Gran Turismo 6 vs Forza Motorsport 5-Test Drive SRT 2013@Bathurst

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 451 comments
Wow a lot butthurt members here. Like somebody said, even if this was FM4 vs GT6, Forza 4 would still win in the same aspects as FM5. Very fair comparsion by Darin. Oh, and can somebody show me a video of the rocks flying under the car ect, other than going off track and rally racing of course?

If i were you guys, i would completely ignore any comparisons between GT6 and Forza 5.

1. Bias is hard to avoid
2. They run on different technology
3. How often are you actually going to run both games, side-by-side, at the same time?

Before i upgraded my computer, i was perfectly fine and happy with playing games on low-medium settings, i still thought the games looked brilliant. After upgrading, and turning settings up to high-veryhigh, i thought, this looks even better, i won't go back to the lower settings now.

But while i was stuck with the lower settings, i didn't know any better, so it didn't bother me.
The focus on graphics now is why games are getting shorter and shorter, and games that are still fairly long are only so becuase of a higher difficulty setting, in order to make it longer. Rather than making it longer by more content.

yes I fully understand the way ABS works IRL. The gripe with Forza 3 and 4 is that the brakes will lock up and that is exactly what the ABS is supposed to prevent. And no I am not talking about the tires tryign to lock and giving little chirps that game the wheels lock up and go into a skid, the ABS does not work. You should get little chirps out of the tires as they try to lock and the ABS releases a little to allow the wheels to roll. This does not happen on FM3 or 4 they do lock up and stay locked until you release the brake or crash.

Ideally you should get the little chirps as the tires try to lock but if this can not be done then the best option is to not allow the wheels to lock as they have done in GT and they had did in FM2. Locking up and skidding with ABS on is just nonsense.

That whole section was the last in a series of responses to:

Even with ABS turned on you get stuttering lock-ups under braking which aid in crashing off the track.

That's in FM5. I haven't got the game myself, and the time I spent playing it was with ABS off so I can't verify, but that's what started the conversation. The original complaint was that the behaviour in FM5 was wrong. It sounds awfully like an old school ABS system to me. For some cars it will be inaccurate compared to their actual braking systems, but as a generic one-size fits all ABS system it seems to be a valid choice. Some people won't like it, but then the ABS system on the iRacing Miata scared the **** out of me the first time I kicked into it as well. I thought I'd broken my wheel or something. :D

I think once people get used to it, that style of ABS is more valuable as a learning tool than the GT super-smooth braking way. With the kickback, it gives you feedback as to exactly where the wheels are starting to lock, if you're looking to develop your braking touch to move to non-ABS, while still providing the safety of the assist if you go over. If you want to learn in GT you just have to turn it off, as there's really no feeling to distinguish where full braking power is with ABS on.

I think the kickback naturally tends to encourage people to avoid it, because it's kind of annoying. People will naturally tend to try to brake "properly", even when using ABS. I think that's kind of neat design to encourage people to become better drivers, or at least encourage learning behaviour. Again, maybe some people don't want to learn and just want to mash the brakes. Their loss I suppose.

You do know that ABS= Anti Lock Brake not always lock brake

In other words it is to prevent the wheels from locking, I haven't driven FM5 but on 3 and 4 it was horribly wrong. GT is much better here as was FM2

TCS = Traction Control System. Traction can still be lost. Yes, ABS can allow wheel lock up. I've locked up the brakes on my own car driving on the highway. It comes with ABS.

TCS = Traction Control System. Traction can still be lost. Yes, ABS can allow wheel lock up. I've locked up the brakes on my own car driving on the highway. It comes with ABS.
Depends on how you apply the brakes. If you stomp on the brake, you lock up. If you slowly apply pressure, no lock up.

This thread has brought all the people who defend GT to the n'th degree out of the woodwork.

I thought it was a very fair comparison, I didn't notice he was on SS in GT6 though. It probably would have been better for GT if he had been on the "right" tire for the physics score, but I still don't think it would have mattered in the outcome score.

This review is just validation of what everyone already knows, PD needs to get it together.

Side note: I'm surprised GT6 didn't freeze on him before the downhill at Bathurst like it has for so many people.

Not a bad comparison, I guess. Was to be expected that FM5 will win, but was good nonetheless.

Although I'll say this. Day/cycle and weather in racing games for me, which GT6 has btw. :sly:

EDIT: Although I will be getting FM5 at some point in the future. Probably alongside with FH2.

Last edited:
Depends on how you apply the brakes. If you stomp on the brake, you lock up. If you slowly apply pressure, no lock up.

Not true. If you're braking hard enough for the ABS system to kick in, you'll be chirping/locking the tyres, depending on what the system allows.

However, if you brake more progressively you're less likely to be applying huge instantaneous loads to the tyres, leading them to be less likely to lock up and less likely for the ABS to kick in at all. Which I assume is what you were meaning and in which case you're right, but once you're in the ABS zone you'll be getting a certain amount of "lock up", regardless of how you got there. That's just how the systems are designed to work.

Side note: I'm surprised GT6 didn't freeze on him before the downhill at Bathurst like it has for so many people.
Really? I've driven almost 3000 miles on Bathurst already I had one freeze online coming up to the final corner and no freezes in GT mode during any race. The man only drove a few laps the odds of freezing where almost 0

As for the ABS system, In FM3 and 4 I ended up getting a set of CS pedals and just turning ABS off. My friends who used a controller or the MS wheel were really complaining about it on 4

Really? I've driven almost 3000 miles on Bathurst already I had one freeze online coming up to the final corner and no freezes in GT mode during any race. The man only drove a few laps the odds of freezing where almost 0

As for the ABS system, In FM3 and 4 I ended up getting a set of CS pedals and just turning ABS off.

I've had the game completely freeze while on track twice, both in race mode online before the downhill. Everything freezes and becomes unresponsive, my G27 spins all the way to the left and hits the lock when it happens and you have to hard shut down the PS3 with a triple beep. The last time it happened 3 other guys told me it has happened to them as well when I got back in the room. I have friends that can confirm it's happened, considering they weren't far behind me when it did.

Not a bad comparison, I guess. Was to be expected that FM5 will win, but was good nonetheless.

Curious why you say it should be expected Forza would win? Because it's on a next gen system? If so I disagree.

Not true. If you're braking hard enough for the ABS system to kick in, you'll be chirping/locking the tyres, depending on what the system allows.

However, if you brake more progressively you're less likely to be applying huge instantaneous loads to the tyres, leading them to be less likely to lock up and less likely for the ABS to kick in at all. Which I assume is what you were meaning and in which case you're right, but once you're in the ABS zone you'll be getting a certain amount of "lock up", regardless of how you got there. That's just how the systems are designed to work.
I didn't word it very well, that's what I was trying to say.

Curious why you say it should be expected Forza would win? Because it's on a next gen system? If so I disagree.
Really? That "because said game is on a next gen console" quote people use has gone too typical. What I meant was it was expected Forza would win because it does things better than GT. Although the physics, the cars oversteer way too easily imo.

Really? That "because said game is on a next gen console" quote people use has gone too typical. What I meant was it was expected Forza would win because it does things better than GT. Although the physics, the cars oversteer way too easily imo.
Racing cars slide like in NFS Shift. Everything feels numb and slushy.

Good video but this guy seems to have never driven that car in real life so I would not pay so much attention. He basically says, I can control the car better in F5 therefore its better... no it isnt, maybe F5 is just more arcade....

Another thing I noticed is that he doesnt seem to know that damage in GT6 can only be enabled in online lobbies, so...

I think it's up to the reviewer to do his research on the game before he marks it down incorrectly.

This isn't a full review where he lists every single feature of the game in detail and jumps through hoops to find everything. He just did a few laps on each with the same car and gave his thoughts. If there is no damage in time trials, he reports there was no damage in the laps he performed.

This isn't a full review where he lists every single feature of the game in detail. He just did a few laps on each with the same car and gave his thoughts. If there is no damage in time trials, he reports there was no damage in the laps he performed.
The way I took it from @NixxxoN was he made a general comment about the game, saying that the whole thing lacks a damage model.

I think GT fans can be so critical of Forza 'fanboys' that we don't realise the image we're painting of ourselves.

I was saying I disagree that Forza "should" win because it's on a next gen console. I don't think that GT6 is on PS3 and Forza 5 is on Xbox One matters.

For the record I've only driven Forza twice. I played the original Forza Demo for the original XBOX, and Forza 3 once briefly on a controller at a friends house, so I can't comment on the physics and feel of Forza 4 or 5.

Good video but this guy seems to have never driven that car in real life so I would not pay so much attention. He basically says, I can control the car better in F5 therefore its better... no it isnt, maybe F5 is just more arcade....

Another thing I noticed is that he doesnt seem to know that damage in GT6 can only be enabled in online lobbies, so...

I thought that was how they set up GT6 for the comparison, set it to multiplayer and ran on his own to enable any possible damage?

I was saying I disagree that Forza "should" win because it's on a next gen console. I don't think that GT6 is on PS3 and Forza 5 is on Xbox One matters.
Agreed. :)👍
For the record I've only driven Forza twice. I played the original Forza Demo for the original XBOX, and Forza 3 once briefly on a controller at a friends house, so I can't comment on the physics and feel of Forza 4 or 5.

I haven't played Forza 5 yet, but I did play Forza 4 though (which my second post about the physics was based off of). Like you, I've also played Forza 1 (even said it was better than GT4 at the time when I first played it). Although I didn't get to play FM2 (I wish), but I did play FM3. :)

Yes... He does. Did you watch the video? He said he made an online lobby to test damage.

Anyways, I don't care who says what. Comparing a 7 year old game (basically) to a 3 month old game (basically) is completely unfair. If you want to compare features or car/track lists, sure, go ahead. But when you compare graphics and literal gameplay, it's stupid and unjustified. Why don't you compare Forza 1 to GT5 then?

Yes... He does. Did you watch the video? He said he made an online lobby to test damage.

Anyways, I don't care who says what. Comparing a 7 year old game (basically) to a 3 month old game (basically) is completely unfair.

Im guessing your calling GT6 7 years old due to dev time on GT5 & 6? If so surly the 7 year old game should be near perfect compared to 3 months? (Still trying to figure out where the 3 months comes from)

Im guessing your calling GT6 7 years old due to dev time on GT5 & 6? If so surly the 7 year old game should be near perfect compared to 3 months? (Still trying to figure out where the 3 months comes from)
The only thing I can think of would be if he is referring to the console, both games are new releases

Back