Gran Turismo 6: Do you use a DS3 controller or a steering wheel?

• Thread starter Mikey24
  • 181 comments

What do you use?

• Total voters
Number of People who uses wheels is more than people who uses controller? Shouldn't be the other way?

I want to get the G27 but sadly it doesn't work on the ps4.

Number of People who uses wheels is more than people who uses controller? Shouldn't be the other way?

Not after this long, on a GT specific forum. If this question was asked on a general gaming forum at launch, I'm sure it would have been a very different story.

Not after this long, on a GT specific forum. If this question was asked on a general gaming forum at launch, I'm sure it would have been a very different story.
*cry's for not owning a wheel*
*begs for his family to buy him a wheel*

The GT5 TT stats show that DS3 users outnumber wheel users about 4:1 among the tens of thousands that enter TT's. If I had to guess about the entire player base, I'd say the numbers are much higher in favour of the DS3 simply because wheel players are probably more likely to be more dedicated to sim racing and more likely to enter TT's.

I was somewhat intoxicated and got very lucky I think. It was second hand but barely used and in all original packaging. Even had the warning about touching it during calibration still attached!
I paid £190 for my G27 I got around 3 weeks ago. Had I found the same deal and was willing to cash out an mere extra £60 (which I'd happily do for a higher end wheel) I'd be laughing. You basically got a new T500 for the same price of a G27 in the higher price range (I've seen them go as low as £169 and as high as £300).

I paid £190 for my G27 I got around 3 weeks ago. Had I found the same deal and was willing to cash out an mere extra £60 (which I'd happily do for a higher end wheel) I'd be laughing. You basically got a new T500 for the same price of a G27 in the higher price range (I've seen them go as low as £169 and as high as £300).

Yeah, very much luck of the draw on that one. Looking for a shifter at the moment!

I used a controller up until GT5P in 2008 when I decided to get a G25. Looking to upgrade to a T300RS in the near future though.

neGcon

no, that's a lie, I don't have enough adapters to do that, instead, a DS3 with my own bizarre layout
Left Stick to steer
Right Stick up to accelerate
L2 for brake (I find switching from stick up to stick down much slower and more difficult)
Right Stick down to reverse
R1 Gear up
R2 Gear down
L1 Nitro
D-pad down for looking behind

G27.

But sometimes when I just want to turn a few quick laps I'll just stick with the DualShock. It takes time to pull out my full wheel setup and get it setup.

Then I was like....:ouch::ouch:
Tell me about it. In my defense though I live in a one bedroom apartment so limited room for a cockpit and if I was to move into a two bedroom apartment for the sole purpose to spend more money on a cockpit then it would be fair to suggest I have serious mental problems so the chair is absolutely fine :)

I Used an KHS Racing controller for years
HKS Hipermax iii.jpg

Until I tried the Thrustmaster T80
Thrustmaster T80.jpg

I still use and enjoy my Thrustmaster T80, It's a very precision inexpensive wheel, I love it, Now i'm waiting for GT7 before investing into a more expensive wheel, The NEW!!!Thrustmaster T150 was released 9/3/2015, in stores in early Oct
Thrustmaster T 150RS.jpg

for about £169.00 Euros or $199.00 US Dollars, The pedals and Manual H-Pattern shifter is modular, so you can add the three padels or shifter as optional, but not the add-on wheels, So I may still get the Thrusmaster T300 RS,
T300RS.jpg
because I want the the Ferrari F1 Add On Wheel for F1, LMP, and DTM racing.
t500_f1_wheel_add-on_4_.jpg

A Wheel is the ultimate racing experience, It really improved my lap times.

Attachments

• DS3 Racing Controllers.png
    DS3 Racing Controllers.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I Used an Racing controller for years
View attachment 442281

Until I tried the Thrustmaster T80
View attachment 442282

I use A Thrustmaster T80, very precision inexpensive wheel, I love it, Now i'm waiting for GT7 before investing into a more expensive wheel, The NEW!!!Thrustmaster T150 was released 9/3/2015, in stores in early Oct
View attachment 442264

for about £169.00 British pounds or $257.00 US Dollars, The pedals and Manual H-Pattern shifter is modular, so you can add the three padels or shifter as optional, but not the add-on wheels, So I may still get the Thrusmaster T300 RS,
View attachment 442271
because I want the the Ferrari F1 Add On Wheel for F1, LMP, and DTM racing.

A Wheel is the ultimate racing experience, It really improved my lap times.
I too have a T80. It really stinks that pedals don't work though in GT6 :guilty:

I too have a T80. It really stinks that pedals don't work though in GT6 :guilty:

My Thrustmaster T80 works GREAT!! Precision In GT6, Project CARS, F1 2015 and Driveclub, I just want more wheel rotation, The T150 has it, up 1080°, but the T300 is just a little bit better, got to have one, Just waiting for GT7.:D

I use DS3, but I mapped my throttle and brakes to R2 and L2 respectively. NFS: Shift forced me to use such a control scheme, which annoyed me at first because I was used to X and Square, but then I realized quickly that managing throttle and braking is much easier with L2 and R2, since they give you a wider range of controlled input than X and Square. 👍

Used the DS3 for years, then about 4 months ago I stumbled upon a DFGT on Facebook for $35! I scooped that up and have been wrestling that noisy contraption ever since! Enjoying every minute of it too! Still have to drift with the DS3 if I want to score decent points though...

Used the DS3 for years, then about 4 months ago I stumbled upon a DFGT on Facebook for $35! I scooped that up and have been wrestling that noisy contraption ever since! Enjoying every minute of it too! Still have to drift with the DS3 if I want to score decent points though...
It may feel strange drifting on a wheel, but keep at it. With practice, it only gets better and better. Once you really get it down pat, you might not even want to use the controller (not that I'm any drift pro or whatever).

To this day i'm still using a DS3 controller for GT6. i also tried the Logi G27 back in July and it was fantastic, i wish if i could stayed longer with that wheel.
Currently thinking about buying the Thrustmaster T150, it's a nice wheel for beginners entering into sim-racing but sadly it will probably reach here much later and it could have much higher price tag.

Fanatec CSR and Elite pedals since '11. Never touched the DS3 again...

Was going for the G27 here in Brazil but got a better deal when i visited the US. Glad that it also works (kinda, for now) on the PS4 too...

Its mounted on a pretty decent stand (picture) i got here when i came back. Rock solid build for both, still tip top after 4 years.

1378168487_3.jpg

Last edited:
Back