Gran Turismo 6 vs Forza Motorsport 5-Test Drive SRT 2013@Bathurst

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 451 comments
I watched the whole thing from start to finish and as much as I don't want to agree with him, I have to. He makes some really good points in the video. I feel like that GT6 has been a disappointment. The sounds are bad, the racing offline can be boring, and there is NO shuffle racing. I know it's only been 3 months since the game came out but these issues need to be fixed. I do have a bit of faith left in PD and think in the coming months that they will improve the game, and I hope for everybody's sake that they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the whole thing from start to finish and as much as I don't want to agree with him, I have to. He makes some really good points in the video. I feel like that GT6 has been a disappointment. The sounds are bad, the racing offline can be boring, and their is NO shuffle racing. I know it's only been 3 months since the game came out but this issues need to be fixed. I do have a bit of faith left in PD and think in the coming months that they will improve the game, and I hope for everybody's sake that they do.

The offline racing is also boring in Forza, or at least it has been in previous titles. I would say GT wins here,
Forza has never had shuffle racing so there is no edge there.

The guy doing the review either was confused or just lying. He mentioned Forza having the sound of rocks and stuff flying up under the car and that GT did not have this. In truth GT does have this and I have never witnessed this in any of the previous Forza titles. Possible they added it in 5 but to say it does not exist in GT6 is false.

At that point I kinda gave up on the video. I did get a kick out of what he was saying about the FFB how he had it all the way to max on Forza and only 2 on GT6 due to the much much stronger FFB in GT games. I generally have GT set at about 5 and Forza maxxed out with my setup.

The offline racing is also boring in Forza, or at least it has been in previous titles. I would say GT wins here,

The guy doing the review either was confused or just lying. He mentioned Forza having the sound of rocks and stuff flying up under the car and that GT did not have this. In truth GT does have this and I have never witnessed this in any of the previous Forza titles. Possible they added it in 5 but to say it does not exist in GT6 is false.

At that point I kinda gave up on the video. I did get a kick out of what he was saying about the FFB how he had it all the way to max on Forza and only 2 on GT6 due to the much much stronger FFB in GT games. I generally have GT set at about 5 and Forza maxxed out with my setup.
Yeah most racing "simulators" have fairly boring offline racing. Also, I was surprised to hear that you can sound of rocks going through the chassis. I don't know if it is true or not but I'm going to take his word for it.

GT6 is not a bad game, but some thing need to be fixed. PD took some of the good features in GT5 that I liked. For example, being able to see the RPMs in the tuning sheet and of course shuffle racing.

As far as offline goes, Forza (at least 4) let you set up completely custom races to the last detail. It annihilates GT when it comes to offline racing because of that alone, and the AI is better. The catch is this "offline mode" requires Xbox Live. If you don't count the free race mode, at least Forza spelled out exactly how the AI was going to drive (PI index for every race) and also allowed damage. The only upside for GT that comes to my mind is endurance racing, which isn't done all that well. I was recently able to try Forza 5 at last. The physics have clearly evolved while I think GT is still trying to get the basics down. Forza 5's career seems pretty similar to F4's, so I think it's still going to have the edge.

Online, Forza 4 is without a doubt better than GT because of the options combined with better physics. Forza 5 seemed to have a similar set up though I couldn't find all the same options. Even if you like shuffle (which I absolutely hate) Forza gave you the entire stock car list to choose from and you could sort it by performance. Making a shuffle race wouldn't be hard. The one huge upside to GT was qualifying. Lack of qualification in a racing game is ridiculous.

I didn't notice it in either title. Forza felt more immersive overall though. I like that Forza's cockpit view is well done.

The video was pretty laid back though, I expected a more serious comparison.

They're out at the same time.

If you want to decide between GT and Forza and you want a game now, you have to compare Forza 5(or less) and GT6(or less). This comparison is completely fair. PD chose to develop for PS3.

I happen to disagree. The processing power and amount of calculations is totally different from a console released 3 months ago to another that has 87 months on its back. Unfair.

I happen to disagree. The processing power and amount of calculations is totally different from a console released 3 months ago to another that has 87 months on its back. Unfair.

There's nothing unfair about it, it's not a school competition. They each made their own decision (be it themselves or their "superiors") on which platform they release and why, with each having its own ups and downs and these are the results we got.

PD chose their horse for this race. As @Exorcet already said, these are the 2 current console sim options, there is nothing else to compare (console).

I understand most of what he said.. How ever, why the hell did he put SS on the SRT10?
He was surprised the Viper was harder to catch and had less feel in GT6, which is a problem he wouldn't have, if he left it STOCK like he said..

Besides that, well done review.

I want to see them compare the Nurburging in GT6 to that of Forza 5. Put cars like the LFA in there. That's a matchup.

I want to see them compare the Nurburging in GT6 to that of Forza 5. Put cars like the LFA in there. That's a matchup.

The ring is Not in Forza 5! The fact alone does not change the reality of F5 being better than Gt6 practically in all aspects that count! (I mean if Mario cart had the nurburgring that wouldn't change the fact that it's pure arcade fun, would it?)
As much as I love the GT franchise (bought all PS consoles and GT titles because of it) the series has been behind Forza since Forza 2 in my opinion! Even a F4 vs Gt6 would have rendered Forza the winner albeit with a smaller margin!
Don't bash bytheway, I've paid more than enough to sony and PD to at least be allowed to speak out my opinion.

The ring is Not in Forza 5! The fact alone does not change the reality of F5 being better than Gt6 practically in all aspects that count! (I mean if Mario cart had the nurburgring that wouldn't change the fact that it's pure arcade fun, would it?)
As much as I love the GT franchise (bought all PS consoles and GT titles because of it) the series has been behind Forza since Forza 2 in my opinion! Even a F4 vs Gt6 would have rendered Forza the winner albeit with a smaller margin!
Don't bash bytheway, I've paid more than enough to sony and PD to at least be allowed to speak out my opinion.

The Ring isn't in Forza? Damn, had no idea.

I like GT6, because of the driving. I don't think it's a better game. I prefer the physics of GT6, over Forza. Simple as that.
I know some people value the things that don't matter ahead of the driving dynamics, and that's their call. I'll stick to what actually matters, and that's the game's driving dynamics.

Nothing against Forza.

I understand most of what he said.. How ever, why the hell did he put SS on the SRT10?
He was surprised the Viper was harder to catch and had less feel in GT6, which is a problem he wouldn't have, if he left it STOCK like he said..

Besides that, well done review.

I didn't catch that. I thought he said he downgraded the tires and I assumed CS (though he never said specifically). However, GT6 is terribly vague when it comes to selecting real life tires for a car. Forza 4 specifically labled stock tires and even created special compounds for particular cars (especially the older ones).

SS still seems like a strange choice, I'd like an explanation behind their selection.

I know some people value the things that don't matter ahead of the driving dynamics
What is important is a matter of preference. There is nothing wrong with buying GT just for photomode, and that would indeed make it superior to Forza (or at lest 4, I don't even know if FM5 has photos). I prefer realistic driving dynamics, which is why I went from GT to Forza. Since GT5/FM4 I think it's been hard to call GT a winner in terms of physics realism. Though if you meant how they feel to you, that's different.

I'll throw in my pennies worth.

I agree with him that the direct comparison of the two games can be allowed as they are both titles at the top of their consoles. I will only agree there however.

I spent a lot of Tuesday afternoon/evening playing Forza 5 racing online, driving offline and even using other features like the livery editor and I still say that Gran Turismo has it in my books. Forza's controls are very loose and the car doesn't feel planted at all when driving. Even with ABS turned on you get stuttering lock-ups under braking which aid in crashing off the track. When steering into corners and out of them the cars feel really loose, I was getting oversteer in a Honda Civic whilst powering out of a corner.
I also tried setting up a car with suspension tunes that I have gotten direct from real life touring car setups so they clearly work in real life. These tunes also work very well in Gran Turismo but in Forza 5 the car was completely undrivable. It veered for no reason and was very difficult to drive.
The grass on the edge of the track is almost like treacle and no matter what you do, even if it is half a wheel, you will get dragged off track and slowed down to 50mph every time without fail. That wasn't mentioned in the video above.

The reason why it is easier to catch a slide in Forza is because of how the game has a hidden aid that keeps the car on track (there are YouTube videos showing this). The handling of the cars is much more arcade like in feel and you don't get the same kind of pull or push on the wheel when driving and it is easier to hold a car when it steps out of line. I haven't played Forza since Forza 4 came out and I took to Forza 5 like I hadn't been away from it at all. However. In GT5 I used to be able to drift and powerslide cars any day of the week but it has took me over a month to understand how to do it in GT6 because of the new physics. (which have faded slightly in updates). I played GT5 all the way up until the release of GT6 and it still took some getting used to.

The definitive for me with the handling that backs up my opinion is that my dad has been a profession driver for 8 years (not racing driver). He has played the game with my G27 and he failed to see one single difference between real life and the game other than the lack of Gforces on your body. He doesn't play games at all and he agrees that GT6 is "smack on" in his words.

I can even argue that Forza doesn't look as good as Gran Turismo at times even when it's on the next gen. There is little difference between Forza 4 and Forza 5 in graphics and the lighting is too bloomed and harsh. Gran Turismo's is more subtle and adds much more of a realistic lighting feel to the track instead of it all being over-bloomed Sepia or really dull blues (this can be seen on their rendition of SIlverstone). The lighting engine in Forza 5 isn't as good as the one found in GT4 but the car models excel. The Forzavista system makes Gran Turismo's Gallery View look like it was modelled by toddlers. However. The GPU of the Xbox One is far superior to the one of the PS3 but when on track the game doesn't look anywhere like it's menus. A good comparison is seeing a game advertised on tv and you see it say "Not actual gameplay" and that applies to Forza 5.

I have my own forum for Gran Turismo racing that is shared with Forza players and the Forza members have come across to GT and said how they wanted to buy a PS4 to get Gran Turismo 6. To their surprise the game is on PS3 (as we all know). So GT6 still keeps up with Forza graphically even now.

The track models in Forza again don't look as good as GT's and there is little to zero road feel when driving in Forza. As I said, the cars are very light and floaty on track and the game seems really easy to play in comparison. Yes Forza has grass at the edge of the tracks but you don't see it when you're doing 150mph anyway so it's pointless and taking up room on the GPU. As mentioned there is treacle physic grass too. When you go to cut a corner or out-brake yourself and accidentally cut a chicane you go from 100+mph to 20mph instantly no matter if it was accidental or not.

If I was scoring the scores in the video I would give Forza 8 and GT 9. Forza does have some very good aspects to it which beat GT hands down and which I had some good fun with but in terms of simulated driving and feel of the racing in general Gran Turismo wins without contest.

I am completely indifferent for both games, as I said I have a spilt forum for both of them, but I still feel that GT is the slightly better game at the moment. I have often thought that if money was no issue then I would happily own both games and consoles to play both games equally because with what Forza does badly, Gran Turismo makes up for it and vice versa.
If GT doesn't pick up it's game soon though then it will soon fall behind other games. You can't take a game seriously that has 'Standard' car models for much longer.

I didn't catch that. I thought he said he downgraded the tires and I assumed CS (though he never said specifically).

You can tell by looking at his screen in the bottom left (SS) :cheers:

However, GT6 is terribly vague when it comes to selecting real life tires for a car. Forza 4 specifically labled stock tires and even created special compounds for particular cars (especially the older ones).

Another reason that Forza is an all round better game.. How cool would it be to have Bias Ply tires to stick on our older cars?!

I am dying to play Forza 5, but unfortunately it's for the wrong console. So I better just suck it up, wait until more content an fixes get released for GT6, or simply wait for GT7 and get myself a PS4; which will happen eventually.

I'm confused, why are you dying to play Forza 5? It was you that felt that GT6 would be, without question, the better game. So I'm not understanding the appeal to someone like you.

Even with ABS turned on you get stuttering lock-ups under braking which aid in crashing off the track.

You know that ABS in real life doesn't work like it does in GT, right?

He has played the game with my G27 and he failed to see one single difference between real life and the game other than the lack of Gforces on your body. He doesn't play games at all and he agrees that GT6 is "smack on" in his words.

Just because he didn't notice differences doesn't mean they aren't there. Neither GT6 or FM5 are perfect simulations of reality.

The lighting engine in Forza 5 isn't as good as the one found in GT4 but the car models excel.

I'm going to assume this is a typo.

A good comparison is seeing a game advertised on tv and you see it say "Not actual gameplay" and that applies to Forza 5.

Both GT and FM do this, GT with Photomode, FM with Forzavista.

If I was scoring the scores in the video I would give Forza 8 and GT 9....

If GT doesn't pick up it's game soon though then it will soon fall behind other games. You can't take a game seriously that has 'Standard' car models for much longer.

I'm not sure I follow you...good review by the way:tup:. If you think GT beats Forza 9-8 in spite of being on last generation's console, I don't see how GT is in any danger of falling behind, given Forza is using state of the art in terms of console power and still lost IYO.

You can tell by looking at his screen in the bottom left (SS) :cheers:
I only noticed one of his lap times and it was a 2:23 I believe. If he's running 2:23's on SS in that car he sucks as a driver:lol: Did anyone notice any other lap times?

Forza's controls are very loose and the car doesn't feel planted at all when driving.

I agree with this, when using a controller. There was terrible non linearity in the steering in the demo unit I was driving and it was awful. This isn't a physics fault though.

Even with ABS turned on you get stuttering lock-ups under braking which aid in crashing off the track.
ABS can refer to many different systems. Forza isn't wrong in allowing lockup even with ABS on. I'd say it's better at simulating ABS than GT since it actually behaves like ABS. The unfortunate thing is that Turn 10 considers it an aid and so going against realism they handicap it, or that is my understanding anyway.

The ABS system is modeled OK, they just give you one from a 1970's car, and that is a fault.

When steering into corners and out of them the cars feel really loose, I was getting oversteer in a Honda Civic whilst powering out of a corner.
I also tried setting up a car with suspension tunes that I have gotten direct from real life touring car setups so they clearly work in real life. These tunes also work very well in Gran Turismo but in Forza 5 the car was completely undrivable. It veered for no reason and was very difficult to drive.
The grass on the edge of the track is almost like treacle and no matter what you do, even if it is half a wheel, you will get dragged off track and slowed down to 50mph every time without fail. That wasn't mentioned in the video above.
Forza 5 felt like Forza 4 except there was a much less forgiving edge of traction. I say that overall, it's more convincing than GT which has just begun to get things like lift off oversteer. I can't say anything about your Honda Civic experience, but the Fit in GT6 (I believe before all patches) was prety much on rails. The Viper I drove in FM5 would let you know when weight was on one end but not the other and depending on how you applied the weight, it drove differently.

As for the tunes, I wanted to try tuning in Forza but didn't get to it. I haven't tried GT6. GT6 seems to be very wrong when it comes to camber and aerodynamics. I also wonder what conditions the tunes you mentioned were set up for. GT6 to my knowledge still doesn't simulate tire pressure which would need to change a bit depending on track temp. Forza has this setting and if the track in Forza was not the same temp as the real life track, you would expect that there might be a difference in tuning results.

The reason why it is easier to catch a slide in Forza is because of how the game has a hidden aid that keeps the car on track (there are YouTube videos showing this).
This if it is there is probably less of a factor than GT's tire grip modeling.

The handling of the cars is much more arcade like in feel and you don't get the same kind of pull or push on the wheel when driving and it is easier to hold a car when it steps out of line.
I have to say that now I'm getting suspicious. I found myself able to get the 2013 Viper out of line fairly easily in FM5. I could catch it, but it wasn't as simple as just counter steering whenever you felt you were getting loose. You need to time it and modulate how much you were steering. This was on a controller though. I did get to drive a GT6 C7 Corvette, but it hardly ever wanted to get out of line. I was being rough with it though. I'll say that GT6 feels amazing through a wheel, but the cars themselves may not be as impressive.

I haven't played Forza since Forza 4 came out and I took to Forza 5 like I hadn't been away from it at all.
As did I. They feel similar until you get to the edge. This is good because Forza 4 had the physics down already. While on the other hand...

In GT5 I used to be able to drift and powerslide cars any day of the week but it has took me over a month to understand how to do it in GT6 because of the new physics. (which have faded slightly in updates). I played GT5 all the way up until the release of GT6 and it still took some getting used to.

GT is all over the place. That's not a good sign. That Forza is consistent from one game to another may be a sign that they're really nailing the basics. This means in the future they can focus on deeper aspects of the physics and of individual vehicles.

The definitive for me with the handling that backs up my opinion is that my dad has been a profession driver for 8 years (not racing driver). He has played the game with my G27 and he failed to see one single difference between real life and the game other than the lack of Gforces on your body. He doesn't play games at all and he agrees that GT6 is "smack on" in his words.

Did he say anything about or examine GT's grip multiplier tires? The inflated car top speeds? Wheels lifting off the ground under braking? Camber adjustments working opposed to reality?
I can even argue that Forza doesn't look as good as Gran Turismo at times even when it's on the next gen. There is little difference between Forza 4 and Forza 5 in graphics and the lighting is too bloomed and harsh.
Probably. Forza 5 has too many polygons for its own good and even on a giant screen you could have told me that I was looking at Forza 4. Graphics are becoming a pointless investment in my opinion.

Gran Turismo's is more subtle and adds much more of a realistic lighting feel to the track instead of it all being over-bloomed Sepia or really dull blues (this can be seen on their rendition of SIlverstone). The lighting engine in Forza 5 isn't as good as the one found in GT4 but the car models excel.
I can see this.

The Forzavista system makes Gran Turismo's Gallery View look like it was modelled by toddlers. However. The GPU of the Xbox One is far superior to the one of the PS3 but when on track the game doesn't look anywhere like it's menus. A good comparison is seeing a game advertised on tv and you see it say "Not actual gameplay" and that applies to Forza 5.
System specs or not I really wish the demand for ultra high poly models wasn't there, but I'm just going to have to accept it. GT5 looked good enough for me, even the standard cars, but that is considered subpar today and the graphics war goes on.

The track models in Forza again don't look as good as GT's and there is little to zero road feel when driving in Forza. As I said, the cars are very light and floaty on track and the game seems really easy to play in comparison.
Floatyness should be present on a mass suspended on four springs that are in turn resting upon four other springs. The lack of floatyness in GT is a problem in my eyes.

Yes Forza has grass at the edge of the tracks but you don't see it when you're doing 150mph anyway so it's pointless and taking up room on the GPU. As mentioned there is treacle physic grass too. When you go to cut a corner or out-brake yourself and accidentally cut a chicane you go from 100+mph to 20mph instantly no matter if it was accidental or not.
I actually didn't see the sticky grass in FM5. If it's there, this is a major disappointment for a sim racer.

If I was scoring the scores in the video I would give Forza 8 and GT 9. Forza does have some very good aspects to it which beat GT hands down and which I had some good fun with but in terms of simulated driving and feel of the racing in general Gran Turismo wins without contest.
I'm really having a hard time accepting this. Now admittedly my time with GT6 was limited, but not so limited that I could have missed all the things that would have been required to change from 5 to 6 to really make it a competitive sim. Have the updates really changed the game so much, or what?

I am completely indifferent for both games, as I said I have a spilt forum for both of them, but I still feel that GT is the slightly better game at the moment. I have often thought that if money was no issue then I would happily own both games and consoles to play both games equally because with what Forza does badly, Gran Turismo makes up for it and vice versa.
For me, the X1 cars make GT tempting despite its shortcomings, and traditionally GT has been said to feel better with a wheel. I know that GT6 feels very, very good, but I don't know what Forza feels like.

I think this is the least of its worries. Even if you ignore people like me who would rather have standards than Autovista, as a simulator GT has bigger things to worry about (unless they've all been patched while I had my back turned). Forza is at a point where it could be a PC sim competitor if it had more options.

There's nothing unfair about it, it's not a school competition. They each made their own decision (be it themselves or their "superiors") on which platform they release and why, with each having its own ups and downs and these are the results we got.

If it was a school competition, it's like a kid from grade 4 fighting a kid from grade 6, both of them have new school uniforms. And the kid from grade 4 is holding his own.

So I'm assuming Forza is the 4th grader, since it's the upstart series and Gran Turismo is the mainstay that everyone is supposed to look up to.

I'm really having a hard time accepting this. Now admittedly my time with GT6 was limited, but not so limited that I could have missed all the things that would have been required to change from 5 to 6 to really make it a competitive sim. Have the updates really changed the game so much, or what?
Half of the GT6 improvements have been people assuming that they changed something and then claiming that they did rather than anything actually being changed. No different from GT5 in that respect.

Back