Gran Turismo 6 vs Forza Motorsport 5-Test Drive SRT 2013@Bathurst

  • Thread starter Thread starter super_gt
  • 451 comments
  • 42,922 views
GT's physics engine really sucks

No it doesn't. It may not be the best but it does a lot of things well, and some things not so well. I definitely wouldn't say it sucks though.
 
Forza isn't what it should be.

Gran Turismo isn't what it should be.

Doesn't really matter if one "beats" the other - they're both below par.

Agreed. 👍

get.gif
 
what an awful lot of nonsense this thread contains... starting with the non-sense comparison video, obviously.

Next time I'll go compare 1980's Arkanoid with Battlefield 4 or Crysis
PD chose to release on the PS3 and release at around the same time as Forza. That's their problem.
 
PD chose to release on the PS3 and release at around the same time as Forza. That's their problem.
What are you talking about? This is completely irrelevant. The systems are totally uncomparable on so many levels no matter the game's launch date. Its like comparing PES 2010 on PS2 and PS3 when they were both launched together. Different systems, one is much newer and much more powerful.

Forza isn't what it should be.

Gran Turismo isn't what it should be.

Doesn't really matter if one "beats" the other - they're both below par.
GT is not what YOU think should be, it's what Kaz thinks it should be.

More or less the same for Forza, but they are probably more "sold out" to the audience


Edit: sorry double post
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The physics in GT6 are far better than F5. GT6 feels like there are more physical actions and reactions taking place. As if there is just more going on; ie suspension travel and the tires reacted to the road and vehicle.

Anyone I've come across who raves about forza doesn't care about the physics. ZOMG you can even change pistons! Ok? But every car drives like a race car lol.
Such a try hard. From what I've heard, Forza's physics are BY FAR, much better than GT6's physics. So go ahead and blindly believe anyone, even a little kid, that players play Forza for not its physics when I myself and others heard the opposite.
 
Such a try hard. From what I've heard, Forza's physics are BY FAR, much better than GT6's physics. So go ahead and blindly believe anyone, even a little kid, that players play Forza for not its physics when I myself and others heard the opposite.
Forza is definitely less of a simulator than GT.
 
Its like comparing PES 2010 on PS2 and PS3 when they were both launched together.

But people do compare in situations like that. They want to know how much better the game on the newer system is.

Forza is definitely less of a simulator than GT.

I'm sure you'll have no problem providing objective evidence for that claim.
 
How have you arrived at this bold conclusion?
Its an opinion like yours, I think its a more accurate one than yours too (because you said "by far")

But people do compare in situations like that. They want to know how much better the game on the newer system is.
What kind of people would question which is the better game in the technical aspect? And that includes the gameplay too of course (better visuals and no FPS drops). Having a much newer and much powerful system implies that the game has so much possibilities of being better, that it is not fair. Its like they wanted to trash the game on the older system on purpose (in this case, GT6)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Its an opinion like yours, I think its a more accurate one than yours too (because you said "by far")
So it's based on nothing then.

Having a much newer and much powerful system implies that the game has so much possibilities of being better, that it is not fair.
Then it's a real shame PD or Sony made the choice to handicap the game so much compared to its direct competition. Still doesn't mean it isn't competition.
 
Hi, I'm Imari.

Now you've come across someone who likes Forza and thinks that physics are very important.
Hi, I'm 332i. Oh, sorry. Forgot every post shows my screen name. What are you doing liking forza then, if you're all about zeh physics?

Such a try hard. From what I've heard, Forza's physics are BY FAR, much better than GT6's physics. So go ahead and blindly believe anyone, even a little kid, that players play Forza for not its physics when I myself and others heard the opposite.
I've told you before, people on other forums have like-minded opinions on you, too. Even reddit. You quote my posts, expecting that I will address what you've written. We both figured out that was a waste of time a bit ago. Not even going to bother disecting the above. Your arguments turn into train wrecks lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone I've come across who raves about forza doesn't care about the physics. ZOMG you can even change pistons! Ok? But every car drives like a race car lol.

Hi, I'm Slip.

Now you've come across someone else who likes Forza and thinks that physics are very important.
 
So it's based on nothing then.

Then it's a real shame PD or Sony made the choice to handicap the game so much compared to its direct competition. Still doesn't mean it isn't competition.
Its based on my impressions and reading many opinions (opinions of mature, non-fanboyesque people, who have knowledge about driving)
Its not about handicapping, its about releasing the 2nd game of the PS3 platform which many people have (in comparison to the PS4) therefore many more people can enjoy.
Nice try though
 
PD chose to release on the PS3 and release at around the same time as Forza. That's their problem.
People get miffed over GT6 being on PS3. The sales were mediocre with GT6 on PS3. How do you think that would have gone on PS4, of which has very few games released and therefore - far far far far far far far less PS4s are in the homes of people, compared to PS3s, which are a dime a dozen. Putting GT6 on ps4 at that time would have made GT6 the last GT game and possibly the last PD game. Being released at the same time as forza is irrelevant. If someone has an Xbox, there is a good chance they bought forza5 anyways, because there are no other racing games that aren't just NASCAR or a cartoon for that console.

Hi, I'm Slip.

Now you've come across someone else who likes Forza and thinks that physics are very important.
Congrats? And I am sure there are many, but not in the grand scheme, considering GT6 and upwards as far as physics go. Did I say there are not any people interested in Forza, who are not interested in physics? Nope, sorry. I said everyone I've come across who raved about forza, doesn't care about physics. Verbatim. Would you like to rave about how fantastically forza is masterpiece? If so, please tell us what is so incredible about forza and it's physics, sans graphics and sound. I want to hear you rave about the meat and potatoes.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@332i and @NixxxoN - Stop double posting, the Edit button and multi-quote features exist for a reason.

Its based on my impressions and reading many opinions (opinions of mature, non-fanboyesque people, who have knowledge about driving)

Right. So, like Tornado said, still nothing then.

If GT6 is so far in front of the competition in simulation aspects, you really shouldn't have any trouble at all explaining why that is.

Its not about handicapping, its about releasing the 2nd game of the PS3 platform which many people have (in comparison to the PS4) therefore many more people can enjoy.
Nice try though

It is about handicapping. PD might have chosen to release on the PS3 for the reason you suggested - we don't know that as fact - but regardless, as a first-party developer, we do know they've known and had access to the PS4 for about as long as any party could have. Not utilizing the power available to them is choosing a handicap. Deciding to up the resolution in comparison to a game that already struggled to hit its performance targets was also choosing a handicap.

People get miffed over GT6 being on PS3. The sales were mediocre with GT6 on PS3. How do you think that would have gone on PS4, of which has very few games released and therefore - far far far far far far far less PS4s are in the homes of people, compared to PS3s, which are a dime a dozen. Putting GT6 on ps4 at that time would have made GT6 the last GT game and possibly the last PD game.

Yep, because GT3 released within a year of PS2's release date, and that game was a definite sales failure. Oh, wait.

Congrats? And I am sure there are many, but not in the grand cm scheme, considering GT6 and upwards as far as physics go.

There is no upwards. There is GT6, a game which FM4 still has licked in most simulation aspects.
 
@332i and @NixxxoN - Stop double posting, the Edit button and multi-quote features exist for a reason.



Right. So, like Tornado said, still nothing then.

If GT6 is so far in front of the competition in simulation aspects, you really shouldn't have any trouble at all explaining why that is.



It is about handicapping. PD might have chosen to release on the PS3 for the reason you suggested - we don't know that as fact - but regardless, as a first-party developer, we do know they've known and had access to the PS4 for about as long as any party could have. Not utilizing the power available to them is choosing a handicap. Deciding to up the resolution in comparison to a game that already struggled to hit its performance targets was also choosing a handicap.



Yep, because GT3 released within a year of PS2's release date, and that game was a definite sales failure. Oh, wait.



There is no upwards. There is GT6, a game which FM4 still has licked in most simulation aspects.
GT3 is too long ago. The market is far different. PS4 hasn't kicked off anything like the PS3 did. Sales did well...no one uses them much lol. Consider the fact that they were working on GT6 before they could develop for PS4, too. Because you are not..

There is no upwards? Forza4 licked GT6? Lol, ok. You funny, mang. I have no retorts for that, because it is that far fetched. Having played both and many other sims, that must be satire.

BTW, I'm on my phone. Multiquote doesn't work right for the mobile version with mine. Idk if it is my browser or what, but I'll just wait a few and see if more replies come or copy and paste.
 
Last edited:
@332i and @NixxxoN - Stop double posting, the Edit button and multi-quote features exist for a reason.

Right. So, like Tornado said, still nothing then.

If GT6 is so far in front of the competition in simulation aspects, you really shouldn't have any trouble at all explaining why that is.

It is about handicapping. PD might have chosen to release on the PS3 for the reason you suggested - we don't know that as fact - but regardless, as a first-party developer, we do know they've known and had access to the PS4 for about as long as any party could have. Not utilizing the power available to them is choosing a handicap. Deciding to up the resolution in comparison to a game that already struggled to hit its performance targets was also choosing a handicap.
-There should be an option to remove your own posts (in this case the double posts) like most forums have :/

-Its nothing because you say so? Then no opinion about this is relevant. No one can have an opinion!

-What would really be handicapping is releasing the game for the PS4, because of the PS4 system sales. Handicapped in revenue that is. Also the fact that PS4 has not free online compared to the PS3 is also handicap aswell.

Sometimes I have the feeling I'm on ForzaPlanet rather than GTPlanet, with all this anti-GT comments and pro-forza comments, its funny.
 
99% of forums just merge the posts now lol
 
GT3 is too long ago. The market is far different. PS4 hasn't kicked off anything like the PS3 did.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2 vs http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/10/12/ps4-vs-xbox-one-sony-keeps-widening-gap-passing-month/

The PS4 is slightly behind the PS2's uptake rate, though I'll admit the PS2's is skewed by the delayed worldwide rollout. That being said, 11.5 million within less than a year is mighty impressive for the PS4, and considering the utter dearth of racing games on it so far, one could only imagine what percentage of those millions would've grabbed something like the headlining Sony racing franchise. 50% of XBOne owners have played FM5, and I personally see no reason that wouldn't have been a similar situation for the PS4 and a hypothetical GT6 on that system.

There is no upwards?

Nope. Since GT6 is the current release, we're comparing GT6.

Forza4 licked GT6? Lol, ok. You funny, mang. I have no retorts for that, because it is that far fetched. Having played both and many other sims, that must be satire.

So which is it? You want reasons (of which there is plenty of discussion - right here), but will dismiss any opinion that isn't pro-GT as satire or impossible. Yep, I can foresee nothing but balanced, unbiased posts.

BTW, I'm on my phone. Multiquote doesn't work right for the mobile version with mine. Idk if it is my browser or what, but I'll just wait a few and see if more replies come or copy and paste.

I too post plenty on my phone. Use the original GTP12 method of multi-quoting (hitting the Reply button on every post you'd like to respond to) and it works fine 👍

-There should be an option to remove your own posts (in this case the double posts) like most forums have :/

That causes as many problems as it solves.

-Its nothing because you say so? Then no opinion about this is relevant. No one can have an opinion!

I see nothing substantial. Use your words. "So and so said x game is better than y" doesn't amount to much.

-What would really be handicapping is releasing the game for the PS4, because of the PS4 system sales. Handicapped in revenue that is. Also the fact that PS4 has not free online compared to the PS3 is also handicap aswell.

See above PS4 sales discussion. With regards to online play: you get what you pay for.

Sometimes I have the feeling I'm on ForzaPlanet rather than GTPlanet, with all this anti-GT comments and pro-forza comments, its funny.

Yep. As someone who's so disgusted with some recent community issues with Forza that I've changed my mind about owning the system for the near future (where I was originally going to be picking up a One around the holidays), and am considering trading in all the previous versions of the game too, I'm definitely pro-Forza.

Sometimes I find it funny that some members see racing franchises like wives, only willing to stick with one. If a game has a weak aspect, criticisms are one of the better ways that aspect might be improved. I've grown up with GT, and some parts of it leave a lot to be desired. It's a far more honest approach than something that equates to roughly "Oh GT, some people are saying other games have better physics, but don't listen to them, you're beautiful!".
 
Irrespective of personal preference around Forza or GT offering the least-bad-compromise in terms of physics (I just say buy everything and enjoy it all), I will say one thing for staying power:

I ran GT5 regularly for 3 years, and Forza 4 likewise regularly for 2 years. I clocked up around 10,000km per year per game according to their indicators. In that time (before Forza 5 or GT6 release) I saw Forza's rivals challenges dwindle from 200-300,000 entries per month to barely 15,000 entries. GT5, despite being a year older, was still pulling an easy 100,000+ on each biweekly time trial. Sure, it's just one metric, but it's an easy one to check.

That level of commitment from the GT gamers is seriously impressive, even when everyone will admit that PD doesn't make it easy to enjoy GT with all the clunkiness of the interface and gaps in functionality. It tells me that a whole bunch of people appreciate the core gameplay (buy car, tune car, drive car, enjoy physics/FFB and pretty pictures).


I do wonder how many people play Forza 5 regularly just 1 year after launch, as compared to GT6. Anyone?
 
Irrespective of personal preference around Forza or GT offering the least-bad-compromise in terms of physics (I just say buy everything and enjoy it all), I will say one thing for staying power:

I ran GT5 regularly for 3 years, and Forza 4 likewise regularly for 2 years. I clocked up around 10,000km per year per game according to their indicators. In that time (before Forza 5 or GT6 release) I saw Forza's rivals challenges dwindle from 200-300,000 entries per month to barely 15,000 entries. GT5, despite being a year older, was still pulling an easy 100,000+ on each biweekly time trial. Sure, it's just one metric, but it's an easy one to check.

That level of commitment from the GT gamers is seriously impressive, even when everyone will admit that PD doesn't make it easy to enjoy GT with all the clunkiness of the interface and gaps in functionality. It tells me that a whole bunch of people appreciate the core gameplay (buy car, tune car, drive car, enjoy physics/FFB and pretty pictures).


I do wonder how many people play Forza 5 regularly just 1 year after launch, as compared to GT6. Anyone?
I wouldn't be surprised regarding rival vs seasonal events that FM5 has around about 5-10% of the entries compared to GT6 seasonal events. I will check later today to see entries for some of the events as it will be interesting to compare situation now.
 
Did I say there are not any people interested in Forza, who are not interested in physics?

Did anyone say that you did? You said you'd never come across any, so @SlipZtrEm and I introduced ourselves to you.

Would you like to rave about how fantastically forza is masterpiece? If so, please tell us what is so incredible about forza and it's physics, sans graphics and sound. I want to hear you rave about the meat and potatoes.

If you'd like to hear it, sure. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, I've got a whole list of stuff wrong with it but I do think it does physics better than GT.

I find the way the tuning options (camber, ride height, etc.) in Forza change the car behaviour are more consistent with what I would expect a real car to do than GT.
I find that the weight transfer is affected by throttle position in a way that I feel is more realistic, and I think that's an important part of driving fast.
I find several aspects of the tyre model more appealing:
-The overall grip levels seem more correct for the type of tyres they're labelled as. Racing tyres in GT are nuts.
-The ability to adjust pressures is a big deal. If you go to a real track day with your own street car it may be one of the only things you're actually able to adjust easily, and it makes a huge difference to how a car drives.
-The way the cars lose grip in Forza feels better to me, particularly on lower grip tyres. There's more of an edge between grip and slip, and it's easier to ride it.
I find that having telemetry is really useful. Driving in a game doesn't give you a whole lot of feedback when stuff goes wrong, so being able to actually see what the important parts of the car are doing is great.

I find how I drive in Forza is more like how I drive in iRacing (which I consider to still be the leading publically available simulation) and how I drive when I go to a track day, although it's still got a fair way to go in my opinion. GT is pretty good, but less so than Forza.

If I had to describe my subjective experience of the difference in a short sentence, I'd say that Forza errs on the side of making the cars too frisky, and GT errs on the side of making them too stable. I find I really have to chuck cars around pretty violently in GT to get them to do what I want, where in Forza they're more responsive, possibly too responsive. As a keen driver with no real problems controlling an overly responsive car, I don't think it's surprising that I'd choose Forza.


But hey, if you just want to assume that I'm some troll with no idea what I'm talking about then go ahead. If so, let me know and I'll add you to my ignore list so I don't waste my time trying to converse with someone who has no interest in having a rational discussion.
 
If I had to describe my subjective experience of the difference in a short sentence, I'd say that Forza errs on the side of making the cars too frisky, and GT errs on the side of making them too stable. .
Good summary.

Interestingly, my recent experience with iRacing is that the latest iterations of the NTM are heading towards more stability and less frisky compared to the OTM (although I don't have a huge selection of cars owned).

Personally I think AC (since the latest couple of updates which got the tyre model back to being progressive) hits the spot nicely: You can powerslide at will, but only if you initiate properly.
 
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2 vs http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/10/12/ps4-vs-xbox-one-sony-keeps-widening-gap-passing-month/

The PS4 is slightly behind the PS2's uptake rate, though I'll admit the PS2's is skewed by the delayed worldwide rollout. That being said, 11.5 million within less than a year is mighty impressive for the PS4, and considering the utter dearth of racing games on it so far, one could only imagine what percentage of those millions would've grabbed something like the headlining Sony racing franchise. 50% of XBOne owners have played FM5, and I personally see no reason that wouldn't have been a similar situation for the PS4 and a hypothetical GT6 on that system.



Nope. Since GT6 is the current release, we're comparing GT6.



So which is it? You want reasons (of which there is plenty of discussion - right here), but will dismiss any opinion that isn't pro-GT as satire or impossible. Yep, I can foresee nothing but balanced, unbiased posts.



I too post plenty on my phone. Use the original GTP12 method of multi-quoting (hitting the Reply button on every post you'd like to respond to) and it works fine 👍



That causes as many problems as it solves.



I see nothing substantial. Use your words. "So and so said x game is better than y" doesn't amount to much.



See above PS4 sales discussion. With regards to online play: you get what you pay for.



Yep. As someone who's so disgusted with some recent community issues with Forza that I've changed my mind about owning the system for the near future (where I was originally going to be picking up a One around the holidays), and am considering trading in all the previous versions of the game too, I'm definitely pro-Forza.

Sometimes I find it funny that some members see racing franchises like wives, only willing to stick with one. If a game has a weak aspect, criticisms are one of the better ways that aspect might be improved. I've grown up with GT, and some parts of it leave a lot to be desired. It's a far more honest approach than something that equates to roughly "Oh GT, some people are saying other games have better physics, but don't listen to them, you're beautiful!".
Lol I really don't even know how to respond to this. Plenty to say, but not worth the time to retort. I play GT6, but I'm not a GT franchise fan, let alone a fanboy before you outsmart yourself on that one. The upwards bit is true, because yes gt6 is it. I misunderstood, be cause I've never seen someone use the word upwards as a noun.

I can see from here that you just like to argue, so I'll let other people continue to remind that f4 and f5 can't take it to gt6. Looks and sounds. That's all it got on it's side over GT6. Any other train of thought is jaded.
 
To me, FM5 and iRacing are probably the worst driving simulations game I've played over the last year. I think both games could do with big improvements in their tyre models and get cars to have more mechanical grip.
 
To me, FM5 and iRacing are probably the worst driving simulations game I've played over the last year. I think both games could do with big improvements in their tyre models and get cars to have more mechanical grip.

For the sake of realism, or for the sake of gameplay?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think iRacing is perfect. But it's a bloody good simulation, and they put more work into their tyre sim than anyone. It shows, and most of the time it's pretty excellent. As far as yardsticks for tyre simulation go, you could do a lot worse.

When it comes to comparison to GT, I get very wary when people say that it's the other games that need more grip. Most cars in GT come stock with significantly stickier tyres than they should. Racing tyres are almost completely unreal, and even sports tyres are way to sticky for a lot of road cars.

I wonder if it's not simply that you're used to the level of grip provided in GT, and are finding it tough to adapt. The levels of grip in iRacing, AC, Forza, pCARS, Race '07, Game Stock Car and most of the others are roughly similar. Similar enough that jumping between them doesn't feel like you're suddenly on ice*. GT is the odd one out. How sure are you that GT is right and everyone else is wrong?


*I spent the day playing Grid: Autosport and then jumped straight into iRacing a few days ago. Boy, was that an eye opener. Took me a good fifteen minutes to undo my Grid style and get back into braking and accelerating normally. Anyone watching would have sworn that the car had chronic understeer and no grip, but it was just me driving it wrong.
 
I can see from here that you just like to argue, so I'll let other people continue to remind that f4 and f5 can't take it to gt6. Looks and sounds. That's all it got on it's side over GT6. Any other train of thought is jaded.
You say it as if it's fact, which is clearly not the case.
-There should be an option to remove your own posts (in this case the double posts) like most forums have :/

-Its nothing because you say so? Then no opinion about this is relevant. No one can have an opinion!

-What would really be handicapping is releasing the game for the PS4, because of the PS4 system sales. Handicapped in revenue that is. Also the fact that PS4 has not free online compared to the PS3 is also handicap aswell.

Sometimes I have the feeling I'm on ForzaPlanet rather than GTPlanet, with all this anti-GT comments and pro-forza comments, its funny.
-Removing your own posts would cause inconsistency, something we probably already have too much of.

-PD's audience on the PS3 is getting smaller as well. A PS4 release would at least establish a good platform for PD to use in the future. Now they're even more behind on the sim front with various other games already having a good footing on the next gen platforms.

-Well, that's just how the community has shaped up to be. Can't do nothing about that I'm afraid.
GT3 is too long ago. The market is far different. PS4 hasn't kicked off anything like the PS3 did. Sales did well...no one uses them much lol. Consider the fact that they were working on GT6 before they could develop for PS4, too. Because you are not..

There is no upwards? Forza4 licked GT6? Lol, ok. You funny, mang. I have no retorts for that, because it is that far fetched. Having played both and many other sims, that must be satire.

BTW, I'm on my phone. Multiquote doesn't work right for the mobile version with mine. Idk if it is my browser or what, but I'll just wait a few and see if more replies come or copy and paste.
More than 50% of all XBONE users have played FM5. It's not a massive number, sure, but at least they're headed in the right direction and at least the XBONE has a driving simulator on it. The PS4 has none.

Provide evidence for it then, if you're so adamant about that. I mean if we can't compare GT6 to FM5 because they're on different generations, might as well compare against FM4. In my opinion anyways, it kicks GT6's ass in almost every category.
People get miffed over GT6 being on PS3. The sales were mediocre with GT6 on PS3. How do you think that would have gone on PS4, of which has very few games released and therefore - far far far far far far far less PS4s are in the homes of people, compared to PS3s, which are a dime a dozen. Putting GT6 on ps4 at that time would have made GT6 the last GT game and possibly the last PD game. Being released at the same time as forza is irrelevant. If someone has an Xbox, there is a good chance they bought forza5 anyways, because there are no other racing games that aren't just NASCAR or a cartoon for that console.


Congrats? And I am sure there are many, but not in the grand scheme, considering GT6 and upwards as far as physics go. Did I say there are not any people interested in Forza, who are not interested in physics? Nope, sorry. I said everyone I've come across who raved about forza, doesn't care about physics. Verbatim. Would you like to rave about how fantastically forza is masterpiece? If so, please tell us what is so incredible about forza and it's physics, sans graphics and sound. I want to hear you rave about the meat and potatoes.
If PD released GT6 on launch for the PS4, I guarantee PS4 sales would've increase, just look at Fm5. Deciding to release on the PS3 did not help because not only are sales low but future reception and reputation has been damaged as well. Look at all the complaints on this forum. You think if GT7 turns out to be GT6.1 that peeps will still buy it?
What are you talking about? This is completely irrelevant. The systems are totally uncomparable on so many levels no matter the game's launch date. Its like comparing PES 2010 on PS2 and PS3 when they were both launched together. Different systems, one is much newer and much more powerful.


GT is not what YOU think should be, it's what Kaz thinks it should be.

More or less the same for Forza, but they are probably more "sold out" to the audience


Edit: sorry double post
They're out at the same time, aiming for the same market. They're bound to be compared. The PS3 and XBONE are not too different technically sans the better specs on the XBONE. Remember that FM5 vs GT6 photo mode thread? GT6 had the edge because of its great lighting engine.
 
Lol I really don't even know how to respond to this. Plenty to say, but not worth the time to retort .
There it's is.

:lol:

Took longer than I expected to revert back to it. Keeping the streak alive, though, even against a moderator. Impressive.
 
Back