Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

I take this detail from the GT6 trailer, look the rear wheel, is the Alpine car:

fe47u85qn2akkw6fdl.png

It is pretty amazing the way that car in the Gif is going through that corner, very close to loosing it there, and looks very realistic. Should be a blast.

Taken from Gran Turismo Forum at SCEE site http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series-General/GT6-News-Media-and-Comments/m-p/40435659:

I was listening to this week's Midweek Motorsport (Series 8 Episode 19) on Radio Le Mans and they briefly talked about GT6. They were at the Silverstone event and the Nurburgring 24h, so what they said could be accurate. Nick Daman had this to say about the new tire physics:

"(Polyphony) are really moving ever more into the hardcore sim environment... They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road; be they old fashion cross plys; be they modern radials; be they slicks... If you've got a car that's running on old fashion high-sidewall tires, even if it's got the same amount of grip, it's NOT going to handle the same way. And they've modeled all of that... snip...You can get new wheels for (a car). You get the new wheels, it's not to make it look different, it will make it handle different with the new wheels... (adding larger diameter wheels) will change the way it handles."

GT6 is really sounding more and more impresive!

snip....

If you've never listened to a live broadcast by Radio Le Mans or listened to one of their many podcasts, please do so; they are great, and they cover all things motorsport. Their website is www.radiolemans.com and this episode of of Midweek Motorsport can be listened to directly here or on iTunes. GT6 is mentioned in the final 10 minutes.

Quote.
They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road

My question is what have they been feeding us then? Comfort, sport, racing, dirt and snow are all what?

Strange.

^ The current GT5 tires types probably just generic tires simulated in game differentiated only by grip level multiplier, and don't have real life tire types simulated - cross ply, radial, slick, run flat. I am hoping GT6 would also include more parameters simulated - temps, pressure, contact patch, rubber surface wear etc

If true that's excellent news.

Agree, that will be great, will not have to run the old classics on comfort hards for any kind of realism.

Maybe we will have rather than only tyres arranged in comfort, sports and racing - hard medium and soft, cars will come with "original" tyres for road and race with the option to put modern rubber on an old car.

Quote.
They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road

My question is what have they been feeding us then? Comfort, sport, racing, dirt and snow are all what?

Strange.

Not tyres at all. This isn't really news to anyone, we knew that the GT5 tyre model was basic at best.

"(Polyphony) are really moving ever more into the hardcore sim environment... They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road; be they old fashion cross plys; be they modern radials; be they slicks... If you've got a car that's running on old fashion high-sidewall tires, even if it's got the same amount of grip, it's NOT going to handle the same way. And they've modeled all of that."

I wonder if we'll see differences of tires within the same category. The Clarion R35 GT500 is well known as the "other" GT-R that's a lot more difficult. Hopefully there is a real difference rather than reducing the grip multiplier on the car itself.

You can get new wheels for (a car). You get the new wheels, it's not to make it look different, it will make it handle different with the new wheels... (adding larger diameter wheels) will change the way it handles.

We've gotten our customization overhaul right here. Plus, it involves something that matters. We may see Yellowbirds winning races with modern tires and wheels.

Only game iv seen with sidewall flex is twisted metal, and only Axel has it XD
I think motorstorm apocalypse had it at one point in development to but it was removed.
Of course all of it is purely aesthetic.

Forza has had tire flex for nearly four years now. It's hardly new ground.

That said, it's definitely the right direction for PD to be moving in, and paired with rims that actually affect performance (finally), I'm very curious to try the results.

Only game iv seen with sidewall flex is twisted metal, and only Axel has it XD
I think motorstorm apocalypse had it at one point in development to but it was removed.
Of course all of it is purely aesthetic.

Doesnt NASCAR The Game 2011 have that? or am i thinking of something else...?

I'm curious to hear more in-depth reviews of the physics from people that don't work for Official PlayStation Magazine.
This,i want to see a detailed description from someone who has actually got they're hands on the demo.

Good to see them constantly trying to make physics more accurate: Link

Something Kaz has done before: Link

So when he is racing he is still doing work related to game. He is quite a workaholic.

From Saidur's link above:
The car was rigged so that performance data could be captured during the race and tested on Gran Turismo 6's engine in real-time, letting developers fine-tune the handling and performance of the car to get it as realistic as possible. They could also do things the other way around, simulating "changes in vehicle dynamics due to suspension and aerodynamics" in the game, then if they worked, making the same changes to the actual car.
Oh... my... gosh. This is crazy... other racing games?? Whatever! :lol:

Seriously, the more I read about what Polyphony is up to, the less I give a toot about other racers.

Saidur said the version he played at Silverstone still didn't have torque steer off the line, it was however still an early build.

That's not what I wanted to hear. Seems odd considering the improvements made in other areas of the physics engine. Will have to wait for the demo.

Last edited:

Seriously, the more I read about what Polyphony is up to, the less I give a toot about other racers.

:drool: :drool: :drool: Looks like the cars that will have the GPS thing where the date can be tested and implemented in the game will be spot on .

Oh PD you awesome awesome people

:drool: :drool: :drool: Looks like the cars that will have the GPS thing where the date can be tested and implemented in the game will be spot on .

Oh PD you awesome awesome people

That's great for those select few. How many cars in game, 1200? I hope the general physics model is up to scratch.

That's great for those select few. How many cars in game, 1200? I hope the general physics model is up to scratch.

I would imagine that these models will be the basis for each class of car... couple levels of street car, low performance, mid performance, and high performance. Then a model for each class of racecar, GT3, GT500, TC, LMP... they might also be testing for different weight distributions, they are already testing different aero packages...

Can All tracks almost done are Dynamics weather! look Autumn Ring is dymanics weather! ^_^

How can you tell its dynamic and not just late in the day? Stage 5 is night time, and what would time of day have to due with physics? Temperature?

edit - do those AI look like they are bricks or has their collision physics and response been improved?

edit #2 - Also the body roll looks like it's a little too much, they could cut off like 10% of the roll and it would look better. Anyone agree?

Last edited:
There's time change on that track. The clock in the Nissan works.

That only happens in GT5 on tracks with changing time. :)

There's time change on that track. The clock in the Nissan works.

That only happens in GT5 on tracks with changing time. :)

Well they said they have a new lighting engine, so maybe that means all tracks have time change, the lighting physics engine is definitely improved then, if that's the case.

edit - OP, you should replace the OP with the videos from Autumn Ring as they are better at race physics, or add them, or something...

Last edited:

Agreed with this,don't even know if they have enough data from the old standard cars to implement in the new engine as well.

You make it sound like no other sim has ever used race data to fine tune their physics model.

Back