Gran Turismo 6: Do you use a DS3 controller or a steering wheel?

• Thread starter Mikey24
  • 181 comments

What do you use?

• Total voters
I can't imagine anyone buying an automobile driving/racing simulator without a steering wheel. The controller is sold with it so it fits in the box and kids can play other games—not grownups racing. I bought a wheel the same day I bought GT6 and don't even know or want to know how to use a controller. I might add that I have now have over 13,000 online races (173,000 miles) under my belt and have won most of them.

WELL I KNOW FOR MYSELF THE CONTROLLER AFTER TEN YEARS HAS BECOME THE STEERING WHEEL BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT TAKES MORE SKILL AND CARE FULL ATTENTION TO DRIVE FAST AND BREAK RESPONSE AND INS AND OUTS OF THE VEHICLE TRAVELING THAN SIMPLISTIC STEERING WHEEL
Would have to disagree, there's many things to get a grasp of with using a wheel. I was a DS3 user for many years and the learning curve to using a DS3 was a lot shorter compared to the learning curve of mastering a wheel. Theres not much skill to learning how to use analogue's more that smoothness has to be learned, where as using a wheel there's a lot more coordination between feet and hands - with the most difficult being to learn how to counter everything when its going wrong.

I can't imagine anyone buying an automobile driving/racing simulator without a steering wheel. The controller is sold with it so it fits in the box and kids can play other games—not grownups racing. I bought a wheel the same day I bought GT6 and don't even know or want to know how to use a controller. I might add that I have now have over 13,000 online races (173,000 miles) under my belt and have won most of them.

What's Up Maxxster long time no see my friend, yeah I can testify he is fast at Motegi circuit, I couldn't beat him once :lol:

GT Sport is coming soon. Walmart has a T300 RS for $299.00 and 4 Year service plan for $37.00, you better jump on it. I got mine 2 weeks ago and had the price adjusted today from Purchase price $338.00 and $51.oo 4Year service plan to $299.00 and $37.oo 4Year service plan. I love it, (My Thrustmaster T80 is still working great) I race on XBOX ONE Forza Motorsport 6 too with a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Non- FFB wheel, If I Really Loooove the Porsche expansion Pack March 1 2016 I will get the TX Xbox1 Servo base, it will work with my T300 Wheel and pedals. my PS3 is busted so I can't race GT6 anymore, but I'll see you in GT Sport.
T300RS Walmart.jpg

Last edited:
With how tall your horse is, is there even any oxygen up there? I guess all the dead brain cells might explain your post...it all makes sense :lol:

With how tall your horse is, is there even any oxygen up there? I guess all the dead brain cells might explain your post...it all makes sense :lol:
Relax bro, Max is A 79 year old ex-auto mechanic and still Simulation racing and kicking A** on the racing grid, That's just his way of motivating Sim Racers in making the investment in A wheel, he doesn't mean any harm, He knows more about cars than most of us put together, You can't judge someone from one comment, so try not to make snap judgments.

Last edited:
Wow,really? Why is it when a wheel user posts about the wheel/controller debate,their called elitists and what's posted above? I've been on a wheel since 2003,my preference, as I want a true simulation. I'm sure if people had the option of having a wheel,they would.

Wow,really? Why is it when a wheel user posts about the wheel/controller debate,their called elitists and what's posted above? I've been on a wheel since 2003,my preference, as I want a true simulation. I'm sure if people had the option of having a wheel,they would.
Maybe because they say things about controllers?

Wow, really? Did you actually read the comment I was replying to? Not every wheel user who posts on the wheel/controller debate implies that the controller is "for little kids playing other games", and not every wheel user brags about how many wins they have. That's why I laballed this particular wheel user as elitest. I too have a lot of miles and quite a few wins racked up, but neither of those stats mean jack 🤬. I scored 30 goals in beer league soccer last summer, does that mean anything? Without context, nope. That's why when I have conversations about soccer, I don't start the conversation by introducing myself as a "30 goal scorer."

Smdh.

To me, having a wheel clamped to a TV dinner stand is as unauthentic as using a controller. Until I have space in my house for a full rig, complete with proper mounting points, a proper handbrake, inverted pedals, brake pedal modifier thingy, and a comfortable seat (not necessarily a full in racing bucket, driver's seat out of most cars would work...adjustable ftw) I won't waste my time with just a wheel and pedals-on-the-floor setup.

Aside from the lack of space in my current place, I'm looking at spending a couple hundred on a wheel, roughly $100 for supplies to build a rig (it's probably closer to $200 to really do it right), and $500+ on a TV/monitor to mount to the rig. I'd probably want a USB keyboard, so there's another $20. And to take it to the ultimate level, you're looking at another $500+ for a tablet so you can have your gauges in front of you instead of on the TV screen.

Its not hard to imagine as many people like to play on controller.
You can win sooo many races with a controller aswell.
I now use a wheel but I used to play all the time with controller and I actually won a lot more races with controller than what I do with the wheel. With a controller I can control any car no problem, I can countersteer twice or three times in a row in no time and that can be very difficult with a wheel.

Its not hard to imagine as many people like to play on controller.
You can win sooo many races with a controller aswell.
I now use a wheel but I used to play all the time with controller and I actually won a lot more races with controller than what I do with the wheel. With a controller I can control any car no problem, I can countersteer twice or three times in a row in no time and that can be very difficult with a wheel.

I use both, Controller and Wheel, but I prefer A Wheel for the full immersion experience, I only been using A wheel about a year now, but prior to that I used A HKS Hypermax III Racing Controller on the PS3 on GT5 and GT6.
HKS Hypermax III.jpg
even now sometimes if I want to run a quick race on FM6 I will use a controller but mostly A wheel, but on PCARS Wheel Only, because controller interface isn't good for a controller. but for the best immersive simulation it's got to be A wheel, because trying to hold a line in a long curve is just about impossible with a controller, because you need a high resolution peripheral to make precision steering, and I noticed the difference between my T80 and my T300.

I use both, Controller and Wheel, but I prefer A Wheel for the full immersion experience, I only been using A wheel about a year now, but prior to that I used A HKS Hypermax III Racing Controller on the PS3 on GT5 and GT6.View attachment 514667 even now sometimes if I want to run a quick race on FM6 I will use a controller but mostly A wheel, but on PCARS Wheel Only, because controller interface isn't good for a controller. but for the best immersive simulation it's got to be A wheel, because trying to hold a line in a long curve is just about impossible with a controller, because you need a high resolution peripheral to make precision steering, and I noticed the difference between my T80 and my T300.
I disagree :boggled:

@twitcher has a point there, i felt terrible when i got my first wheel clamped on my desk. I had to work hard to fit the whole PC/display/console/wheel setup and i hated it.

Almost sold the wheel immediately but i waited a couple of months and bought a simple but solid stand and moved back to the living room. Only with my current setup i could feel the world of difference and all the feedback you get from sims and even GT...

So yeah, moving from the pad to a wheel can be very frustrating if you can't afford or can't set it up properly. At least that was my experience, of course.

Now it's all good and there's no going back, which is usually the case.

Ran a controller since my late start in GT3, loved it. I enjoyed using a controller, I found myself wanting just a little more so I got a DFGT. Hated it until I gave it a proper second chance and I loved it, now I'll likely be switching to a T300RS. Of course they both have their ups and downs and arounds!
I don't see controller users as any less compared wheel users, we're all on the same game to do (mainly) one thing and thats race. 👍

@twitcher has a point there, i felt terrible when i got my first wheel clamped on my desk. I had to work hard to fit the whole PC/display/console/wheel setup and i hated it.

Almost sold the wheel immediately but i waited a couple of months and bought a simple but solid stand and moved back to the living room. Only with my current setup i could feel the world of difference and all the feedback you get from sims and even GT...

So yeah, moving from the pad to a wheel can be very frustrating if you can't afford or can't set it up properly. At least that was my experience, of course.

Now it's all good and there's no going back, which is usually the case.

My first wheel was A Thrustmaster T80, and I actually took my wheel back for A refund, I had a fold away lunch table, and I didn't know there was a sensitivity setting, once I found out about the sensitivity setting I bought a new one, gave it a chance, because it was soooooo different from a controller, but once i got the finesse of it I loved it, I was able to drive much more steady, especially in a long sweeping curve, with a controller i would side swipe and bump into cars but with a wheel steady as a rock two or three wide in a curve, and my braking was much much better, I can drive with ABS off without locking up the tires, never could do that even with my racing controller. A wheel is the best thing that could have happened for my overall skill level.

When I received my first PlayStation in 1997 with the current F1 title of the time and also V-Rally,
After a few weeks I knew there was no substitute for having a wheel.
About the only car based games I don't use it for is GTA or Driver.

I bought a wheel with GT4 when that was released. Today I have an old G25, but even If I from time to time use a DS3, I can't drive properly with it, because I've simply forgotten how to. I can win the beginner seasonals with the pad, but for TT's, intermediate and expert races, I have to use the wheel.

Still on DS2 with USB adapter on PS3, works fine, can drive without assist in GT6 ... just had lots of laps with Alpine 1600 at London ( CH tire, Gr 4 1800 build, rear locker diff ), doing 1:08s laps keeping the tail with throttle steer :P

Most of my wheel time was back when I was at school : Thrustmaster T2 wheel for PC, then I spent lots of more wheel time at arcades ( Sega Rally, Daytona USA, F355, Battle Gear series ) I was really good in F355 with H-shifter/clutch and Battle Gear ( drifting on touge, spinning the steering wheels like mad :D )

At the moment I am using controller.

Sold my G27 for going to Japan (and visited the Tokyo museum to GT6 little booth which was there in late August or early September 2015 but unfortunately photo taking are not allowed on the museum so I cannot post anything here) :D

I am looking for buying G29 for next wheel since I already have ps3, ps4, driveclub, pcars and for upcoming dirt rally and assetto corsa.

Controller because I can't afford a wheel. How come most people (according to the vote) can?
I use a DFGT which cost me £100 12 months ago, this is after using a DS3 from 2012 until then. It gets a bit more expensive moving to a PS4 there's not quite the budget wheel for the PS4 (yet).

I don't know your circumstances but for me £100 for that upgrade in hardware is not something that is out of reach - although prices do rise to a considerable level, and for me to a level that at this moment in time I wouldn't even consider spending.

I use a DFGT which cost me £100 12 months ago, this is after using a DS3 from 2012 until then. It gets a bit more expensive moving to a PS4 there's not quite the budget wheel for the PS4 (yet).

I don't know your circumstances but for me £100 for that upgrade in hardware is not something that is out of reach - although prices do rise to a considerable level, and for me to a level that at this moment in time I wouldn't even consider spending.
The DFGT costs 145€ here :(

The DFGT costs 145€ here :(
Mine was :censored:ing 270 dollars or 191 pounds. Why Amazon was charging that much is beyond me.

Actually - Amazon has 7 left and they're 290 now. Must be the supply and demand.

my wife got me a dfgt a couple years ago on sale for $130, which looks like an absolute steal now. Looking to get something to go with ps4 and GT sport later this year.

I use an old g25 with a Sparco racing seat, and always in manual (stick and clutch or flappies it depends by the car, personally i love to drive along in the 250 gto or the Wsr with the first option!)... But I admit that the controller is my choice with drifting, so I suck a bit less!

Also, hi everyone.

My setup is a g29 with playseat i payed 670 euros
it was the best buy i ever did , much more fun than a controller

Back