Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Well let us hope that Sony do not 'disappoint' with the showcase on Thursday and we do get some GT7 news after this long 'drought'.

I am of course still disappointed it's going to be on PS4 as well but if cross gen play is enabled I will still be able to play with my friends on PS4 so I can't grumble about that but for the first time I think I will just only buy the PS5 version of the game although the upgrade free is 'small'' I have really no desire to play it on PS4.

The only reason I still have the PS4 setup is to play the 'old' Bus Simulator game since that was a disc purchase but now the new one is about to hit the shelves I think it may be time for the PS4 to be put into my storage alongside my PS3, PS2 and PSone.

I doubt I will be a 'Day 1' player this time though, going to wait for the site/forum members reviews and comments at the time to decide when I'll actually buy it.

As I said before, they could keep the GT Sport drive model for ps4 and ps5 and not do dynamic weather and keep that pre baked lighting and still sell 10 mil. copies this time.

GT7 has the same issues FM8 has... its been years since the last outing and there's clearly demand for this next iteration so they can do a low risk version and still get away with whatever.
Well that's great for Sony, not so much the players.

My three most wanted features are:
  • Dynamic time of day
  • Dynamic weather
  • Bigger grids for online (30 or more would be perfect)
I run the Icelandic Gran Turismo Championship so I use lobbies alot, and those features are my absolute most wanted. All of which are unfortunately very unlikely to come to fruition with the cross-platform release.

Hopefully we will know a little bit more on Thursday. I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic at best, but will be very happy to be wrong here! :)
You can forget about all three of those features. For a PS4 to manage those things and still run at 60 fps it would have to look like a PS3 game.

My three most wanted features are:
  • Dynamic time of day
  • Dynamic weather
  • Bigger grids for online (30 or more would be perfect)
I run the Icelandic Gran Turismo Championship so I use lobbies alot, and those features are my absolute most wanted. All of which are unfortunately very unlikely to come to fruition with the cross-platform release.

Hopefully we will know a little bit more on Thursday. I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic at best, but will be very happy to be wrong here! :)
The PS4 cross-gen announcement being official kinda instantly puts away the hope for GT7 having those...

Well that's great for Sony, not so much the players.
since when have sony been 4 the players?

companies are here for the money thats it

i also think we should brace ourselves to be disappointed, there's no way to come to any other conclusion

expect the worst, there hasnt been any good news from day one, all updates have been for the worst

good side is that we'd be lucky to see it by xmas 2022 so with good luck, super omega covid will claim some of us and maybe global warming the rest

enjoy the rest of your day

Oh, it's going to suck doing a 24H race at noon from start to finish
A few friends and I actually did a 24hr race at the Nurb from noon Sat til noon Sun. Used the options button for autodrive to take breaks and sleep. Even then it was a lot of driving. The one who did the most seat time won since autodrive is so much slower. Still it was fun.

It's not about the subjective idea of which is better. It's about what the physics engine is actually capable of doing.

On a technical sense, not subjective, the difference would be massive.

The performance of a physics engine is not the same as the realism of a physics engine.

What matters is the technical differences between the physics engines being used. I'm sure you can imagine how different 8 points of contact at 360hz compared to 1 point of contact at 60 hz will directly translate to the driver.

So if a car is traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) on the old version of the physics engine; the tire model will update once per every 1.4 feet (426.72 mm) the car travels.

With the new tire model a car traveling at 60 mph (96.5 km/h) will update the tire model every 2.93 inches (74.4 mm) the car travels.

At 200 mph (321.87 km/h) it will be every 9.76 inches (247.9 mm) the car travels.

At 280 mph (450.62 km/h) (About the top speed limit in most Forza Titles.) it will update every 1.14 feet (347.47 mm).

I'm pretty sure everyone, including me; would like to see something like this in Gran Turismo too.

It's not about what Microsoft does. The reality is that if Sony wants to make a cross-gen and cross play game then they need a physics engine that acts the same across all versions. Unless they decide to make the PS5 version it's own thing and not allow crossplay between generations. I highly doubt that.

Realistic limitations faced between generations on Xbox directly translate to the realistic technical limitations between generations on Playstation; no matter how you feel about it. (Xbox One and PS4 use the same CPUs and Xbox Series X and PS5 are pretty close.)
The example isn't that relevant since Forza has used that basic tire model since the first game, so it could have been upgraded before now. It's probably being done now because they had more time in which to develop a new physics engine.

Can't PD run GT7 on PS5's full potential if the PS4 version is dumbed down? If they could, then I don't see a problem honestly.
No. If PS4 version is developed, they have to keep this version in mind. The base of the game will be shared, otherwise it simply wouldn't run on PS4. Just like GTA V (or GT5) would never run on PS2 but do on PS3. Even if they're doing a great job, then at best its just a lot of resources and time "wasted" on an old console instead of making it even better on PS5.

No. If PS4 version is developed, they have to keep this version in mind. The base of the game will be shared, otherwise it simply wouldn't run on PS4. Just like GTA V (or GT5) would never run on PS2 but do on PS3. Even if they're doing a great job, then at best its just a lot of resources and time "wasted" on an old console instead of making it even better on PS5.
Especially when you consider the years of updates/DLC involved.

I am now eagerly awaiting a PS5 exclusive GT Sport 2.

The example isn't that relevant since Forza has used that basic tire model since the first game, so it could have been upgraded before now. It's probably being done now because they had more time in which to develop a new physics engine.
The point is still very much relevant. And do you have a source for that?

I doubt the tyre model hasn't been improved substantially since the first Forza title and I also doubt Forza 7's tyre model would run on the original X-Box. But if you have info to the contrary I will happily tip my virtual hat to you.

The point that @FordGTGuy made still stands. A newer, faster processor has a lot to do with physics calculations and how many and how fast they can be processed.

And this could very much limit the PS5 version, as it's highly expected GT7 will be cross play between the two console generations. This would mean the most likely outcome is that PS5 version is nothing more than the PS4 version with better graphics.

It could still be a good game, but it's still a shame they're limiting themselves with such old hardware.

Last edited:
won't matter if the AI sucks.
Yes, they will. GT3 and 4 had far worse AI than GTS but I can still count the amount of racing games that are as good or better on my ten fingers.
and comes with better FPS then I AM HAPPY !
Better than 60fps? 120fps is a bit of a push (as the default option anyway). 90fps maybe.
I doubt the tyre model hasn't been improved substantially since the first Forza title and I also doubt Forza 7's tyre model would run on the original X-Box. But if you have info to the contrary I will happily tip my virtual hat to you.
I expect the tyre model has changed, but one could make the case for it being downgraded.

Last edited:
I expect the tyre model has changed, but one could make the case for it being downgraded.
Absolutely laughably absurd claim to the tire model has been downgraded in technical performance in comparison to Forza Motorsport 1. The physics engine in Forza Motorsport 7 would never run on the original Xbox. Like, you literally can't make the case for it being downgraded in a factual or technical sense; only in a subjective sense which means absolutely nothing. I know for a fact that it is not true as the original tire model only calculated temperature for the entire tire; in later iterations the width of the tire from the edges and the center had separate calculated temperatures.

I see there seems to be some kind of disconnect here.

Your subjective opinion on the realism or quality of a physics engine is NOT the same as the technical performance and reality of the engine itself.

The lowest common denominator will determine the performance of the physics engine.

If GT7 were PS5 only and took full advantage of the CPU for it's physics engine; that does not mean it would be subjectively better to some in comparison to a physics engine of GT7 based on the PS4 Jaguar CPU. We aren't talking about peoples subjective opinions, we are talking about a physics engine being more technically capable.

Last edited:
Yes, they will. GT3 and 4 had far worse AI than GTS but I can still count the amount of racing games that are as good or better on my ten fingers.
Again, physics won't matter if the AI sucks. Not my opinion, but on this website, AI is a greater feature PD should be improving over physics. GT Sport physics can be improved, but it works for the majority. For the majority that do not play Sport Mode, the AI is just not competitive. There are other franchises that do competitive AI.

You can forget about all three of those features. For a PS4 to manage those things and still run at 60 fps it would have to look like a PS3 game.
The devastation is infinite if we get 16 player lobbies again.
In other games you can disable cross-play with the PS4 so you can have larger grids so I don't think it will be an issue for the PS5 GT7 version either. Wreckfest goes from being 16 players up to 24 players in open lobbies for example.

• Fast loading: Go to race events quickly, gather in lobbies and receive friend invites extremely quickly with an ultra-high speed SSD. Select from a huge variety of cars with no load times.

This was written with no PS4 version in mind? I'm just curious to see the state of GT7 now. I hope to be impressed by its graphics, FH5 looks so much better at the moment.

I could imagine if PD brings back endurance races (not the one hour events) four, six, & 24 hours it's going to be awkward having the sun fixed in the same position hour after hour. Looking back to GT5, it's hard to imaging looking forward 11 years onward to 2021 there would have no dynamic time/weather.

I don't see them coming back anyway. GT6 and in part GTS showed their idea of long races is now 20 to 90 minutes broadly speaking.

Plus we know they can't include the LM24 race because Motorsport Games have the license locked up now. We can only hope we get the track.

Plus we know they can't include the LM24 race because Motorsport Games have the license locked up now. We can only hope we get the track.
I feel like they've had what were effectively unlicensed versions of Endurance races anyhow so if it were to bring it back, they wouldn't have a big issue with licensing just as they did have "Cote D' Azure" to avoid the licensing for Monaco. Just a name change and there it would be once again in all its unlicensed glory as I believe it only covers having the official name. Interestingly, no one seems to have exclusive rights on the Nurburgring 24 Hour name (Or the Spa 24 Hour name as far as I'm aware, even though its licensed as an official race in the IGTC on ACC)...Just a thought.

Last edited:
I could imagine if PD brings back endurance races (not the one hour events) four, six, & 24 hours it's going to be awkward having the sun fixed in the same position hour after hour. Looking back to GT5, it's hard to imaging looking forward 11 years onward to 2021 there would have no dynamic time/weather.
To be honest, that would be a dealbreaker for me. It has to be back. I don't care if the graphics didn't advance after GTS and another console generation. I don't care if we don't get a thousand cars. I don't care if the physics still aren't on Assetto Corsa level. I don't care if the sound still isn't great. But i do want dynamic time & weather.

Again, physics won't matter if the AI sucks. Not my opinion, but on this website, AI is a greater feature PD should be improving over physics. GT Sport physics can be improved, but it works for the majority. For the majority that do not play Sport Mode, the AI is just not competitive. There are other franchises that do competitive AI.
But also the AI is being calculated throught the CPU so i don't know how they'll manage to improve it with the ps4 cpu...

But also the AI is being calculated throught the CPU so i don't know how they'll manage to improve it with the ps4 cpu...
By not letting only one AI be the fastest. In early GT games, even though there were only six cars, there was still pack racing. I can't see it being that difficult programming six AI, to be competitive and not give up as soon as the green flag waves.

Absolutely laughably absurd claim to the tire model has been downgraded in technical performance in comparison to Forza Motorsport 1. The physics engine in Forza Motorsport 7 would never run on the original Xbox. Like, you literally can't make the case for it being downgraded in a factual or technical sense; only in a subjective sense which means absolutely nothing. I know for a fact that it is not true as the original tire model only calculated temperature for the entire tire; in later iterations the width of the tire from the edges and the center had separate calculated temperatures.
Technically enhanced? Certainly? Completely undriveable? Also certainly.

Technically enhanced? Certainly? Completely undriveable? Also certainly.
In your opinion, I find the newer Forza Motorsport games far superior texhnically and on a subjective, feels better to me, level. They aren't perfect, but they're about on par with Gran Turismo overall physics wise. It does some things better and other things worse. You're just trolling if your entire argument to debunk @FordGTGuy is this level of diatribe.

Guess I'm in the minority but I'm glad it's finally confirmed to be a PS4 game. I had 500 USD set aside for the new console but now I don't have to spend all of that to experience the next installment of the only game series that I really play on PlayStation.
It's a double edge sword. You now get to save $500 to play on your old PS4, but also get a sub par experience than if it was only on PS5.

It's a double edge sword. You now get to save $500 to play on your old PS4, but also get a sub par experience than if it was only on PS5.
Thing is I've already accepted this "sub par" experience you've mentioned. I accepted the game would be GTS at its core long ago when the first trailer was shown using GTS assets, and I'm okay with the commonly talked about static time of day/weather and current car grid size. I do not race online and I don't do endurance races so neither of those features interest me in a GT title. For me I'm not losing much from the experience by playing on my old PS4.

Last edited:
I would probably agree with this.

However I think logically a 'sub par' experience would have been all you were going to get.

Its come out that PD spent $100mil. on GT5 and a part of that was the new engine. They had to amortise it over GT6 as well.

GT Sport also had a new engine. So I think PD took the low risk route and is just using the same engine on GT7. I dont think there's going to be much in the way of any meaningful improvement to the engine. People can wank on about 60hz vs 120hz and tyre models and how the other side does it better but really, do you think PD wants to tackle that?

PD are flat out making a game around this GT Sport engine as it is and it may likely not even hit Xmas 2022.

If you really want PD to work on revamping the engine AND GT7 then how long do you want to wait? Another four years like GT5?

People need to focus on whats deliverable rather than what the 'other side' is capable of. What's Kaz capable of given the time constraints?

Also couple that with the fact it seems like a 500gb 5,400rpm hard drive is all that's needed now. I wonder where all that talk of next gen m2280 Gen IV 5gb sec. being 'mandatory' went???

Last edited:
Back