Gran Turismo 7 Revealed for PlayStation 5

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,404 comments
They're trying for that though with "past, present, and future" thing, namely by the offline content from previous GT and online content for GT Sport. I've always wanted to see the map styled menu modernized, and I finally got it here. I feel like for easy navigation, they have to readd the shortcut menus GT1/GT2 employs.
That actually wouldn't be too hard to do. What I would do with the UI is perhaps keep the city map style, but make it a grid system like New York City for instance. Then, navigation would be less complex to go between menus and I do agree about the shortcut idea. I kinda miss that from GT1 or 2, they probably could implement that at the top similar to GT Sport's top menus. In which, gives me an idea for a U.I. design. I might have to get on that later.

@Imari For GT Sport what do you think about what they do? (with the exception of the horrid content they add later of course)

That actually wouldn't be too hard to do. What I would do with the UI is perhaps keep the city map style, but make it a grid system like New York City for instance. Then, navigation would be less complex to go between menus and I do agree about the shortcut idea. I kinda miss that from GT1 or 2, they probably could implement that at the top similar to GT Sport's top menus. In which, gives me an idea for a U.I. design. I might have to get on that later.
Grid system?
One mistake GTS does is that if you go through another menu, the Top Screen disappears and instead writes off the place you're in (like "Brand Central") that takes not much space....

Grid system?
This, the city streets of Manhattan (in NYC) are organized like a grid. There's right angles and straight lines, a lot like how modern game U.I.s operate to make navigation easy to the player. Now, there could be modifications to the grid system to make it look more interesting. Like the background can include not just buildings, but parks and ponds. (like NYC's central park)
102465273-map-of-the-island-of-manhattan-new-york-city-indonesia-with-the-largest-highways-roads-and-surroundi.jpg

One mistake GTS does is that if you go through another menu, the Top Screen disappears and instead writes off the place you're in (like "Brand Central") that takes not much space....
Okay, then we'll just not have the game do that then. I said "similar", not the exact same.

I just realized the Mazda in GT7 doesn't have transmission whine, at least in this case, while it did in GTS.
EDIT: I think it does, just really quiet.

By the way, GT7 was 4k 60FPS with ray tracing on certain objects. The only AAA game to do that at the show iirc. Probably why they are still having technical hiccups. Its one hell of a bar.

Things that worry me:
1. We don't know if its always online like gt sport
2.No release date,and since this is clearly a work in progress i wouldn't be surprised if it is a 2022 game

Regarding improvements to career/GT mode; I would like to see the immersive and necessarily restrictive seasonal structure of games like Project Cars, F1 and Grid Autosport, combined with the RPG-style, "grind however you like" freedom of the old GT games. I love the intensity of locked-in championships with practice and qualifying sessions and challenging opponents, but being able to chase 15 rabbits around Trial Mountain, sideways in an overpowered F40 for a few bucks afterwards would be an excellent palette-cleanser! Perhaps if you could only enter one championship at a time - where the big cash and most desirable cars are won - but you can enter any single races whenever you like? Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Regarding the "it will be/needs to be released on PS4" argument ; Polyphony is a flagship, technically innovative and highly expensive studio. They have always been an important asset for Sony when it comes to selling new hardware - a couple of million copies of PS4 software is irrelevant to them when they are looking at recouping the enormous development costs of the PS5. I understand wishful thinking - if my thrustmaster doesn't work on PS5, I don't know what I'll do - but please don't hold your breath.

It’s simple. “We” isn’t everyone. Maybe it’s 70%.
Ok then, the majority of GT players want the game to return to it's roots.
GT4 was good at the time, but it really doesn't actually hold up that well if you go back and play it now.
That's funny, because I think it holds up really well. The gameplay is still excellent, even if the controller is a bit dated and graphics are an eyesore. To me, the game still feels modern despite the fact it's 15 years old. There's something about the presentation that I love soo much, and I want it to come back.

Last edited:
I don't have the game, but looking back, GT4 would be a great game if released with touches from GTS.

If GT7 had the endurance races. 9 hours, 4 hours, etc. Add the 20 cars, dynamic weather, today's graphics, all cars in Super duper ultra ultra magnus premium, of course competitive AI, it'd be an awesome game.

The tuner races at Apricot Hill, MX-5 endurance, all that would be such a good experience in GT7.

I think GT4 still holds up for everything it's got. Amazing we've played these early games with only 6 cars on track.

I don't have the game, but looking back, GT4 would be a great game if released with touches from GTS.

If GT7 had the endurance races. 9 hours, 4 hours, etc. Add the 20 cars, dynamic weather, today's graphics, all cars in Super duper ultra ultra magnus premium, of course competitive AI, it'd be an awesome game.

The tuner races at Apricot Hill, MX-5 endurance, all that would be such a good experience in GT7.

I think GT4 still holds up for everything it's got. Amazing we've played these early games with only 6 cars on track.
That's what I'm saying; the whole experience can be improved upon with the tech we have now.

That's what I'm saying; the whole experience can be improved upon with the tech we have now.
I also understand about the Sunday Cup thing.

I recall thinking how GT6 changed at the start. We jump in the Clio at Brands Hatch. Learn the physics with a bit of instruction how the game functions. However, we go right back to Sunday Cup.

To change the start of GT7, I feel the return of seasonals would help. Literally, pick any TT or a race. Use the loaner car for that race. Set a time and that places you as a Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond driver. Enter races to get your National B(or whatever) Licence as a Bronze driver.
A player that sets Diamond times. They continue on as a Diamond driver, etc. Maybe A Diamond drivers skips straight to a Super Licence.
A Bronze driver still gets a Super Licence, but as a Bronze driver.

It's just a thought off the top. Not saying that's what I want.

Anyone notice where it says "city" in the tuning menu? I wonder if were going to get the Gran Turismo city that Kaz brought up some years back.
I would like a city/town with working traffic lights, stop signs, parking, highways, etc to bring cop lobbies to the next level. Doesn’t have to be a full on map like FH4 or TC2, but something average. One “track” for each country in the America’s (US), Europe (UK, France, Italy, Germany) and Asia/Oceania (South Korea, Japan, Australia)...

That's funny, because I think it holds up really well. The gameplay is still excellent, even if the controller is a bit dated and graphics are an eyesore. To me, the game still feels modern despite the fact it's 15 years old. There's something about the presentation that I love soo much, and I want it to come back.

I mean, this is going to be personal preference either way. But I think that the graphics and the presentation are just fine. It's not an awful looking game, and it has a visual style that is quite timeless. You wouldn't make a game that looks like that today, but it's not unpleasant to look at and play like say, PS1 Tomb Raider.

I think the gameplay is where it misses. The "game" is largely "is your car powerful enough to beat this conga line?" While there's some interesting ideas for races, in execution they're just dull. I still think GT3 and 4 are probably the best GT games, but having gone back and played them not that long ago the actual racing is pretty mediocre. The fun is everything except the racing, and while that's really cool it's also a shame that they can't give the supposed core of the game that same magic.

I mean, if you take GT4 and fix all the faults with it then of course it's an amazing game. You can say that about any game, fix the faults and it's great. The faults with GT4 are the problem.

There is absolutely good stuff in there that can be used as a basis for a modern game. And should be used as a basis, because that lineage is part of what makes Gran Turismo what it is. But it absolutely shouldn't just be copied wholesale for the seventh time.

I can hear it already :D
View attachment 930547

Home sweet home

Here you go:

Apart from this, I think I'm into the map menu because of it being unique, currently it's the only one to employ that between its competitors (outside of literal map menu when like, freeroaming) which all use standard menu, though yeah it can be harder to navigate. For those who doesn't want it because of it being more impractical, I'm thinking about, can you make a map menu being practical? I'm thinking about adding shortcut menu GT1/GT2 has, and would it be more practical if it shows everything in 1 screen (only GT4 has parts not visible to the screen, not GT1/2/3)? But any other ideas, or if my idea here would work?

I would like a city/town with working traffic lights, stop signs, parking, highways, etc to bring cop lobbies to the next level. Doesn’t have to be a full on map like FH4 or TC2, but something average. One “track” for each country in the America’s (US), Europe (UK, France, Italy, Germany) and Asia/Oceania (South Korea, Japan, Australia)...
I was expecting this for the map menu if it reappears (which it finally does in GT7!) with modern technology. I think that if the city can only be used as a background in the early GT games, what if the city could function with the nowadays' technology. They seem to do this a bit where there are light dots probably representing cars moving around the city (red trails probably would be better?), I think they should make it correspond to the time, where at daytime the city would be bright, at night time the city would be dark like it's shown in the trailer. Probably for the final stage they could implement free roam (to teach driving in the cities) by using the city menu as the setting (you can drive to Home, Tuning Shop, etc.)?

I also understand about the Sunday Cup thing.

I recall thinking how GT6 changed at the start. We jump in the Clio at Brands Hatch. Learn the physics with a bit of instruction how the game functions. However, we go right back to Sunday Cup.

To change the start of GT7, I feel the return of seasonals would help. Literally, pick any TT or a race. Use the loaner car for that race. Set a time and that places you as a Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond driver. Enter races to get your National B(or whatever) Licence as a Bronze driver.
A player that sets Diamond times. They continue on as a Diamond driver, etc. Maybe A Diamond drivers skips straight to a Super Licence.
A Bronze driver still gets a Super Licence, but as a Bronze driver.

It's just a thought off the top. Not saying that's what I want.
Or that's more about how racing games usually work? Where you start low to work up to the top? GT follows (and is known of) this principle, just that it only feels the same because the first event is always named Sunday Cup? Project CARS is a notable exception that allows you to start on top. So what are some ways to have GT still start in low but doesn't feel repetitive (I wonder if just changing the first event name to not be "Sunday Cup" would work :lol:)

It would be a great game but more touches and improvement is always welcome no matter how great it already is. But somehow I feel like those that preach for modern stuff and looking only stuffs from other games.... would mean that any GT stuff is bad and has no redeeming qualities to them and should be scrapped altogether with things from other games... which sounds like just play other game instead of GT (to me the suggestions sound like turning GT into another game franchise entirely).

Anyone notice where it says "city" in the tuning menu? I wonder if were going to get the Gran Turismo city that Kaz brought up some years back.

Sure hope so... although i am unfortunately not confident about it... please Kaz...

Here you go:

i would be perfectly happy if it was exactly like in the video... those GT4 sounds .... so good !! takes me back ! on top of gorgeous graphics... i dont need more, but i will take more ;)

Sure hope so... although i am unfortunately not confident about it... please Kaz...

i would be perfectly happy if it was exactly like in the video... those GT4 sounds .... so good !! takes me back ! on top of gorgeous graphics... i dont need more, but i will take more ;)
Man... i hope they do something like the transmission mode in GTS, where you can put the game to actually sound like GT4, that'd bring me a huge smile :D

Here you go:

Or that's more about how racing games usually work? Where you start low to work up to the top? GT follows (and is known of) this principle, just that it only feels the same because the first event is always named Sunday Cup? Project CARS is a notable exception that allows you to start on top. So what are some ways to have GT still start in low but doesn't feel repetitive (I wonder if just changing the first event name to not be "Sunday Cup" would work :lol:)

Monday Cup.
Case-of-the-Mondays-2-768x404.jpg

Back