Gran Turismo 6 Master Car/Track List

• Thread starter Duphman
  • 906 comments
expect more tracks

http://mb.mercedes-benz.com/en/article/8163/Kazunori Yamauchi: The Polygon Godfather

The game introduces 19 new racetracks. What defines a great route? Do you have a personal favourite?

They might be nothing but numbers: 1,197 different car models, 37 locations, 100 race track layouts, 82 tyre choices with 188 variations, 34 helmet styles in 952 different shades as well as 28 racing outfits with 852 possible colour combinations. To Kazunori Yamauchi, however, these are far more than mere figures or specs. The man behind PlayStation’s® seminal “Gran Turismo®” racing series has a remarkable sense of detail, fine-tuning his elusive ideal of the perfect racing simulation with each new release – a labour of love spanning the past 15 years. So it should not come as a great surprise that the long-awaited “Gran Turismo® 6” for PlayStation® 3 not only boasts an impeccable 24-hour version of the legendary Le Mans race, but also faithfully reproduces the night sky and constellations above the actual 2013 race.

At the same time, Kazunori Yamauchi enjoys a very hands-on relationship with his motoring passion – the car enthusiast also puts high-speed models through their paces at some of the world’s most iconic racing circuits and loves to collect iconic cars. Intrigued by this dedication, we asked the maestro about his passion for the virtual game – and any future challenges on the horizon.

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the “Gran Turismo®” series. What memory springs to mind when you think back to the early days?
For five years – and pretty much every single day – “Gran Turismo® 1” demanded all our energy and dedication. By now I have forgotten a lot, but I do remember that whenever we made even the tiniest progress I was so excited I could hardly sleep. But back then I wouldn’t even know if it was summer or winter outside.

Considering the fast-paced nature of development in the digital age, 15 years seems like a long time. How has “Gran Turismo®” changed – beyond the obvious choice of car models or tracks?
Mirroring recent hardware evolutions, we have fine-tuned the graphics and physics to reflect those advances. At the same time we also tested a number of different game designs in each of the releases. But our biggest challenge and achievement always lay in transcending the video game set-up by involving the car and motorsport industry.

This year you took part in the seminal Nürburgring 24-hour race. What was it like? And how did it influence “Gran Turismo®”?
This year we managed to hold second place in the qualifying of the SP9 class for a while, the highest class in this race. So we expected to do pretty well in the actual race, but ran into critical engine trouble during the first sting. So in the end the mechanics were busier than the actual drivers. Such a race can resemble a battle, starting with engine development, safety logistics, strategy and planning all the way down to the final combat. I want to reflect all of this in “Gran Turismo™” – but, naturally, that’s easier said than done.

When people talk about “Gran Turismo®”, they often praise the game’s realism. In your opinion – what are the elements that lend a racing game a realistic feel?
The game should capture the car itself, its movement, handling, environment and landscape, as accurately as possible. That takes a lot of concise and careful observation.

The game introduces 19 new racetracks. What defines a great route? Do you have a personal favourite?
A great track is not about difficulty per se, but about driving pleasures. And many of the routes that are fun to drive derive this pleasure from the track’s ups and down, allowing you to get into a certain groove. Personally speaking, and apart from the Northern Loop, I enjoy traditional race tracks like Brands Hatch and Spa-Francorchamps, i.e. courses that treat you to high-speed curves and precarious passages that are dangerous and fun at the same time.

I guess this is a recurring question… what would be your ultimate dream car? And will we be able to take it out for a spin in “Gran Turismo®” before it hits the streets?
I would love to drive a car based on my own concept – be it in “Gran Turismo®” or on an actual racetrack. I love both car design and driving, so this car would possess a certain elegance, yet also be a pleasure to drive… and drive fast.

“GT6” picks up on the tradition of standalone concept cars, including a remarkable model straight from the Mercedes-Benz design studios. Why are concept cars so important to you and which technology is likely to make the jump to production cars in the future?
When I was a child, these trade fair concept cars represented a present coupled with a very positive outlook on the future. And that hasn’t changed, really. The technology that is researched and developed by car manufacturers today is extremely broad in scope and often exceeds my own imagination. As cars are at the centre of our mobility, I firmly believe that progress in automotive technologies will always influence our future.

You worked closely with the Mercedes-Benz design team when they accepted your invitation to submit a prototype design for your “Gran Turismo® 6” line-up. Which elements did you like best?
I like cars with an exterior that is both classic and modern, but also display a high-performance attitude. The young designer who came up with the Mercedes-Benz model is a “Gran Turismo®” fan, which makes this a fantastic collaboration.

GT5+DLC has 81 variations in total, including reverse variations.
81+19 = 100 (including reverse)

This is in line with the 37 locations, 100 variations claim for GT6.
If Matterhorn has 4 variations and none of them has a reverse variation, then I can too count in total 37 locations and exactly 100 variations including reverse ones for GT6.

I cannot tell if this is in game. If it is that means a new 2009 ARTA GT NSX-R NA2 and the 1984 Ford RS200 have new in-game models of themselves. It really looks like drivers have been edited in.
index_bg1.png

I cannot tell if this is in game. If it is that means a new 2009 ARTA GT NSX-R NA2 and the 1984 Ford RS200 have new in-game models of themselves. It really looks like drivers have been edited in.

It's not in-game, there's a clear difference between in-game footage and live action footage in that commercial and the AU one as well.

We're still missing something like 70-80 of the promised "new" cars, aren't we?
The 2013 Nascars have not made the list have they? Wouldn't that pretty much make up the difference?

Yep, I'd consider those the worst offenders of the "Dups" on the car counts... along with the carryovers. Count each year model as one, and each livery as a color...

The 2013 Nascars have not made the list have they? Wouldn't that pretty much make up the difference?

Yep, I'd consider those the worst offenders of the "Dups" on the car counts... along with the carryovers. Count each year model as one, and each livery as a color...

Except yes they are. Six new Chevrolet '13 NASCAR, not to mention Ford (2) and Toyota (3).

I'm not a fan, but Nascar models from 2010 and 2013 are quite different both aesthetically and mechanically.

11fedex-express-camry.jpg

11-Denny-Hamlin-2013-Toyota-Camry.jpg

And the differences between cars of different drivers go beyond a change of livery.

I'm not a fan, but Nascar models from 2010 and 2013 are quite different both aesthetically and mechanically.

And the differences between cars of different drivers go beyond a change of livery.

I totally agree, and I have no interest in NASCAR, other than doing the compulsory races/events in GT5.

So that'll be three generations of NASCAR in GT6 '10, '11 and '13, just like three generations of X1 '10, '11 and '14.

I'm sure PD have their reasons for including three generations of a fantasy car, but I personally don't get it. I however completely understand why NASCAR is catered for again, because for a start there a real series, just like FIA and DTM.

These NASCAR variants are certainly not "dupes", the X1 cars though are.

So, which is the "ringer". Which is the one with the advantage on the track?

My point is that from bumper-cam, can you tell any difference at all from any car in a year from any of the others in that year?

OK, I will give you the manufacturer's cars should be separate models. So three (?) per year. One per livery is unnecessary. The liveries should be kept, don't get me wrong, I want that variety on track in a race, but just do not count them as six or whatever models when they are functionally identical. If only the paint , decals, and interior details are different graphically and not the model, it's the same and should be listed as paintjob variations.

If you can point to performance differences (which NASCAR works hard to eliminate), I'll concede the point. Otherwise, they are not separate models, but just aesthetic variations of a few models.

So, which is the "ringer". Which is the one with the advantage on the track?

My point is that from bumper-cam, can you tell any difference at all from any car in a year from any of the others in that year?

OK, I will give you the manufacturer's cars should be separate models. So three (?) per year. One per livery is unnecessary. The liveries should be kept, don't get me wrong, I want that variety on track in a race, but just do not count them as six or whatever models when they are functionally identical. If only the paint , decals, and interior details are different graphically and not the model, it's the same and should be listed as paintjob variations.

If you can point to performance differences (which NASCAR works hard to eliminate), I'll concede the point. Otherwise, they are not separate models, but just aesthetic variations of a few models.

I tend to agree. Even if they are aesthetically different, I would love to know the difference between Dennis Hamlin's NASCAR and Kyle Busch's NASCAR in terms of performance.

I tend to agree. Even if they are aesthetically different, I would love to know the difference between Dennis Hamlin's NASCAR and Kyle Busch's NASCAR in terms of performance.

But that's how PD have done it in all of their games, they count different liveries as different cars, despite them being the same car - look at the GT6 car list for example, it's full of the same car with two different liveries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing with it, and certainly not advocating that it should continue, but it does, and I think if it continues then the chance of a livery editor will be further delayed.

I also think that we need to have livery as a paint choice, like having stripes on a Ford GT or Camaro, but I'm just stating that's how it's always been for GT.

But that's how PD have done it in all of their games, they count different liveries as different cars, despite them being the same car - look at the GT6 car list for example, it's full of the same car with two different liveries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not agreeing with it, and certainly not advocating that it should continue, but it does, and I think if it continues then the chance of a livery editor will be further delayed.

I also think that we need to have livery as a paint choice, like having stripes on a Ford GT or Camaro, but I'm just stating that's how it's always been for GT.

I agree. I think it's 'cheating' the numbers because they can do that with loads of cars and claim "We've got 200 new cars for ya booiz" when a third of them are duplicates and totally unnecessary.

FM4 did that with some race cars but to a much smaller extent. The vast majority were truly unique cars with different specs, etc. Same way PD give us an '05 & '07 Swfit Sport. Only difference is one has grey trim and the other has red trim. Other than that, identical.

index_bg1.png

I tend to agree. The plants do not exactly look real and the cars seem to be very "clean". Also, it would be a lot of effort to even get this collection of cars together on one road at the same time. But it could be from digital image processing that gives it that look. The shots with real people in the cars could easily have been put in afterwards.

Maybe they used a GT7 prototype for the ad. :sly:

EDIT: deleted, I don't want to lead anyone on due to my confusion.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been covered to death so sorry for asking, but do we know why the 458 GT3 car (or equivalent depending on series) is not in the game? Or if it is I apologize now :P

TRACKS!

I'm really excited about all the brand-new tracks not included in previous GT releases. A proper drag strip? It’s about time!
I may be even more excited about the return of GT original tracks that were not in GT5, especially these:
Apricot Hill, Infineon, Seattle, and Midfield – Oh my God YES!
Grindelwald and Rome-Night from GT2 – Awesome Fun!
The original Rome track from GT3 – nuff said :)
El Capitan – just a very, very fun track
Hong Kong, George V Paris and SSR11 – beautiful night races at very challenging city courses
Finally I have to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Polyphony Digital for bringing back Red Rock Valley. This is one of my all-time favorite tracks and we have waited since GT2 to see this awesome original track recreated for modern consoles. Like Midfield, the configuration has a crossover (think figure-8) which promotes even tire wear left-right, and I can't wait to use these tracks in online endurance races… 50 laps in 500hp supercars on RH tires anyone? Tire wear, fuel management, pit/lap strategy? Bring it on! :)
I hope you're being sarcastic, else you are going to be really disappointed.

I hope you're being sarcastic, else you are going to be really disappointed.

I was not being sarcastic but I think you're right, and I am disapointed.
This link (all GT tracks): http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/GTPEDIA_Track_Directory.pdf
is from a GTPlanet page with the heading, "GTPlanet’s GTPEDIA to Include Gran Turismo 6 Chapter as Free Update, 15% Off Holiday Sale."
So I thought that link page was part of the GT6 Chapter :(
Sorry for my confusion.
I must now ask why PD is not including any of these original tracks? They are clearly in demand from enthusiasts. Oh well... *sigh*

This link (all GT tracks): http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/GTPEDIA_Track_Directory.pdf
is from a GTPlanet page with the heading, "GTPlanet’s GTPEDIA to Include Gran Turismo 6 Chapter as Free Update, 15% Off Holiday Sale."
Sorry for my confusion.
I must now ask why PD is not including any of these original tracks? They are clearly in demand from enthusiasts. Oh well... *sigh*

Yeah if PD added Seattle, Hong Kong, New York, and the Paris Stages I would be content. Nothing against people that like Real World tracks, but I'll always admit that the reason I got into GT was because of stages like SSR11 and Rome those city tracks basically. Plus they added life into the game for me.

index_bg1.png

Pause the video at 0.09 and take a look. It's supposedly the same photo/video shoot right? However all the cars are shifted over a lane in the Photo (the Lexus should be where the GT40 is) and the lighting looks odd, especially the shadows on the traffic light. Also there seems to be a lot more cars in the photo.

I think that the Photo is actually a render made using GT6's coding and models (but not necessarily in the game itself) with the Honda Jazz/Fit being photoshopped in.
Of course it could just be a real photograph with a strange filter applied!

Sorry for my confusion.
Points to Apricot Hill...

Back