Gran Turismo 7: How Trial Mountain Has Changed

Why is it bad for everyone else?[/QUOTE]
I think Gran Turismo original tracks are memorable plus unique. I can still feel them eventhough I haven't played all previous GT games since GT Sport coming (I have no enough time and space so far). Changing them means breaking their originality. It is not the same with revising real circuits that based on official rules and calendars. Like I said no point they will be returning if getting changed. But I can't say either I hate it or not. It is all PD to decide.

But based on what they've shown us so far, it's really not any more realistic than before. There are still exposed rockfaces on the exit of corners and no barriers around much of the track. Sure, it's early days and things can change but it's not like any of the fictional GTS tracks are particularly realistic either in terms of safety.

Agree completely. Like I said some posts earlier it needs armco, fences, barriers, soft walls, sand traps, run off areas, etc...

If it stayed the way it was, someone who screws the corner up would absolutely ruin the race for everyone behind them and maybe even one or two ahead.
How the new chicane changes this? If someone at the back doesn't brake, it will ruin the race for everyone too. Or even more, because the difference in speeds is much greater.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this too. My thought was that instead of the aforementioned slow chicane, we could have a section inspired by Surfers Paradise’s beachside chicane.

With barriers on the inside of the apexes, there would be no option to cut the corners and we’d still get a fast paced curb hopping section without cars flying off the side of a dirt mound.

But then I’m weird and love track sections like that and the old Singapore Sling.

oh god the pileups that would happen though :P

---------------

I really hope High Speed Ring makes a return, that track was always my favorite.

Hell, give us a chicane'd version too just to make people mad

I'm not angry about it. Just annoyed. Yes the track does look largely the same but they added a whole mile to the track and why? Online racing. That shows the total lack of understanding what the majority want. Sport mode isn't for everybody. If it is for you then good for you, but it is not for me. Making totally unnecessary changes like this is bad for everyone else. The take up of the Trophy you have to get to do any online racing in GTS is 33.7% You only have to watch a pair of two minute videos to get it.... Gaming itself, for most, is a hobby to be enjoyed after work or after you've done your homework, not the sweatfest of competitive online competition that eSports represent. Making changes like this for a minority is just not a good idea overall.
You genuinely think that it was updated for online racing only? And to say that PD don't understand what the majority wants is utter crap. Why else would they bother bringing Trial Mountain back if the fans didn't want it? How can you suggest that their effort was for the minority who play eSports competitively? Look on the bright side mate. It's for everyone to enjoy.

You genuinely think that it was updated for online racing only? And to say that PD don't understand what the majority wants is utter crap. Why else would they bother bringing Trial Mountain back if the fans didn't want it? How can you suggest that their effort was for the minority who play eSports competitively? Look on the bright side mate. It's for everyone to enjoy.

Just my two cents.

People wanted trial mountain as it was. There was no issues that people had with the layout last time it was in a GT game, so why change the layout? What problem is it solving?

Longer straights and a tight chicane only function to create overtaking opportunities, something which has never been a problem when racing Gran Turismo AI on tracks more than two car widths wide.

how the new chicane changes this? It someone in the back dont brake, it will ruin the race for everyone too.

Yep, this weeks Race C shows how well most people handle long straights preceeding a tight chicane. And that's with run-off. The last chicane is just a sprint into a wall from both ends.

Last edited:
Just my two cents.

People wanted trial mountain as it was. There was no issues that people had with the layout last time it was in a GT game, so why change the layout? What problem is it solving?

Longer straights and a tight chicane only function to create overtaking opportunities, something which has never been a problem when racing Gran Turismo AI on tracks more than two car widths wide.
Some of us don’t just race the crappy GT AI but real people as well.

Yep, this weeks Race C shows how well most people handle long straights preceeding a tight chicane. And that's with run-off. The last chicane is just a sprint into a wall from both ends.
The last chicane now offers overtaking opportunities (like with Spa) versus a single racing line (like with the death chicane at Dragon Trail).

Both have the potential for massive pileups, punts, and crashes. Only one offers overtaking opportunities as well.

Some of us don’t just race the crappy GT AI but real people as well.

Did you read the post I was replying to? I am arguing that the layout change has only been made because of a problem they perceive with online racing.

The last chicane now offers overtaking opportunities (like with Spa) versus a single racing line (like with the death chicane at Dragon Trail).

Both have the potential for massive pileups, punts, and crashes. Only one offers overtaking opportunities as well.

The death chicane is really only an issue for players because theres close walls on both apexes. Not because of passing opportunities or lack thereof.

There will be pileups with the new layout, because unlike the Spa or Monza chicanes (or Senna S at Interlagos), theres no space inside or outside the corner to avoid accidents from divebombs. That's just insane to me that you'd look at Trial Mountains last corner and think "yep, we need less margin for error here".

That aside, you dont need passing opportunities on the last/ first corner of every track...especially when the player base specifically asked for a track without many overtaking opportunities.

Last edited:
It's a change made for Sport mode reasons. This punishes solo players to pander to the Sport mode brigade. It is unacceptable and shows that PD still doesn't get it about GT. They never learn.
How is the pitlane going to allow for 20 (or more?) cars if it goes unchaged even in offline? 6 car grids isn't really ideal in any mode anymore, especially in an endurance setting.

How is the pitlane going to allow for 20 (or more?) cars if it goes unchaged even in offline? 6 car grids isn't really ideal in any mode anymore, especially in an endurance setting.
I remember doing 10 player online races in GT5, and that was a tight pitlane. Even worse was that the pit lane spat out directly onto the one line that exists through the first 2 corners.

Old layout offered overtaking at the first tunnel if you had better speed from the last chicane into it. I find that much more enjoyable. Stop The Tilkechicanes

I always thought that Trial Mountain was a bit too compact. Extending the track makes it better in my opinion; spending a few extra seconds on the straights isn't that big of a deal is it? I could say the same about the last corner. What's the harm in adding another passing opportunity? I'm not complaining about the changes because they aren't that significant.

I always thought that Trial Mountain was a bit too compact. Extending the track makes it better in my opinion; spending a few extra seconds on the straights isn't that big of a deal is it? I could say the same about the last corner. What's the harm in adding another passing opportunity? I'm not complaining about the changes because they aren't that significant.

Speaking of small-sized classic tracks, I always felt that Autumn Ring was the most compact one. If this track is coming back, it'll be definitely going under even more drastic changes.

Last edited:
Speaking of small-sized classic tracks, I always felt that Autumn Ring was the most compact one. If this track is coming back, it'll be definitely going under even more drastic changes.
Depends. I'd have to see the length compared to Tsukuba and Miyabi.

If they continue faking pit stops would that even matter?

It wouldn't, unless they make a mess of it like Goodwood. Its a ridiculous argument in the first place, they could've easily extended the pits without changing the track layout.

It's always been heavily implied it was English, based on where it fell in events.
Where in England could Trial Mountain be set in? The only locations that come to mind are either the Lake District or the Pennines but even then that’s a stretch.

I'm liking the theory of possibly 24 cars or more. With pit lane being double the length, I'm going to go with 30 cars on track.

30 cars ARE in GTSport( Mission Challenge Stage 6/8 at Lago GP). That's also multi-class Gr.3 & Gr.4. If PD can work out 30 hig resolution cars on track, using a "7 year old" sytem, I'm confident it can be a standard number of cars, at least offline.

Funny that it was the opposite where 24 slots can be placed online, but not offline.

How the new chicane changes this? If someone at the back doesn't brake, it will ruin the race for everyone too. Or even more, because the difference in speeds is much greater.
It's not quite as simple. The way the track is formed manages it. In every corner, people can ram and be rammed, but if it had the old chicane, someone could hit the slope and fly onto the cars in front of them, causing other cars to lose control worse than they would in any other location in the game, causing a horrible pile-up that more or less can't be fixed. If someone rams someone on the old chicane, they could cause a pileup like this.

Re-watched the trailer after a few weeks.

The long straights still seem fine to me, and are probably necessary to allow racing in Gr4 and above.

The final chicane just doesn't seem workable - way too acute to have absolutely zero run-off. I hope it is revised before launch.

chicane.PNG

There are several real world tracks at not that ideal locations. Monaco and Bathurst. Those don't have enough runoff at their final turns. Bathurst is met with grass and a wall. Plenty of cars have gone off and not recovered. Monaco is Monaco. Also Canada. The Wall of Champions, has claimed many a... well Champion. Trial "MOuntain" is pretty much the same. PD saw fit to design it this way and we'll get to test it.

Back