Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
You can have "serious" physics with a controller. I played ACC with a controller and if anything it was far easier to control than GT which punishes you pretty severally for pushing a car past its limits.
youre joking? right? assetto feels great on a wheel but after mine stopped working I just couldn't play it again because it wasn't fun at all on the controller

I'm not sure I understand what you mean @rex1825 ? Do you not like dynamic weather/time?

For me personally It's a feature I could go without, but I appreciate that PD made an effort to include it. I just hope it won't lag too bad on my PS4 non-pro.
I also have standard PS4... currently Jailbroken (9.0), but as soon as Horizon Forbidden West comes out, it'll be updated since I have preordered HFW, GT7 and Elden Ring...

I can assure you it'll run same as GTS does, there is a guy on YT (Vanilla) not sure you've watched his videos, he played with Jailbroken PS4 and GTS and miracles can be done in that game... 24h day cycle, up to 35 car on track simultaneously, some other stuff, and his standard PS4 runs fine... so...

Last edited:
On the controller debate, it is possible to have a more realistic sim type game and still be fun with a controller. I have played and enjoyed Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Raceroom, ACC, and Auto Mobillista 2 each with my wired Xbox One controller.

Though, I have to admit that I had to alter the settings a bit on each sim before I could truly enjoy it with said controller. That is the issue meant with making GT7's physics on par with ACC for instance. Which is one great thing I can say about getting into these games late, there were setups already made for me to try. This is good because I'm too lazy to try messing around with settings myself. :lol:

On the controller debate, it is possible to have a more realistic sim type game and still be fun with a controller. I have played and enjoyed Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Raceroom, ACC, and Auto Mobillista 2 each with my wired Xbox One controller.

Though, I have to admit that I had to alter the settings a bit on each sim before I could truly enjoy it with said controller. That is the issue meant with making GT7's physics on par with ACC for instance. Which is one great thing I can say about getting into these games late, there were setups already made for me to try. This is good because I'm too lazy to try messing around with settings myself. :lol:
That’s the benefit of being in this gtp community, someone or Many have tested and Shared those set ups.

GT4 was a good game for it's time, but that time was 17 years ago. If the feel hadn't changed in 17 years, that would be cause for some concern.
Having spent a bit of time with it this afternoon, and having been playing computer games since the days of my Spectrum 128k +2, I still find it somewhat amazing how far we've come, and how amazing modern games are, despite some of the more trivial criticism people seem to bring up.

This is my honest question, but are they really just 3D CG renders (made using Rhinoceros 3D just as the hashtag says)?

I think the cameraman is not reflected by the car's body in those and any previous pictures, so currently there's no evidence that they're the real photos, but...

Last edited:
You say that, but GT4 was a great shift from the previous games, and has largely been used as a template for later games. Sport made some very specific changes and no longer feels like a strange expansion pack, but the overall feel of the game is still very much in line with GT4.
It's nothing like GT4 in terms of feel.

To my surprise GT sport beta already had the dynamic cockpit camera movement exactly like in the recent GT7 videos. I wonder why they cut it out in final version and now bringing it back.

I'm new here and really confused by this. Why would GT try to compete with the likes of ACC and iRacing when they have successfully maintained relevance in the simcade category for decades?

To me GT has always been a car game not a racing game, it's everything around the racing that makes it special. GTS is obviously a bit of an outlier in this with it's online eSports focus.
In the early days of Gran Turismo the state of vehicle dynamics simulation was such that GT was actually pretty good as far as simulations went, especially consumer oriented simulations. There was a few that were better, but they were quite user unfriendly and inaccessible. GT4 was probably the last game where Gran Turismo was arguably still in the top tier of consumer simulation software. GT4 wasn't necessarily considered simcade, it was thought of by many as one of the better sims and that was a fair and supportable opinion.

With the rise of GTR, rFactor, Live for Speed, iRacing and many others it became clear that not only was GT5 a step down from where the industry leaders were, but that Polyphony didn't necessarily want to go down that route. That's an understandable commercial decision given their target market, and has been reinforced with how they've chosen to build GT6 and GTS.

But Polyphony and Kaz continue to push the realism angle beyond a reasonable amount of marketing spin. As such, some people get confused and think that this drive for realism is an actual goal for Polyphony and that Gran Turismo should be aiming for these more "hardcore" simulations. There's even a small minority that believe that Gran Turismo is actually a superior simulation and already competes handily with ACC or iRacing as an accurate vehicle simulator.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if GT7 was simply GT Sport but with some new cars and tracks. After having 2 years worth of free content updates in Sport I'd happily buy GT7 and view it as a continued expansion. However as typical with a new game, there are even more features on top of the new cars and tracks, so I'll probably be quite happy with it.

Perhaps I'm easier to make happy than others regarding GT7, however I like to think that people complain because of their passion for the series and desire for the game to be at its best.

I'll be dedicating the first month or 2 to just having fun, be it singleplayer or multiplayer, before seeing about starting up some league racing events again.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but GT7 will apparently need at least 110GB on the PS5 version.

Another is, the description of the game on the PS Store shows "over 400 cars" instead of "over 420 cars", suggesting that there could potentially be more cars on the way (at best, at the high 400's).

IMG_1636.PNG

One can imagine how big the game will be on PS4, as PS5 games, despite the higher quality, are smaller in size due to their unique file compression technologies. And when updates with new cars and tracks come, prepare for an extremely long copying time...

Last edited:
In the early days of Gran Turismo the state of vehicle dynamics simulation was such that GT was actually pretty good as far as simulations went, especially consumer oriented simulations. There was a few that were better, but they were quite user unfriendly and inaccessible. GT4 was probably the last game where Gran Turismo was arguably still in the top tier of consumer simulation software. GT4 wasn't necessarily considered simcade, it was thought of by many as one of the better sims and that was a fair and supportable opinion.

With the rise of GTR, rFactor, Live for Speed, iRacing and many others it became clear that not only was GT5 a step down from where the industry leaders were, but that Polyphony didn't necessarily want to go down that route. That's an understandable commercial decision given their target market, and has been reinforced with how they've chosen to build GT6 and GTS.

But Polyphony and Kaz continue to push the realism angle beyond a reasonable amount of marketing spin. As such, some people get confused and think that this drive for realism is an actual goal for Polyphony and that Gran Turismo should be aiming for these more "hardcore" simulations. There's even a small minority that believe that Gran Turismo is actually a superior simulation and already competes handily with ACC or iRacing as an accurate vehicle simulator.
Thank you for this context. I did not know that simracing was still in it's infancy when GT4 was released and as such was considered a simulation. Seems ridiculous now, but hey time sure makes fools of us all.

Obviously the simulation and simcade line is pretty hazy, but no matter what the differences are simcades always try to keep things user-friendly. No matter what the genre is, but if you want to simulate real life closely you always loose that.

It would be difficult to have realistic physics while offering hundreds of completely different cars and not requiring the player to spend hours tuning the setup of the car.

GT should definitely drop the now ironic "The real driving simulator" slogan. For me GT is perfect right now and I like that there are the likes of ACC if I want to dive deeper at some point.

I find it hilarious that some people demands more realistic physics in a game like Gran Turismo, as if PD would suddenly completely change the formula after 25 years.

Unlike a serious sim, Gran Turismo needs to be enjoyable with a controller.

Of course there’s room for improvement, but to say Gran Turismo should play like sims such as Assetto Corsa and iRacing is just naive.
Others find it hilarious (rather sad I mean) that some people demands the franchise to continue to be stuck in the past physics wise, as yes PD should catch up with times and begin to evolve its formula.

Like a serious sim, GT can perfectly be enjoyable with a controller, just like at ACC, dirt2 etc can too (with some tweaks). They can be played perfectly with a controller, specially Dirt2, and they feel sim enough. Hell, even Reiza has managed to fix Madness playability on controller with their version of pC2, which is ams2.

Of course there needs to be a lot of improvement on physics ,which is unlikely so long Yamauchi stays in the lead (it needed to be said regardless some may not like to hear such things), but to say Gran Turismo should play like sims such as Assetto Corsa and iRacing is something only you have come up with, as nobody here implied something like that. Just the series to get a comprehensive evolution physics wise, that was.

Last edited:
How do you figure that lowering the advertised number means that there could be more cars?
The "Powered by PS5" shows a build of GT7 with around 428 cars and was uploaded in mid-December (suggesting the build may have been around that time or November). Obviously, that's not even a final build just yet, and who knows what else they're working on as of the moment. After all, as of the time of writing, it's 39 days before launch, so only a matter of time before it goes gold.

The "over 400" can range anywhere from that 428-car figure, should they choose to release it that way, or perhaps something even higher, like the high 400's (around 450+ to 490+), but below 500. Whatever they want to add in the game at launch, they will add it. It's the same thing when GT Sport launched, they promised over 140 cars, then over 150, and in the end, it launched with 167 cars.

That probably isn't the final number just yet and they're still likely going to put in a few more cars before the game goes gold. Either way, that's beyond my knowledge, and I hope we get the final car list for launch soon, with some surprises in there.

Last edited:
The "Powered by PS5" shows a build of GT7 with around 428 cars and was uploaded in mid-December (suggesting the build may have been around that time or November). Obviously, that's not even a final build just yet, and who knows what else they're working on as of the moment. After all, as of the time of writing, it's 39 days before launch, so only a matter of time before it goes gold.

The "over 400" can range anywhere from that 428-car figure, should they choose to release it that way, or perhaps something even higher, like the high 400's (around 450+ to 490+), but below 500.

That probably isn't the final number just yet and they're still likely going to put in a few more cars before the game goes gold. Either way, that's beyond my knowledge, and I hope we get the final car list for launch soon, with some surprises in there.
Yes, i get the feeling its around the 450 mark. But updated the wording so it doesn't sound like its just over 420.
Because saying "over 420" is oddly specific in a way, without saying an exact amount which im guessing is always changing.

So saying over 400 is simplifying it?
I agree it could mean more.

Last edited:

The "over 400" can range anywhere from that 428-car figure, should they choose to release it that way, or perhaps something even higher, like the high 400's (around 450+ to 490+), but below 500. Whatever they want to add in the game at launch, they will add it. It's the same thing when GT Sport launched, they promised over 140 cars, then over 150, and in the end, it launched with 167 cars.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. The reason people assume 420-440 when they read 420+ is that if it was significantly higher than 420 they would write that. There's no reason to write 400+ if you're looking at a car list of 450. If you have a car list of 460-490, there's REALLY no reason to write 400+ instead of 450+, all you're doing is shooting yourself in the foot.

The reasons for writing 400+ when 420+ was previously written are:
1. The number in game hasn't changed, they're just using a nice round number.
2. The number in game has changed to the point that 420+ would be incorrect and this is the start of them amending their marketing material.

If they were putting more cars in game, Sony and Polyphony would be the first to want to tell you about it. There is zero advantage to them lowballing this.

Last edited:
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. The reason people assume 420-440 when they read 420+ is that if it was significantly higher than 420 they would write that. There's no reason to write 400+ if you're looking at a car list of 450. If you have a car list of 460-490, there's REALLY no reason to write 400+ instead of 450+, all you're doing is shooting yourself in the foot.

The reasons for writing 400+ when 420+ was previously written are:
1. The number in game hasn't changed, they're just using a nice round number.
2. The number in game has changed to the point that 420+ would be incorrect and this is the start of them amending their marketing material.

If they were putting more cars in game, Sony and Polyphony would be the first to want to tell you about it. There is zero advantage to them lowballing this.
Yeah i get what youre saying, if it was over 450, they would say 450+ cars.

Starting to over think this now.
Well, we know it has over 400 cars anyway 🤣

The skeptical part of finds it highly unlikely they're adding cars still. If they were smart they'd have their mesh/texture artists focus on the first batch of post-release content while the rest of the team focuses on playtesting and bug fixing.

Last edited:
The skeptical part of finds it highly unlikely they're adding cars still. If they were smart they'd have their mesh/texture artists focus on the first batch of post-release content while the rest of the team focuses on playtesting and bug fixing.
Right, at this stage they're not suddenly finding an extra 50 cars up their sleeves.

It's possible (but still unlikely) that there was a handful of cars that were due to be finished but weren't going to make it (artists got the rona or whatever maybe) and so the number advertised for release would have to drop. Even if that were to be the case, those cars will be partially done and will likely be added in free very shortly after release so it wouldn't even really a functional change, just Sony/PD protecting themselves against false advertising claims.

The joys of our modern world where workers can be laid low for 2+ weeks with basically no warning.

Yeah, he made some good points on how he plays the game. Just speaking it out about the controller and wheel preferences.

Back