Gran Turismo 7 Confirmed to also launch on PlayStation 4, is a cross-gen title

• Thread starter Vspectra
  • 2,048 comments

Are you disappointed GT7 is also on PS4 with gameplay & graphic assets held back by PS4 limitations?

• Total voters
Why would they nerf the haptics? lol?
The trouble there is that we know PD have form with disabling anything that will give you an advantage in the FIA competitive side of online racing, the gear shifter being the culprit before, so I'm not sure how PD could possibly justify disabling one of the consoles selling points for competition.
I believe if it's cross gen they will.

Last edited:
I'd say the majority of people responding to this article are looking too deeply into something that (at the moment) isn't there. Hulst literally says in the same sentence that he mentioned GT7 that cross-platform availability is some that "they'll continue looking at." Regardless of his position within Sony, that is not confirmation of GT7 being cross-platform in any capacity.

Besides, If cross-platform availability ends up being the worst thing for GT7, than I'd say the game is in a pretty good spot so far, considering how GT5, GT6, and to an extent GT Sport went. For me personally, I know I'm gonna get a PS5 much later down the line, so the possibility of GT7 being on PS4 is basically meaningless, imo. The game (and its developers) has far more significant hurdles to overcome.

Plus, as @FT-1 already mentioned, this would let PD continue their 2 games/generation tradition going, silly as it may be.

Why would they nerf the haptics? lol?

The haptic feedback can't be an essential part of the game if the most players doesn't have a access to the functionality.

Example: with assists enabled you should be slower than without assists. The way to bridge that would be with haptic feedback that let's the players outperform TCS and ABS

Plus, as @FT-1 already mentioned, this would let PD continue their 2 games/generation tradition going, silly as it may be.
I could see GT8 being a PS5 Exclusive, sure.

Example: with assists enabled you should be slower than without assists. The way to bridge that would be with haptic feedback that let's the players outperform TCS and ABS
I'm sorry, but I'm confused how could controller rumbles outperform TCS and ABS?

Last edited:
To me, "we'll continue looking at that" reads "there will be more crossgen first party titles beyond the three we've specifically listed".

Well, that's your prerogative, but that also doesn't make the latter true. At least wait for Sony to give you a legit reason to disappointed, rather than wasting a whole bunch of energy now on speculation.

Bro are you serious? The PS4 could barely handle GT Sport as it is ..
Which basically means it will be Gt sport with a paint job

Honestly, I feel kinda scammed. I bought a PS5 in December to experience the "cutting-edge games that can only be experienced on the PS5". So far I haven't played anything particularly "cutting-edge". Ratchet & clank rift apart looks good though
I specifically bought a PS5 for GT7 I was even about to move back to Fanatec after going simucube.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess that they're just experimenting will this game capable to run on PS5.

I also believe that Polyphony Digital used to try and run a Gran Turismo installment for PS Vita but failed, due to its optimization being too nightmarish.

As a PS5 owner I dont worry about the graphics, but ps4 compatibility and cross-gen online racing equals to major bottleneck in physics modeling.. :rolleyes:

And as i believe cross-gen, if true, has been a hasty decision that would have been made due to PS5 shortage in the middle of the game developement, this could mess-up the game itself quite badly. If PDI has started GT7 as PS5 title and Sony forced them to break the game or start from scratch for cross-gen, the game will delay quite badly and propably be a mess when released..:indiff:

And yes all this is possible as was said in the interview - PS5 exclusive would be bad business and Cash Is King..

Last edited:
Well, I'm not rich, and I'm Brazilian. This means I could not afford a PS5 even if there were no shortages at all. So that's a sigh of relief for me and my bank account.

But I'm also wondering which stuff they'll cut from the PS4 version, because now it seems pretty obvious that the PS4 version won't be identical to the PS5 one.
LOL, you're an optimistic one. All the interesting features are getting cut from the PS5 version.

The haptic feedback can't be an essential part of the game if the most players doesn't have a access to the functionality.

This is a silly idea unless you also want to ban wheels (or horribly nerf their handling, Forza-style). Thank goodness it doesn't appear PD thinks that way.

The PS5 is a fundamentally different platform and isn't just a faster PS4 in a fancy new shell. It enables new approaches to game design that wasn't possible last gen. Just look at what the devs have managed to do with the super fast I/O throughput (the fast SSD is just one part of the equation) and haptics with Ratchet & Clank.

People are right to expect first party launch titles to fully take advantage of the hardware. So, it's very disappointing when Sony is dropping hints that they're just not able to deliver.
PS5 is just a better PS4 just like your old PC vs a new one. Why is it that it plays most PS4 games? Cause it is a PS4. Put a SSD in your PS4 and see how fast it is. Change my mind.

snc
beyond stupid but will explain why it looks like gt sport
Why is it stupid? If Sony can make more money on the sale of GT 7 then I don't see why its stupid. Also a whole lot more people own a PS4 and its not easy to buy a PS5 so I thing its a good move

Seriously I don't understand why so many people think its a bad idea for it to come to PS4 too. Millions more people own a PS4 than people who own a PS5. It makes good sense business wise

PS5 is just a better PS4 just like your old PC vs a new one. Why is it that it plays most PS4 games? Cause it is a PS4. Put a SSD in your PS4 and see how fast it is. Change my mind.
I put an SSD in my PS4 slim and it makes a very big difference not only in loading times but in the whole user interface. Apps load faster , theres no stuttering or lag when loading everything and games load faster. The SSD makes a very big difference in loading times with GT Sport too.

I understand the disappointment about how this will inevitably will diminish the PS5 experience, but at the same time it is true that ps5 supply is an ongoing issue.

And if a PS4 version helps to keep more fans happy why not? I can see the positive side in that, although likely the true motive is more profit.

I don't feel sour about my ps5 purchase either if cross generation. I was able to secure a ps5 (lucky), and sold my ps4 for good money. The difference I paid is well worth the additional performance of the PS5 in some games and general GUI experience.

It is lighting fast in everything it does and I use it every day for either youtube or as Plex media center or as blu ray player, and of course gaming and I appreciate the faster load times for ps4 titles also.

Why is it stupid? If Sony can make more money on the sale of GT 7 then I don't see why its stupid. Also a whole lot more people own a PS4 and its not easy to buy a PS5 so I thing its a good move

Seriously I don't understand why so many people think its a bad idea for it to come to PS4 too. Millions more people own a PS4 than people who own a PS5. It makes good sense business wise
Well said.👍

"The PS5 expanded the possibilities of game development": Leading developers assess the first six months of PS5 | GamesRadar+

"I'd expect that the SSD may be the biggest overall game-changer," says Keith Lee. "As we move from generic engine code designed to run on PS4 or PC to hand-tuned streaming pipelines developed specifically for the PS5 we should see amazing leaps in both content detail as well as the speed with which this content loads. This won't just mean denser open worlds that load faster, but super-detailed small environments."

"But the drive doesn't simply ensure faster loading times. "It wasn't just throwing in an SSD like you do on a PC to gain speed," argues Manuel Fernandez. "[Mark] Cerny rethought the whole way you access storage, removing bottlenecks and gaining more bandwidth than just what's available from the drive itself, multiplying the bandwidth through dedicated on-the-fly compression and decompression."

A lot of that is technical jargon but the PS5's architecture changes the fundamentals from game design filled with tunnels and long repetitive animations to hide loading/slow streaming to how fast you can physically move through the game world. Assuming, of course, there's no PS4 to hinder the developer's ambitions.

I wouldn't mind it on my ps4 pro, i mean we cant buy a ps5 and if we can the prices are through the roof etc...saw a local seller to me on ebay with 5 ps5s for sale, 600+ each...hmm...:crazy:.

Ive been there since the start of gt buying 2 games per system plus the prologues, so i`d like it...

...so, I am a bit disappointed as well, but this is business. It makes sense to also use the PS4 community to increase sales.

My take would be something like the following scenario - release GT7 cross-gen with bare minimum specs, then at some point release a 'dynamic weather, feature X' PS5-only patch. This way, they also milk PS4 owners - who will be happy to get something and also keep PS5 users happy because they get something exclusive to their systems.

But let's keep what can be done better in the PS5 without ruining the experience. Ray tracing, better distance LOD (for me this is currently a major put-off), better shadows, increased resolution (native 4k), better anti-aliasing, increased frame rates, use higher res 3d models as well. For me personally, GT Sport is good enough, and its graphics is certainly not what's killing the game (more on this)..

The fact that dynamic weather/time of day was not implemented in PS4, could be bad optimization - as developers work over time can solve any problem. I am certain they can squeeze more detail on the tracks as well, or make 3d trees (actually what they've done with the trees works really well in GTS). Also it's bad to compare to 'other titles that do it', because, we are talking apples and oranges.

...so, what would make this game better, is better AI and proper racing, not just 'challenges'... rushing to pass the first car; this fact alone means that there's huge rubber-banding, so the whole 'car class' thing fails. AI also uses computational power, but I guess this is not why they haven't messed with it, but rather because people learned to expect it from GT titles, and/or needs a lot of refactoring to make it work properly.

Bringing GT7 to smartphones and tablets would be a good business decision too, doesn't mean it's best for the series.

Especially when the past 2 games either released exclusively on a previous gen console (GT6) or was a spinoff game made to kickstart GT's eSport scene. The fans deserve a true next gen game this time around, no more compromises.

Assuming for the sake of argument that this is true, between fears that it won't be as good as it could be on PS5, and fears that it will turn out poorly on PS4 because it was made for PS5, I think it is likely enough that when you exclude graphics, GT7 will be a lot like GT Sport under the hood, rather than some much more elaborate game that is much more intensive with things like physics, AI, and object counts. In that context, the difference between the versions is likely enough to amount to GT7 looking like GT Sport on PS4, while taking advantage of extra visual detail and flair on PS5 as well as the new console's features (eg. the controller triggers).

You fundamentally wrong. SSD isnt just faster. It 100 times faster. Location that would load on PS4 for 3 seconds would load on PS5 instantly(if we consider faster RAM difference is even bigger).

Then, CPU is x8 times faster, which means that density of scenes would be MUCH higher. For example, instead of 1v1 race you could have 16 cars on starting grid.

They already let people play with wheels and pedals, this is no different.

And the worst part is PD with their limited resources having to juggle two games on different hardware.

They won't be juggling 2 games, the core game will be the same with a split late in development to implement PS5 features (Trophies, Activities, Haptic Feedback etc.) before generating the PS5 package, it only requires a small team. Heck I've set up some of those on my own before.

Last edited:
Assuming for the sake of argument that this is true, between fears that it won't be as good as it could be on PS5, and fears that it will turn out poorly on PS4 because it was made for PS5, I think it is likely enough that when you exclude graphics, GT7 will be a lot like GT Sport under the hood, rather than some much more elaborate game that is much more intensive with things like physics, AI, and object counts. In that context, the difference between the versions is likely enough to amount to GT7 looking like GT Sport on PS4, while taking advantage of extra visual detail and flair on PS5 as well as the new console's features (eg. the controller triggers).

In BF4 we missed out night maps thanks to Ps3 and xbox 360 because of a contract to keep the generations equal.

Now regarding content the same could happen.

This is disappointing. I dont own a ps5 yet but I was waiting on it just for GT7 to come out.

Now it all makes sense. Poly is simply updating GTSport. And the PS5 version will be RT version.

Having a quick scroll through GT Sport 1.47 memory and I spotted these so far:

Added after GT Sport 1.14:
- trialmoutain
- highspeedring
- road_atlanta
- grandvalley
- capering
- midfield
- eiger_short
- grandcanyon

I think that's about it for tracks with a label, there's a bunch of "test_*person's name*" tracks in there.

Last edited:
Back