Gran Turismo 7: How Trial Mountain Has Changed

I think we should expect redesigns for all of the classic original tracks. Some of those haven't been touched since GT4, like Grand Valley Speedway, and looked very outdated in GT6.

At best, I would only expect major revisions for mostly anything that hasn't been touched since Gran Turismo 3 and 4 (Or in the extremely unlikely case, anything that hasn't come back since GT2). As I've said before, High Speed Ring is one of only three fictional circuits that actually got modernized during the PS3 era for a generation of online racing along with Apricot Hill and Mid-Field Raceway in GT6 so those will more then likely just get some aesthetic touches to slightly update them (and possibly some moderately updated curbing in Apricot Hill's case).

I think will suffer most from renovations will be Deep Forest. I have no doubt of that. Originally, it was very short (3,600km).

The second part of the track has sequential curves and short curves. I think will be impossible for 20 cars to run there, without a proper run-off area. The curves are likely to be extended. Why?

In sequential turns, the first car misses the turn to cause a big collision with several cars, because there is no adequate run-off area to remove the failing car from the path.

Also, it will be curious change that deadly cliff, where there is only one guardrail originally.

Last edited:
I don't exactly mind the last corner change much. I don't love it or hate it but it's a good thing since I won't be able to skip it anymore when I'm in a pinch. This'll teach me.

Last edited:
I hope that they don't widen the tracks too much, the trial Mountain width was far too much imo, the track is more suitable for faster cars but at the expense of track difficulty.

Yeah I'm not a fan. I didnt think Trial Mountain was great because of long straights and extra low speed chicanes. It was great because all the corners flowed into each other.

Keep in mind that this track will also be run in reverse configuration.

The ‘final’ chicane is not just the last part of the track. It also is the first turn in the reverse direction.

The decision was likely to keep from 24 cars funneling into the (only) racing line through that chicane in the old version at the very start and causing a disaster.
GT sport has rolling starts in sport mode for this reason. Its not an issue for tracks like Dragon Trail Gardens. Plowing into an extremely tight chicane with no run off on the other hand is bound to be a total mess.

Last edited:
I think will suffer most from renovations will be Deep Forest. I have no doubt of that. Originally, it was very short (3,400km). And the second part of the track has sequential curves and closed curves. I think it will be impossible for 20 cars to run there, without a proper run-off. The curves are likely to be extended. It is also curious to change that deadly cliff, where there is only one guardrail originally.

Oh yeah, there is no way that's coming back untouched. Right off, I can see the section from Turn 7 to 9 (The cliff portion) becoming a Straight (Never grasped the point of all that weaving honestly) and the whole portion after turn 1 to Turn 7 is definitely getting the widening treatment. Feel like that last corner is getting a redo too, not to the extent of Trail mountain but its last iteration is just asking for a complete cluster from today's win-at-all cost morons (Who will continue to go for a gap that no longer exists).

Last edited:
For the little we saw, I'm very happy with the track. It's just an evolution. Nostalgia? Yes, but with present and future "salt and pepper" touch.

The original will always be best but I'm pretty excited to drive on the redesign. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the fact they gave it an actual location. The fun of the OG GT tracks is that you didn't really know where they were!

Maybe if it were a bit like this.
Inkedtrial mountain_LI.jpg

looking forward to getting this track back, as soon as I saw the clip I shuddered like others remembering that license :nervous:
Also Evo magazine had a GT4 competition in the Nov 2005 issue using licence test 7 in the International A licences and the Ruf Yellowbird, I spent so many hours doing that over and over and over again :D

This is one of the tracks that helped giving Gran Turismo soul from the very beginning. It appears to have been preserved despite the final corner now looking less fun.

I think they should have kept the old layout but simply remove the banked inside making cars bounce off the ground. It would seem like a better middle-ground than adding a hard chicane.

And I still don't understand the reason why they are changing the map angles....:confused::ouch:
I don't know why but this kinda annoys me. I can't look at this.
Same with Laguna in GTS.. In GT4, the map was 90° right!..
Keep them as they used to be.. They look like another track.

I did not disapprove of the shape of the new chicane. But I am concerned about the absence of run off area, which should be located in the two areas of tangencies. If it stays that way, there will be a lot of collision, especially when starting in the reverse mode of Trial Mountain. Perhaps, to prevent damming and collision, could do this:
chicane.jpg
How do we know there isn't a runoff? It wasn't seen in the trailer, so we have no idea. In reverse configuration, there would be some runoff anyway and I can only assume the rock was has been moved back on the right side of the forward configuration.

As for the changes, I'm fine with the change to the chicane. It might be too aggressive, but I will reserve judgement on that until I drive it. Remember, it will be driven with cars ranging from kei cars up to F1. I'm sadder about the reprofiling of T4. I was so satisfying to get T3-4 right, but equally frustrating to make the mistake in 3 and have the crash in 4. The short straight largely disconnects the two. Oh well, not going to stop me getting it though.

It would be nice if PD gave us Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Grand Valley circuits as a parting 'Thank You' gift to GTS players for their continued support throughout the game.

Yeah, seeing Trial Mountain in its latest iteration makes me a little disappointed that we won’t actually get to race on it for a long while.

How do we know there isn't a runoff? It wasn't seen in the trailer, so we have no idea. In reverse configuration, there would be some runoff anyway and I can only assume the rock was has been moved back on the right side of the forward configuration.
At this stage the rock face is still there so there's no run off at all in the normal track direction, and there's virtually no run off in the reverse direction either. It can be clearly seen in one of the images for this news article but being such early days of the tracks reveal this still could change.

gran-turismo-7-ps5-screenshots-4k-24.jpg

It would be nice if PD gave us Trial Mountain, Deep Forest and Grand Valley circuits as a parting 'Thank You' gift to GTS players for their continued support throughout the game.

Thats about the only thing that will differentiate GT7 from GTS track wise, (no-one would buy the next game if they did), at least they listened and gave us Spa and Laguna Seca... Im expecting a very light GT7 in terms of (new) tracks that will have a similar update model to GTS... I dont like this approach, but it means I can get the game when its a tenner with twice the content and when the PS5 has reduced by a £100 from its starting price... Early adoption is pointless these days better to wait for patches and updates...

It's a change made for Sport mode reasons. This punishes solo players to pander to the Sport mode brigade. It is unacceptable and shows that PD still doesn't get it about GT. They never learn.

At this stage the rock face is still there so there's no run off at all in the normal track direction, and there's virtually no run off in the reverse direction either. It can be clearly seen in one of the images for this news article but being such early days of the tracks reveal this still could change.

View attachment 930627
You may be correct, but the first part of the chicane in your picture looks to be more gentle a corner than what is depicted on the track map.

You may be correct, but the first part of the chicane in your picture looks to be more gentle a corner than what is depicted on the track map.
upload_2020-6-15_15-18-19.png

That looks like the barrier is very close to the inside of the 120-degree left before the rumble strip, but it leaves a full car-width on the inside, which you could cut. There's significant apron on the left, to allow for quite a wide angle into the 90-degree right.

The barrier to the right looks pretty close throughout, but it's just shy of the right-hand apex - maybe half a car-width - allowing for some cutting.

It sucks that people are jerks and will always look for ways to cut the track, making that barrier between grass and asphalt necessary. Though a barrier that goes from the dot marking turn 15 directly to the bottom of the u in mountain then running parallel to the track back to the pit wall would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Back