Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,471 comments
The year is 2022, and people still think that "next gen" is even possible anymore, despite two (soon to be three) entire generations to the contrary.

Back in the '80s and '90s, gaming was changing massively every few years because tech was changing alongside it. Since about 2006, gaming has not really changed, not because developers are getting "lazy" (they're quite the opposite), but because tech reached a certain point.

The PS5 is just a PS4 Pro II. That's all technology will really allow anymore. Dread them, run from them, but upper limits arrive all the same.
TL;DW - The title says it all, bad games are better than bland games.
No. Whether a game is "bland" or not is almost entirely up to opinion. It's a dirty word used to describe games one merely dislikes. All throughout gaming history, there are examples of bizarre games that were called "bland" by people who fundamentally cared little for anything those games were trying to do.

Naturally, there are also examples of the opposite. Take Halo, for example. It's not a very original game at all; it's an arena shooter sort of game made by a company that had already been known for a series of those, the Marathon series. Halo, at least at first, was modeled quite a bit after Unreal. The things that Halo genuinely does differently are questionable at best, and often have to be changed over the years; did you know that vehicles cannot be damaged whatsoever in the first Halo? Who thought that was a good idea? But everyone calls Halo this gamechanging masterpiece, and it's for a very specific reason that has nothing to do with the game itself; it just happened to come out in the right place at the right time.

The idea of bad games, however, is merely treated as an opinionated minefield. The truth is that there are actual ways of figuring out what a game does wrong and precisely why it's doing anything wrong at all. Gran Turismo historically not having damage, and this somehow being some huge detriment, is a matter of taste and opinion. Gran Turismo 5 having cars that permanently disappear from the used car lot is a clear error, as it means that you require outside and perhaps even esoteric information; someone else has to go through the effort of testing it and also to be sure they're actually right.

Last edited:
GT7 doesn't need to be game-changing to be good.
Unless you have evolved very little specially in the physics area 25 years since, let alone if you still define yourself as "The Real Driving Simulator".

And if to that we add the overwhelming factor that the more modern sims (and not that modern, since Assetto Corsa already dates from '12) have looong surpassed anything physics wise GT had to offer, then one can presume there is needed some game-changing stuff, not to become good maybe, but yes to be more up to date to today's standards simulation wise.

The game will have 428 super premium cars at launch which i think are a lot especially considering the amount of detail that these cars have...and probably they will add a lot of cars with future updates like they did with GTS.
Than we will have improved physics, dynamic time and weather with real time generated volumetric clouds and according to Kaz with drying lines that will form with the passage of the cars (this will open a lot of variables on race strategies) , classic tracks that will make a comeback like Trial Mountain or Deep Forest, tuning, career mode etc...honestly i wasn't expecting all of this stuff on a game that has to run also on the base ps4 but i guess people are never happy these days
Is asking for new content and features from a new game really asking too much in your eyes? Why should we be happy just because they're giving us things back they took away?

If GTS hadn't existed and this was just GT7 following GT6 would you be praising all this stuff as a selling point? No, because you'd have just had it all in GT6, never taken away.

But as it is they took it all away for one game and now we're supposed to be excited they're so kindly bringing it back?

No. Whether a game is "bland" or not is almost entirely up to opinion.
Did anyone say it wasn't? "Bad" can be objective, but it can also be subjective too. When lots of people agree on these subjective qualities of games, they then become useful descriptors of the game. That's why we have criticism and reviews, not only to identify objective facts about the games but to provide information on the subjective experience.

If you want to debate terms, then you're probably going to have to go further than the TLDW and watch the actual video. It's not exactly massive. Otherwise you're just mowing down strawmen.
Yeah, i agree, i played Gran Turismo 4 recently and feels exactly like Gran Turismo Sport. Only difference was the graphics really.
No. There are some common physics flaws in all the GT physics systems, but if GT4 feels exactly like GTS to you then that only tells the rest of us that you are completely unable to detect and identify meaningful aspects of a physics system by playing the game.

Is asking for new content and features from a new game really asking too much in your eyes? Why should we be happy just because they're giving us things back they took away?

If GTS hadn't existed and this was just GT7 following GT6 would you be praising all this stuff as a selling point? No, because you'd have just had it all in GT6, never taken away.

But as it is they took it all away for one game and now we're supposed to be excited they're so kindly bringing it back?
First of all i don't care if it was on GT6 since after GTS wasn't playing it, second the returning features like the dynamic weather surely will be a massive upgrade from the GT6 ones...not talking about online, tuning that seems to have more options that in the past, new physics,improved online,career mode etc...why i should not be exited since this GT it seems to have all what i ask from a racing game...if by new features you mean things like better crash physics and stuff it's not on my top priority but i guess everyone has it's own preferences

Last edited:
First of all i don't care if it was on GT6 since after GTS wasn't playing it, second the returning features like the dynamic weather surely will be a massive upgrade from the GT6 ones...not talking about online, tuning that seems to have more options that in the past, new physics,improved online,career mode etc...why i should not be exited since this GT it seems to have all what i ask from a racing game.
Nobody said you couldn't be excited, did they? But you then decided to question why people might not be so excited, so I gave you the reason, as the person you replied to had already alluded to.

I don't want to keep playing the same game over and over with a few incremental updates. I want to see new ideas, have them try new things. Something they have actually always done over the years. GT7 is (so far) the first game with no new features and no new tracks. Again, if that doesn't bother you, fine. But don't act surprised if it bothers other people. It's a perfectly legitimate gripe.

Last edited:
Did anyone say it wasn't? "Bad" can be objective, but it can also be subjective too. When lots of people agree on these subjective qualities of games, they then become useful descriptors of the game. That's why we have criticism and reviews, not only to identify objective facts about the games but to provide information on the subjective experience.

If you want to debate terms, then you're probably going to have to go further than the TLDW and watch the actual video. It's not exactly massive. Otherwise you're just mowing down strawmen.
Ah, so you're just targeting me now, got it.

The entire point of that video is to make a declarative statement, and to explain why it's an important one. That is not simply someone expressing an opinion, but someone attempting to share research and the experience from being one of the oldest names on the internet.

When large groups of people supposedly agree on something that's subjective, what's far more likely is that they're trying to fit in or be part of a trend. We have so-called "criticism", often actually ranting about things that aren't true or don't matter, because we are told repeatedly that everyone's voice is important no matter the circumstances. We have reviews because a long time ago, entrepreneur types realized that they could make money off of said ranting, and they continue to do so.

This is all offtopic, but so was the video. The point is, you cannot sincerely apply the concept mentioned in the video to Gran Turismo 7 of all things, never mind that the concept is wrong at its core.
No. There are some common physics flaws in all the GT physics systems, but if GT4 feels exactly like GTS to you then that only tells the rest of us that you are completely unable to detect and identify meaningful aspects of a physics system by playing the game.
You say that, but GT4 was a great shift from the previous games, and has largely been used as a template for later games. Sport made some very specific changes and no longer feels like a strange expansion pack, but the overall feel of the game is still very much in line with GT4. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, by the way, but it is a thing. Your attempt to claim that ThePotatoKing is undiscerning is elitist nonsense at best, much like the wheel elitists.

Nobody said you couldn't be excited, did they? But you then decided to question why people might not be so excited, so I gave you the reason.

I don't want to keep playing the same game over and over with a few incremental updates. I want to see new ideas, have them try new things. Something they have actually always done over the years. GT7 is so far the first game with no new features and no new tracks. Again, if that doesn't bother you, fine. But don't act surprised if it bothers other people.
How do you know the game hasn't new ideas when you still haven't played it...man just wait for the next Forza and go with that instead of wasteing your time on a franchise that you have never liked it seems

Last edited:
How do you know the game hasn't new ideas when you still haven't played it...man just wait for the next Forza and go with that instead of wasteing your time on a franchise that you have never liked it seems
There you go again with Forza, you're obsessed. When will you get it into your head I do not play Forza? I have played every Gran Turismo game, I enjoyed them greatly as a youngster, but guess what? I'm not a child any more, time has moved on and my expectations have changed.

Also, please read properly. I said it's the first game with no new features and no new tracks so far. As in, we still have 6 weeks to go and they may announce something then. But with my lack of a DeLorean I can't go into the future, so I'm commenting on what we know right now. It bothers me right now. It won't bother me if it's not true in 6 weeks time.

Last edited:
Discussion has been about what we’ve see up til now, that’s been a concern. Sure, the game may have new features, but it’s close to release date. That’s the concern, gripe, roll of the eyes, etc. Even the Starting Line clips are only showing what have risen from the ashes after getting burned to the ground.

Same licence tests, same tracks, same formula. Some players want to see some of that fresh innovation PD brought to the first series of GT. As mentioned umpteen times in nearly every thread, we haven’t seen it yet. Again, so close to release. If PD are going to surprise us with some new features, they sure are keeping them well hid.

edit: tree’d

Last edited:
Oh, you're bothered, are you? If anything gamers have done for the past decade or so has made any sense, it's that they aren't really bothered about all of these terrible accusations they keep hurling at companies, and are actually just looking to cause chaos.

If all of these PD haters would actually stop to look at what PD has actually done all these years, they wouldn't be PD haters anymore. One doesn't have to be some "mouthbreathing fanboy" to realize that video game developers are not trying to ruin everything that one holds dear. That's the real story here, and it always will be.
What on earth are you talking about? Yes, it bothers me that a new game doesn't have much, if any, new stuff it in. I genuinely still can't believe that that position continues to be taken as crazy, now i'm supposedly trying to "cause chaos" and throwing "terrible accusations"? Give me a break.

You're making a far bigger deal of this than I am, and typically labelling anyone that dares to have issue with the game as a "PD hater". No, I'm a grown adult who can look at a video game as an adult and talk about aspects I don't like, or a direction I don't like, like a grown adult. I don't hate companies en masse because I don't like all aspects of their product nor do I get stroppy and tell people to go away if they don't share my views, I'm not 7.

Last edited:
It's not crazy at all. In fact, it's disturbingly common, and unbelievably frustrating.

Accuse me of whatever you like, that doesn't make it true. I am being realistic, based on years of watching this play out in many communities. It's always the same, year after year. At some point, it's not really possible to be nice about it anymore.

It's not crazy at all. In fact, it's disturbingly common, and unbelievably frustrating.

Accuse me of whatever you like, that doesn't make it true. I am being realistic, based on years of watching this play out in many communities. It's always the same, year after year. At some point, it's not really possible to be nice about it anymore.
You find it disturbing and unbelievably frustrating that people expect a new game to contain new features and content?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

See, now you're just playing at being a misunderstood critic. Not interested.

Anyway, used cars are historically bad. I hope the new system is less miserable. That is all.

See, now you're just playing at being a misunderstood critic. Not interested.
No, I'm a gamer on a video game discussion forum expressing utter confusion that I apparently shouldn't expect a new game to include new content, and that other people somehow find that frustrating and disturbing. It's absolutely bizarre.

You just seem to keep skirting around whatever point it is you're trying to make. That fans should sit quietly and never critique games? That it should be positive echo chambers only? That we should just accept whatever product we're given and be happy with it? Do enlighten me, because I honestly can't work out what you're getting at.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean @rex1825 ? Do you not like dynamic weather/time?

For me personally It's a feature I could go without, but I appreciate that PD made an effort to include it. I just hope it won't lag too bad on my PS4 non-pro.

Last edited:
Ah, so you're just targeting me now, got it.
By replying to your responses to me? Yeah, you caught me, buddy. How dare I respond to posts directly aimed at me. The sheer nerve of me.
You say that, but GT4 was a great shift from the previous games, and has largely been used as a template for later games. Sport made some very specific changes and no longer feels like a strange expansion pack, but the overall feel of the game is still very much in line with GT4. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, by the way, but it is a thing. Your attempt to claim that ThePotatoKing is undiscerning is elitist nonsense at best, much like the wheel elitists.
Lol wut? The feel is similar in some respects, they're games from the same franchise and developers. But to claim that GT4 "feels exactly like" GTS is clearly bollocks. Anyone who sincerely believes that to be true is either lying or simply incapable of comprehending the differences. Even the change from GT4 to GT5 was pretty significant and we're a solid decade past that.

Like, do you actually agree that GT4 feels exactly the same as GTS? Why would you defend that particular statement?

No, I'm a gamer on a video game discussion forum expressing utter confusion that I apparently shouldn't expect a new game to include new content, and that other people somehow find that frustrating and disturbing. It's absolutely bizarre.

You just seem to keep skirting around whatever point it is you're trying to make. That fans should sit quietly and never critique games? That it should be positive echo chambers only? That we should just accept whatever product we're given and be happy with it? Do enlighten me, because I honestly can't work out what you're getting at.
Don’t worry dude you aren’t taking crazy pills. Posting concerns about GT7 on GT Planet and it’s subreddit will always be defended by the biggest of fans but honestly that’s to be expected.

I see a lot of discussions here turn into arguments rather than debates and commentary into personal insults.

For the record from what PD have chosen to show so far GT7 isn’t next generation and there are a lot of people they think that too.

In an ideal world PD instead of just reading about our concerns would take them into consideration (AI being the prime example) but they rarely do and that’s just how it will be.

I honestly think GT7 will get better when more content is added and VR is enabled because at this point it is just a GTS+

Your attempt to claim that ThePotatoKing is undiscerning is elitist nonsense at best, much like the wheel elitists.
I've just fired up GT4 to see how my lap times compare now to what they were when GT4 was the latest game. I was going to do a comparison of the E46 M3 at the Nordschleife with both games, but I can barely get around the track now in GT4, it's frustrating and feels alien. I spent like a solid year just trying to hone my lap times with that specific combo back in the day. The feel is night and day, it's neither elitist nor nonsense to acknowledge that.

1642860651267.png

Wonder what gt7 will have to offer, hopefully expanded online features, the GT cafe sounds interesting though, wonder what will take part there?

I've just fired up GT4 to see how my lap times compare now to what they were when GT4 was the latest game. I was going to do a comparison of the E46 M3 at the Nordschleife with both games, but I can barely get around the track now in GT4, it's frustrating and feels alien. I spent like a solid year just trying to hone my lap times with that specific combo back in the day. The feel is night and day, it's neither elitist nor nonsense to acknowledge that.

View attachment 1107585
GT4 was a good game for it's time, but that time was 17 years ago. If the feel hadn't changed in 17 years, that would be cause for some concern.

I find it hilarious that some people demands more realistic physics in a game like Gran Turismo, as if PD would suddenly completely change the formula after 25 years.

Unlike a serious sim, Gran Turismo needs to be enjoyable with a controller.

Of course there’s room for improvement, but to say Gran Turismo should play like sims such as Assetto Corsa and iRacing is just naive.

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that some people demands more realistic physics in a game like Gran Turismo, as if PD would suddenly completely change the formula after 25 years.

Of course there’s room for improvement, but to say Gran Turismo should play like sims such as Assetto Corsa and iRacing is just naive.
I'm new here and really confused by this. Why would GT try to compete with the likes of ACC and iRacing when they have successfully maintained relevance in the simcade category for decades?

To me GT has always been a car game not a racing game, it's everything around the racing that makes it special. GTS is obviously a bit of an outlier in this with it's online eSports focus.

Why ? You still can have physics improvement in many aspects in future gt games and still keep it simple without setups and with good pad support.

You can have "serious" physics with a controller. I played ACC with a controller and if anything it was far easier to control than GT which punishes you pretty severally for pushing a car past its limits.

Back