Gran Turismo 6 general Physics Discussion(as well as video)

This makes me want to clean up my old fat PS2 and play Enthusia again... and it have a brilliant car list... Find me a DECENT game that had a Citroen DS. Oh, we miss you, Enthusia!
Just got done playing it, and Driving Emotion Type S :)

how about their crash physics?
i hope its not like this anymore

if i remember they didn't upgrade it at GT5, its still same as GT4. even forza 4 had better crash physic :(

If you think that it was the same as in the GT4.. then you have veeeeery poor memory ;)
Crash/collision physics in GT5 is far from perfect.. but it's light years better in comparison to every earlier Gran Turismo game (it was almost the same from GT1 to GT5: Prologue, and it's a revolution in GT5).

how about their crash physics?
i hope its not like this anymore

if i remember they didn't upgrade it at GT5, its still same as GT4. even forza 4 had better crash physic :(

That's REALISTIC!

Compare that to this video:

Removed: We don't want videos with fatalities.

Watch from 1:17
You could see many of the crashes, car flying and rolling up looks similar to GT5.
Especially in GT5 you could drive and deliberately crash at top speed without the fear of death, some "weird" crashes will happen, because we haven't seen it in real life yet.
But also in GT5 bugs happen and it just went crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch from 1:17
You could see many of the crashes, car flying and rolling up looks similar to GT5.
Especially in GT5 you could drive and deliberately crash at top speed without the fear of death, some "weird" crashes will happen, because we haven't seen it in real life yet.
But also in GT5 bugs happen and it just went crazy.

Thats actually a very good point. Crashes like this are just not replicatable in real life, so it's not gunna be easy to realistically create it in game.

That's REALISTIC!
Sorry, but most of that is not realistic at all.

Once airborne in GT5 the basic laws of gravity get screwed, the 'flying' around the 1:29 mark is not even close to being realistic.

I'm eager to see and feel these new physics in actual gameplay. Looking at how PD have remodelled the tyre and suspension with the new engine and feedback from real suppliers/partners, I'm quite optimistic. I like how the cars roll and dive in the videos and hope this translates to a good feeling during actual gameplay. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to chuck a Focus ST into a bend and feel it compress on its front springs, sliding into some speed sapping under steer whilst it cocks its inside rear wheel, only to power out with the roar of its T5 motor! Afterall, it is the driving dynamics and stunning visuals that keep me coming back, I just hope for a more immersive career mode this time.

Like most people there are aspects I'm disappointed about so far (standard cars and sounds). But I reserve judgement until the game arrives. Ultimately, my love affair with GranTurismo will continue as it has since I was a child. There is no substitute.

People must have rose tinted glasses because Enthusia is not as good as you once thought! :)
It feels very slow and laggy to me

My experience with Enthusia echoes what CoolColJ posted, though my main beef with the game is that with street cars, I could never take a turn the way I wanted. When the tires started making their soft "crowd noises," I had already lost traction and was on my way off the track. I think it has the worst driving model I've ever experienced.

My experience with Enthusia echoes what CoolColJ posted, though my main beef with the game is that with street cars, I could never take a turn the way I wanted. When the tires started making their soft "crowd noises," I had already lost traction and was on my way off the track. I think it has the worst driving model I've ever experienced.

Because Gran Turismo 4 with its nearly always terminal understeer was the most adorable thing ever! Right?

YayoiGT2
Because Gran Turismo 4 with its nearly always terminal understeer was the most adorable thing ever! Right?

Thinking back at that fact. It seemed as if skid recovery force was on 24/7

Enthusia was definitely very good (maybe the best) for it's time, but I think GT5 has better dynamics than Enthusia. Suspension movements in Enthusia always felt like they were in slow motion and the tire model felt kinda greasy. Probably due to the hardware limitations of the PS2.

Dare I say it, GT6 looks to have superior car/suspension movement than iRacing... :bowdown::cheers:

Judging by a video of a V8 Supercar with rock hard suspension? Watch some footage of real V8s, that's what they look like. Then watch some footage of something like the iRacing Mustang, it has decent suspension travel.

GT6 may well be comparable, but I think calling it superior from that one video is a bit of a reach.

Tee. Hee. ;)

The way the cars communicate to me in Enthusia and Forza both are pretty bad, but worse in Enthusia than any other simmish car game I've ever played. I fully understand that others have a much different experience with them both, but mine isn't all that uncommon:

Suspension movements in Enthusia always felt like they were in slow motion and the tire model felt kinda greasy. Probably due to the hardware limitations of the PS2.
they decided the handbrake takes a few seconds to apply, and while some people say they really recreated the weight of the cars in the game, to me it just felt sluggish and unresponsive.
I still think the physics are a bit too floaty. It's almost like driving in pudding, in a way
Never got hyped enough to distinguish itself from the gran turismo franchise I suppose. In terms of the driving physics: way too floaty, like everything is an early 70's caddy or something.:)
The braking system in EPR are so unrealistic for a racing/driving sim it's astonishing. In GT4, you know when you braked enough for the corner you are about to enter (you feel the rumble in your Dualshock 2). In EPR, the Car handling physics are so floaty and so.....well.....out there, that you don't know when to slow down or what speed or gear you should be at. :ouch::crazy:
While some of those same posters go on to comment that they like the game, it's the floaty disconnected feeling is what kills Enthusia for me. The tires in Forza 4 at least try to complain over my engine roar when I'm abusing the grip margin.

I do find all this fascinating though, how so many people will respond to different games so uniquely. While rFactor struck me as a game that felt like a car suspended on a pin at the center of gravity while the entire world rotated beneath it, others thought it was amazingly realistic. I thought GTR Evo was quite a reasonable sim whole others think it's arcadey rubbish and won't settle for less than GTR 2 or Live For Speed. And LFS gets its own clouds of arrows from people who insist that it's clearly an experiment made by people who have no clue what a car even is, because they keep changing everything from month to month.

This must explain why there are so many racing games. Each one does a little something that tickles thousands of fan's pleasure centers.

Needless to say, the game my pleasure center is anxious to be tickled by is GT6. And even more so GT7 on PS4.

Dare I say it, GT6 looks to have superior car/suspension movement than iRacing... :bowdown::cheers:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMskWZGe2QA">YouTube Link</a>

I would not go that far. By the looks of things, GT6's suspension models are close to iRacing, but not better.

I would not go that far. By the looks of things, GT6's suspension models are close to iRacing, but not better.
We don't know that, all i know is PD is not playing around anymore when it comes to physics,and while GT6 does look amazing visually, it seems they're main focus is on Physics now more so than visuals, and that's a very good thing, they are showing true dedication in trying to give us the ultimate driving simulator.]

We don't know that, all i know is PD is not playing around anymore when it comes to physics,and while GT6 does look amazing visually, it seems they're main focus is on Physics now more so than visuals, and that's a very good thing, they are showing true dedication in trying to give us the ultimate driving simulator.]

This.

I will have to say that it seems like Kaz decided to break the mold, and really give GT6 the full monty racing sim makeover. When you have serious professional partnerships like Yokohama for tire modeling, and KW Suspensions for car dynamics, this is key to me that the team are going all out to capture the experience of a car on a track. Even the early build we're getting of all these reviews and videos seem ungodly real, and it tickles my pleasure thing to hear seasoned car and gamer guys mention GT6 physics and feel in the same sentence with hardcore PC sims like GTR 2.

Better than iRacing? Possibly not, but it may be so close as to not matter anymore. And that will make this Christmas the best ever. :D

Some very interesting info in this thread. Sounds very promising.
Can't wait to find out more and am pumped to get my hands on the game, gonna be a long 6-8 months. Hopefully they will give us enough in the demo to get a good taste of the physics on a couple of different cars.

Less draft if you are to back a car before you are just braking, please.
I crash guys for this reason...i need take other driving line for lose the draft before brake.

Less please.

Example circuits:
Monza
Indy-circuit
Fuji

Just all this tracks for High speed.

Back