Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Alright, now lets wait and see in what capacity this'll actually effect the game.
Well, if they removed aspects of previous games because it wouldn't work with GTS on the PS4, I can't see it being in any better a position for newer features like TOD and dynamic weather. I can't imagine Cars per race being much bigger, or things like Ai and Physics making significant advancements. It'll be developed as a PS4 game that works on the PS5, while the PS5 likely just looking more prettier and running better and quicker.

They don't seem to like to make compromises with the most recent iteration so they removed them completely. I would imagine they'd follow the same train of thought with the new direction they took with the PS4 generation.

Last edited:
Plus, if GT7 does end up being cross-platform, we don't know in what way they'd make GT7 available to PS4 users. It's entirely possible that they could develop the game squarely for PS5, but have another part of the team and/or studio develop or support a nerfed version of GT7 for PS4 (see Black Ops 3, GTA V as examples).
Kaz once sabotaged GT5's development to ignominiously dump a glorified PSP port of Gran Turismo 4 on the market 5 years after it was supposed to come out because he refused to let any of the dozens of studios that existed solely to port PS2 games to the PSP or Wii or whatever do it for them; and specifically commented to that effect when asked about it while also noting that PSP development was harder than he expected it to be.

That's quite an attitude for him to have an about-face on.

You just have to see some people on this thread saying they are happy it might be on PS4 and the poll at the top of the page show some people are ok with it being cross gen
You just have to see most people in this thread (or elsewhere, like on the Playstation blog post talking about it and on ResetEra and Twitter and basically ever comment section for every news post that has brought it up) saying they are angry it (and God of War) might be on PS4, and the poll at the top of the page show most people are not okay with it being cross gen.
Perhaps many of them might not be interested in waiting 2 years into the PS5's life to buy a PS4 game with prettier graphics when Sony executives themselves made sure to specifically note for months that stuff made for PS5 wouldn't be possible on PS4. You know, like when they largely weren't interested in a warmed over GT5 that came out a month after the PS4 did; even though the PS4 sold worse than the PS5 has so far.

Think about that for a few minutes and let it sink in.

Oh we have a console developer here
Brilliant response, well in line with your others on the subject.

Don't bother asking questions if you don't like the answers.

Also how are other developers managing to take full advantage of the PS5 NVME drive and yet make their games cross platform?
And what games would those be?

Last edited:
I'm saying I don't know why GT6 didn't sell so well. I can't believe you are trying to tell me that theres no guarantee that if its on PS4 it won't sell more than if is on PS5 only. Think about that for a few minutes and let it sink in. You just have to see some people on this thread saying they are happy it might be on PS4 and the poll at the top of the page show some people are ok with it being cross gen. Its obvious people will buy it on PS4 if its on PS4. You don't need to be a rocket scientest that it will sell more if its on both PS4 and PS5 because People will buy it on PS4 and PS5. You haven't pointed out anywhere in history that a cross gen GT Game hasn't sold more. You simply pointed out that GT6 which was a PS3 exclusive didn't sell well.

You can repeat all you want. Never have we had a GT game thats been cross gen. You're just pointing out sales of games that have been one gen exclusives.

You aren't pointing out history suggests anything because none of the previous GT games have been cross gen.
You apparently need to be a rocket scientist to understand the point I'm making. Evidence shows it is not a guarentee, not that it can't happen, but that's not a guarentee. For comparison, Forza Motorsport 7, the first Forza Motorpsort title to be released on PC as well as XB, has sold worse than Forza Motorsport 6. Releasing on multiple systems/generations does not guarentee you anything.

You entire argument seems to be that a larger potential consumer base = more sales which is flawed logic and far too overly simplistic. I handle marketing for certain services my team offers at work, I can chuck a few ad's on Google and hey my potential userbase is suddenly enourmous, but I guarentee we'll lose money.

The increased development time and cost can make it not worthwhile, and it can hinder sales. GT6 sold badly because it came out too late for the PS3 even though it only released 1 month after the PS4 came out. Of course, you can argue "ah but if would have sold more if they released a PS4 version". Maybe it would, but then you'd have seen even worse PS3 sales and would those sales have then resulted in a net profit? Or had the PS3 sales kept up, would Sony have seen a drop iin PS4 sale?

The bottom line is, who knows, each game is it's own individual case. But you can't ignore the actual evidence and what has happened in the past not just with the Gran Turismo franchsie. There are absolutely some cross-gen sales successes, but there are also games that have suffered becuse the previous gen title came out too late for that gen console and the current gen title didn't meet the quality of exclusive current gen titles. That's a big call and it takes a lot of time, effort and money to get right.

Yes it does cost more but more sales make up for the extra cost of the extra development. I am aware of how retail and logistics work because I've studied logists and retail and I have certs in both with highest marks you can get in both.
Yet you continue with the fallacy that a larger potential consumer base by it's own guarentees more sales. A smaller better target can yield much better profits, considerably so. A game designed to take full advantage of the PS5's hardware rather than having to keep in mind it needs to be parred down for PS4 as well, targeted at the PS5 user base and people "considering a PS5" could yield better results which is backed statistically.

Also how are other developers managing to take full advantage of the PS5 NVME drive and yet make their games cross platform?
If they're taking full advantae of the PS5's NVME drive they aren't making it cross gen, simple as. A ross gen title is not taking full advantage of the NVME drive. It may benefit from it, faster loading times etc. But it is not taking full advantage.

Last edited:
GT7 on PS5 will be a shiny expanded GTSport.

With a robust single player mode, but without dynamic ToD or weather or any significant advancements in simulation due to the jaguar bottleneck.

Book it.

DON`T EVEN WNAT TO START TO THINK ABOUT WHAT THAT MEANS FOR PSVR2 AND GT7.

Immensly dissappointing.

And it's another 4-5 year wait for a true next-gen GT that's made to take complete advantage of PS5 hardware. I might not even be alive by then :lol:

Should have known back at the GT7 reveal, one image is GTSport PS4, the other is GT7 on PS5. if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

XX6ufCC.gif

So there it is then. Confirmed.

Let's move to phase two of reactions I guess.

I personally can't see PD just releasing GT Sport with more content and full single player as some are predicting/fearing. They always want to push the hardware, usually beyond where it can actually go, so I can definitely see them attempting more ambitious stuff, even if it cripples the PS4 version. So I wouldn't discount time and weather yet. They crammed it in GT5 when it was too much for the hardware alongside the rest of the game detail, at a resolution that was too high, so let's see.

And it's another 4-5 year wait for a true next-gen GT that's made to take complete advantage of PS5 hardware. I might not even be alive by then :lol:

Should have known back at the GT7 reveal, one image is GTSport PS4, the other is GT7 on PS5. if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

XX6ufCC.gif

I was more interested in what´s under the hood. GTS always looked fine, but it was lacking in so many other aspects. I was really hoping for dynamic weather and time of day. Assuming that they are going for parity (I assume they will cause of online) the dream is dead.

I was more interested in what´s under the hood. GTS always looked fine, but it was lacking in so many other aspects. I was really hoping for dynamic weather and time of day. Assuming that they are going for parity (I assume they will cause of online) the dream is dead.

As I say above, I don't think it's dead just yet. It just depends on if they want the PS4 version to be like GT5, running at 20-40fps a lot of the time.

Let's move to phase two of reactions I guess.

I personally can't see PD just releasing GT Sport with more content and full single player as some are predicting/fearing. They always want to push the hardware, usually beyond where it can actually go, so I can definitely see them attempting more ambitious stuff, even if it cripples the PS4 version. So I wouldn't discount time and weather yet. They crammed it in GT5 when it was too much for the hardware alongside the rest of the game detail, at a resolution that was too high, so let's see.
That's the thing though, previous generations they didn't mind features at the expense of playability. They backtracked with GTS and decided to remove things that would damage the quality of the game with concern of a locked FPS. Seemed like a thing that was pretty important for the PS4 generation, so it would be odd to see them make a 180 on that. Although, I also didn't expect them to do GT6 all over again either, so I guess theres that.

Last edited:
Bear in mind, amongst all of this a PS4 version hasn't actually been confirmed. It's just been mentioned as something Sony considered. It could happen, it's certainly a real possability, but it's by no means confirmed.

Edit: No, it is confirmed :lol:

Last edited:
@Vspectra you should perhaps update the title and OP with the VGC article and more importantly the Pushsquare confirmation so people don't keep reposting them.

Bear in mind, amongst all of this a PS4 version hasn't actually been confirmed. It's just been mentioned as something Sony considered. It could happen, it's certainly a real possability, but it's by no means confirmed.

It has now.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/06/god_of_war_ragnarok_gran_turismo_7_ps4_versions_confirmed

Last edited:
As I say above, I don't think it's dead just yet. It just depends on if they want the PS4 version to be like GT5, running at 20-40fps a lot of the time.

Given how competetive GT is (FIA license and everything) I doubt they will let both versions run at different frame rates online.

Thanks, I edited the OP with the link. I think Famine had changed the title of the topic so he'll probably have to do that. I didn't see an option to change it.

It's top right of the topic usually, Thread Tools I think it's called.

Yeah I was really hoping for dynamic time of day to make a return, along with the physics updates, AI, damage, just all the things that would need a much better CPU that the PS5 has than the Jaguar Cores on PS4.

the Pushsquare confirmation
If it's anything like the response we got, it's still where it was yesterday.

The response we got was the exact line from the blog post again. No clarification of that at all, just the exact line again.

This seems like a very left-hand/right-hand situation; somebody knows what the situation is, but nobody's telling.

If it's anything like the response we got, it's still where it was yesterday.

The response we got was the exact line from the blog post again.

Pretty bold from Pushsquare then. I'd be inclined to think they've had something more, but who knows.

Update: We've had word back from PlayStation PR, and it's official: God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 are cross-gen games, meaning that they'll release on both PS5 and PS4.

I'm expecting static time-of-day again with no time progression for GT7 now. :banghead: Forza 8 is also coming next year but is next-gen only, confirmed to have dynamic weather and time of day progression, highly improved tire physics. It's pretty much confirmed to blow GT7 out of the water in graphics, features, and physics so the comparison are going to be hilarious.

This mean Polyphony isn't anywhere near close to upgrading their engine to fully take advantage of the PS5 hardware. We'll be near the end of the generation by the time a true next-gen Gran Turismo comes out given how slow Polyphony works. :lol:
What makes this worse,i remember seeing the gameplay trailer from gt7 with the mazda driving on trial mountain,i noticed several spots that had popin,guess what other games has popin as well if you watched nx gamers analysis???? i'll give you a hint,she has red hair and sports a bow and arrow while mechanical beasts run around her,when i saw that i was saddened,i too have a ps5 and still have my ps4 pro and og ps4 but even i have to say just let go of these,from horizon i can somewhat understand,gt7 however and to a certain extent god of war should have been ps5 exclusive to show off what they can do with the hardware,indeed it looks like forza motorsport or 8 which seems to be on track being next gen,brand new engine,tire model the works,now i get why i saw the popin on gt 7's gameplay reveal,for those interested you can spot it at the tunnel section the first bit with the lights popping in and then on the side the trees detail popping in as well,shame though,the ps5 can do better but they dveloping with ps4 tech in mind that has to function on that platform as well!!!

Rjo
What makes this worse,i remember seeing the gameplay trailer from gt7 with the mazda driving on trial mountain,i noticed several spots that had popin,guess what other games has popin as well if you watched nx gamers analysis???? i'll give you a hint,she has red hair and sports a bow and arrow while mechanical beasts run around her,when i saw that i was saddened,i too have a ps5 and still have my ps4 pro and og ps4 but even i have to say just let go of these,from horizon i can somewhat understand,gt7 however and to a certain extent god of war should have been ps5 exclusive to show off what they can do with the hardware,indeed it looks like forza motorsport or 8 which seems to be on track being next gen,brand new engine,tire model the works,now i get why i saw the popin on gt 7's gameplay reveal,for those interested you can spot it at the tunnel section the first bit with the lights popping in and then on the side the trees detail popping in as well,shame though,the ps5 can do better but they dveloping with ps4 tech in mind that has to function on that platform as well!!!
Jesus man, break your sentences and use a period.

Sounds like Hermen Hulst made a decision.
But it was one that was made fairly recently, apparently. Whereas God of War and Horizon FW were always intended to be cross-gen, they probably decided GT7 should be as well because it’s a staple of the PS gaming lineup. It’s all about money at the end of the day…

Pretty bold from Pushsquare then. I'd be inclined to think they've had something more, but who knows.
It is, but games journalists do publish rot from time to time, some of them even review games they haven't played. They could have got a clear confirmation, but unfortunately we won't know.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight... The Head of PlayStation Studios said it was cross gen, Sony PR confirmed it to PushSquare... and we are still not sure?

You need to progess through the stages of grief faster - I´m already at anger ;)

XX6ufCC.gif
If i had to place a bet on this one,i'd say they using the same engine they used on gt sports,the popin during the gameplay reveal as i also saw on Horizon forbidden west thx to nx gamer cause those where hard to spot,we now know these titles are cross gen developed,no doubt about that at this point and from a business perspective i get it,you can't walk away from 110 + mill ps4 owners but it's extremely dissapointing when you keep telling the world we believe in generations,looking at you jim ryan,and all the while your finest titles are not taking advantage of ps5 hardware and the popin shows that,i shudder to think what forza will look like on series x being the main competititor against gt7,i'm gonna chalk up a win for forza on this one,if their car lineup isn't already heads and shoulders above gt at this point imo!!

You just have to see most people in this thread (or elsewhere, like on the Playstation blog post talking about it and on ResetEra and Twitter and basically ever comment section for every news post that has brought it up) saying they are angry it (and God of War) might be on PS4, and the poll at the top of the page show most people are not okay with it being cross gen. Perhaps many of them might not be interested in waiting 2 years into the PS5's life to buy a glorified PS4 game. You know, like when they largely weren't interested in a warmed over GT5 that came out a month after the PS4 did; even though the PS4 sold worse than the PS5 has so far.

Think about that for a few minutes and let it sink in.
From what I've learned is the silent majority are exactly that. Silent. Not all 110million PS4 owners comment on this news. But hey those who have PS5's really don't want others to play the shiny new GT7 or allow Sony to make more profit.

Brilliant response, well in line with your others on the subject.

Don't bother asking questions if you don't like the answers.
Yup posting common snese online grinds some peoples gears

And what games would those be?
Google is your best friend. But one comes to mind F1 2021. Which has Ray tracing on PS5

But Don't bother asking questions if you don't like the answers.

So let me get this straight... The Head of PlayStation Studios said it was cross gen, Sony PR confirmed it to PushSquare... and we are still not sure?

You need to progess through the stages of grief faster - I´m already at anger ;)
No, the head of playstation said it was considered for cross gen, Sony haven't publically confirmed anything, but some games journalists have ran with it being cross gen. It very well could be, but as @Famine said, as far as GTPlanet is concerned at least, we're no different to yesterday and yesterday a lot of journalists were taking Helmut's words as confirmation whic it was not. So it's more a case of who knows until we get official confirmation which hopefully we will get soon.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back