Gran Turismo 6 vs Forza Motorsport 5-Test Drive SRT 2013@Bathurst

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 451 comments
Imari - Yes I know ABS doesn't work like that in real life but locking up and releasing and locking up then releasing isn't how it works either (how Forza 5 does it). GT is just simply smoother. I tend to use 0 ABS on race cars and old cars anyway so that aspect doesn't bother me.

And again, I know they're not perfect simulations of real life as the are games but GT does a much better job if it in multiple opinions.

And nope. The lighting in GT4 is much more realistic and authentic compared to Forza's over sepia look.
k2xnif.jpg

As you see the lighting in GT4 (granted from a replay) is much more subtle and realistic whereas the one in Forza 5 has too much glare and is almost orange in look. I know it is at Laguna Seca but the GT4 picture is in the Mediterranean.

And again with the models, not to as great of an extent as Forza does.
2d6s8i8.jpg

That is the same game. Both photos are taken from Forza 5. There is no difference on track between Forza 4 and Forza 5 but off track the difference is immense.

Now, if you bring photos of on track captures from both games into the equation you will see what I mean about car modelling and lighting on in the actual game which you play and don't look at in menus. Both photos taken by me (I did the design on the Civic) and both were taken with only the camera options within the game.
2n6t8a0.jpg

I feel GT has won on all counts.

Now, if you bring photos of on track captures from both games into the equation you will see what I mean about car modelling and lighting on in the actual game which you play and don't look at in menus. Both photos taken by me (I did the design on the Civic) and both were taken with only the camera options within the game.
2n6t8a0.jpg

You really think that the Deltawing model is better than the Civic? Everything else aside such as you're not even using the same damn track, really?

It clearly is a better model and the lighting accentuates this even more. I have others if you'd like to compare them too?
Also, it's difficult to use Catalunya in Gran Turismo unless you're an expert hacker. ;)

And a comparison in the light glare and subtle lighting GT chose over Turn 10's in-yer-face lighting.
10ngqbb.jpg

As I have said in my original post, I am indifferent to both games and I like both for what they offer in different ways. If they combined the two to make Gran Motorsport 5.6 then I'd be the happiest racer in the gaming world.

Last edited:
Obviously, overall Forza 5 's graphics are much better than GT6's such as the geometry of the environment and cars, the textures are better, and it runs at 1080p and 60 fps (Which is a miracle for the xbone). However, what I don't like about Forza is the pre-baked lighting. I find it impressive that GT6 has HDR-Lighting on a seventh generation console. Therefore, it looks a bit more realistic than Forza 5.

Nothing is, not to assume that's what you where getting at (Where you would mention some other sim that supposedly is)

You didn't look at what I was replying to. The guy claimed that GT was a great simulator because his father, who is a professional driver, didn't notice any differences between GT6 and reality.

As you say, nothing is a perfect simulation (which is exactly what I was getting at), so in ANY game a professional driver should be able to notice at least some discrepancies. And it's not like GT is an amazing sim where you have to look really hard for the discrepancies, a number of them have been documented on this very forum as well as others. And even in the very best publically available PC sims of the moment, you don't have to look very far to find discussions of areas in which they're deficient too.

His testimony from his father is worthless to judge the quality of GT6, because his father is not capable of finding discrepancies that we KNOW exist.

Imari - Yes I know ABS doesn't work like that in real life but locking up and releasing and locking up then releasing isn't how it works either (how Forza 5 does it).

Depending on the car, sometimes it is. Especially older cars. The flaw of both GT and FM is that they attempt to apply a single assist over many cars, and as such it ends up not really being based on anything realistic. FM has apparently applied the old form of ABS to all cars, presumbly because it gives solid feedback on when you're overbraking. GT just lets you slam the brakes without upsetting the car at all, which is rare in reality.

And nope. The lighting in GT4 is much more realistic and authentic compared to Forza's over sepia look.
k2xnif.jpg

As you see the lighting in GT4 (granted from a replay) is much more subtle and realistic whereas the one in Forza 5 has too much glare and is almost orange in look. I know it is at Laguna Seca but the GT4 picture is in the Mediterranean.

Whatever. If you want to compare a shot with the sun relatively high in the sky and to the side to a shot with the sun low and directly ahead, I can't stop you.

I will point out that you have no idea what you're talking about if you think that's a fair comparison though.

And again with the models, not to as great of an extent as Forza does.
2d6s8i8.jpg

That is the same game. Both photos are taken from Forza 5. There is no difference on track between Forza 4 and Forza 5 but off track the difference is immense.

Proof required that FM4 and FM5 look the same on track. That is blatantly untrue.

Obviously there's a difference between on track FM5 and Forzavista, but no one ever claimed there wasn't. There's a difference between on track GT6 and GT6 Photomode too, but I don't see you having any problems with that.

2n6t8a0.jpg

More tiny photos, please. Whatever you do, make sure they're small enough that the majority of the effect is how good a downscaler you use. And make sure not to choose the same car and track in both, that would totally stuff up the effect.

It clearly is a better model and the lighting accentuates this even more.

Perhaps you'd like to explain why it is for those of us who can't see why it's clearly a better model?

And a comparison in the light glare and subtle lighting GT chose over Turn 10's in-yer-face lighting.
10ngqbb.jpg

There's a difference between the positioning of the sun and having a terrible lighting system. FM5 has too many tracks where the sun is low, but that alone doesn't make the lighting system awful, it just means that someone in T10 got a little carried away. Bad track design, rather that a bad lighting system.

You can get similar effects in GT6 at the right time of day and with the right angles on sun and camera. It's considered a bonus then, because you can get some great photos.

On the tracks where the sun ISN'T in your face, the FM5 lighting system is pretty spectacular. It's pretty spectacular the rest of the time too, but it's hard to appreciate when someone's poking you in the eye with a torch.

The photos are over 1000px wide. I did that as to keep the memory down on my hosting site...

My point remains that I like both games indifferent of which is better or worse.
I shall say one last thing. Opinions are like arseholes and everybody has one.

The photos are over 1000px wide. I did that as to keep the memory down on my hosting site...

My point remains that I like both games indifferent of which is better or worse.
Dude, no need to denigrate yourself. We value your opinion too, even if it's wrong:lol:

You know you've lost an argument when you're telling people that its just your opinion. Even though you're uploading large pictures like as if you are trying to give out "facts".

I'm just not arguing, I can't be bothered with it. I've voiced my opinion and that's that. It was my opinion from my original post because unlike 95% of GTPlanet users I can voice an opinion and then move on to other areas where I actually give a toss.:gtpflag:

You've got to love forums. 👍

I shall say one last thing.

1000px, for two photos stuck together. So 500px each.

You're not hosting it yourself so I don't see why you're worried about bandwidth. Tinypic is free.

If you want to compare, full resolution captures is really the only way. So 1920x1080, each. Anything less and you're just introducing error. Lower resolutions can mask lack of detail in models and textures, and can change the perception of lighting significantly.

Generally, lower resolution shots are going to favour GT simply because the backgrounds tend to be low poly and simple textures. Getting rid of that eyesore goes a long way towards bridging the gap between GT6 and FM5. There's very little to pick between a premium and a FM5 car in a still shot.

Opinions are like arseholes and everybody has one.

And I wouldn't bother flashing yours around if you're not at least prepared to explain why you have it. Nobody expects all opinions to be the same, but generally it's expected that you have some rational basis for yours.

2n6t8a0.jpg

I'm not sure whether you're talking only graphically, or the ENTIRE game here, but you clearly think GT6 has FM5 beat in some significant way that isn't related to amount of content. It's not obvious how you came to that conclusion, so it'd be nice if you could explain it so that other people can see it. They might agree with you, or they might say "I see where he's coming from, but nah". But at least it would be interesting.

Better than what you're doing now, which is basically coming in and saying "GT6 is better than FM5, 'cos I said so" and buggering off. I don't think anyone's interested in learning your personal opinion, we don't know you from Adam. But it would be interesting to see WHY someone formed their opinion, particularly when it goes somewhat against the obvious grain.

I gave my reasoning in the first post (which someone said "Good review" to) with supported evidence of photos in later ones. I don't know what else I need but in a court of law that's more than enough. But I did forget that GT Planet users are harder to please than an ex-slave at a cotton convention.

So as there is nothing left for me to say, I shall be out of here faster than an aborted foetus from a pregnant school girl's vagina.

I bid you all happy rambling and bitching about stuff that no one really cares about. Good day. :D

As far as offline goes, Forza (at least 4) let you set up completely custom races to the last detail.
Really? I assume you must be talkign abotu somethign other than career mode offline racing then, possibly a single race mode which I never bothered with on either game.

The actual career mode on FM4 was boring, the races were short, the delay between races was huge, sometimes longer than the race itself and really unplayable for me. I much prefer the GT Mode in GT6 over that.

It annihilates GT when it comes to offline racing because of that alone, and the AI is better.
The AI on Forza 4? It was horrible, they were slow and they would slam you all the time plus the odd physics on FM4 would usually cause your car to spin out when the AI brake checks you or hits the front of your car. I found it extremely annoying. I actually liked the AI in GT5P and GT5 better. None of which GT or FM is a challenge unless you use a lesser car.

As for online Forza 2 rules. FM3 was a big disappointment especially online and 4 still is missing several things that made FM2 so good. At least GT lets us make tweaks to our cars in a lobby.

Anyway I did not watch the whole video, he lost me when he said you could hear rocks on Forza and not GT, maybe he was just mistaken but seems pretty biased to me.

Did he ever get to the point of showing how GT wins on car count, track count, free online play, additional content for free via updates and so on or the fact that GT6 does nto require the purchase of a new console and that our existing Forza wheel systems work on GT6 but not on FM5?

There is no comparrision for us GT5/FM4 players IMO FM5 is about $1000 where GT6 is $60 or less and has 5 times as much content

btw I also absolutely HATE the lighting used in FM3 and 4 and looks like they are doing it in 5 as well.

Really? I assume you must be talkign abotu somethign other than career mode offline racing then, possibly a single race mode which I never bothered with on either game.

It's not career. I was referring to the ability to use AI opponents in multiplayer rooms, you can make a race that's AI only. I guess technically this could be counted as not being strictly offline, but as long as you had XBL you could make nearly any race imaginable in FM4.

The actual career mode on FM4 was boring, the races were short, the delay between races was huge, sometimes longer than the race itself and really unplayable for me. I much prefer the GT Mode in GT6 over that.
I find the career of either game to be a waste of time. I honestly can't even remember a single GT5 event. GT6 may or may not have added more interesting content, but the narration did nothing for me. At least Forza was less restrictive without levels or licenses. I could make it to the endgame races pretty quickly.

The AI on Forza 4? It was horrible, they were slow and they would slam you all the time plus the odd physics on FM4 would usually cause your car to spin out when the AI brake checks you or hits the front of your car. I found it extremely annoying. I actually liked the AI in GT5P and GT5 better. None of which GT or FM is a challenge unless you use a lesser car.
FM4 AI is way behind human speed yes, but I think it's faster than GT's. It can certainly be more aggressive, maybe overbearingly so at times, but I've been able to have good races with them with a little car tweaking. I've found it harder to make GT AI competitive.

As for online Forza 2 rules. FM3 was a big disappointment especially online and 4 still is missing several things that made FM2 so good. At least GT lets us make tweaks to our cars in a lobby.
I've been away from GT online for a long time now, so I do have to go back to this. The ability to tune in lobby is as huge a plus as the ability to qualify. When it comes to racing though, Forza gives you many more options.

Did he ever get to the point of showing how GT wins on car count, track count, free online play, additional content for free via updates and so on or the fact that GT6 does nto require the purchase of a new console and that our existing Forza wheel systems work on GT6 but not on FM5?

Both GT and Forza require a console, so no advantage there besides the PS3 being cheaper to buy. Not every potential GT6 player is going to be a pre existing PS3 owner. Also consider that any sequels to GT will probably require a console upgrade. If you're getting into Forza now, you won't need to buy 2 consoles.

On the video, he didn't mention those, but I think he was looking at what experience you would get out of the games. He did explicitly mention that Forza has a hardware advantage, but that's the result of PD/Sony's choice to release on GT6. Conversely, it means that GT6 releases on a cheaper console.

There is no comparrision for us GT5/FM4 players IMO FM5 is about $1000 where GT6 is $60 or less and has 5 times as much content
As a GT5/FM4 player, I favor FM5 even when the price is factored in. The quality means that much to me. I've personally spent a lot more than $1000 on my main sim, Digital Combat Simulator. I could have spent $60 for Ace Combat, but it would have been wasted money. The same is true between Forza and GT, though the gap between games is a lot smaller and I'm not interested in the next gen consoles at the moment.

There's nothing unfair about it, it's not a school competition. They each made their own decision (be it themselves or their "superiors") on which platform they release and why, with each having its own ups and downs and these are the results we got.

I guess it would be fair to compare a PC Sim racing game like Asseto Corsca to Gran Turismo 6, since the developers for Asseto Corsca chose to develop the game on the PC, while PD decided to develop GT6 on the PS3. It's hard not to take in the fact when comparing GT6 and FM5 that Turn 10 had more resources to work with when developing Forza 5, due to that Xbox One is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.

I have two small problems with this comparison.
1) he used a fake GT6 logo, not the actual logo
2) he used the "Launch Edition" Viper with the glitched tachometer.

Other then that, I felt the comparison was pretty good.

It's not career. I was referring to the ability to use AI opponents in multiplayer rooms, you can make a race that's AI only. I guess technically this could be counted as not being strictly offline, but as long as you had XBL you could make nearly any race imaginable in FM4.
Ok Yes this is a good thing but is not offline racing as you must be online and have a gold subscription to run these races. This is the way I normally played FM4. I would set up an online race, max AI cars and a few friends, turn off collisions and hot lap while earning some credits and having some fun with friends. The addition of the AI cars helps a lot in terms of race payout though the AI is never a factor in the races.

I find the career of either game to be a waste of time. I honestly can't even remember a single GT5 event. GT6 may or may not have added more interesting content, but the narration did nothing for me. At least Forza was less restrictive without levels or licenses. I could make it to the endgame races pretty quickly.
GT5 has a few decent events, I have ran the 20 mile Willow Springs event several times and rather enjoyed it. I do wish there were more options but I like it much better than what was in FM3 and FM4. I did complete all the races in GT6, all but 3 in GT5 maybe 1/2 of the ones in FM3 and maybe 3% of the ones in FM4.

GT also gives a little incentive to run the offline races as they do award some prize cars, from what I hear there are no prize cars in FM5 at all and in 3 and 4 there were none tied to offline races. There is no level system in GT6, GT mode is much better than what was in GT5.

FM4 AI is way behind human speed yes, but I think it's faster than GT's. It can certainly be more aggressive, maybe overbearingly so at times, but I've been able to have good races with them with a little car tweaking. I've found it harder to make GT AI competitive.
It is just annoying, I find that the only challenge on FM is to get through that cluster of cars without them wiping you out and after that I just run away from them. On GT6 they are spread out a bit and the fastest car is up front so it takes longer to catch the lead car and there is less of a mess in the first corner.

I've been away from GT online for a long time now, so I do have to go back to this. The ability to tune in lobby is as huge a plus as the ability to qualify. When it comes to racing though, Forza gives you many more options.
We do need more options in GT lobbies for sure, I am still hoping that the community update arrives soon and adds some much needed features here.

Both GT and Forza require a console, so no advantage there besides the PS3 being cheaper to buy. Not every potential GT6 player is going to be a pre existing PS3 owner. Also consider that any sequels to GT will probably require a console upgrade. If you're getting into Forza now, you won't need to buy 2 consoles.
I did say GT5/FM4 players. which means they already have a PS3 and a 360 and some of us also own Fanatec Wheels. So to get GT6 up and running I need only to buy the game and play it. To get FM5 up and running I have to buy a console, then the best wheel they have which is apparently not as good as the one I already own and I still have to pay the subscription to live just to play, add to that the fact that they took out the tracks I spent the most time on and slashed the car list, It is a much worse buy than GT6.

On the video, he didn't mention those, but I think he was looking at what experience you would get out of the games. He did explicitly mention that Forza has a hardware advantage, but that's the result of PD/Sony's choice to release on GT6. Conversely, it means that GT6 releases on a cheaper console.
I figured as much, the more I watched the more he was coming off as a fanboy of the Forza series. So it stands to reason that he would not call attention to the areas where GT6 destroys FM5 in a big way. How can you not count the variety of cars and tracks into any honest comparrision?

As a GT5/FM4 player, I favor FM5 even when the price is factored in. The quality means that much to me. I've personally spent a lot more than $1000 on my main sim, Digital Combat Simulator. I could have spent $60 for Ace Combat, but it would have been wasted money. The same is true between Forza and GT, though the gap between games is a lot smaller and I'm not interested in the next gen consoles at the moment.
For me there are many factors but the biggest one was the way they pushed the Fanatec wheels for FM3 and then again for FM4 and then dropped all support for them on the new system. This is inexcusable and it means that I can not even get a wheel of equal quality to the one I have now to work on that system.

The only way they would get me to purchase that game would be if they open the system up to work with the wheels they convinced us to buy [wheels that cost as much as the XB1 btw] I will not throw money at that console and more money at a new wheel for it. Frankly after hearing a few of my friends who did buy the game I am not missing much.

Just noticed this
Forza isn't wrong in allowing lockup even with ABS on

LOL.

You do know that ABS= Anti Lock Brake not always lock brake

In other words it is to prevent the wheels from locking, I haven't driven FM5 but on 3 and 4 it was horribly wrong. GT is much better here as was FM2

Last edited:
As far as offline goes, Forza (at least 4) let you set up completely custom races to the last detail. It annihilates GT when it comes to offline racing because of that alone, and the AI is better.
Got to disagree with this. The Forza A.I. got so bad I couldn't take it anymore. Then GT6 came out, and I haven't looked back.

Edit: one thing I forgot about Forza's bots, 1-4 for which I have experience, the job of the cars in front of you is to slow you down, so the cars behind you can begin harassing you and even ramming you off the track. Some serious racing, there... :P

While I would love to have an Event Maker to create any race imaginable, those Forza bots kill any desire to give it another go.

Physics wise, I like both of them for what they do right. Forza makes racing a sports car feel dangerous, like it should be. However, GT6 has made me fall in love with low powered cars because its physics and car kinetics are so well done. Even as good as F4's physics are, I couldn't wait to get away from their dinkmobiles and power up some serious race cars. And then get sick of the bots... :P Though the Livery Editor and body mod options are to die for.

I do think it's remarkable that a previous gen GT6 compares well to a next gen Forza. :sly:

Last edited:
While I agree with alot of the obvious things this guy says,I dont agree with the actual driving verdict.My brother has an Xbox one and Forza 5 and;while also a great game;it (to me) feels less like a simulation than GT6(using a controller,how the average gamer plays).Also Forza has the unfair advantage of being on hardware thats 3 months old vs seven years,so I really don't understand the point of this at all
edit:isnt the ps3 actually 8 now?

Last edited:
GT5 has a few decent events, I have ran the 20 mile Willow Springs event several times and rather enjoyed it. I do wish there were more options but I like it much better than what was in FM3 and FM4. I did complete all the races in GT6, all but 3 in GT5 maybe 1/2 of the ones in FM3 and maybe 3% of the ones in FM4.

Willow Springs isn't in GT5, you're confusing it with GT6.

You do know that ABS= Anti Lock Brake not always lock brake

In other words it is to prevent the wheels from locking, I haven't driven FM5 but on 3 and 4 it was horribly wrong. GT is much better here as was FM2

Have you ever tried a hard stop in a car with ABS in real life? You know that chirping noise you get? That's the tyres locking and being released. Older ABS systems were pretty brutal about it, you really got shaken around, it was a big judder and you'd probably see black dashed lines on the road behind where you tried to stop. Modern systems are more advanced and modulate faster, but most of them still take the wheel to or very near to locking point before they release the pressure. That's the chirping as the tyre starts to slide on the road. They're just much quicker at detecting and responding to a locked wheel.

Still the best ABS in game I've used is iRacing. Unique feel by car, and the judder is pretty vicious or not as appropriate for the car being driven.

Then GT6 came out, and I haven't looked back.
Got to disagree with you on this one. The Ai in GT6, while an improvement over GT5, is still way too slow to be any sort of threat. I literally have to be driving an underpowered car just to get some sort of challenge and the chase the rabbit races involving these Ai are annoying.

I like that Forza 4 not only restricted you for events (GT6's restrictions are hilarious) but also raised the Performance Index of the cars you'd go up against. Sure, they're not great but to me they're miles better than GT6.

On another note, why are people complaining about a PS3 vs XBONE comparison. Videos compare these two and PC sims all the time. Even if you did Forza 4 vs Gran Turismo 6, I believe F4 would've had the edge. GT6 is just way too behind current Sim Standards.

Willow Springs isn't in GT5, you're confusing it with GT6.
I meant to say GT6. I did not notice that I had typed GT5

Have you ever tried a hard stop in a car with ABS in real life? You know that chirping noise you get? That's the tyres locking and being released. Older ABS systems were pretty brutal about it, you really got shaken around, it was a big judder and you'd probably see black dashed lines on the road behind where you tried to stop. Modern systems are more advanced and modulate faster, but most of them still take the wheel to or very near to locking point before they release the pressure. That's the chirping as the tyre starts to slide on the road. They're just much quicker at detecting and responding to a locked wheel.
yes I fully understand the way ABS works IRL. The gripe with Forza 3 and 4 is that the brakes will lock up and that is exactly what the ABS is supposed to prevent. And no I am not talking about the tires tryign to lock and giving little chirps that game the wheels lock up and go into a skid, the ABS does not work. You should get little chirps out of the tires as they try to lock and the ABS releases a little to allow the wheels to roll. This does not happen on FM3 or 4 they do lock up and stay locked until you release the brake or crash.

Ideally you should get the little chirps as the tires try to lock but if this can not be done then the best option is to not allow the wheels to lock as they have done in GT and they had did in FM2. Locking up and skidding with ABS on is just nonsense.

Forza does have its strengths and GT could take some notes and be better for it but the same is true for Forza taking notes from GT

- phisics cant be evaluated without real world telemetry, because real world telemetry is what realy matters when judging how close a simulation is to real life phisics. so, where is the telemetry of a professional driver/bathrurst/viper to compare with all sims?
- braking, where is the real world data to compare?
- wheels FFB, how well they transfer the sense of phisics to the driver dont prove how much realist those phisics are.

Last edited:
I'm going to say this - GT6 feels very professionally put together, and it's very clinical in its approach. It does its absolute best to mimic reality, and that may not always be the most beautiful way. This can make it dull or boring to people who are used to other racing games. From everything I know about Forza, it has huge amounts of effort put into things, but each element is slightly overdone - ie the lighting, the car textures etc, and it can make everything look horribly saturated. The physics are still my main gripe with Forza though. Cars feel hollow for some reason - they give you no pleasure in driving them, and the controls feels as though they have no linear connection to the car.

In summary, GT is so clinical it may just bore some people to death. On the other hand, Forza's full on approach can make things fall into the unrealistic spectrum.

Platform has no bearing on their review comparison. They highlighted GT6's strengths such as visuals and atmosphere, and physics, but acknowledged the shortcomings such as fps letting down the game, sounds, lack of damage. It was a very fair comparison. Like Darren G said, PD could really close the gap between both series if they fixed the problems, even on PS3 vs XB1 never mind PS4.

Anybody with GT6 knows that it could be great, but just isn't. I like it but Aaarrrgghhh.

I guess it would be fair to compare a PC Sim racing game like Asseto Corsca to Gran Turismo 6, since the developers for Asseto Corsca chose to develop the game on the PC, while PD decided to develop GT6 on the PS3.

Of course you can and once you do, you will come to the conclusion that they are games aiming to satisfy a very different group of people whereas Forza and GT are directly competing with one another which makes a comparison between the two almost mandatory.

It's hard not to take in the fact when comparing GT6 and FM5 that Turn 10 had more resources to work with when developing Forza 5, due to that Xbox One is more powerful than the PS3 and 360.

Depends on how you compare them. A direct comparison of the visuals (textures, models etc.) would obviously be one-sided due to the hardware difference but a comparison of the feeling of the games, much like in this video, is not that hardware-dependant.

In many of the areas that Forza5 came on top in the comparison, even Forza 1 on the original xbox would have. It really isn't about hardware.

Improve the sounds, remove the damage and run it on PS4
Then GT6 would be perfect (in my opinion)

PS: If I'd owned a XB1 I would play Forza 5, it looks really good.

Back