 / Reverse

-Willow Springs International Motorsports Park-

Big Willow
Horse Theif Mile
Willow Springs Kart Track
Streets of Willow Springs

7 new tracks, 19 locations

Another thing I am hoping they do in this iteration is add manufacturer exclusive races back in from GT4. Ahh the memories.....

Something I'm a little surprised about is that despite the mention of personalisation of cars and screenshots of tons of wing shapes and rims, no one has mentioned the likelihood that GT6 may give us loads of parts to bolt on but the trade off will be that few or none of these will be "official" mods. So we can create personalised cars literally, and perhaps only create an approximation of "real" mods by finding the closest match we can. This has always been the case to some extent but will now be more open ended perhaps?

It's been suggested to me that I post my thoughts on the GT6 demo in here as I have just written them out for Jordan elsewhere, I got to spend about an hour or so testing the combos and getting comfortable with it during the 15th anniversary event. Here are my thoughts:

I actually spent more than an hour on the GT6 demo, both the previous build and the last minute update build that Kaz and his team brought to the show that we installed literally less than an hour before people got on the pods.

Now I spent a loooooooooooooooooot of time on GT5 Prologue and GT5 on the wheel, so I felt the change in physics straight away. I drove without driving aids except ABS set to 1, SRF was turned off, and the cars were much more sensitive and jittery, especially the race cars. The Kazunori GTR from Nurb 24hr was especially difficult. So you had to be much more gentle on throttle and careful with steering input but the smoother you were, the more reward there was. Cars like the Dino and Countach were *utterly* sublime. The lower power meant you could really coax them around the tight International circuit and it was such a pleasure. Definite improvement in physics, Lucas agreed with us as well that you could feel more of the car's weight shift and behaviour and where grip was - that's not to say it was any easier to hold onto the grip! Alex (GTP_Ingram - former UK GT Academy Silverstone finalist), myself and even the Academy champs were spinning quite regularly in the first few laps, even at seemingly innocuous corners. I think the race tyres are more challenging than before, but the lower grip tyres are even more satisfying now.

By the end of the day I was desperate to spend more time on it because the physics were most pleasant, but for sure without driving aids the game is now even more of a challenge than before.

Regarding dampers, I actually don't think I have any useful feedback. All I know is the rumbles on Silverstone were brutal if you hit them with any sort of decent steering angle going on with the settings I was running with. Only the GT3 SLS AMG was able to negotiate them with any sort of composure. That car was fabulous by the way, could push and push and push.

The KTM test driver was quite impressed with the X-bow's physics in the game, so that's quite an endorsement. Although he did feel it felt slower and less grippy in the game than he felt it should be, but we explained that he was comparing it to the Nurb GTR which was on race tyres and mucho powerful. Poor guy spent nearly 20 laps trying to get close to Alex's ghost :)

All the best
Maz

That was a good read, glad to know the physics are vastly improved and people (albeit people that know how cars really act on a circuit) enjoy it over GT5. I know sounds and stuff need improved but really, I want to be able to drive the car realistically then worry about the rest.

Amazing feedback Synwraith. WOW.

What you think about the sounds? Improvements? Or the build is too early to know?

To be honest, because I never got to try it with headphones, a lot of the background noise often masked the clarity of the sound from the demo. I am guessing the build probably is quite early - certainly the build of demo that was on before the last revision ended up being very buggy. We couldn't exit the race screen without it crashing, even restarting in the pause menu meant we had to reset. The frame rate for the demo was noticeably low too, something everyone familiar with GT5 commented on immediately.

I must say, thanks to the amount of time we spent on the Silverstone International circuit, I've grown to absolutely love that layout. The high speed first section is exhilarating and it was a surprise how early you had to brake and turn in to get optimum entry and exit...and goodness help you if you missed your turn in and had to take a second bite at the cherry! It was extremely satisfying to nail the late apexes of some of those tight and twisty mid-section corners. Getting on the power too early did result in some quite merciless snap-oversteer in just about all the cars I spent a significant amount of time in (Countach, Dino, SLS GT3, Nurb GTR, Ford GT, 370Z Academy edition non-tuned).

To give an idea of lap time, the SLS GT3 was capable doing 1'02 at the Silverstone International layout on Racing Hard without aids, the 370Z Academy edition on sports soft was clocking 1'12 - this in the hands of experienced GT wheel drivers.

In the last section of the track, after the chicane, the double right-hander seemed to work well if you got the cars into a very slight drift and just worked the power with a low steering angle. To begin with as I was getting used to the new and sensitive phyisics on the powerful cars I found it easier to almost make multiple small inputs as the smooth fluid approach seemed to be sending me into spins - but with time the latter approach proved faster as you would expect. Both Alex and myself were left wondering whether our first laps were the result of rustiness on our part or a definite shift towards higher sensitivity physics. I think we concluded it was a healthy mix of both.

Something else to add, Alex commented when watching the Academy champions how they were throwing the cars into the corners with super-late braking tactics, and when he was driving against their ghosts he was noticing that while he was quicker on exits in a number of spots, the Academy/real drivers were amazing on the brakes. After he saw how much more beans he could give the car on brakes, he found a lot of lap time. Hopefully Alex can chime in and give some more of his own insight in this area - and I am sure his impressions will be slightly different to my own.

Regarding any comparison with sim-racing PC physics, my only point of reference would by GTR Evo, and I wouldn't say the physics of what I drove in GT6 Demo - for the time I drove it - were more similar to that than GT5, but that's not any sort of detailed comparison so best to wait on that one. There was definitely the whole 'Gran Turismo feel' evident in the demo physics. I do recall that in the high speed left hander of turn 2 at Silverstone I could really sense the roll in the cars at that speed and under high aero load. That was really brilliant, I felt, especially in the SLS AMG GT3.

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Synwraith

Good read! Thanks!

Did you tried cockpit view? Shadows in cockpit are better? I can't see them in videos we've seen so far...:nervous:

How the frame-rate? It's silky smooth 60FPS? Replay is 30FPS?

(sorry - I am sorta graphics guy :))

Last edited:
200 of these new automobiles, there is a possibility that this new generation of NASCAR....

That'd be nice, but it's hardly worth the effort if Daytona, Indy, and Motegi will be the only three ovals in GT6. I'm not saying include all 21 NASCAR Sprint Cup ovals, but 6-8 with a bit of variety would be very acceptable.

- Daytona
- Indy
- Motegi
- Atlanta
- Bristol
- Martinsville
- Richmond
- Darlington

I don't expect this many NASCAR tracks in GT6 (or any more than what we have now for that matter), but I don't think asking for only 1/3 of the tracks is too much.

How the frame-rate? It's silky smooth 60FPS? Replay is 30FPS?

(sorry - I am sorta graphics guy :))
He said framerate was worse than in GT5, but that's probably just because it's a very early and still buggy build as he said.

I am guessing the build probably is quite early - certainly the build of demo that was on before the last revision ended up being very buggy. We couldn't exit the race screen without it crashing, even restarting in the pause menu meant we had to reset. The frame rate for the demo was noticeably low too, something everyone familiar with GT5 commented on immediately.

@Synwraith Awesome feedback! 👍 It sounds like you had lots of fun. Now I really really can't wait to try out the GT6 demo! :D The physics sound very exciting to test out!

dr_slump
He said framerate was worse than in GT5, but that's probably just because it's a very early and still buggy build as he said.

I thought that Maz was saying the one before the latest revision was the super buggy one, and his one was good..

Back