Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
It was in the same sentence as God of War and Horizon Forbidden West. It's confirmed.
God of War isn't confirmed as yet either. ''We'll continue looking at that'' isn't confirmation.
Theres no way ps5 could get dinamic tod while ps4 gets stuck with static tod.
So either PD does some VTEC magic to put dinamic time of day on PS4 or people will be stuck with a PS5 gt game based on a 2013 hardware's capabilities.
Or it will be released only on PS5 and everything will be sweet.

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying PS4 can't run dynamic time and weather as if it's some hardware level limitation? Last I checked, Project CARS has both, and a few others have one or the other. It absolutely can do it.

If PD want to do it, they can. It obviously just won't look overall as good as GTS, which would be a big decision but it's not like they don't have precedence for lowering/, inconsistent graphics in their games.

It would be sad but it would make sense as every other developer is taking advantage of the large PS4 player base. Sony isn’t making a lot on PS5 hardware so why not go for big bucks on the PS4 while showcasing your technological prowess on the PS5 version.

Having bought a PS4 exclusively (or at least A LOT) for Gran Turismo, it's good news to me as I don't play GT Sport a lot since it focuses on multiplayer and I own a PC so I don't wanna spend 50 euros a year on a PS Plus membership for something I won't play much. Having a mostly solo experience on the PS4 is good, as all Playstation consoles have had at least 2 GT's.

Also I don't wanna wait a year to get a console that's way too expensive for what I'll be playing

Now I'm just waiting for them to add the blue PS4 icon on Sony's official GT7 website page.

2ecfa4d1-09c7-4538-8113-095d1f70515d.jpg

d8b0e05c-5787-4192-88c0-2d93e94a3134.jpg

Why do people keep saying PS4 can't run dynamic time and weather as if it's some hardware level limitation? Last I checked, Project CARS has both, and a few others have one or the other. It absolutely can do it.

If PD want to do it, they can. It obviously just won't look overall as good as GTS, which would be a big decision but it's not like they don't have precedence for lowering/, inconsistent graphics in their games.

Well pd couldn't do it with gt sport,and even if they can the PS5 will be just an upgrade instead of a fully fledged version.
Not saying gt7 will be a bad game,PD can pull off a great gt game on PS4 it just won't be an evolution that the PS5 could provide
I would gladly eat my words if GT7 on PS5 is amazing

Last edited:
First time I've been an early adopter of a console and massively disappointed by these news.

Consoles are now heading the way of PC's with no generations, with more Sony titles coming to PC i may end up switching one day.

The possibility of GT7 being cross gen is the real killer for me.. i never forget the leap in technology for GT3,GT5 and GTS,

"Can run" vs. "can run at a stable 60fps" are different things. Kaz already said they got rid of dynamic time for GTSport because they wanted to prioritize a stable 60fps on PS4. Pcars runs like butt on PS4 and I highly doubt these framerates are something Polyphony wants in a competitive esports focus online mode. Now maybe if they lowered the graphical quality of track assets to PS3 era for GT7 on PS4 to reach a stable 60fps, but then that would mean those PS3 quality track assets will also be used for the PS5 version but in higher-res. They're not going to make 2 completely different assets optimized for each PS4 and PS5. Last-gen consoles will always hold back the next-gen no matter how you look at it.

pcw6jle.jpg

Quote from develeoper who works at DICE on the Battlefield games posted this on ResetERA forums.
"You're not going to have people making different level design or level art work for two different platforms, it's not the 80s and 90s anymore.
1f61b.png

People really love assuming things that aren’t stated to be fact around here, don’t they?

Until it starts making its way into marketing material and/or PD officially mentions it, there is no cross platform release. It is still a PS5 exclusive as of now. Some passing remark in an interview with a high-up suit who may not know everything 100% for certain is not official confirmation.

GT7 was also never confirmed to have dynamic time of day or weather. So for all we know a cross platform release wouldn’t sacrifice any functionality if it never had that feature to begin with. I mean it would be nice, yeah, but it’s not something we should assume will be in GT7 on the PS5 at this time.

Anyways the main thing that makes me believe this will probably still just be a PS5 exclusive is because Kaz has been on record (I’m pretty sure) saying the PS5 is this amazing piece of hardware that has let the team develop to an extent not possible on the PS4 given that it was using outdated hardware even when it came out. I just couldn’t see them getting GT7 to work on the PS4 if Sport was already pushing the limits of the console. Unless Sony has ordered them to sacrifice parts of the game in order to reach a wider audience due to the PS5 shortage.

People really love assuming things that aren’t stated to be fact around here, don’t they?

Until it starts making its way into marketing material and/or PD officially mentions it, there is no cross platform release. It is still a PS5 exclusive as of now. Some passing remark in an interview with a high-up suit who may not know everything 100% for certain is not official confirmation.

GT7 was also never confirmed to have dynamic time of day or weather. So for all we know a cross platform release wouldn’t sacrifice any functionality if it never had that feature to begin with. I mean it would be nice, yeah, but it’s not something we should assume will be in GT7 on the PS5 at this time.

Anyways the main thing that makes me believe this will probably still just be a PS5 exclusive is because Kaz has been on record (I’m pretty sure) saying the PS5 is this amazing piece of hardware that has let the team develop to an extent not possible on the PS4 given that it was using outdated hardware even when it came out. I just couldn’t see them getting GT7 to work on the PS4 if Sport was already pushing the limits of the console. Unless Sony has ordered them to sacrifice parts of the game in order to reach a wider audience due to the PS5 shortage.

Hermen Hulst took over Shu's Job at Sony. Herman is now a director Board Member at Polyphony Digital.

https://www.polyphony.co.jp/company/

• Board Members

Representative Director: Kazunori Yamauchi
    Director: Kazuhiko Takeda
    Director: Hermen-ard Hulst
    Auditor: Makiko Aoyagi

Last edited:
Hermen Hulst took over Shu's Job at Sony. Herman is now a director Board Member at Polyphony Digital.

https://www.polyphony.co.jp/company/

Right, and I assume whatever he says is gospel now and information taken from interviews with him takes precedence over any official announcements or marketing material.

Honestly I'm feeling we need to retitle the thread to "Gran Turismo 7 *****COULD***** Launch on Playstation 4 and Playstation 5" right about now.

Last edited:
Right, and I assume whatever he says is gospel now and information taken from interviews with him takes precedence over any official announcements or marketing material.

What gets announced or marketed for GT or any other first party game always came higher up from Sony. Kaz even said as much. Polyphony doesn't make the marketing calls.

I mean, just look at Hermen's job. He is the "Head of WorldWide Studios" at Playstation, which encompassing all of sony's first party. It's literally his job to know and direct what's going on with every first party studio at Playstation.

Last edited:
What gets announced or marketed for GT or any other first party game always came higher up from Sony. Kaz even said as much. Polyphony doesn't make the marketing calls.

I mean, just look at Hermen's job. He is the "Head of WorldWide Studios" at Playstation, which encompassing all of sony's first party. It's literally his job to know and direct what's going on with every first party studio at Playstation.

OK sure, he's important. I already knew that. But why are you trying so hard to make it seem like this is 100% official confirmation? If you look at the original wording of the message he said they'd do crossplatform releases if it made sense to do it. For all we know GT7 could be too much for the PS4 making it not feasible to release for that platform without significant downgrades. In that case it wouldn't make sense and it would remain a PS5 exclusive.

I mean I get from your OP you seem pretty dead-set in your way of thinking but I'm honestly struggling to find a scenario where anyone could see GT7 being a crossplatform and being significantly downgraded as being the absolute certain future. The wording in the interview isn't even there for it to be an absolute certainty at this point. I need more than a small mention with several other games in an interview to accept that the game is indeed coming to the PS4 beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Last edited:
That would be extremely disappointing to say the least. But I don’t think PD are that short sighted, but they also released GT6 at the end of the PS3 era so...

Last edited:
Are they actually going to force PD to work on a two different platform at the same time? That's not good news. PD are relatively small for an AAA dev, they are already struggling with one game as it is, how can they expect them to work on both PS4 and PS5?

Well, if God of War "Ragnarok" is going to PS4, I think it's fair for GT7 to do the same thing.

I think the GT7 would be a big flop if it came out exclusively for the PS5...

Last edited:
That would be extremely disappointing to say the least. But I don’t think PD are that short sighted, but they also released GT6 at the end of the PS3 era so...
I think it's a Sony decision to make it cross gen,i don't think any developer wants to deal with old gen hardware restrains but it seems the new managment at Sony doesn't give a crap about qualit,they want to sell as many copies as possible

Well, if God of War "Ragnarok" is going to PS4, I think it's fair for GT7 to do the same thing.

I think the GT7 would be a big flop if it came out exclusively for the PS5...
I think it's the opposite... Look at GT3 for example, it came out very early on the new ps2 but it was the most succesful GT ever while GT6 it was the least sold title of the mainline series even it came out in the end of the generation

Back