Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,396 comments
This is the way it has become in the gaming world. Comparing Gran Turismo with another long standing big title game, Gran Theft Auto, you can see how the development progress has slowed right down. GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas all came out (on the PS2) within the space of 4 years. GTA IV and GTA V arrived (on the PS3) within 5 years. The current (PS4) gen hasn't even had it's own title, just a ported PS3 version. Ignoring Grand Theft Horseo (RDR2), we haven't seen a GTA since 2013. Seven years. The online versions of games make up for some of this gap as it keeps games fresher, but not every gamer is bothered by that aspect.

You can also look at Naughty Dog, another first party developer. Three Uncharted games + Last Of Us on PS3, just UC4+LOU2 on PS4. Half the output purely in number of games, on a console that is by all accounts far easier to work with than PS3.

One thing is most developers have learned they can make more money with much less time and invested resources by adding different "packs" or additional content to an original existing title with a price to buy rather than coming out with an entirely new game.

ACC for instance with the gt4 pack is one example, just by adding cars and/or track packs they can make any series of racing you want to see building off the original base games coding.

IL 2 Sturmovik combat flight sim is another example on the PC that does a lot of the add on type of content as well.

As a consumer I actually prefer this method of utilizing a game to keep it new and fresh at smaller bites at a time with pricing but keeps the game where you are still playing it.

I think this will be more of the future and the main time you will see complete changes for many franchises is when the games engine must be upgraded to use newer tech features that are not possible with the older game specs.

Last edited:
The GT twitter account acts like nothing special happened. Sure, Covid must be a part of the problem but something else happened at Poly. GT7 was the first game showed with gameplay, menus... And three months later not even a single news, picture or interview? Where are the interviews with Kaz? Poly was forced by Sony to unveil GT7 but the game is still years away?

The GT twitter account acts like nothing special happened. Sure, Covid must be a part of the problem but something else happened at Poly. GT7 was the first game showed with gameplay, menus... And three months later not even a single news, picture or interview? Where are the interviews with Kaz? Poly was forced by Sony to unveil GT7 but the game is still years away?
Maybe it’s just everyone sleeping in the studio, not even going outside again :D too much work

Sony just wanted to show what games they have in the works for PS5. A bunch of games still have as much info about them as GT7, which I suspect is a 2021 game anyway.

GTSport is a not traditional GT ?...

It contains school, Missions, Career mode (with almost 200 events !!! From sunday race to endurance), Drift Mode, car upgrades, car settings, hotlaps, custom races, custom parts, photo mode, online lobbies, online events... all of this was on previous GT

+ liveries + VR + circuit experience + mode sport + online championships... this is new in GTSPORT as an addition of a traditional GT

Some people don't know anything else than mode sport... but the content is there.
Nice revisionism from you there. GTS is NOTHING like a traditional GT game. At. All. Even PD knew that. It was about destroying and breaking everything about GT and doing something NEW. Sport mode. Everything they have added since then has been.... substandard and not worthy of the game name.

Nice revisionism from you there. GTS is NOTHING like a traditional GT game. At. All. Even PD knew that. It was about destroying and breaking everything about GT and doing something NEW. Sport mode.
Why the missions/drift mode/car settings/hotlaps/custom races/custom parts/photo mode/online lobbies/online event don't count for you there?

Maybe the Car and Driver article posted a few times was updated. But to me it seems to read that the PS5 is coming out Nov. 12 and that GT7 is...”soon” as per the article. Unless I misread.

Maybe the Car and Driver article posted a few times was updated. But to me it seems to read that the PS5 is coming out Nov. 12 and that GT7 is...”soon” as per the article. Unless I misread.
Yes they updated it, it originally stated categorically that GT7 would be Nov 12 as well.

Nice revisionism from you there. GTS is NOTHING like a traditional GT game. At. All. Even PD knew that. It was about destroying and breaking everything about GT and doing something NEW. Sport mode. Everything they have added since then has been.... substandard and not worthy of the game name.

Not worthy and substandard for you... For me GT Sport is the best GT ever in every part (or almost every part).

And the VR mode is a dream came true for any GT fan and any car fan, getting inside the game, inside every car and track this way and at this level of detail is mind-blowing and mind-hacking. Even if it can't for now play with more IA and online, but it is huge the mind effect, like a drug.

Also in 2D, I remember I couldn't focus on driving the first 2 weeks because of how beautiful and detailed all was in GTS compared to previous GT , graphics, sounds, physics, ... (that were awesome each one at their time too).

Last edited:
These are confusing times indeed. GT is a major Sony IP but it's not getting the treatment it deserves. The other games in the July showcase have seemingly got more attention, with extra footage and trailers appearing in the most recent showcase. Several questions have to be asked here: Was PD forced to show something in the July showcase? Was it rushed? Did PD decide to release the original trailer on their own accord? Do Sony care about the game? Why haven't we heard anything? Is that a problem with PD or Sony? Do Sony want to keep things hidden from us in order to surprise everybody? How much longer do we have to wait? Is Sony afraid to announce a delay?

Letting this game fall by the wayside is worrying, so you have to question the priorities of Sony's Management and PR Department. They can't leave us hanging, we want to know what's happening!

These are confusing times indeed. GT is a major Sony IP but it's not getting the treatment it deserves.

It could also be...that Polyphony decided to show something off, there's no ulterior motives to the July showcase, and that the next trailer will come when it comes?

I swear to god, GT fans are absolute masters of acting like the sky is falling and playing Chicken Little, while also thinking that Kaz is doing some sort of 4D chess while also thinking that he was forced to do something from Sony, when Sony literally has Kaz on the Playstation board and there is very few people who could realistically override him.

It could also be...that Polyphony decided to show something off, there's no ulterior motives to the July showcase, and that the next trailer will come when it comes?

I swear to god, GT fans are absolute masters of acting like the sky is falling and playing Chicken Little, while also thinking that Kaz is doing some sort of 4D chess while also thinking that he was forced to do something from Sony, when Sony literally has Kaz on the Playstation board and there is very few people who could realistically override him.
Oh, I'm making a ludicrous claim!

Wow, that's big of you to say that about me and all of the other GT fans on this site. Damn. Can't we ask questions?

After Gran Turismo 4, the long and bumpy wait to Gran Turismo 5 left lasting psychological damage on fans haha. I’m joking but I think there’s some truth to that in a way. We are all afraid of worst case scenario because we’ve seen our hopes and expectations not met.

After Gran Turismo 4, the long and bumpy wait to Gran Turismo 5 left lasting psychological damage on fans haha. I’m joking but I think there’s some truth to that in a way. We are all afraid of worst case scenario because we’ve seen our hopes and expectations not met.
"We"? You speak French?:sly:

I'm just happy to race in the virtual world. I'm not as picky as some. At the crux, as long as PD continue to allow full race replays, I'm good.

1 month for the PS5 launch obviously GT7 is not in the first games list, i believe it goes for 2021 Q1-Q2
What are the odds that the game will come Q1-Q2 when every single GT got released in Q4? Including both Prologues and the PSP version. The only exception is GT Concept that got released January 1st.

What are the odds that the game will come Q1-Q2 when every single GT got released in Q4? Including both Prologues and the PSP version. The only exception is GT Concept that got released January 1st.

GT1 outside of Europe was May and GT3 everywhere was April-July.

I still agree though, Q4 is most likely.

Looks like we will be getting only one GT game for the PS5 Life-Cycle.
If it drops close to the PS5's release, IMHO it'd be nice to get another one with, say, 2 years left in the cycle.

I wouldn't expect major changes to the game's format, but a few more cars, some more tracks and updates to trackside details such as grass, trees, crowds, birds or whatever will help bring life to the tracks, something that was sorely lacking in GT1->6 IMHO. The only thing missing from those old tracks was the sound of crickets. :lol:

In the interests of balance, I should say that I'm stoked that the days of cardboard-cutout trees seem to have been left behind for the most part. 👍

Back