Gran Turismo 6 coming to PS3

GT6 will in fact (as stated) be released on PS3.

Thread done.

:lol:

But that's exactly what they did with GT5

No it's not. With GT5 they planned on releasing a stopgap title (Vision Gran Turismo, that eventually became GT:HD and was then cancelled), then they released GT5 Prologue after the system had been out for a year and spent a lot of time building it up as the game to buy a PS3 for, then they released GT5 proper 3 years after that.

No but obviously if GT6 was released on PS3 in the next year then GT7 on PS4 wouldn't come for another 3+ years. Sony will want it earlier than that, they don't want another GT5 coming far too late into the cycle. They'll surely want it within 2 years and if a PS3 game is going out that isn't going to happen.

Yes, it isn't exactly straight foward. Both options have certain downsides (especially the potential lost PS4's sold) but when you consider how far into the PS3 generation GT5 was released, it's not impossible that Sony wouldn't mind doing it again.

:lol:

No it's not. With GT5 they planned on releasing a stopgap title (Vision Gran Turismo, that eventually became GT:HD and was then cancelled), then they released GT5 Prologue after the system had been out for a year and spent a lot of time building it up as the game to buy a PS3 for, then they released GT5 proper 3 years after that.

So release a GT7 Prologue

That's still about 60 million potential PS4 sales if you're going to look at this so broadly.

Wow

Has any other game site mentioned this?

Oh the thing about why people don't want GT6 on the PS3 is that now the GT7 will be light years away we want our next gen stuff asap

pretty much this... I will buy GT6 on PS3 if it comes to this, but also I'm hoping that PD is hard at work on GT7 if that's the case.. I don't want another GT5 fiasco... When I buy PS4 at launch I pretty much expect next-gen GT within a year of launch.

Yes, it isn't exactly straight foward. Both options have certain downsides (especially the potential lost PS4's sold) but when you consider how far into the PS3 generation GT5 was released, it's not impossible that Sony wouldn't mind doing it again.

All I know is that whatever happens it's going to be rather annoying probably having to wait four months from now to find out at E3. Four more months of speculation, theories and guessing.

All I know is that whatever happens it's going to be rather annoying probably having to wait four months from now to find out at E3. Four more months of speculation, theories and guessing.

The joys of Polyphony marketing (or lack there of)!

It has been a rather long time since we heard anything official from them.

Release it when? For the purposes of the comparison, release it about a year after the PS4 comes out when they are busy releasing GT6 on the PS3?

Well one person here thinks PD are concurrently working on GT6 for PS3 and GT7:P for PS4. I'm not sure which PD he thinks are capable of this but yeah.

Just seen an interview that Jack Tretton gave to Forbes...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2013/02/21/sony-playstation-4-jack-tretton/2/

They really doesn't look worried to sell a lot of PS4 in the beginning... one thing is true: the PS3 will still sell a lot just like happened with the PS2 and PS1 in the past. They stopped the production of the PS2 just this year...

I'm starting to see a GT6 on PS3 very much possible right now... GT is the definitive system seller for them. It's all really... weird. We know they'll make a lot of cash anyway... but it's... weird.

This is what frustrates me the most to be honest. Surely if this was from another developer's perspective they would comment on the matter.

This is what frustrates me the most to be honest. Surely if this was from another developer's perspective they would comment on the matter.

Making a joke on the subject, what is most prone to happen:

A- PD gets a proper PR and starts to communicate with us.
B- Next GT have 4000 cars

Damn hell, I would vote B.

For GT6 to succeed on PS4 in the early PS4 years,they should look at GT3 and what made it perfect and increase that on the PS4 (more cars for example and damage alongside tracks).

It's not much less realistic than selling GT6 to 100% of PS3 owners. Despite the popularity of GT, I can safely say that most PS3 owners I know don't have the game.

GT5 sold over 9 million units and is the consoles highest selling game.

1. Release an updated GT5 as GT6 on PS3
2. Over 60 million potential customers
3. Profit
4. Work on GT7
5. Sell on PS4 when it has a large enough install base to actually make money (same stratergy used on GT5)
6. Profit

Or

1.Release GT6 on PS4
2. ???? potential customers
3. Profit?

The boat for option A has alread sailed. PS4 may not have as many potential customers, but GT6 helps sell PS4 consoles which is just as important if not more important to Sony then software sales alone. Nobod is going to say, "Hey, GT6! I'm going to buy a PS3 for that!" You either have the PS3 now or you dont. The dont have to sell 10 million units again to make a profit. A large portion of GT5 can be carried over to GT6 on the PS4 reducing development time and costs. Phototravel quality cars, "premium" tracks can all pretty much be carried over on a 1:1 basis.

With PD being so tight lipped about GT6 for over a year now theres no doubt they have been focusing on PS4 development. If the were going to release it on PS3 that time should have been spent developing for the PS3 and we should have seen GT6 by now. Theres only one real reason they can be holding back info for so long, and thats GT6 is on PS4.

As for your option B you're forgetting competition. Forza 5 on the Next Box and Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3 would be suicide for the GT brand. GT fans like how the games have alwas been one step ahead of Forza in terms of graphics. How will the y react when Forza 5 looks 10x better then GT6? Along with advanced physics and AI only possible on next gen?

GT5 sold over 9 million units and is the consoles highest selling game.

That makes 10 million a more realistic PS3 sales number. But it's probably still optimistic. You're counting on every GT5 owner wanting another PS3 game. It's clear that not everyone wants that.

Secondly, there is more reason to buy PS4 than just GT6. Anyone who buys the system for Killzone or whatever will have a PS4 and may have a mild (or better) interest in racing games. Will they want to go get a PS3 game?

Saying that "PS3's have been sold, so GT6 on PS3 will make more money" is simplistic. It doesn't seem like anyone is trying to figure out which system will generate more sales so much as people are just clinging to numbers without really understanding them.

Of those 9 million sales for another PS3 game you're going to lose the early PS4 adopters or those moving to the next Xbox, you're going to lose the people who hated it, you're going to lose the people who got it cheap or in a bundle, you're going to lose the people that doesn't care for more of the same on the same console. I'd be surprised if GT6 on PS3 sold as well as even GT5.

That makes 10 million a more realistic PS3 sales number. But it's probably still optimistic. You're counting on every GT5 owner wanting another PS3 game. It's clear that not everyone wants that.

Secondly, there is more reason to buy PS4 than just GT6. Anyone who buys the system for Killzone or whatever will have a PS4 and may have a mild (or better) interest in racing games. Will they want to go get a PS3 game?

Saying that "PS3's have been sold, so GT6 on PS3 will make more money" is simplistic. It doesn't seem like anyone is trying to figure out which system will generate more sales so much as people are just clinging to numbers without really understanding them.

I agree with you... but for them, maybe selling 6 million copies of GT6 on PS3 it's enough money to go for it (let's consider 10 million of GT5 and 60% of those would get GT6). A big part of the assets are done...Why not?

6 millions x 50 bucks = A reason to do it. Inject part of this cash on GT7 PS4 development and you are good.

Even if they sell only 5 million copies of GT6 on PS3 it's still profitable...

Of those 9 million sales for another PS3 game you're going to lose the early PS4 adopters or those moving to the next Xbox, you're going to lose the people who hated it, you're going to lose the people who got it cheap or in a bundle, you're going to lose the people that doesn't care for more of the same on the same console. I'd be surprised if GT6 on PS3 sold as well as even GT5.

That definitely would happen, but how many people from GT fanbase would go for the next Xbox?

We expect that PS4 will be released in December - and we hope that the first Gran Turismo game for this console will be released within the first few months. However if thus requires a huge amount of work, and after watching the PS4 stream - I think it probably will do (the potential graphics to show the weave of the carbon fibre seem to mean that the modelling is far above what is currently available on PS3).

And consider this, very little DLC, makes me think that PD have either been preparing GT6 for PS4 using a development pack, or possibily holding back DLC for a GT6 release on PS3. Whilst still developing GT7 for a slightly later PS4 release (maybe November 2014).

So I can see 2 Gran Turismo games being released within a couple of years! I'd buy both!

That definitely would happen, but how many people from GT fanbase would go for the next Xbox?

I might. The unfortunate thing for me is that I can't justify buying a next-gen console at the normal price; I only use my 360 for Forza games, but since I bought it at a massive discount it wasn't a problem.

Sony is still likely to have me as a customer for the PS4, since both my girlfriend and I prefer their exclusives, but when it comes to racing games, I no longer have any sort of "allegiance". I find other racing games more fun than GT5, and it's reflected in my total play time with them.

This talk of a PS3 version of GT6 is surprising. I really did expect it to be a next-gen title, and as others have mentioned, releasing it on PS3 means we're likely looking at another long lead time for the proper next-gen sequel. I don't think GT can survive another delayed release, like GT5's, so late into a system's life. On the other hand; I'm far more likely to pick up a PS3 version of the next GT installment than a PS4 one; if it's the latter, I'm unlikely to be buying it on release day, but $60 is a much easier pill to swallow for a PS3 copy. And besides; all this talk of PS3's "limitations", when the majority of GT5's shortcomings had little to do with the technical side.

Because they were still selling.

Plenty of demand for it existed past the release of the PS3 in markets such as Africa, etc.
Also from those who wanted to play Timesplitters and GT4 again like me :P

Latest Posts

Back