Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 51,059 comments
  • 7,994,988 views
I don't know if this is the best place to express my displeasure at the state of Gran Turismo, but Forza has really exposed some of the shortcomings of the franchise and I have to say something.

GT7 is a great game in a lot of ways. It has the best physics, the best graphics, the best sounds and the best customisation to date, however it will not go down in history as a classic like GT4. You want to know why? Excuses. Lame excuses to justify some of the truly baffling design decisions that only serve to infuriate the community for no reason at all. Why push the ultra-expensive cars into a seperate dealer? Why have menu books? Why have a "world map"? Why have such a poorly laid out career mode? Why can't we buy the vehicles eligible for a championship without having to quit out of the race menu, go into Brand Central, go into the dealer, get the car, choose the colour and return to the event menu with another half a dozen button presses? Not even GT4 was this complicated. Fact is, PD have done a lot of things right in the past, but nowadays they aren't. Why no arcade mode? Why can't we just pick a car, pick a track and go? Is that really soo hard? Why do we have to earn money to simply drive a car on our own terms? Yes, I do like a good career mode (not saying GT7's is) where I earn my way up through the rankings, but some days I just want to get in and go. Why not give people that choice? It's soo stupid and pointless. PD and Sony have intentionally pulled the rug out from underneath us to push microtransactions, which is pretty ****** if you ask me. The strategy they have adopted is divisive, stupid and idiotic, preventing GT from ever expanding beyond it's already small niche. Give the people choice, just like you did all those years ago. Why regress? Why put the ultra-expensive cars behind a paywall? Why force people to grind for hours and hours just to drive one car for a few minutes? It's a total waste when you can drive anything you want without any grinding in Forza Motorsport. Don't give us "free" updates when certain cars require a stupid amount of grinding to obtain. Time is not something that everybody has on their side, so please, for the love of God, just let people do what they like! If they want to play career mode, that's fine. If they just want to get their hands on their favourite car for a few minutes, that's also fine. I may like being put into a box (because I'm part cat) but others don't so open the gates! Let people live out their driving fantasies without having to lose precious time that could otherwise be spent touching grass and seeing family! Games are supposed to be fun, and for most, GT7 simply isn't. Things have to change if this series is to survive the next decade, because at this rate, it won't.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if this is the best place to express my displeasure at the state of Gran Turismo, but Forza has really exposed some of the shortcomings of the franchise and I have to say something.

GT7 is a great game in a lot of ways. It has the best physics, the best graphics, the best sounds and the best customisation to date, however it will not go down in history as a classic like GT4. You want to know why? Excuses. Lame excuses to justify some of the truly baffling design decisions that only serve to infuriate the community for no reason at all. Why push the ultra-expensive cars into a seperate dealer? Why have menu books? Why have a "world map"? Why have such a poorly laid out career mode? Why can't we buy the vehicles eligible for a championship without having to quit out of the race menu, go into Brand Central, go into the dealer, get the car, choose the colour and return to the event menu with another half a dozen button presses? Not even GT4 was this complicated. Fact is, PD have done a lot of things right in the past, but nowadays they aren't. Why no arcade mode? Why can't we just pick a car, pick a track and go? Is that really soo hard? Why do we have to earn money to simply drive a car on our own terms? Yes, I do like a good career mode (not saying GT7's is) where I earn my way up through the rankings, but some days I just want to get in and go. Why not give people that choice? It's soo stupid and pointless. PD and Sony have intentionally pulled the rug out from underneath us to push microtransactions, which is pretty ****** if you ask me. The strategy they have adopted is divisive, stupid and idiotic, preventing GT from ever expanding beyond it's already small niche. Give the people choice, just like you did all those years ago. Why regress? Why put the ultra-expensive cars behind a paywall? Why force people to grind for hours and hours just to drive one car for a few minutes? It's a total waste when you can drive anything you want without any grinding in Forza Motorsport. Don't give us "free" updates when certain cars require a stupid amount of grinding to obtain. Time is not something that everybody has on their side, so please, for the love of God, just let people do what they like! If they want to play career mode, that's fine. If they just want to get their hands on their favourite car for a few minutes, that's also fine. I may like being put into a box (because I'm part cat) but others don't so open the gates! Let people live out their driving fantasies without having to lose precious time that could otherwise be spent touching grass and seeing family! Games are supposed to be fun, and for most, GT7 simply isn't. Things have to change if this series is to survive the next decade, because at this rate, it won't.
Excuses?
PD does not even make excuses. They don't communicate at all.
 
I don't know if this is the best place to express my displeasure at the state of Gran Turismo, but Forza has really exposed some of the shortcomings of the franchise and I have to say something.

GT7 is a great game in a lot of ways. It has the best physics, the best graphics, the best sounds and the best customisation to date, however it will not go down in history as a classic like GT4. You want to know why? Excuses. Lame excuses to justify some of the truly baffling design decisions that only serve to infuriate the community for no reason at all. Why push the ultra-expensive cars into a seperate dealer? Why have menu books? Why have a "world map"? Why have such a poorly laid out career mode? Why can't we buy the vehicles eligible for a championship without having to quit out of the race menu, go into Brand Central, go into the dealer, get the car, choose the colour and return to the event menu with another half a dozen button presses? Not even GT4 was this complicated. Fact is, PD have done a lot of things right in the past, but nowadays they aren't. Why no arcade mode? Why can't we just pick a car, pick a track and go? Is that really soo hard? Why do we have to earn money to simply drive a car on our own terms? Yes, I do like a good career mode (not saying GT7's is) where I earn my way up through the rankings, but some days I just want to get in and go. Why not give people that choice? It's soo stupid and pointless. PD and Sony have intentionally pulled the rug out from underneath us to push microtransactions, which is pretty ****** if you ask me. The strategy they have adopted is divisive, stupid and idiotic, preventing GT from ever expanding beyond it's already small niche. Give the people choice, just like you did all those years ago. Why regress? Why put the ultra-expensive cars behind a paywall? Why force people to grind for hours and hours just to drive one car for a few minutes? It's a total waste when you can drive anything you want without any grinding in Forza Motorsport. Don't give us "free" updates when certain cars require a stupid amount of grinding to obtain. Time is not something that everybody has on their side, so please, for the love of God, just let people do what they like! If they want to play career mode, that's fine. If they just want to get their hands on their favourite car for a few minutes, that's also fine. I may like being put into a box (because I'm part cat) but others don't so open the gates! Let people live out their driving fantasies without having to lose precious time that could otherwise be spent touching grass and seeing family! Games are supposed to be fun, and for most, GT7 simply isn't. Things have to change if this series is to survive the next decade, because at this rate, it won't.
I join your point of view, what your comment inspire me is that next GTs need to let gamers play and drive any car in the game in sort of arcade mode like in GT3 A-Spec (to me the best arcade mode, simple and efficient). But in an other part, gamers should own cars only if they progress in the career mode and they reach ranking more and more. Then they can play online with and personalize them.
To me it bring more sens and desire to play.
I think the ranking system in GT7 is completely useless because it's limited to 50points (not sure) and is reacheable very fast.
PD have to exploit more the ranking system and delete the limit. It will give more sens to see ranking point to driver that play better or more than others.
And finaly i think in the career mode PD should integrate online chrono time in races/missions etc to compare with gamers and friends (so far it is partially present but not completely in career mode and races career)
 
Last edited:
No october thread of what i could see, but guess its the standard 3-4 cars, december update i could see being a bigger one
 
Okay, I give up. What sodding track is this?!

View attachment 1294078

I don't recognise the section of track at all, and the filename is obscured or blurred throughout:


View attachment 1294079
Could it be Twin Ring Motegi ? :

2015_twin_ring_motegi.png
 
No october thread of what i could see, but guess its the standard 3-4 cars, december update i could see being a bigger one
There was one, but it was closed not too long after it was created.
 
There was one, but it was closed not too long after it was created.
Largely due to being created during the maintenance window for the September update.
 
I actually think he might have just identified the picture of Twin Ring Motegi as Twin Ring Motegi.. and wasn't talking about your post at all.

He circled the entire part of the track map that's in the picture of Twin Ring Motegi...:drool:
If Twin Ring Motegi is actually Twin Ring Motegi, oh joy! I just love me some Twin Ring Motegi.
praise gospel GIF
 
I actually think he might have just identified the picture of Twin Ring Motegi as Twin Ring Motegi.. and wasn't talking about your post at all.

He circled the entire part of the track map that's in the picture of Twin Ring Motegi...:drool:
Make It Stop My Brain Hurts GIF by Monty Python
 
Did you miss the bit where it was clearly identified as Slovakia Ring?

I actually think he might have just identified the picture of Twin Ring Motegi as Twin Ring Motegi.. and wasn't talking about your post at all.

He circled the entire part of the track map that's in the picture of Twin Ring Motegi...:drool:
Yes i had made the mistake of identfying the bigger photo, please accept all applicable apologies, I shall now be sacked...
 
Last edited:
Anyone know what flags these are? first time seeing them in my game.
View attachment 1295304
While I wouldn't necessarily expect you to be familiar with Chinese Taipei (the let's-not-offend-China name for Taiwan in international events) and Cyprus, I struggle to believe you don't know Canada and the USA...
 
Last edited:
While I wouldn't necessarily expect you to be familiar with Chinese Taipei and Cyprus, I struggle to believe you don't know Canada and the USA...
No I mean the first 2.
 
While I wouldn't necessarily expect you to be familiar with Chinese Taipei (the let's-not-offend-China name for Taiwan in international events) and Cyprus, I struggle to believe you don't know Canada and the USA...
More precisely, the first one is the flag of the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee, and in fact there is the well known five-rings Olympic emblem in it. The flag of Chinese Taipei (also known as Republic of China and very often as Taiwan, I always call it so, simply Taiwan) is this one:

800px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png
 
Last edited:
Guys how do I start this activity? If I click “start activity”it launches the game but it doesn’t seem to register that any activity/goal has started and says I have zero active activities.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 26
Guys how do I start this activity? If I click “start activity”it launches the game but it doesn’t seem to register that any activity/goal has started and says I have zero active activities.
Happy to hear someone else fill in here but I think that’s a PlayStation function that works better in other games, honestly I haven’t tried it. If I’ve been in Sport Mode it presents the option to hop back in but how can I know for sure which race it enters me in? I suppose you could of course easily just cancel if it’s one you don’t want to do but again, I haven’t found a use for this function.
 
Yeah it’s the same with other activities, like it will give a sort of specific task but when the game launches it just takes you to the world map with no indication how or where to accomplish the task or that the task is even officially under way
 
More precisely, the first one is the flag of the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee, and in fact there is the well known five-rings Olympic emblem in it. The flag of Chinese Taipei (also known as Republic of China and very often as Taiwan, I always call it so, simply Taiwan) is this one:
And while that's all true, it's of no actual use as an answer to the question posted.
Guys how do I start this activity? If I click “start activity”it launches the game but it doesn’t seem to register that any activity/goal has started and says I have zero active activities.
That's just a PSN Trophy. Check the Trophy list for the requirements.

Also the Trophy list on GTPlanet:

And in our Guide:

And in our Trophy walkthrough:
 
Last edited:
And while that's all true, it's of no actual use as an answer to the question posted.

That's just a PSN Trophy. Check the Trophy list for the requirements.

Also the Trophy list on GTPlanet:

And in our Guide:

And in our Trophy walkthrough:
I don’t think you understand, I am familiar with the requirements for completing the activity, I’m saying that it doesn’t let me START the activity.

If I click “Start Activity”, the game launches but nothing else happens. If I then push the PlayStation button and go to “activities”, it says I have started zero activities, and that same activity (which I just pressed “Start Activity” for) is listed as not being started and with an option to (once again) choose to “Start Activity”
 
Last edited:
I don’t think you understand, I am familiar with the requirements for completing the activity, I’m saying that it doesn’t let me START the activity.

If I click “Start Activity”, the game launches but nothing else happens.
I don't think you understand; that is starting the activity.


How it manifests depends on the game and the activity. In this case the activity is collecting cars in GT7 - I can't remember how many and you've long since burned through any goodwill I have (and continue to do so) to be bothered to look it up - so starting the activity launches the game, in order that you can, you know, collect cars.

In other activities for other games it can take you to a specific part of the game for a specific task, but since all of GT7 is about collecting cars...
 
IMO that's a rather useless "feature". Or maybe I didn't yet find a game where it works. On The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and The Crew 2 the button always did exactly the same as clicking the game icon itself.
 
IMO that's a rather useless "feature". Or maybe I didn't yet find a game where it works. On The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and The Crew 2 the button always did exactly the same as clicking the game icon itself.
So few games use it properly, and you'd think a big, first-party title would be one...

I think one of the Crash games and maybe Astro's Playroom do.
 
Back