Gran Turismo 7: Latest news and discussion thread

• Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 39,400 comments
Notice how it mentions the DualShock 4, meaning the listing is at least 5 years old at this point. So don't expect Nascar in the next update is what I'm saying.
this is from the 2024 jobs offer on polyphony digital website itself, it could be about improvement for PS5 PRO / GT7. it wasn't there 4 months ago... at least I dont remember that one and I dont remember a company keeping older jobs online many years after it was published and got people hired. Dunno... may be you' right. I tried the application form myself just right now and it's still opened.

Last edited:
Interesting to note according to True Trophies (which uses a sample of 3.2m PSN profiles) GT7 continues to be a top 20 most played title on PS5 & PS4. Most of the top 20 are made up of GAAS, the big sports titles, and the odd single-player AAA.

Top 40 PS5 and PS4 games (week ending Sunday, March 31, 2024)​

PositionGamePublisherLast week
icon
FortniteEpic Games1
icon
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare IIActivision2
icon
EA SPORTS FC 24Electronic Arts3
icon
HELLDIVERS 2Sony Interactive Entertainment4
icon
Grand Theft Auto VRockstar Games5
icon
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTHSquare Enix6
icon
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six SiegeUbisoft7
icon
Rocket LeaguePsyonix8
icon
RobloxRoblox9
icon
MinecraftMojang Studios10
icon
Overwatch 2Blizzard Entertainment11
icon
NBA 2K242K Games13
icon
Apex LegendsElectronic Arts14
icon
Dragon's Dogma 2Capcom Entertainment12
icon
Destiny 2Bungie15
icon
Elden RingFromSoftware16
icon
Gran Turismo 7Sony Interactive Entertainment18
icon
Genshin ImpactCognosphere22
icon
Marvel's Spider-Man 2Sony Interactive Entertainment17
icon
Madden NFL 24Electronic Arts21

Last edited:
I’m 99% sure PD are working on a PS5 only GT. Increasingly, I wonder if that’s going to be GT8 or some sort of GT7 Special Edition.

I do think we’ll get a substantial PS5 Pro update later this year. How substantial will determine if GT8 is imminent.
I agree, i also belive we Will se a major update with a release of ps5 pro

I think there will be an update for the Pro to take advantage of the upscaling tech it supposedly has, but that update will be graphical enhancements only - it's highly doubtful the PS5 Pro will get its own separate version of games (any, not just GT), so I wouldn't expect anything to do with content or gameplay like bigger grid sizes or more Sophy usage or anything like that.

I think there will be an update for the Pro to take advantage of the upscaling tech it supposedly has, but that update will be graphical enhancements only - it's highly doubtful the PS5 Pro will get its own separate version of games (any, not just GT), so I wouldn't expect anything to do with content or gameplay like bigger grid sizes or more Sophy usage or anything like that.
Same thoughts. GT7 could already handle a bigger grid size on PS5 but we are still locked to 20.

I have a question about the hybrid system on the ts050 I'm watching a video and the hybrid energy will last the entire lap but in gt7 is no where near like this?

Any reason is it a design choice by pd?

Interesting to note according to True Trophies (which uses a sample of 3.2m PSN profiles) GT7 continues to be a top 20 most played title on PS5 & PS4. Most of the top 20 are made up of GAAS, the big sports titles, and the odd single-player AAA.

Top 40 PS5 and PS4 games (week ending Sunday, March 31, 2024)​

PositionGamePublisherLast week
icon
FortniteEpic Games1
icon
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare IIActivision2
icon
EA SPORTS FC 24Electronic Arts3
icon
HELLDIVERS 2Sony Interactive Entertainment4
icon
Grand Theft Auto VRockstar Games5
icon
FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTHSquare Enix6
icon
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six SiegeUbisoft7
icon
Rocket LeaguePsyonix8
icon
RobloxRoblox9
icon
MinecraftMojang Studios10
icon
Overwatch 2Blizzard Entertainment11
icon
NBA 2K242K Games13
icon
Apex LegendsElectronic Arts14
icon
Dragon's Dogma 2Capcom Entertainment12
icon
Destiny 2Bungie15
icon
Elden RingFromSoftware16
icon
Gran Turismo 7Sony Interactive Entertainment18
icon
Genshin ImpactCognosphere22
icon
Marvel's Spider-Man 2Sony Interactive Entertainment17
icon
Madden NFL 24Electronic Arts21
I kind of figured that Fortnite would be in the top 5 of the list and I was correct.

Last edited:
I have a question about the hybrid system on the ts050 I'm watching a video and the hybrid energy will last the entire lap but in gt7 is no where near like this?

Any reason is it a design choice by pd?

The hybrid is deployed manually by the driver similar to the super formula expect it recharges under braking. The only possible reason I can think of that it's still automatic in game is that setting it as nitrous would be too restrictive.

I’m 99% sure PD are working on a PS5 only GT. Increasingly, I wonder if that’s going to be GT8 or some sort of GT7 Special Edition.

I do think we’ll get a substantial PS5 Pro update later this year. How substantial will determine if GT8 is imminent.

And I think they are more focused on supporting GT7 and preparing GT8 for PS6 release. There is really no need of new title, especially that GT7 still is on „best selling games” lists in many countries.

The „only PS5” GT game won’t be as big leap as some people think it will be.

I think it will end up in just adding two „Pro” modes. 60FPS + RT in gameplay and 120FPS without RT (but better than standard PS5)

I wonder if they will upgrade PSVR2 mode for pro.

Last edited:
Why that? I think they are working on a PS6 title to be honest.
But he's 99% sure! Either there's so much evidence that it's impossible for anyone to ignore objectively or... it's just an opinion loaded with confirmation bias and a silly stat meant to convince others of its validity, but who'd do a thing like that!?

And I think they are more focused on supporting GT7 and preparing GT8 for PS6 release. There is really no need of new title, especially that GT7 still is on „best selling games” lists in many countries.

The „only PS5” GT game won’t be as big leap as some people think it will be.
The ‘need’ is to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. It is a business after all and every studio needs to play their part. GT8 is a sure home run - but we’ve seen plenty of paid updates to Sony Studio titles - albeit most have been PS4 only titles coming to PS5.

It’s much more tricky to monetise an updated GT7. Would it be an all new PS5 SKU, a paid update for existing users, both? Would it come alongside a PC SKU?

If it was my decision I’d put out a tech update for PS5 Pro alongside Spec III later this year. Then GT8 sometime in late ‘25 - early ‘26. With PS6 expected late ‘28 that still gives PD quite some time to work on GT9 for the new system.
I think it will end up in just adding two „Pro” modes. 60FPS + RT in gameplay and 120FPS without RT (but better than standard PS5)

I wonder if they will upgrade PSVR2 mode for pro.
The question will be how extensive the RT update is as that’s a prime focus of PS5 Pro. New upscaling tech also gives PD more options (and headroom) rather than targeting native 4K.

It’s difficult to tell what the limitations of the PS4 are in GT7. For every track and feature PD need to factor in the machine - which adds to their workload. At least with Sophy they’ve already made the break. A PS5 only SKU would help them greatly to push PS5 and PS5 Pro.

The ‘need’ is to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. It is a business after all and every studio needs to play their part. GT8 is a sure home run - but we’ve seen plenty of paid updates to Sony Studio titles - albeit most have been PS4 only titles coming to PS5.

Look how long games live currently. This is not 90’s or early 2000 anymore. Game development and marketing costs are muvh much bigger than used to be. It is no longer profitable to sent new game every 2-3 years.

It’s much more tricky to monetise an updated GT7. Would it be an all new PS5 SKU, a paid update for existing users, both? Would it come alongside a PC SKU?

They already put microtransactions to monetise it + the game still sales very well

If it was my decision I’d put out a tech update for PS5 Pro alongside Spec III later this year. Then GT8 sometime in late ‘25 - early ‘26. With PS6 expected late ‘28 that still gives PD quite some time to work on GT9 for the new system.

Ps5 pro is here in late 2024 probably. You would burn money for updating GT7 just to send new game just an year later? That doesn’t make sense. Remember GT8 is not just development cost but huge marketing cost…

The question will be how extensive the RT update is as that’s a prime focus of PS5 Pro. New upscaling tech also gives PD more options (and headroom) rather than targeting native 4K.

It’s difficult to tell what the limitations of the PS4 are in GT7. For every track and feature PD need to factor in the machine - which adds to their workload. At least with Sophy they’ve already made the break. A PS5 only SKU would help them greatly to push PS5 and PS5 Pro.

There is really not that big difference beetween PS4 and PS5 you are really overhyping „next gen only” games. Look at Forza it is next gen only and it fails in nearly all aspects…
New game engines are made to be scalable. PD really didn’t cut anything just to make GT7 run on PS4.

Why that? I think they are working on a PS6 title to be honest.

I would not be supriced if we got like gt8 before ps6 is released, ps6 is most likely not coming out until late 2027 at best maybe even 2028, i doubt next gt game will release any later than 2027, 2026 is not even out of the window, all depends on how much they support gt7, but next year gt8 will proably already be revealed around june, 2027 release for gt8 would make sense as its 30th year anniversary.

Last edited:
GT7 still selling well, in the PS5 top 20 (Europe).

No urgency to release something new when the current one is going strong.
Maybe making GT8 PS5 exclusive will bring PS4 only owners to PS5/PS5 Pro. Surely Sony would want greater profit than what the system sells now.

That list shows quite starkly why Sony are pivoting towards service games. No Horizon, no God of War, no Last of Us, Spider-Man 2 already off of one region's charts and just hanging on in the other.

That GT7 is still charting in month 25 should dispel any thoughts that it isn't a super important IP to Sony, it's the only one they really have that can be evergreen like that (Helldivers might join it in the long term too).

Back