Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
If you don't read sites like this or other gaming news then you might still be under the impression GT7 is a PS5 title releasing in the next three months. All information to the contrary has so far been delivered in those half-buried titbits.
And, as a site like this, it's been absolutely exhausting to keep up with! :lol:

The thing that concerns me most with this cross-gen stuff is the physics. I fear that they either won't be changed or changed soo slightly that it hardly makes a difference. If that is the case then the lifespan of the game will be limited for me. The GT Sport physics as they are do not work for me online and I would be annoyed if they aren't changed. However if they're not I'll just stick to Assetto Corsa Competitizione and Project Cars 2.
The physics seem to work just fine for the ones whooping our butts. The platform the game is on has nothing to do with the physics. Platform just adds to graphics and processing speed performance. I'm just glad I dont have to buy a PS5 just to play it. I might have one by then anyway but now I can wait for a PS5 on sale. It will happen.

The platform the game is on has nothing to do with the physics.
I'm sorry but this is completely false.

I hate to bring it up again but we already know that Motorsport 8s tire model is pushing 48x the information than Horizon 5.

The platform most definitely has to do with the physics. It's not just speed performance either; the new CPU is way above and beyond the Jaguar in the Xbox One and PS4.

R.I.P. original and slim PS4's. They'll barely even be able to run GT7 at best as it is a demanding game for the older console. The PS4 Pro would be the best bet if you really want to play GT7 on a PS4.

I do hope cross-play isn't a thing between the PS4 and PS5 versions so that the latter can still show off a considerable improvement in technology (whether it would be dynamic weather, time of day and other things).
How do you know how it will run on a PS4? You haven't played it. It will be just fine what ever we end up getting. GT6 didn't even release on PS4 and the PS4 was already out then. People were just happy to play GT6 on the PS3. What could GT6 have been on a PS4? We will never know. You will never know what GT7 could have been on just a PS5 and thats OK. The whole point of the game is to sell as many copies as they can making the most profit. Who can blame them? We would be doing the same thing.

I'm sorry but this is completely false.

I hate to bring it up again but we already know that Motorsport 8s tire model is pushing 48x the information than Horizon 5.

The platform most definitely has to do with the physics. It's not just speed performance either; the new CPU is way above and beyond the Jaguar in the Xbox One and PS4.
Well we will agree to disagree. GT5 physics way better than GT Sport to me anyway.

Last edited:
I would also imagine that Motorsport 8 is supposed to be a more hardcore drive model than Horizon 5... what with Hot Wheels and Lego being so prominent in the past (LOL!)

And really whatever Microsoft does is there issue and may not reflect what happens at Sony PD... OBVIOUSLY....

I would also imagine that Motorsport 8 is supposed to be a more hardcore drive model than Horizon 5... what with Hot Wheels and Lego being so prominent in the past (LOL!)

And really whatever Microsoft does is there issue and may not reflect what happens at Sony PD... OBVIOUSLY....
Well thats the beauty of Playstation, XBox, and PC. Plenty of options to play games on. Play the game you like on whatever platform. I'm a die hard Gran Turismo fan and will play whatever they release. I would like to try iRacing some time but too expensive for me.

Well we will agree to disagree. GT5 physics way better than GT Sport to me anyway.
It's not about the subjective idea of which is better. It's about what the physics engine is actually capable of doing.

On a technical sense, not subjective, the difference would be massive.

The performance of a physics engine is not the same as the realism of a physics engine.

What matters is the technical differences between the physics engines being used. I'm sure you can imagine how different 8 points of contact at 360hz compared to 1 point of contact at 60 hz will directly translate to the driver.

So if a car is traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) on the old version of the physics engine; the tire model will update once per every 1.4 feet (426.72 mm) the car travels.

With the new tire model a car traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) will update the tire model every 2.93 inches (74.4 mm) the car travels.

At 200 mph (321.87 km/h) it will be every 9.76 inches (247.9 mm) the car travels.

At 280 mph (450.62 km/h) (About the top speed limit in most Forza Titles.) it will update every 1.14 feet (347.47 mm).

I'm pretty sure everyone, including me; would like to see something like this in Gran Turismo too.

It's not about what Microsoft does. The reality is that if Sony wants to make a cross-gen and cross play game then they need a physics engine that acts the same across all versions. Unless they decide to make the PS5 version it's own thing and not allow crossplay between generations. I highly doubt that.

Realistic limitations faced between generations on Xbox directly translate to the realistic technical limitations between generations on Playstation; no matter how you feel about it. (Xbox One and PS4 use the same CPUs and Xbox Series X and PS5 are pretty close.)

Last edited:
Well, I guess PD get to hold to their two GT games per console. Killing two birds with one stone.
After this, really can't say they won't have GT8(?) on PS5.

Ask developers, even those under first party companies, about the desire to work on the gimped CPU's and internals of the Xbox One and PS4, and having to make sure that games run on base model versions of these consoles alongside uprated models, and then adding onto that trying to wring a bit more horsepower out of next gen systems, that they can't take full advantage of, and I guarantee that the responses will be icy, at best. Devs want to be given the best position to succeed in creating games. Continuing to work on last gen hardware alongside next gen doesn't allow for that. Doubly so for a game where it's likely that by the time it releases, the issue of lack of next gen consoles (and subsequently, people holding out on last gen hardware) isn't going to be the case, so yeah, it reflects what happens. As mentioned, at least Horizon 5 has a valid business reason for going cross-gen. GT7 doesn't have a strong reason, considering that it's likely that the game won't be out until Holiday 2022/early 2023, and it will all be for naught if that proves to be the case.
Ah yes. Can't have comparisons between Forza and GT without immature sniping.

What I find grating about that comparison is that Sony does not have a Horizon 5 competitor so I personally dont think any comparison to Microsoft or to Horizon 5 is valid. I'm also of the mind that I dont care what developers like or dont like. Do the job your company requires.

Sorry. I also thinking pointing out straight facts on DLC is pretty valid but yeah ok... some people may find that offensive I guess.

I'm keen to hear stuff about GT7 in a GT7 thread thats all, not a maths lesson on Horizon 5. Go there if you want to hear that stuff.

Last edited:
What I find grating about that comparison is that Sony does not have a Horizon 5 competitor so I personally dont think any comparison to Microsoft or to Horizon 5 is valid. I'm also of the mind that I dont care what developers like or dont like. Do the job your company requires.

Sorry. I also thinking pointing out straight facts on DLC is pretty valid but yeah ok... some people may find that offensive I guess.

I'm keen to hear stuff about GT7 in a GT7 thread thats all, not a maths lesson on Horizon 5. Go there if you want to hear that stuff.
This has to be a joke.

You hear that devs, you better just use what you have and not complain about it!

Last edited:
Well that's that then. If there is crossplay then there is no point in the GT7 version. If there isn't then they can at least improve the physics. But it doesn't matter. If you want sim ACC is getting a PS5 version and if you want GT style sim light then a gaming PC or Xbox are the only options.

I don't think that cross-gen is a death sentence. Many people here are concerned that the quality of GT7 will be massively compromised but I'm not really sure how we can make that judgement. Yes, there will be compromises on the technical side but that's not to suggest that the game itself will be bad. Let's reserve our judgement until the game releases.

I don't think that cross-gen is a death sentence. Many people here are concerned that the quality of GT7 will be massively compromised but I'm not really sure how we can make that judgement. Yes, there will be compromises on the technical side but that's not to suggest that the game itself will be bad. Let's reserve our judgement until the game releases.
Well no, the game may (and hopefully) will be great. But it's impossible to deny the fact that being on PS5 only it could've been even better, fully taking advantage of everything that the PS5 can offer that the PS4 can't. So now people are going to be waiting for GT8 until they can get that experience they thought they were going to get with GT7.

Plus as others have said, the other concerns comes because of PDs history. When it was first rumoured a PS4 version may exist I said it was absurd, because the idea of PD working on two versions of the game at the same time would be a recipe disaster. I just hope It turns out I'm wrong, but it's easy to see where the concerns come from. PD have a track record for long delays and since the HD era, unpolished and smaller games which seemed to stem from lack of development speed/enough workers. Like, we only got standards in GT5 because they didn't have the workforce (and didn't want to outsource) to produce enough PS3 quality cars. So now we're told that same team is balancing development of a game across two consoles, as if one wasn't enough.

Last edited:
I sure hope that they have a specific version of GT7 for each console, just so those of use who did invest are rewarded accordingly with better (ray tracing) graphics and dual-sense improvements for those controller users. That'd make me happy as I don't really care if there's 15 or 25 other cars (more cars means more turn 1 accidents basically, haha). Same (improved physics) on both consoles of course.

They really could make this work for them. Advertise the 'enhanced' version for PS5 folks and brag about how PS4 gamers aren't left in the dust.

Jerome

Well no, the game may (and hopefully) will be great. But it's impossible to deny the fact that being on PS5 only it could've been even better, fully taking advantage of everything that the PS5 can offer that the PS4 can't. So now people are going to be waiting for GT8 until they can get that experience they thought they were going to get with GT7.
But that doesn't worry me too much. I can get realistic physics and dynamic weather/TOD in other games. What I can't get from other games is the GT experience; something that's soo special for me and many other people. If this aspect is nailed, I will enjoy the game.

As I said before, they could keep the GT Sport drive model for ps4 and ps5 and not do dynamic weather and keep that pre baked lighting and still sell 10 mil. copies this time.

GT7 has the same issues FM8 has... its been years since the last outing and there's clearly demand for this next iteration so they can do a low risk version and still get away with whatever.

As I said before, they could keep the GT Sport drive model for ps4 and ps5 and not do dynamic weather and keep that pre baked lighting and still sell 10 mil. copies this time.

GT7 has the same issues FM8 has... its been years since the last outing and there's clearly demand for this next iteration so they can do a low risk version and still get away with whatever.
True, in this case though PD has been known for their snail pace, Forza Motorsport had similar case for this time. But still the real problem's now is about GT7 apparently being a cross-gen.

Can't PD run GT7 on PS5's full potential if the PS4 version is dumbed down? If they could, then I don't see a problem honestly.

It's not about the subjective idea of which is better. It's about what the physics engine is actually capable of doing.

On a technical sense, not subjective, the difference would be massive.

The performance of a physics engine is not the same as the realism of a physics engine.

What matters is the technical differences between the physics engines being used. I'm sure you can imagine how different 8 points of contact at 360hz compared to 1 point of contact at 60 hz will directly translate to the driver.

So if a car is traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) on the old version of the physics engine; the tire model will update once per every 1.4 feet (426.72 mm) the car travels.

With the new tire model a car traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) will update the tire model every 2.93 inches (74.4 mm) the car travels.

At 200 mph (321.87 km/h) it will be every 9.76 inches (247.9 mm) the car travels.

At 280 mph (450.62 km/h) (About the top speed limit in most Forza Titles.) it will update every 1.14 feet (347.47 mm).

I'm pretty sure everyone, including me; would like to see something like this in Gran Turismo too.

It's not about what Microsoft does. The reality is that if Sony wants to make a cross-gen and cross play game then they need a physics engine that acts the same across all versions. Unless they decide to make the PS5 version it's own thing and not allow crossplay between generations. I highly doubt that.

Realistic limitations faced between generations on Xbox directly translate to the realistic technical limitations between generations on Playstation; no matter how you feel about it. (Xbox One and PS4 use the same CPUs and Xbox Series X and PS5 are pretty close.)
I was all ready to dive into this debate until I read this post. I don’t think I could have put it any better.

Last edited:
Physics, graphics, car count, won't matter if the AI sucks.
This is a majority Arcade Mode player game. Oh, it's going to suck doing a 24H race at noon from start to finish, but if the AI is tuned, from Beginner to Professional, as competitive, with no chase-the-rabbit-rubberbandman-AI, that WILL trump any negative feelings about what could have been on the PS5 with other features inhale
I can guarantee, without seeing the completed GT7 build, gameplay will not look like ACC on console.

For me, there are three cars I personally want, above all others, in GT7. PD add those and I'm halfway to heaven. As above, better, competitive AI, is what gets me through those pearly gates. I'll deal with my choice of getting the game in PS4 and PS5 when I cross that bridge.

Others that are disappointed or aware of what's required to make the game look better, more enjoyable physics wise, I do hope GT7 can provide some kind of enjoyment. As consumers, if we choose to buy these products, good or bad, in the end, we're fuelling someone else's dream. No matter how much we love the things we consume. It's just a game. A game many of us truly adore . ;)

I'll be interested in th day one sales. Will probably break GT records.
Previous GTs probably will if they were released more on early or peak cycle of the console instead of their late cycle (sorry for bad English). Not that GT wasn't killer app but probably can achieve more like you suggest here if the previous ones are not released late.

Physics, graphics, car count, won't matter if the AI sucks.
This is a majority Arcade Mode player game. Oh, it's going to suck doing a 24H race at noon from start to finish, but if the AI is tuned, from Beginner to Professional, as competitive, with no chase-the-rabbit-rubberbandman-AI, that WILL trump any negative feelings about what could have been on the PS5 with other features inhale
I can guarantee, without seeing the completed GT7 build, gameplay will not look like ACC on console.

For me, there are three cars I personally want, above all others, in GT7. PD add those and I'm halfway to heaven. As above, better, competitive AI, is what gets me through those pearly gates. I'll deal with my choice of getting the game in PS4 and PS5 when I cross that bridge.

Others that are disappointed or aware of what's required to make the game look better, more enjoyable physics wise, I do hope GT7 can provide some kind of enjoyment. As consumers, if we choose to buy these products, good or bad, in the end, we're fuelling someone else's dream. No matter how much we love the things we consume. It's just a game. A game many of us truly adore . ;)
PD seems to solve the solution by doing another stuff to make the races harder (that makes it less of a race) instead of improving AI (though not that there are no room of improvement, they're able to turn around their car sounds only in 1 game for GTS), like removing Qualifying (it existed in GT1, GT3, and some part of GT4) and make the races rolling start...

It's simple. The game needs to be adapted to the already jurassic ps4-xbox1 cpus, then expect no physics upgrade no nothing, on the usual line of this out of date franchise, with that obsolete man in command living like a marquish since the days of gt4 onwards, gathering as much money as he wishes from Sony, and aplying the law of minimum effort on every new tittle, that when one new tittles is released, of course.

But no. Let's dismantle Evolution Studios and continue to milk Yamauchi's franchise regardless its laughable physics evolution through years when compared to other sims.

Maybe GT8 is another eight years people surprises us and brings a brand new physics engine with very advance suspension and tyre physics; something I very much doubt so long the Yamauchi Dinosaur continues to be the leader of the studio, but oh well who knows...

Last edited:
TBF to Sony, I dont think they considered Drive Club to be a 'mast head' product. It was never their IP.

Microsoft did at least support PGR until they got it together with Forza.

Gran Turismo, better or worse had been there day one since the PS1 so of course they will get the support, also GT is a Japanese institution, they'll support it to the end.

My three most wanted features are:
  • Dynamic time of day
  • Dynamic weather
  • Bigger grids for online (30 or more would be perfect)
I run the Icelandic Gran Turismo Championship so I use lobbies alot, and those features are my absolute most wanted. All of which are unfortunately very unlikely to come to fruition with the cross-platform release.

Hopefully we will know a little bit more on Thursday. I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic at best, but will be very happy to be wrong here! :)

Last edited:
Back