Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
What's even more mind boggling is that GT7 will no doubt also be a live service game with post-launch support. So by 2024, when pretty likely the industry will have fully moved on to PS5 generation, Polyphony artists will still be making and designing track assets for an 11 year old base PS4 hardware. :lol: Now you have Polyphony artists in 2024 not even fully on board with making next-gen assets which begs to question how much reused GT7 cross-gen content will GT8 have or will GT8 start completely from scratch in recreating all of the tracks again and release in a bare-bones state? Some of the GT PS4 track assets are not pretty on PS4, let alone on PS5.

FGeLK4P.jpg

Si1wtjF.jpg

mEAanc2.jpg

Last edited:
How exactly am I supposed to explain to you something I don't know. I answered your question but obviously you didn't like my answer so it was a non answer to you. Putting GT7 on PS4 as well as PS5 will Guarantee you will sell more than if it was on PS5 only. Its just common sense to know this.
That makes sense :lol: Any other straws you want to pull at? Maybe they should make it PS1 , Windows and PC compatible too?
Why not? If software sales are the only determining metric, why not release it on the Xbox and Steam at the same time? Why even release the PS5 at all or any exclusive games for it ever, since they are losing money to do so?

Theres nothing stopping you from installing a 2.5" SSD in your PS4 and its not that hard to do either. I installed an SSD into my PS4 and it makes a very big difference in loading games and everything else you do with your PS4. As you can see in this video installing an SSD into a PS4 makes a very big difference

This is fantastic, wonderful, good for you but irrelevant. PD can't design the game around aftermarket hard drives people put in their PS4s, and they can't design the PS5 version of the game to take advantage of throughput of the PS5 if they have to have it compatible with the PS4 version running off of a 5400 ROM hard drive, nor does a PS4 with an SSD have throughput that's even in the timezone of what the PS5 has in the first place.

Last edited:
Thanks Sony. Thanks for providing me with the optimal experience on my (as of now) 7 and a half year old console. Not only do I get the unique experience of Cyberpunk 2077 in it's 900p resolution, 20fps greatness, which you took off the PS store to make it even more exclusive and make me feel more special, but now I can get a minor upgrade to my beloved, by then, over 4 year old GT Sport with GT 7. And I don't have to wait for monthly dlcs. I will get all the new content at once on disc as you will spare me the pain as I slowly download each update as before. And here I was willing to spend £500 on a new console for a completely new experience. But here you are saving me money. Great business. 👍

Last edited:
Why not? If software sales are the only determining metric, why not release it on the Xbox and Steam at the same time? Why even release the PS5 at all or any exclusive games for it ever, since they are losing money to do so?

This is fantastic, wonderful, good for you but irrelevant. PD can't design the game around aftermarket hard drives people put in their PS4s, and they can't design the PS5 version of the game to take advantage of throughput of the PS5 if they have to have it compatible with the PS4 version running off of a 5400 ROM hard drive, nor does a PS4 with an SSD have throughput that's even in the timezone of what the PS5 has in the first place.
Why not what?

I am ok with Sony releasing their games on as many platforms as they want. Its more money in their pockets

Who is asking anybody to design a game around an SSD. People have been installing SSD's in the PS4 and PS3 with years. Nobody asked Sony developers to design a game around the SSD. Also its relevant to the person who I was replying to who had a meltdown about his 5400rpm slow HDD. Can you be 100% sure they can't put coding in the game that will take advantage of the PS5 SSD and disable it for PS4 or are you assuming this? I didn't even say that an SSD in a PS4 is as fast as the NVME drive in a PS4. But hey any chance to go on an angry rant eh.

Imagine if the next headline is along the lines of,

“It’s official, next God of War and GT7 to be cross-play compatible.”

Hoo boy, that would add a leaking petrol tanker to an already uncontrollable fire.

How exactly am I supposed to explain to you something I don't know. I answered your question but obviously you didn't like my answer so it was a non answer to you. Putting GT7 on PS4 as well as PS5 will Guarantee you will sell more than if it was on PS5 only. Its just common sense to know this.

That makes sense :lol: Any other straws you want to pull at? Maybe they should make it PS1 , Windows and PC compatible too?
You say you don't know the answer, yet you seem to know it will sell more copies if it's available on PS4. Yet I've pointed out that history shows that this is not always the case, and designing a game to be relevant on a previous gen console can actually damage sales. It certainlly did with GT6.

I will repeat, GT3 is the best selling GT game in the series and it relased on the PS2 a mere 13 months after the PS2 released. There were many times more PS1's in homes than PS2's at this time, yet GT3 still managed to become the best selling game in the series.

I'm not saying it couldn't sell better if it were cross gen, but history suggests it could be a hinderance, and not just to the sales figures but also to the actual game itself.

I'm the one actually providing tangiable evidence to back up my point, you're saying "you don't know the answer, but...."

Last edited:
I am amused that now the line for trying to rationalize this has morphed to "Well the PS5 being backwards compatible shows that it's essentially the same thing as a PS4 but the hard drive is faster, just like your PC."

No, it's not. The PS4 was a mediocre computer at best when it was new, with it's midrange-ish GPU (that was upgraded in the PS4 Pro) more than offset by its CPU that was awful even at the time it debuted. The massive leap to hardware that was near top of the line at launch away from hardware that was middling/trash even in 2013 was the primary factor for why the new consoles were going to allow for new experiences, then the standard NVMe for all of them was going to add to that with the new way games could be designed for the throughput on top of that. Even if Sony and Microsoft had both skipped including designing the system around a standard SSD, there is a humongous leap in what the new consoles could do that the previous can't; which should have been borne out by the high profile disaster that Cyberpunk became where CDPR basically just couldn't get the game to run properly off of an AMD Jaguar when it runs more or less fine on any midrange PC CPU in the past five years if you're trying for 1080p.

It's why even the Series S is a massive increase in spec over the Xbone X despite not being a 4K game console like that Xbone was, because Microsoft primarily cut it down by targeting the GPU (which means just lowering the resolution to offset it and developers don't really have to do much) rather than cutting down the CPU (which would substantially bottleneck the entire system and make it the lowest common denominator for the new generation that would hold back games on the other two systems).

There was a reason Microsoft got a ton of crap (including from Sony) when they said that they would have two years of all of their games being cross-gen (and why Microsoft largely abandoned it as their games got delayed), and it's not just "the games won't load as fast as they should"; and it absolutely will strangle GT7.

Last edited:
Putting GT7 on PS4 as well as PS5 will Guarantee you will sell more than if it was on PS5 only. Its just common sense to know this.

It's also common sense that developing a game across two platforms will ultimately cost more money in development. It's therefore something a publisher has to weigh up, will the sales on PS4 make it worth it? Nobody here has the numbers to know that, so it's not just simple "common sense" to put it on both. Otherwise as people have hyperbolised you could put it on every platform.

Can you be 100% sure they can't put coding in the game that will take advantage of the PS5 SSD and disable it for PS4 or are you assuming this?
Yes. You can't design a game the way that Sony bragged about in all of their tech demos while also having it run on a PS4. And far more pressing is that they certainly can't put coding in the game that will take advantage of the overwhelmingly more powerful Ryzen-based CPU if they need to design it around a crappy APU from 2013.

Anything else?

Last edited:
I'm confused. GT7 was clearly advertised to be a PS5 exclusive title in the gameplay reveal trailer and on the PS Store. Either the statement by the person in that PS5 article is taken out of context or Sony and PD changed their minds to make a PS4 version of GT7.

I will repeat, GT3 is the best selling GT game in the series and it relased on the PS2 a mere 13 months after the PS2 released. There were many times more PS1's in homes than PS2's at this time, yet GT3 still managed to become the best selling game in the series.
And the PS2 was also actually essentially unavailable for 10 of those 13 months and suffered a disastrous staggered launch where Sony initially had to ship consoles without all of their functionality included to have any supply at all; as opposed to the PS5 where Sony has in fact released a console that has sold faster than any other console in the history of the video game industry, but demand is still so high that they can't keep up with it.

Last edited:
I'm confused. GT7 was clearly advertised to be a PS5 exclusive title in the gameplay reveal trailer and on the PS Store. Either the statement by the person in that PS5 article is taken out of context or Sony and PD changed their minds to make a PS4 version of GT7.

Well yes, we're all in the same boat until someone makes a clear statement.

You say you don't know the answer, yet you seem to know it will sell more copies if it's available on PS4. Yet I've pointed out that history shows that this is not always the case, and designing a game to be relevant on a previous gen console can actually damage sales. It certainlly did with GT6.

I'm not saying it couldn't sell better if it were cross gen, but history suggests it could be a hinderance, and not just to the sales figures but also to the actual game itself.

I'm the one actually providing tangiable evidence to back up my point, you're saying "you don't know the answer, but...."
I'm saying I don't know why GT6 didn't sell so well. I can't believe you are trying to tell me that theres no guarantee that if its on PS4 it won't sell more than if is on PS5 only. Think about that for a few minutes and let it sink in. You just have to see some people on this thread saying they are happy it might be on PS4 and the poll at the top of the page show some people are ok with it being cross gen. Its obvious people will buy it on PS4 if its on PS4. You don't need to be a rocket scientest that it will sell more if its on both PS4 and PS5 because People will buy it on PS4 and PS5. You haven't pointed out anywhere in history that a cross gen GT Game hasn't sold more. You simply pointed out that GT6 which was a PS3 exclusive didn't sell well.

You can repeat all you want. Never have we had a GT game thats been cross gen. You're just pointing out sales of games that have been one gen exclusives.

You aren't pointing out history suggests anything because none of the previous GT games have been cross gen.

It's also common sense that developing a game across two platforms will ultimately cost more money in development. It's therefore something a publisher has to weigh up, will the sales on PS4 make it worth it? Nobody here has the numbers to know that, so it's not just simple "common sense" to put it on both. Otherwise as people have hyperbolised you could put it on every platform.
Yes it does cost more but more sales make up for the extra cost of the extra development. I am aware of how retail and logistics work because I've studied logists and retail and I have certs in both with highest marks you can get in both.

Yes. You can't design a game the way that Sony bragged about in all of their tech demos while also having it run on a PS4. And far more pressing is that they certainly can't put coding in the game that will take advantage of the overwhelmingly more powerful Ryzen-based CPU if they need to design it around a crappy APU from 2013.

Anything else?
Oh we have a console developer here

Im excited how the next Forza will be. If it truly will be next gen as announced and a massive jump, I could imagine it will take many formerly ps players to Xbox or pc base. So good Job, Sony.
I'm already a PC , XBOX and PC gamer

So at this point I think it's been delayed to make it run on PS4 because someone was pushing from above (Sony).

I'm already a PC , XBOX and PC gamer
Me too, but i only have a ps for Gran Turismo and the other titles i play on xbox. Some backward, which arent available on ps, unfortunatly. normally, i dont like two different platforms to use.
When i get a "killer-racing-game" on xbox, i dont need my ps anymore and than sony has me not anymore as customer.
As we all know, a further title would need more 5 years or so.

Last edited:
Me too, but i only have a ps for Gran Turismo and the other titles i play on xbox.
When i get a "killer-racing-game" on xbox, i dont need my ps anymore and than sony has me not anymore as customer.
As we all know, a further title would need more 5 years or so.
Its only two months ago I got a PS4 and that was mainly for GT Sport. I would usually have gotten a playstation for Gran Turismo but when GT Sport was released I had no interest in it because I don't race online. But when I played GT Sport at my brothers house a few months ago and saw the campaign mode with all the added races in single player my mind was changed. But now I also have F1 2020 and Driveclub (Rubbish game really) on my PS4 too. I'll probably buy a cross gen game too next month. I don't know if I'll buy F1 2021 on Playstation or PC yet. What were they thinking on developing it as a cross gen game :rolleyes:. F1 2021 should be PS5 only :lol:

Last edited:
I hope it’s true I have a PS4 pro and no need for a Ps5 for one game, I have series X and love it and would like GT7 and I’m happy it could be cross Gen, it’s rumours so I don’t know but with PlayStation 5 being so hard to get I think it’s good for us PS4 players. Only reason I would like a PS5 is for GT7, one day when PS5 are in stock and on sale I would buy one. So holding onto my PS4 Pro for awhile yet and I would be happy if I could buy GT7. :)

Its onlt two months ago I got a PS4 and that was mainly for GT Sport. I would usually have gotten a playstation for Gran Turismo but when GT Sport was released I had no interest in it because I don't race online. But when I played GT Sport at my brothers house a few months ago and saw the campaign mode with all the added races in single player my mind was changed. But now I also have F1 2020 and Driveclub (Rubbish game really) on my PS4 too. I'll probably buy a cross gen game too next month. I don't know if I'll buy F1 2021 on Playstation or PC yet. What were they thinking on developing it as a cross gen game :rolleyes:. F1 2021 should be PS5 only :lol:
If i would have a good pc, i would bux every multiplatform game on pc. Games like Assetto Corsa are rubbish on console, only the first party racers are the outstanding.

If i would have a good pc, i would bux every multiplatform game on pc. Games like Assetto Corsa are rubbish on console, only the first party racers are the outstanding.
I only have an Xbox 360 for some games that aren't backwards compatible. Otherwse the Forza games are on PC now so I don't own an Xbox One anymore and I don't intend on buying an Xbox Series. But I still might buy a PS5 when I can. Until then I'll stick with my PS4 slim

Maybe all this hullabaloo will actually cause PD to talk about the game and clear it all up. Remember to date they have barely even acknowledged it exists. Still on the website all you will find is this, and that's hidden in old news posts.
We know Poly won't speak. I know that a good PR department would speak and explain the situation but not Poly. They will broadcast this week-end the fia championship like nothing happened. (Btw, we still don't know the races but given the imagination of Poly this will red bull car and Mazda vgt over and over...)

Back